Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Food & Entertaining
  What's your favorite casserole?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's your favorite casserole? Sign In/Join 
Picture of Quiltzilla
posted
The first Friday night each month we have a sew-till-midnight-dinner party at our quilt shop. It's been over a year & I'm tired of my own ideas!
I need a casserole to feed 15 people, not too expensive, not too messy, & must be able to be prepared the night before or reheated.
I've already done:
salads
baked potato bar
lasagne
crock pot soups
chili
red sauce/noodle casserole
chicken & rice casserole
quiche
Got any great ideas?

Posts: 6627 | Registered: Aug 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Here ate some that come mind:

hot chicken salad
Poppy seed chicken
Chicken spaghetti
Chicken/turkey tetrazzini

Martha

Posts: 5432 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
A taco bar. We used to do that at work

Martha

Posts: 5432 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
Chicken and Spaghetti - a good cool weather comfort food.

I make my mother's recipe with some variation -
deboned and chopped cooked chicken
Cooked spaghetti (break into 1/3's for easier serving)
cream soup (I use light cream of mushroom)
roasted red peppers or chopped pimientos
mushrooms
onions - chopped
celery (if you like celery)
chicken broth
shredded cheese
Salt and pepper to taste

Combine everything except cheese, add broth to moisten. Pour into casserole sprinkle cheese and bake until bubbly.

The nice thing about this - add in or leave out to make it to what you prefer or have on hand.

I have a Mexican Casserole with ground beef that I will post later.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Charming,

Posts: 3407 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jackierenette
posted Hide Post
How about a breakfast casserole, chicken or chili bean enchilada casserole. I use allrecipes.com to find new ideas.

All your other recipes you used sounds good to me. Their easy and quick to make.

Posts: 2994 | Location: Liberty, S.C. | Registered: Mar 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I make a layered veggie casserole... when LOCAL stuff is at it's best. No strict amounts or specific veggies required. Everything that goes in can be eaten raw, so how long you cook it is totally up to you.

I layer THINLY sliced veggies... tomatoes, onions, zukes/yellow squash... alternating a few handfuls of seasoned croutons or even boxed stuffing mix and liberal amounts of shredded cheese... sharp cheddar is one of my favorites. If I have them... I'll add thin sliced pepper and mushrooms... could use any veggie you like. Top with cheese and into 350 oven till bubbly. One of those things that's even better as a left-over.

Posts: 5578 | Location: mount holly, NJ, USA | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post

Posts: 16558 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Indexlady
posted Hide Post
My go-to casseroles are a chicken and dressing casserole, the "King Ranch" casserole, and beef stroganoff casserole.

Posts: 4407 | Location: In the beautiful Tennessee Valley, between the Cumberland Plateau and the Great Smoky Mountains. | Registered: Jul 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CA Lori
posted Hide Post
Indexlady, I googled King Ranch casserole. It sounds delicious, but I'm wondering if you do the "from scratch" version or the canned soups? I suspect it wouldn't be half as good if you used the cans, right?

Posts: 5887 | Location: Calif. | Registered: Sep 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Indexlady
posted Hide Post
I've done it both ways and both are good. Time is usually the deciding factor.

However, there's not that many ingredients, so they must all be the best that YOU like--some corn tortillas are much better than others, some chickens taste better, and so on. They all combine to make the flavor of casserole.

My mother loved a particular off-brand soup, but I didn't. So, get the ones YOU like. Ditto with Rotel tomatoes. Some prefer another brand.

Posts: 4407 | Location: In the beautiful Tennessee Valley, between the Cumberland Plateau and the Great Smoky Mountains. | Registered: Jul 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Spanish Revival
posted Hide Post
Eggplant Parmesan, Tuna Casserole (I love it!) Baked Ziti. I have a question, are you in charge of the entire main meal, or are you asking for side dish casseroles as well? I have a ton of really good side dish casserole that include all kinds of vegetables.

Posts: 908 | Location: Florida | Registered: Aug 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ice cream party. Probably too messy for quilting and not exactly stick to the bones food but fun and fattening. Let folks design their own sundaes, banana splits, milkshakes etc. One big melted mess. Ouch

Or a

Hot Dog Party

Have the ingredients for

A Chicago Dog

A New York Dog

A Coney Island

A Hawaiian Hot Dog ??

A What in the world is that Dog

Etc

and Potato casserole made with tater tots or etc.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Leafly,

Posts: 755 | Registered: Sep 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
I suggested this casserole when asked for luncheon ideas for an upcoming meeting.

Overnight Hot Chicken Casserole
Must be prepared one or more days before baking.
Serves 12 – 15
4 or 5 – 1 lb. chicken breast halves, boneless with skin on
Salt, pepper & paprika

2/3 cup raw Mahatma brand extra-long grain white rice
2 cups boiling water
½ teaspoon salt

2 - 10 ¾ ounce cans Campbell’s Cream of Chicken soup
1 ½ cup Hellman’s or Kraft mayonnaise (do not use light or fat free)
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup chopped sweet yellow onion (Colorado, Texas, Vidalia type)
1 – 8 0unce can sliced Geisha or LaChoy water chestnuts, well drained
2 cups celery, thinly sliced
8 ounce package fresh mushrooms, thinly sliced
5 teaspoons lemon juice
2 - 2 ounce jars Dromedary sliced pimentos, diced

¼ cup butter
1 tube (4 ounces) regular flavor Ritz crackers, crushed fine

Preheat oven to 350°. Place boneless chicken breast halves in 9X13” baking pan with high sides, skin side down. Sprinkle them generously with salt, pepper and paprika. Turn skin side up and sprinkle again. Pour ¾ cup water along edge to bottom of pan.
Bake for 40 – 45 minutes or until juices run clear when pierced once with a fork. Set aside to cool.

Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, bring to boil 2 cups water & salt; add dry rice and stir to mix. When water comes back to a boil, cover pan, reduce heat to simmer for 25 minutes until the rice has absorbed the water and is done, stirring occasionally. Set aside.
Whisk together in large mixing bowl canned soup, mayonnaise and salt until smooth.
Fold in the onion, water chestnuts & celery.
As you thinly slice the mushrooms, sprinkle them with the lemon juice.
Fold mushrooms and pimento into the soup mixture.
Stir in the rice until no clumps remain.
When chicken is cool enough to handle, discard the skin and dice into ½” cubes. Measure out 5 cups of chicken cubes and fold into the creamy rice mixture. (You may have extra for other use.)
Rinse out pan chicken was baked in and grease it lightly. Spoon mixture into the prepared pan.
Melt the butter in a medium saucepan and stir in the crushed Ritz crackers. Sprinkle evenly on top of casserole. Cover with Saran Wrap and refrigerate overnight.

Bake in 350˚ oven, uncovered, for 45 to 60 minutes until bubbly and hot in center when tested with a baking nail or fork. Let rest 10 minutes before cutting to serve.

Posts: 2642 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Nov 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quiltzilla
posted Hide Post
You're all terrific!
I knew you'd have some great ideas.
@SR- Yes, I provide the whole meal.
Originally we had a potluck, but many participants are coming straight from work & were just picking up something random at the store on the way. So we decided to charge & make dinner ourselves, so at least it's a cohesive homemade meal. But since I'm coming straight from work, it needs to be something I can make ahead or reheat.

posted Hide Post
Yummy, yummy, yummy! I am looking forward to trying out your great ideas, everyone. Thank you!

Posts: 6052 | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Do you need any of the recipes. I'll be happy to post any that you may want.

The taco bar is easy for all of the toppings can be prepared ahead (or bought like sour cream) and the meat cooked and it just needs reheating. And, of course, there are shells you can buy that don't need to be cooked.

Let me know if you need any of those recipes.

Martha

Picture of nance425
posted Hide Post
quote:
Poppy seed chicken
Chicken/turkey tetrazzini

Martha: could you post these recipes? I haven't had Chicken Tetrazzini in a long time....

Posts: 4582 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: Dec 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quiltzilla
posted Hide Post
Thanks.I'd like to see the chicken recipes.
I've done taco bars before, too, but it's just a little messy for a sewing night at the shop.

posted Hide Post
This makes me hungry.

Posts: 755 | Registered: Sep 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
HOT CHICKEN SALAD

2 cups cooked chicken breast meat, cubed
1 cup diced celery
1/2 cup slivered almonds
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 cup mayonnaise
1 cup grated sharp Cheddar
2/3 cup crushed potato chips
Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 13 by 9-inch baking dish with vegetable oil cooking spray.

In a large mixing bowl combine the chicken, celery, almonds, salt, pepper, lemon juice, mayonnaise, and cheese. Place the mixture in the prepared baking dish. Spread the crushed potato chips on top. Bake for 20 minutes, or until bubbly.

Martha

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
I often take this to people who have lost a loved one.

POPPY SEED CHICKEN

3 cups chopped cooked chicken
1 (10 3/4-oz.) can cream of chicken soup, undiluted
1 (16-oz.) container sour cream
3 teaspoons poppy seeds
31 round buttery crackers, crushed
1/4 cup butter, melted
Preparation

1. Combine first 4 ingredients. Spoon mixture into lightly greased 11- x 7-inch baking dish.
2. Stir together cracker crumbs and melted butter; sprinkle evenly over casserole.
3. Bake at 350° for 35 to 40 minutes or until hot and bubbly.

Martha

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
CHICKEN/TURKEY TETRAZINI

4 cups cooked diced chicken (or turkey)
salt and pepper
8 ounces spaghetti, cooked and drained
6 tablespoons butter
8 ounces sliced mushrooms
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup light cream or half-and-half
2 cups chicken broth
1/4 cup dry sherry
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
ground sweet paprika, optional

Heat the oven to 425°. Butter a 9 x 13 dish.
Cook spaghetti or noodles according to package directions. Meanwhile, in skillet, melt 2 tablespoons butter over medium-low heat; sauté sliced mushrooms until golden. In a saucepan, melt 1/4 cup butter; stir in flour, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Stir until smooth; add chicken broth and cream. Cook, stirring, until sauce is thickened. Add chicken, cooked mushrooms, and sherry; heat through. Place noodles or spaghetti in a buttered baking dish; pour on sauce. Top with Parmesan cheese and sprinkle with paprika. Bake at 425° for 15 to 20 minutes, until hot and bubbly.

NOTE: Sometimes spaghetti can be hard to eat in a crowd so I might substitute a forkable pasta -- of course, then it would be true tetrazini, but would it matter?

Martha

Picture of nance425
posted Hide Post
Thank you so much Martha...

Posts: 4582 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: Dec 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
Halfway through raising kids we discovered Poppy Seed Chicken. I could rarely make enough and kept increasing the amounts and even doubled the recipe.
I found it was difficult to fit this into a meal menu that I liked. What starchy vegetable to serve with a very creamy rich entree. Didn't really need bread with the crumb topping. Usually did a green vegetable for a side.

One day at work colleagues were talking about a chicken recipe they served over noodles or rice or mashed potatoes. It was Poppy Seed Chicken!

All those years we'd been eating it straight! Problem solved, we like it best over noodles now.

Posts: 2642 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Nov 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quiltzilla
posted Hide Post

posted Hide Post
I know I am really late on replying but I have a wonderful recipe for reuben casserole that is super easy to make.

32 oz of sauerkraut well drained
1 lb of shaved corn beef
8 oz thousand island dressing
6 - 8 oz of shredded Swiss cheese

Put sauerkraut on the bottom of
a 9x13 pan. Put corned beef on top
of the sauerkraut. Spread the
thousand island on top of the corned
beef. Sprinkle the cheese on top.
Bake at 350 for 30 minutes. Serve
with rye bread.

Posts: 512 | Registered: Dec 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
We make this much requested casserole every year for our church's Oktoberfest. It is a much requested item!

Martha

Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
Quiltzilla - which one did you serve?
We always like to hear 'the rest of the story!'

Picture of Pebbles03b
posted Hide Post
Pizza casserole from my mother-in-law.

Posts: 1314 | Location: IN, USA | Registered: Dec 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
It has to be a casserole that my father made many many years ago. I can remember that I just couldn't get enough it was so good.

It consisted of mostly fresh lump Crabmeat and Shrimp along with eggplant, eggs, cheddar cheese and topped with Progresso Italian bread crumbs and more cheese.

Geez, I wish I had the recipe. Yummy

Whether You Think You Can Or You Think You Can't..... You're Right - Henry Ford

Posts: 7284 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post