Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Food & Entertaining
  OT - thinking about getting a wig
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

OT - thinking about getting a wig Sign In/Join 
Picture of CA Lori
posted
Trying to let my hair grow and it's at a terrible stage right now. If you wear a wig, do you have any advice or recommendations to pass on?

I ran into a lady in Wal-Mart around Christmas and commented on her pretty haircut. She said it was a wig! She told me where she got it (someplace online in southern Calif.), but of course I didn't write it down so now that I'm seriously thinking about getting one, I don't remember the website.

Posts: 5887 | Location: Calif. | Registered: Sep 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nettiejay
posted Hide Post
I was flipping through the shopping channels a few weeks ago and happened upon a presentation of Toni Brattin wigs at shopnbc.com. I was struck at how natural and "un-wiggy" they looked. If I were in the market for one, I'd try one of them.

Posts: 4349 | Location: zone 6b, Missouri | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jackierenette
posted Hide Post
CALori,I have been saying for 2 years I wanted a wig.I know my Dm wore them in the 1970's when I was small.I have oily hair and have to wash & style it everyday.Ugh,it is a process sometimes.I have been wearing ponytails a lot this spring & lately.

Nettiejay & CaLori....Well a few weeks ago B4 I went vacation,I ordered 2 ponytail from Toni Brattin on ShopNBC.I had watched the show on & taped it.I liked how they looked & easy care.I got a double Toni-pony and a long Toni-pony.The double one can be flipped upside down to wear as 2 different ways.One I got in dark blonde and the other one in medium blonde (it has lighter highlights mixed with shades of blonde.Yes I sometimes put highlights in myself and sometimes just stay natural dark blonde.Wink
Well after 2 weeks vacationing,in & out of the sun,my hair turned a gold blonde..yuck..UGH.So today I am a light brown.LOL.They Toni-ponys don't match right now.But my hair fades color fast.So in 2 weeks it will look perfect.

I say look up and watch the videos and order a couple of different ones.She has a few shorter wigs at great prices too.I love mine and plan to use the curly double Toni-pony at DH sis wedding next month.Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jackierenette,

Posts: 2994 | Location: Liberty, S.C. | Registered: Mar 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jackierenette
posted Hide Post
Came back to say the hair pieces feel just like real hair.My family even thought it was my real hair,fooled them.LOL...They are washable & if you get the curly ones they are memory curl bounce back hold.Easy!!

Posts: 2994 | Location: Liberty, S.C. | Registered: Mar 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Funny to see this thread, a friend got one and I couldn't tell it was a wig, I thought she got a haircut and color, it looked so real and good.
I went to a shop a few weeks ago and was surprised how comfortable they were, not hot or uncomfortable, I could hardly tell I had it one. I am going to go back, I decided I wanted something just like my own hair.
Another friend went though chemo and wore one, honestly I liked her wig better than her real hair, she hated the wig, but it meant cancer to her.
Try it, you might love it.

Posts: 2438 | Location: Southern CA (Southbay) | Registered: Nov 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
Earlier this spring I ordered a new wig for a friend, from a little catalog that came in her mail. My friend couldn't tell me what color or size her previous ones were and they had no tags. I just called the phone number and they looked up her records. It was shipped overnight. Anyhow, do a search online I'm sure you'll find em. I was amazed the prices weren't exhorbitant either and it did look like real hair. Lots of lengths, the decriptions were extremely detailed, plenty of colors.

Posts: 2639 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Nov 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have oily hair and have to wash & style it everyday

Jackie, I remember when a friend and I were trying to convince her DD that it was the daily shampoos that brought up the oil! It sounds like this is not reasonable but believe me it is true. Why not try shampooing your hair only once or twice a week? And could you not have a hairdo that doesn't really require "styling" I'd be lost if I had to style my hair as I am not talented in that way at all!

This is a funny story about wigs. My DMIL decided she wanted to wear one once. First time she wore it to work she went to the hat rack and whipped off her wig and hung it up! She thought she had a hat on!

Posts: 12190 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
Wigs are not what they used to be. They have gotten much better at making them look real. There are extensions and add-on pieces that look great. I have several I wear only in the winter time because they do make your head hot like you have a hat on, so I usually don't wear them in the summer when it's hot and muggy already.

Go to http://www.wigs.com

This message has been edited. Last edited by: zone9alady,

Whether You Think You Can Or You Think You Can't..... You're Right - Henry Ford

Posts: 7276 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CA Lori
posted Hide Post
LOS, what kind of a "do" doesn't require styling? That's really what I'm looking for but this six weeks of growth is getting to be quite unattractive on me. I have straight, fine, thinning, and stubborn hair. Seems like the only style I can manage that looks halfway decent is a short, layered cut, with the sides going away from my face.

I've been trying to grow a bob, but it's not going well.

I agree about wigs being hot to wear and feeling like a hat. I just thought I could suffer through it until I reach a longer length that I could pull back into a french twist or something. I used to wear that style years ago. But I'm afraid I would need a couple of years growth to achieve that length.

Remember postiches? That was heaven for me. All I had to do was pull my hair back with a rubber band and plop that postiche over my hair. I had an instant hairdo that was comfortable and easy to deal with.

Posts: 5887 | Location: Calif. | Registered: Sep 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Toni Bratton is on SHopNBC now? Oh, wow, she was on Home Shopping before? I know it wasn't ShopNBC.

Anyway, I've always marveled at how pretty her items were. Maybe a few hair extension type things?

Posts: 6052 | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
LOS, what kind of a "do" doesn't require styling?

I have had the same basic hairdo all my life.
Here it is rather longer than usual.

I get my hair cut every 6 or 7 weeks. I wash it and comb it. That is all. Sometimes in the winter I dry it with a hair dryer. I am not a fussy person with my hair. A blunt cut works best for me. My hair white is coarser than when it was black but it is still fine and not abundant!

What is a postiche?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: lady of shallot,

Picture of jackierenette
posted Hide Post
LoS,oh my hair is horrible if not washed every day.I have tried to let it go for a few days & tried special homemade shampoos to help.No help at all.My hair is fine,shoulder length(some layers) & I have bangs.MOst of the time I just dry the bangs and let the rest dry alone.It has waves at times.Sometimes if I don't go anywhere I do just pull it up in ponytails or twists.But if I have to go out,no way am I leaving it that way.My hair looks wet if not washed,yuck.I have checked with my doctor about my hormones.They are perfect,so it must be the stress- worrying in my life.

When I am feeling fancy,I do curl it with hot rollers or curl iron.Those are special dates or funcions.LOL.The double Toni-pony is curly and worn 2 ways.Longer curly layers & stacked curls.It looks fancy and no time to fix my hair.LOL.I have had short styles and still had problems.It works out better for me to have medium styles.
I wish I had my #2Dd hair.It is naturally spiraly curly.She only washes her hair 1 x a week.

Picture of CA Lori
posted Hide Post
LOS, that's the hair style I'm trying to reach!!! But I think you've got more hair than me. I tried rolling my wet hair on brush rollers yesterday and it was way too poufy. By bedtime, it looked presentable enough for me to leave the house. This a.m., I woke up with a pretty nice looking do!

But this is not practical. I can't hang around in the a.m. waiting for hair to dry, let alone waiting for it to loosen up.

A blow dryer, curling iron and short layered "do" is much more practical.

Jackie, I don't know anything about what to do with extensions, etc., but that Tony-pony sounds intriguing. I'm going to google it and see if that might work for me. Maybe I could find a hair dresser who could work with me on achieving some kind of an easy hairdo to see me through the day.

LOS, a postiche (?spelling?) is a handful-sized bunch of hair that has curls and is affixed to the back of the head (below the crown) with, I think, a small comb-piece and maybe some bobby pins. It's been more than 30 yrs. since I've seen them in the stores. Don't even know where I purchased them (a dept. store maybe). Used to have to take it to the beauty shop every once in a while for a clean and style job.

Thanks everyone for your interesting comments. Maybe I can continue with my quest to grow longer hair.

Like LOS said, I, too, am not very talented in the hairdo dept.

I just remembered that I have some hot rollers buried in a bathroom cabinet. Maybe I can achieve something presentable with those. Tomorrow's the next test. I've canceled my haircut appt.! Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CA Lori,

posted Hide Post
When my hair is cut the stylist uses a hair dryer and the brush in all different ways. I do not have the talent or interest to do that.

I would not have a hair cut that requires any attention by me. It used to be a fantasy of mine that I would have an on-hand stylist, you know along with a dresser and a life style and money that would support all that, kind of like being the Queen of England! LOL

posted Hide Post
CA Lori,
I too have very fine hair and for me Ive learned to not let it grow too long for whatever I do, the weight of longer hair just doesn't hold a style. For the past 15 or so years, I've worn a blunt cut similar to Emily's, but just a shorter. It never reaches my shoulders. I always get cuts between 4-5 weeks, and the key for me is to make sure the stylist does a good undercut in the back to make it stack. Very easy to care for and maintain.

Posts: 3055 | Location: Michigan and sw Florida | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CA Lori
posted Hide Post
mamaspoon, a short blunt cut is what I'm trying to achieve. Not sure if it's long enough to get the undercut you mentioned to make the back stack. At present, the neck hair reaches the bottom of my ears.

What tools do you need to use, if any? Dryer/curling or flat irons/hot rollers, manual curling rods?????

posted Hide Post
After washing, I spray a Rusk Product called Thick onto damp hair. Then blow dry. I use a 2" curling iron to finish it off. Takes me less than 2 minutes after blowing dry. I also have stylist taper the sides slightly longer at face. I like to tuck a few strands on each side behind ears, but that's my preference.
CA Lori, based on what you said, you should be there for getting it undercut as when they do it, the closest to the head layer isn't more than a quarter inch, then outer hair is trimmed a little less. A good stylist should know how to do it.

Posts: 3055 | Location: Michigan and sw Florida | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CA Lori
posted Hide Post
Well, I made another appt. for a trim. mamaspoon, I've copied your comments and will see if the hairdresser can do this for me with my present length.

I dragged out my old electric rollers. What a joke, the dang rollers wouldn't stay in because there wasn't enough hair to go between the roller and the clip that attached to it.

Thanks for the much-needed education!

Several years ago, HGTV asked us what we'd like to see on their boards. Maybe I should have suggested a hair and makeup tips category!!

Thank you all; LOS, I especially want to thank you for sharing that lovely photo!!

Next I dragged out my old manual brush rollers. Well, they at least stayed in, but I'm not happy with that result either.

I have years of experience with using a styling mousse and blowing my hair dry and then using my 1.5-inch curling iron (I also have a flat iron that might come in handy); so, with any luck, I might be able to do what you do.

posted Hide Post
With very fine hair, you have to be very careful on what, if any, mousse you use as it tends to put weight in hair and then drags it down. My stylist recommended one for fine hair, but to be honest I didnt want to fuss any further. When you get your hair cut, make sure she knows what undercut really means.

Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
And if you still want to look at wigs...here is a place that doesn't cost an arm/leg! And they are pretty good ones too!

http://www.paulayoung.com/cate...gs&utm_content=exact

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4349 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post