Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Food & Entertaining
  Keeping tortillas warm
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Keeping tortillas warm Sign In/Join 
posted
Any suggestion for keeping tortillas warm for a very large group? We are having a Cinco De Mayo party and plan on serving tacos with both shells and flour tortillas. I have a warmer but we are talking a lot of tortillas to keep warm. Thanks for your help.

Loves TX

Posts: 1259 | Registered: Dec 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
What about a slow cooker? Put a folded damp cloth in the bottom and maybe one lining the sides...
???

Oh, wait...crispy tacos? Forget the damp cloth.

Posts: 16456 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of still tryin
posted Hide Post
I assume you plan on using the flour tortillas for soft tacos so Sherry is right. You can also quickly heat tortillas in a microwave wrapped in a damp towels, (paper or cloth), and nuke for 15 seconds. If you don't have either available wrap them tightly in tin foil and place in an insulated bag. You could keep the shells warm in the oven. Place in a metal pan such as a 9"x13"2" pan and heat on low or 200 degrees. My oven is always 110 degrees even when it is turned off so I know you don't need much heat to keep them warm. If you want you can keep the flour tortillas in there as well but you risk them drying out.

Oops, forgot to add, don't leave the oven on and don't open the oven door until you are ready to serve them or the tortilla shells will crumble.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: still tryin,

Posts: 2641 | Registered: Jan 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the same problem...I was thinking of wrapping about 10 at a time in foil, warm them in the oven before we leave, then put them in the crock pot on warm/low (keeping wrapped in foil, and maybe occasionally shift, ones from bottom to the top), then just open a pack of foil as you need them. Haven't tried it, so just hoping it doesn't "cook" them together.

BTW, there will be no oven available, but electricity is.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: JANinMO,

Posts: 208 | Location: St. Louis | Registered: Jan 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CA Lori
posted Hide Post
I was very interested in the slow-cooker suggestion. Last year, I did a google search and tried one of them, which worked quite well:

Preheat oven to 250. Wrap a stack of corn tortillas in a damp dish towel and place in a casserole dish of similar size. Cover with its lid or a piece of foil tightly on the dish. Place in oven for 20 mins.

Once the tortillas are heated, transfer them to a tortilla wormer to keep them nice and hot, Or on a plate under a warm damp dish towel.

Note: Flour tortillas take a little longer and lower heat--otherwise, it's the same procedure.
(www.gourmet.com, Ruth Coustineru video (spelling might be wrong--can't read my own handwriting!).

Posts: 5879 | Location: Calif. | Registered: Sep 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post