Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Food & Entertaining
  How do you Turkey?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How do you Turkey? Sign In/Join 
Picture of Charming
posted
So the turkey is the star on most of our tables, so what do you do to it before it heads into the oven?

Do you wet brine or dry brine?
Do you rub with butter or oil?
Do you stuff or unstuff?
Low and slow in the oven?
Grill it?
Fry it?
Smoke it?

My turkey has decided to take all week to thaw so I will be doing a dry brine tonight. Then I will rub it with butter and shove a few herbs under the skin. I think I will try high heat then low and slow this year for baking. I don't put dressing in my turkey but I do like to put aromatics in the cavity.

Posts: 3397 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
After watching America's Test Kitchen, I've started cutting my turkey up, brining overnight, heavily salting and peppering the outside, and baking the next day. It was one of the best turkeys I've ever eaten. Using a meat thermometer, I pulled the breasts out when they got done so they were delicious!

That being said - HAM RULES!

I make cornbread dressing on the side.

Posts: 16466 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
I always use a Reynolds bag. I just salt and pepper it before putting it in the bag, then follow the instructions. They always come out perfectly. I do the "filling" by itself.

Posts: 3031 | Location: central PA | Registered: Jan 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
I like and use the cooking bag too. Easy, moist, no basing, and best of all easy cleanup.
Oil and salt the outside of the bird, and put my giblet stuffing in. I do tend to cook a bit longer than they say, as I like the meat falling off the bones.

Posts: 9429 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
I've just roasted them, I've brined them and used the cooking bags. However, there'll only be three of us so the little turkey breast roast will just be seasoned very well and roasted til just done. We aren't even going to have dressing, but when we do it is made from cornbread and is always done separately.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6207 | Location: Northwest Florida | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rub the turkey with butter then salt & pepper it, and in the oven bag it goes.

Posts: 551 | Registered: Jan 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Spanish Revival
posted Hide Post
I've never brined but I did use the oven bags, I just didn't like that the skin doesn't crisp up. I've also used Bobby Flays method where he cooks the turkey, takes it out of the oven when the breast is done and then basically braises the thigh and legs in the juice... didn't like that either, the legs and thigh lost flavor. So, I will continue to roast at 325 for 15 - 20 minutes per pound. I would love to stuff it, but that only makes the breast dried out before the stuffing is done cooking. We like the dark meat too so we wouldn't have just the breast. One of our sons is doing Thanksgiving this year, first time in many years I will not be doing dinner!

Posts: 908 | Location: Florida | Registered: Aug 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Only had to take sides to T-Day on Thursday, so no left-overs!?! Bought a whole breast LAST weekend, cut off bones, vac sealed half and plain freezer bag for other half that I cooked yesterday.

Roasted the HECK outta the bones to get some good brown gunk for gravy... then bones into stock pot.

My Dad was a good cook and we rotated T-Day among his sibs and parents. One year he did a "deconstructed" turkey WAY before that AMMOYING term started popping up on cooking shows. He roasted TWO whole breasts, 4 wings, 2 thighs and 2 drumsticks. It did cost more than a whole BIG bird, but he didn't like picking the carcass... nor did I when that became my CHORE!! Pretty much only things to get tossed were bare bones.

Now I just CANNOT toss bones without coaxing goodness out of them as stock.

Posts: 5575 | Location: mount holly, NJ, USA | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
Yeah - when you eat at someone's house the downside is that there's no leftover. However the good thing is that there's no leftovers! Wink

Posts: 16466 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KG in CA
posted Hide Post
Turkey Day is over but I do them for the next holiday also. I have been smoking our turkey on the BBQ for several years & will do so always now! Wood chips, indirect heat, and the oven is free for baking...

Summers are just this side of hell, but you don't have to shovel sunshine...

Click on the left to show albums
http://s76.photobucket.com/use...brary/?sort=3&page=1

Posts: 7384 | Location: Highland, CA Zone 9b  | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
"Grill it in the oven very slowly"..... What does that mean?

Posts: 3031 | Location: central PA | Registered: Jan 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post