Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Food & Entertaining
  recipe to make buttermilk?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

recipe to make buttermilk? Sign In/Join 
Picture of jackierenette
posted
I have lost my recipe to make homemade butter milk for recipes.I know it was vinegar & milk but I have forget the amounts.I'm just wanting to add buttermilk to a cake or cornbread.

I was talking to my DF yesterday telling him I wasnt buying it in the store anymore.It waste before I use it all up.This way I can just make what I will use when I need it.

Thank you so very much.Jackie

Posts: 2994 | Location: Liberty, S.C. | Registered: Mar 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CJO
posted Hide Post
Put 1 tablespoon white vinegar in a bowl

add just under a cup of regular milk

stir and let sit 1 minute and then use the amount you need.

Smile

Posts: 2795 | Registered: Oct 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jackierenette
posted Hide Post
CJO,THANK YOU so very much.
I knew it was something like 1-2 Tbsp.& 1 cup milk.I needed back-up proof.Wasnt positive of my brain at this moment.LOL.

Posts: 2994 | Location: Liberty, S.C. | Registered: Mar 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nettiejay
posted Hide Post
Just a heads up...
I noticed a few weeks ago that my store is now carrying half pints of buttermilk for just 39¢ each. I don't think there's one other packaged item in the store priced so cheap! I bought one to make scones with this morning; it was exactly the right amount.
It might be worth asking your store manager if your store could start stocking it.

Posts: 4361 | Location: zone 6b, Missouri | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CA Lori
posted Hide Post
I've always put 1 Tb. in a measuring cup and then added the milk up to the 1 c. measuring line.

Posts: 5887 | Location: Calif. | Registered: Sep 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
You can also get powdered buttermilk. As I recall, the unused powder needs to be kept refrigerated. I've only bought one container, as I don't us a lot of buttermilk and just do the vinegar and milk thing most of the time.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6234 | Location: Northwest Florida | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
how will home made buttermilk work for soaking chicken in so I can put crushed corn flakes on it an bake it? or should I just buy it already make for it?

x

Posts: 1229 | Location: WNY | Registered: Nov 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
Sierra, since you normally soak the chicken in the buttermilk to help tenderize it, I don't know how well that would work with the "made" buttermilk. Got nothing to lose by trying it, though.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6234 | Location: Northwest Florida | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jackierenette
posted Hide Post
I am sorry not coming back so soon.
My DM has been in the hospital in very bad shape.I had posted this thread while staying with her in the hospital on Fri.morning.She came home last yesterday evening.Alot of helping a sis take care of her.
I will be popping back in as soon as I can.

Thank you all for commenting.I'm about to reread it so I can make since of it.My Mind is kinda crazy at the moment.LOL

I do think the mixture will still work for soaking chicken & other meats in it.Then baking the meat.Should work fine.

Fl.farmgirl,I keep forgetting about the powdered buttermilk.My DF says it's gotten too high for him to buy it.I'll have to check on it myself.LOL.He just bought a whole gallon yesterday.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jackierenette,

Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
It's the acid of lemon juice & vinegar that tenderizes any meat in a marinade, so it's no different with buttermilk whether is 'real' stuff or milk with vinegar in it - the acid is what breaks down connective tissue to tenderize meat.
Buttermilk is acid, milk is alkaline.

This is why baking soda is used with buttermilk, sour cream, etc. and baking powder with 'sweet' milk such as in different cake or biscuit recipes.

Posts: 2642 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Nov 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
I always bought the powdered buttermilk for the camper while traveling. Those dinky little refrigerators hold only so much.

Posts: 16571 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I heard somewhere that you could use lemon juice in place of the vinegar.

Posts: 616 | Location: Indianapolis | Registered: Nov 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nc girl
posted Hide Post
Works great for soaking chicken. I never buy buttermilk anymore-with just 2 of us. hard to use it all. I always make my own. Just taught my 51 year old twin sister to make buttermilk!

Posts: 173 | Location: nc mtns. | Registered: Nov 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nance425
posted Hide Post
I use the buttermilk for my IHOP (clone) pancakes recipe. Freeze the rest in 1 or 1.5 cup containers. When you need it, thaw overnight and if you forget, defrost slowly in the microwave minutes before you need it. Smile

Posts: 4582 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: Dec 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of still tryin
posted Hide Post
You can make your own buttermilk using buttermilk. The buttermilk has the culture in it to make more buttermilk. Just use 1 part cultured. buttermilk to 3 parts whole milk, or skim milk if you prefer. Use buttermilk that has warmed to 70 degrees and milk that is between 70 to 80 degrees.

Add the buttermilk to the milk,

Stir well and cover tightly.

Let the mixture stand in a 70 degree room until clabbered.

Stir and refrigerate.

It doesn't matter how much or how little you want to make as long as you use 1 part buttermilk to 3 parts milk. Make a cup or gallon, it's all the same. As long the buttermilk clabbers within 24 hours your buttermilk is still usable as a culture for the next batch. It's no different than making yoghurt at home using left over yoghurt as a culture for a new batch of yoghurt.

Posts: 2644 | Registered: Jan 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of still tryin
posted Hide Post
If you only use buttermilk for baking then freeze it before it goes bad. Some cooks like to make buttermilk ice cubes for baking. If you know how much you generally need for your recipes then freeze that amount in individual portions. Freeze the buttermilk in smaller portions than the container it came in for convenience. Take out only what you need at a given time and thaw it in refrigerator.

The buttermilk will separate when thawed if it has been frozen. Don't worry about that because you just need to mix the buttermilk to to get the solids back into the liquid. Use a whisk, hand mixer or whatever tool you have on hand to mix it well. Frozen buttermilk will keep for 3 months in the freezer.

Posts: 2644 | Registered: Jan 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post