Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Food & Entertaining
  What dishwashing detergent do you prefer?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What dishwashing detergent do you prefer? Sign In/Join 
Picture of Lurah
posted
I'd always been an Electosol gal myself, eventually shifting to the Finish tablets with the red ball in them after I first used those in France. I had to wait a couple of years before they were available here.

My old appliance dealer always suggested a dry powder or tablet, not prewashing the dishes at the sink before loading the machine.

A few weeks ago decided I'd get myself a new dishwasher. I go through them about every 5 - 6 years maybe even 4. I don't like soft water and hard water is their worst enemy.

My trusty appliance dealer advised me on a new dishwashing liquid out of Canada. He said he'd never been a fan of liquid or gel detergents either. I think it would have solved the problems with the current dishwasher, but I still got a new one and had it installed.

With one washing in the old machine and once in the new unit both using that new dishwashing detergent I COULD NOT BELIEVE how cleaned up my old everyday glassware looks now.

It's called Excelsior HE.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Nov 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
That's interesting Lurah. I looked it up and it does sound interesting although it was extremely expensive per bottle.

My appliance store also said to use cascade powder and lemishine. The change in DW soaps have made a big change in dishwasher performance IMO. The cascade powder and lemishine does a good job.

I would, however, be interested in the Excelsior per your recommendation.

Martha

Posts: 6212 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
I never liked cascade...it always left "grit" on top of glasses, bowls, etc. Regardless of dishwasher used (3over the years). I preferred Finish. Until this water and dishwasher...now I use a Cascade tablet with the blue and green swirls - cleaner and rinse agent I think. And I still have to use pots n pans cycle every time. I scrape solids off dishes but do not prerinse.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: KeepYouInStitches,

Posts: 17255 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use the Finish tablets. My glasses were getting hazy and etched with any other detergent.

Posts: 676 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
The Excelsior is an expensive purchase, but the suggested amount of use per load is small. I started with a new bottle about April 1, so I'll see how long it lasts. The Finish tablets were getting expensive anyhow and so few in a package it really irritated me.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Nov 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of joyluck
posted Hide Post
I use 2 brands, one is a loose powder store brand from a Cdn. chain grocery store which I buy when it's on sale. The other is those little 'sachets' and is Costco's Kirkland brand and likely made by Cascade. I like to buy it when they have a discount coupon. Both are lower priced than Cascade or other major brands. I switch them around using whichever one I 'whim' at the time.

I quickly rinse dishes, run them thru a short wash and rinse with DW detergent, then run them thru another quick wash and rinse with a splash of vinegar to thoroughly remove the detergent. My water is softened and I almost never have a reject dish with this method.

I started doing this when I read that the residue of DW detergent is very unhealthy and using vinegar removes it completely. I had previously noticed when I bought a scented detergent that the dishes still had a scent after rinsing so I knew there was detergent residue on them.

Lucky

"I have always had an aversion to the concepts of in style and out of style." ~Rose Tarlow

Inspirational pics: http://inspiration4u.shutterfly.com/

Posts: 12750 | Location: north of 50 in Canada zone3b | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Where do you buy Excelsior? I did some research and tho there are sources on line such as Amazon and the co. site and appliance retailers, is there a chain or two...even a box store that sells it? BTW, I noticed they make a laundry detergent that eliminates the need for softeners, stain additives, bleach, dryer sheets. The fact you use less of their detergent per load contributes to the savings too.

Posts: 18729 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
We swear by Finish Powerball for our Bosch dishwasher -- it is rated #2 best dishwasher detergent by Consumer Reports.

It gets everything sparkling clean because the pod includes the Jet Dry finishing agent; there is no film or gunk left, the way Cascade did.

Posts: 5331 | Registered: Jul 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
I purchased the Excelsior at my local appliance store, not a chain, sorry. He also told me about the laundry detergent and as you say this brand eliminates the need for everything else you have listed to use in your wash/dry process.

The DW detergent was $30. a bottle, probably 48 to 60 ounces and it only takes about 1 1/2 tablespoon per load. They also sold me the rinse aid liquid.

I also was a fan of the Finish Powerball that I used in France long before it was available here. We had a small dishwasher there so went through my first purchase fast. I had a nearly full box I brought home and went to retailers with the box trying to see if it was on their wholesale offering lists to no avail for a few more years.

posted Hide Post
I use cascade but my dishwasher is 16 years old so don't know how it works in newer machines. I don't pre-rinse and the dishes are clean.

Posts: 2291 | Location: Arkansas Zone 7 | Registered: Aug 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cascade Liquid

Posts: 745 | Location: Canada | Registered: Jan 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
Store brand or what is on sale, liquid or powder in my 30 year old Maytag.

Posts: 12933 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Seaborne
posted Hide Post
Cascade powder - in my Kenmore - a few years old - no problems - but I don't put my "best" dishes in the dishwasher - or my gold-rimmed crystal. Otherwise, my Pfaltzgraff spring-patterned dishes that I used on Easter came out streak-free and sparkling just yesterday.

Seaborne

Posts: 1203 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: Nov 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
I use a generic store brand. I have always done so and never see any ill effects.

Posts: 3228 | Location: central PA | Registered: Jan 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
I use Costco brand regular old loose powder dish washing detergent. I like it and it is reasonably priced.

Posts: 7247 | Registered: Apr 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Becky56
posted Hide Post
My DW is four or five years old. I am so happy with it. I scrape the dishes good and put them in. No rinsing before. When I first got it, I had been w/o a DW for a long time. The old one came with the house and was a cheap one. It didnt clean good, you had to pretty much wash the dishes before putting them in it, and it left soap residue on top of them.

So when I got this one I started using the the cascade or electrasol pods. Those are pretty pricey so one day I tried a box of the old type cascade powder. A box cost less that half the price of a package of the pods, and lasts two to three times as long. The powder cleans just as good, leaves no residue, no etching on the glasses. I never use a rinse agent, I forget about it. But not everyone carries the powder. People seem to be all about the pods. I was in Publix and the only powder they had was their store brand. Big mistake. It does not work well. So no store brand powders for me.

Posts: 3272 | Location: Bama G.R.I.T.S. | Registered: Jun 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trish212
posted Hide Post
Two things make a difference: A newer disposal and using it before running the dishwasher. Softer water makes a difference. My MIL uses a generic brand and it works quite well. Our's is a mix. Since we're not to advertise here, won't be mentioning our brand. Wink

Posts: 5231 | Registered: Jan 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post