Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Food & Entertaining
  Do You Change Clothes
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do You Change Clothes Sign In/Join 
Picture of Waverider ;)
posted
When you get home from wherever?
Do you unhook/remove certain garments when you get home? I discovered a few of my co-workers take off their br@z when they get home from work. My thin, tiny DD removes her br@ when getting into comfy clothes after work or school. She's so small.... I wear mine all day until I go to bed at night. I find it perfectly comfortable and I look better with it on.... Many of these co-workers have sons at home, yuck!!!! LOL

Posts: 2558 | Location: "The Garden State", NJ ~ Zone 7 | Registered: Nov 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
Their sons are used to it. They see their mother and nothing else.

Back in my younger much thinner days I too took my bra off (if I even had one on). But you have to understand that I was pretty close to flat chested back then and only went braless with tops that I made from slightly heavier than normal fabric. (Had a SIL with "jugs" back then and she wore those thin cheap halter tops - uh-uh not me!)

Now I take off the office clothes and put on comfortable clothes...the bra stays on until shower and bed time.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: KeepYouInStitches,

Posts: 17431 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Waverider ;)
posted Hide Post
I remember the Halter Days too! I remember going bra-less as well. But I was a very young teen then, A cup, so it was cute. I think it's ugly and gross if you are over 45, over 40 lbs overweight and are more than an A Cup and have sons over 10 y.o. I think it's gross to think about my co-worker with her dangling participles and her 20 y.o. son walking around. Tie them up or cover them up..... I think it's gross if the UPS guy rings your bell and you look like that!!!

Posts: 2558 | Location: "The Garden State", NJ ~ Zone 7 | Registered: Nov 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
You know you're guilty of this. Come on, 'fess up.

Posts: 5373 | Registered: Jul 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of still tryin
posted Hide Post
I take off my coat or jacket when I return from the grocery stores. They never turn off their air conditioners. I could easily go bra-less after a trip there because everything shrivels from the cold. There isn't a bra in the world that's going to hide the pointers on the end of the headlights.

Posts: 2656 | Registered: Jan 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
Some clothes don't look good on people no matter what size they are. I was in college during the days of halter wearing and really see no problem with young girls of any size wearing them. I do get a little tired of the comments that are quite acceptable about over weight people. Sorry, I live at the beach and I really don't want to see anyone's arse - boney or flabby in my face in a too small bikini. Thank goodness thongs are not allowed on our beaches (no matter what some crap television shows want you to think.)

I leave my bra on until I change into nightgown and then I wear a sleep bra - just more comfortable to keep the girls under control at night. Wink

As for the coworker who takes it off at home - I don't really think she is running around topless, so who cares.

Reading this topic I'm reminded once again how we are our own worse enemies. Kind of hard to get ahead in this world as it is without having to worry about the cattiness of our sisters.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Charming,

Fun and Info

Posts: 3613 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Seaborne
posted Hide Post
Good comments, Charming.

I, too, change my clothes - I have at-home comfortable underclothes that I wear - and it is not offensivew to anyone's sensibilities - no matter who comes to the door.

Another topic would be - the unrealistic notion of women's beauty on the part of men (young or older) - and the realities of life - real people. Anyone who's been in a long-term relationship knows by now that the success of the relationship is not predicated on youthful body image - male or female.

Seaborne

Posts: 1229 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: Nov 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
First things I take off when arriving at home---watch and earrings. Shoes last thing before bed.

I do like to put on more comfortable clothes at home. Unmentionables only when putting on nightgown.

Strings

Friends divide our sorrows and multiply our joys.

Posts: 6398 | Registered: Sep 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
Of course I get comfortable when I come home! I change into yoga pants and a sweat shirt, and I often go bra-less, shoe-less, and make up-less, and I throw my hair up in a ponytail. My grown sons could care less.

Posts: 7284 | Registered: Apr 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kathy_in_wlsv
posted Hide Post
You know it's a REAL "speshul" occasion if I'm wearing a bra!! They hurt, are hard to put on and take off, if it's loose enough to be comfy its kind of beside the point!

My arthritis and fibro make dressing for absolute comfort essential. That meant jammie bottoms or sweat pants most of the time at home, slip on Easy Spirit tennis clogs and no socks unless it's well below freezing. Putting on socks for me alone takes at least 5 painful minutes so I just don't.

My grown son and my sweet GS who lives with us are perfectly used to seeing me. It's not like I'm running around nude. Heck I don't even wear a bathing suit more than a couple times a year. I'm well covered,.

Life is GOOD!!

Posts: 1583 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: Nov 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
Before retiring I always changed my clothes after work. I put on comfortable clothes but ones that are still presentable because I go to a lot of meetings and events in the evenings.

I do not own any sweats. I find that once you have them on you tend to start leaving the house in them. I do not want to be seen like that. No sneakers either unless I am doing something athletic.

My bra comes off on hot summer days...only when I am home for the night. It is only DH and me here now.

Posts: 3276 | Location: central PA | Registered: Jan 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
Before I retired, I always changed clothes after work...they were dirty since I worked retail & did physical labor nearly every day.
I used to leave my bra on until bed time...not now!
Most days I wear a genie bra unless I'm leaving our place...then I put on a good one.
But the last couple of years, no matter the brand or the cut of the bra, they irritate my skin & break me out. It's not my laundry detergent or softener, it's something they have changed in either the elastic or the fabrics.

As for sons seeing their mothers...it's just Mom, it's not sexy or sexual.
And what about other cultures like the Japanese?...they take family baths together, all sexes...nothing going on there and no surprises when they get older either.

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 5146 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
I think the inventor of bras should have been tarred and feathered. I don't wear one most of the time at home. Its just DH and me. I do put one on if I'm going out somewhere. And, since I don't work, I'm a jeans and t-shirt girl most of the time.

When I did work, I mostly changed into more comfortable and more casual clothes when I got home. But those heels were the very first thing to go when I walked in the door.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6853 | Location: north Georgia mountains  | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CA Lori
posted Hide Post
I could have written the same words as FFG. And the second thing that I removed after work was my contact lenses.

In the winter, it's tennies. In the summer, it's sandals: Clark's, Tevas, or Birkenstocks. I don't own any more heels. The heels on my dress shoes are about 1.5 inches. After going through a bout of Plantar Fasciitis, I'm all for buying shoes with good support and I try to get them when they go on sale.

I used to laugh at my SIL who would put on her false eyelashes the first thing in the morning. With me, I've gotta put on eyebrow pencil and mascara--I look terrible without them!

Posts: 6106 | Location: Calif. | Registered: Sep 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
When I worked, I would change my work clothes for jeans and shirts. Now my "work" clothes ARE jeans and shirts! I get dressed for the morning and stay dressed until I go to bed!

Martha

Posts: 6385 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of joyluck
posted Hide Post
I do change clothes most of the time when I come home as have 'home clothes' (yoga pants or shorts and sweater or T depending on the season) which can/will get covered in cat hair and 'dress' clothes which don't. So to keep my dress clothes nice I change immediately on arrival home. As far as undies, when I retired I quit wearing a watch, pantie hose, and bra for several years. I now wear the latter only when I go out.

quote:
Originally posted by Seaborne:
Another topic would be - the unrealistic notion of women's beauty on the part of men (young or older) - and the realities of life - real people. Anyone who's been in a long-term relationship knows by now that the success of the relationship is not predicated on youthful body image - male or female.

Agree. We need to get away from both the Victorian view of public propriety as well as the 'Hollywood' view of beauty. Very opposite POV but neither realistic IMO.

quote:
Originally posted by Florida Farm Girl:
I think the inventor of bras should have been tarred and feathered.

I agree! Big Grin

Even when I was 50 pounds heavier I often went without a br@ at home. Nothing sags much even tho I am now north of 70. When I go out I wear one because my dress clothes look and fit better. Also some dressy tops are thin or a bit sheer so it would not be comfortable for me to go out in public without one.

There are lots of comfortable br@s but many women don't wear the correct size so I can understand many wanting to be more comfortable.

Lucky

"I have always had an aversion to the concepts of in style and out of style." ~Rose Tarlow

Inspirational pics: http://inspiration4u.shutterfly.com/

Posts: 12761 | Location: north of 50 in Canada zone3b | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Seaborne
posted Hide Post
Totally agree, joy luck.

I am past 70 too - and I'm not ashamed of my buxom shape at all.

Comfortable bras can be found. Well-fitting bras take time to find - but a good lingerie department will provide a salesperson who is trained in finding the correct size and fit. I recommend Nordstrom's for that. But - they don't come "cheap." And that's why I keep my good bras for dress wear - and have more comfey ones for at-home wear.

Seaborne

Posts: 1229 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: Nov 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't like bras either, but found some fairly inexpensive - $20 - Bali bras that fit good.

Posts: 17431 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
OH Wavie!

Sometimes it's unhooked on the drive home if there are no other stops. LOL!

~Like sands through the hourglass
~So are the days of our lives

Posts: 9517 | Registered: Oct 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Arkansas #1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beau's Rose:
OH Wavie!

Sometimes it's unhooked on the drive home if there are no other stops. LOL!

I,ve had a masectomy on the right side and I don't care how lopsided I look it is unhooked as soon as I'm in the car.In the winter i just don't wear one.I am very small and a light jacket covers me well.My grown sons see mom and that's it.

Use it up,wear it out,make do or do without.Mama said!!!

Posts: 1651 | Location: SW AR | Registered: Jan 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pinecone476
posted Hide Post
I wear mine all day so my knees don't get black and blue. Wink

piney

Posts: 3245 | Location: New England, U.S.A. | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
quote:
I wear mine all day so my knees don't get black and blue.

This gave me a laugh before bedtime last night! My thing is getting dressed in the first place. I go down in my robe/slippers/nightie, eat bkfst, read the paper, then start working. I like to work before I get dressed. . . don't know why that is . . . even when I bathe or shower I like to take a while before I dress but then stay that way till bedtime.

Posts: 13131 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Spanish Revival
posted Hide Post
Soon as I get home I take off the bra, then comes the jewelry, then I get into leggings and a comfy shirt and slippers. If my boys come over I put a bra on, if my girls come over, I don't. I would never, ever go out into public without a bra! There were times I actually had to turn round b/c I realized I didn't have one on!

Posts: 1025 | Location: Florida | Registered: Aug 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Went shopping today, well-dressed with jewellery, hair done etc. I came home and took off almost everything and put on old pants, cotton top and fleece jacket - no bra, no jewellery etc. I too have fibro and have had bouts with neuralgia from shingles...can't stand shoes or bras when at home...unless we're having people in or as summer comes along, I take the dog out for little walks and I do wear all my clothes for that. Part of it comes from working and coming home to 3 dogs who like to climb all over me, plus I'm a sloppy cook so I just don't like wearing good clothes around the house.

Posts: 746 | Location: Canada | Registered: Jan 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh my, what an interesting thread on what you ladies do with the "girls". Since I'm full figured I feel more comfortable with my bra on. When I worked, I did change clothes when I got home for many of the reasons you all have said.

Posts: 3169 | Location: Michigan and sw Florida | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Georgia Peach
posted Hide Post
Nowadays, only to church, business meetings, etc. do I wear a REAL bra. Usually it's a sports bra which is comfortable so, no, I don't remove them when I get home. I'm fortunate to have a job now where I don't have to wear business clothing everyday. When I worked in the medical field I did shower/change as soon as I got home!

Posts: 2316 | Location: Coastal Plain Region ~~ Georgia ~~ Zone 8b | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
My shoes are the first thing I shed after being out all day. Only lately have I released the D cup girls when I switch over to more comfy stay-at-home duds. No one but my DH sees them in their gravity ridden stance and he's not complaining. It should be mentioned that I do NOT answer the door in this manner. Smile BTW, I also pack a sleep bra whenever I am spending the night away as it would be too embarrassing should I need to be rescued or flee in an emergency.

Posts: 18796 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Waverider ;)
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Froo Froo:
Only lately have I released the D cup girls when I switch over to more comfy stay-at-home duds. No one but my DH sees them in their gravity ridden stance and he's not complaining.

ROTFLMDAO!!! That is the reason I always wear one and I must get out of these PJ's right now come to think of it (he was still sleeping!)
I never heard of "sleep bras" before. I should look for it, for when I wake up and am still in my PJ's. Sometimes I will put a bra on underneath my PJ top. I look better with one on!! Wink (& they are comfortable to me)

Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
I'm more comfortable with something on, that is why I use a sleep bra. I think for around the house I'm trying to find some sports bras that are half way comfortable.

Fun and Info

Posts: 3613 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh my! I don't see...strike that...I don't understand Smile how you well-endowed ladies go braless! When I was nursing my DS I not only slept with a bra on, I showered with one on! Got me and the bra clean at the same time. When I removed the bra, I kept one arm under my breasts as I dried off and slipped the next bra on. Those honeys just about killed my back!

Picture of peppermintpattitotherescue
posted Hide Post
Hello All,
When I worked, I never knew if I would be whisked to dinner or a mgmt. meeting by DH, so I didn't change my clothes until I knew the schedule. I liked my undergarments, so I did not remove them, but DH did on occasion. Now, however, I don't work haven't for over 10 years and rarely go out so I don't wear a bra, just a tank top under my shirts. If we go out socially for our anniversary/birthdays/weddings, etch I will put on a bra.

Save Planet Earth, it is the only Planet with chocolate!!

Posts: 1001 | Location: Camarillo, California | Registered: Mar 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of peppermintpattitotherescue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KeepYouInStitches:
Oh my! I don't see...strike that...I don't understand Smile how you well-endowed ladies go braless! When I was nursing my DS I not only slept with a bra on, I showered with one on! Got me and the bra clean at the same time. When I removed the bra, I kept one arm under my breasts as I dried off and slipped the next bra on. Those honeys just about killed my back!

I was never that big, even now they aren't that big a bit saggy yes, but not big.

Save Planet Earth, it is the only Planet with chocolate!!

Posts: 1001 | Location: Camarillo, California | Registered: Mar 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Seaborne
posted Hide Post
I will wear a tight-fitting tank top under another t-shirt or blouse when at home - and in the winter, the several layers cover everything up.

Seaborne

Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
Peppermintpattie -- removed on occasion, huh???? Smile

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6853 | Location: north Georgia mountains  | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
LOL Froofroo mentioned the size D girls. Wink

When I was skinny AND young you never knew if I had on a bra or not as long as the top was not tight fitting or thin fabric. Pregnancy gave me curves EVERYWHERE! Wink Then nursing - OH MY - as I mentioned those milk filled 'containers' were heavy!!

Picture of CJO
posted Hide Post
shoes off at the door...

coat hung in closet...

blouse off...

bra off..

panty hose off and into the bathroom sink for a quick wash!

this was all back in the days before I retired Big Grin

Posts: 2931 | Registered: Oct 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quiltzilla
posted Hide Post
Shoes off asap!
Next -
off with jewelry & contact lenses!
Then into comfy clothes for the evening, which does NOT include a brassiere!

Posts: 6683 | Registered: Aug 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Am retired but routine is mostly the same. When I come home from church/shopping/visiting first off is my earrings and other jewelry, shoes and panty hose/knee highs. Then change into jeans and knit top. The last thing I would ever remove is my br#. Not comfortable without it.....feels terrible.

love life

Posts: 1571 | Location: omaha, ne U.S.A. | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post