Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Food & Entertaining
  Need recipes using up egg yolks...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need recipes using up egg yolks... Sign In/Join 
Picture of nance425
posted
Just used 12 egg whites to make Angel Food Cake.
What do I do with the yolks? (I don't make anything with raw eggs.)

I did find:

GINGER CUP CAKES

2 egg yolks
1/2 cup molasses
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup yogurt or sour cream
1 cup unbleached flour (whole wheat or white)
1/4 cup rye flour
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 to 1 tsp. ground ginger
1 1/4 tsp. baking soda

350°F.
Beat egg yolks, molasses, sugar and butter together until light.
Whisk or sift together dry ingredients until well mixed.
Add yogurt or sour cream, then the dry ingredients. Beat for 1 minute.
Bake in buttered or paper-lined muffin cups for about 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean.
Remove from oven and brush tops with butter; sprinkle lightly with coarse turbinado sugar, if desired.

Posts: 4582 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: Dec 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
My mother always made sponge the day after the angel food using up the egg yolks -- recipe follows

MOTHER'S SPONGE
(The Gold)

12 egg yolks
2 c. sugar
1 c. boiling water
1/2 t. salt
4 t. baking powder
1 t. lemon flavoring
grated rind of 1 orange
1 t. orange juice
3 c. cake flour

Beat egg yolks until light with mixer (about 5 minutes) Add sugar gradually, then hot water, beating well. Add flour, sifted with baking powder and salt and beat thoroughly. Add flavoring, grated orange rind and orange juice. Pour into an angel food cake pan and smooth top. Bake at 350 for about 1 hour

Martha

Posts: 5404 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Plus there is lemon curd -- I often make it with my Meyers but you can (and I have) made it with store lemons. It keeps a while in the fridge -- a spoonful is good on berries, it makes a great cake filling, is good as a pie or on biscuits, scones or toast!

Martha

LEMON CURD

3 lemons
1 1/2 c. sugar
1/4 pound unsalted butter, room temperature
4 eggs
1/2 c. lemon juice (3 to 4 lemons)
1/8 t. salt

Using a potato peeler, remove the zest from 3 lemons, being careful to avoid the white pith. Put the zest in a food processor fitted with the steel blade. Add the sugar and pulse until the zest is very finely minced into the sugar.

Cream the butter and beat in the sugar and lemon mixture. Add the eggs, 1 at a time, and then add the lemon juice and salt. Mix until combined.

Pour the mixture into a 2 quart saucepan and cook over low heat until thickened (about 10 minutes), stirring constantly. The lemon curd will thicken at 170 degrees. Remove from the heat and cool or refrigerate.

Posts: 5404 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CA Lori
posted Hide Post
I did a google search for egg yolk recipes and thought this sounded good. Looks kind of similar to Martha's. Just curious, since I've never made an angel cake from scratch, I'm wondering if it's that much better than a boxed mix??

MARIAN'S DAFFODIL CAKE (CHIFFON)
12 egg yolks (left over from angel food cake)
1 1/2 c. sugar
1/2 c. boiling water
1 1/2 c. sifted cake flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. lemon flavor

Beat egg yolks until very thick and lemon colored. Add sugar in small amounts and keep beating. Add boiling water and beat 30 seconds, add sifted dry ingredients gradually, then add flavorings, beat all well (about 5 minutes).
Bake in a preheated 350°F oven for 1 hour in an ungreased 10" or 12" angel food pan. Cool upside down before removing. This is a great party cake, as you can serve it plain or with whipped cream, berries, or whatever.

Posts: 5883 | Location: Calif. | Registered: Sep 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Oh, Lori it IS that much better! We're just used to the mix so accept that as the standard for angel foods -- no way, the real deal is "way better"!!!

Martha

Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
I was also going to suggest the custard desserts as have others or Tiramisu.
In fact I recently had the reverse issue - made Tiramisu and had lots of egg whites in the freezer so I made a fresh homemade Angel Food.

Homemade cakes from scratch are so much better than mix. But there are those occasions when a mix is needed for concocting other desserts.
But never a box angel food! Even make it from scratch when I make a dessert with cubed angel food cake.

We like Bearnaise sauce for vegetables and steaks, I have a blender version that's quick and cooked by the boiling butter.

Posts: 2639 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Nov 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CA Lori
posted Hide Post
Interesting, Martha! Maybe I should try it and see if DH would eat it. He doesn't like the angel food cakes I make with a box mix. Like you said, I only used boxed cake mixes when it's called for in recipes, otherwise I make them from scratch. They're so easy. For some reason, I shy away from a recipe that uses 12 eggs. That would wipe out my egg tray!

Now I'm gonna do a google search for an angel food cake recipe.

Posts: 5883 | Location: Calif. | Registered: Sep 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nance425
posted Hide Post
CA Lori - only reason i made it was:
1. eggs are 99 cents
2. had some strawberries & extra cool whip.

Made a trifle.

Posts: 4582 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: Dec 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
CA Lori - I had to laugh at your mention of wiping out the egg tray with a recipe that calls for a dozen eggs.

Eggs used to be one of my vocations and I got paid to enjoy sharing about them. So I generally buy eggs 3 dozen at a time and still have to borrow them from the neighbor gal.

I always repay her by taking back a full carton of eggs and another recipe. She has an in-home day care and eggs are quick and easy for lunch. I've kept her supplied with recipes like egg pizza, egg burgers, taco fritatta, huevos rancheros, and anything else you can imagine.

At today's meat prices, eggs are still the best protein bargain at the grocery store.

Posts: 2639 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Nov 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, hate to be obvious BUT with 12 yolks? I would whip the yolks and add a little sugar/milk to the mixture then scramble in a heated oiled skillet just before the bisquits were ready, slice some tomatoes and avocados and serve on the side along with sour cream, butter, chives and some nutmeg and/or cinnamon.

Finish off the eggs, put on a platter for 2-4 people and let them create their own "breakfast" omelet even if it is late in the evening...

Add some orange juice ~ never can go wrong with orange juice! Cool

Posts: 6487 | Registered: Jan 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post