Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Food & Entertaining
  Condensation on crockpot lid
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Condensation on crockpot lid Sign In/Join 
Picture of CA Lori
posted
Just saw this tip on an online recipe for crockpot spaghetti sauce.

To avoid having the condensation watering down the sauce while it's cooking in the c/p, it says to take two thin dish towels, fold them in half to get four layers, and lay it over the c/p and then place the c/p lid over the towels.

This was news to me! Is there really that much moisture to worry about? Does anyone here do this?

I'm not sure I will make this sauce because I'm quite satisfied with my recipe, which I make on the stovetop. Besides the usual ingredients, it calls for soaking and chopping drained porcini mushrooms, 8 oz ground pork or chicken, 1 lb ground beef, and 2 oz chunk of pancetta, diced. Never heard of using pancetta. Again, does anyone here ever put pancetta in their sauce? I wouldn't even begin to know where to find it (?meat or deli counter in grocery store?).

Posts: 6025 | Location: Calif. | Registered: Sep 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
I now make my basic sauce in the slow cooker making enough to use now and to freeze for later. My recipe calls for tomatoes, a can of water, and tomato paste. I do not use but about half the water. If it gets too thick, I add water. If it's too thin, I turn the cooker on high and tilt the lid.

Pancetta is in my grocer's deli section. LOL It can't do anything but add more good flavor!

Posts: 17182 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pancetta is Italian bacon- adds a lot of flavor.

Posts: 120 | Registered: Apr 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of junk collector
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pkpk23:
Pancetta is Italian bacon- adds a lot of flavor.

and the flavor will come from rendering the pancetta and using the oil for sauteing veggies, mushrooms, etc. A little goes a long way. Like KYIS states, in the deli case.

Posts: 3341 | Registered: Aug 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What is the problem with condensation on the CP lid? We don't worry about it with pots on the stove, do we?

Posts: 3460 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
I don't worry about the condensation either.

Posts: 7203 | Registered: Apr 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post