Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Food & Entertaining
  Husbands are Amazing, Con't.....
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Husbands are Amazing, Con't..... Sign In/Join 
Picture of Waverider ;)
posted
This topic has to be continued! Every single time I think of this, I am amazed. You cannot make this stuff up....
About 2 1/2-3 yrs. ago, my DH's family was visiting (sister & mother). Don't remember if it was Thankgiving or just a visit. Anyway, out of the blue, I heard my DH say "I make coffee like water" (meaning me!). I was totally DUMBFOUNDED!!! You mean to tell me that for over 20 LONG YRS. YOU HATED MY COFFEE and didn't have the brains/nerve to tell me? Am I that mean, don't think so! I was shocked and horrified & embarrassed. But I didn't even know it! I like weaker coffee and loved it that way. If my DH made coffee I hated, I'd tell him immediately or maybe wait till the end of the week to see if that is the way he always makes it, before I tell him I HATE IT!
Can you imagine a woman (in your wildest dreams) drinking coffee she hated for weeks, let alone nearly 2 decades???? My Jaw is still flung open....... permanently!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Waverider ;),

Posts: 2545 | Location: "The Garden State", NJ ~ Zone 7 | Registered: Nov 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I couldn't find the original topic???

Anyway, I'll never forget that shortly after my father's mother died, he said something to my mother like, "Now, you won't have to compete with my mother when you cook." My mother was flabbergasted because she has always hated cooking, she never made much beyond basic meat and potatoes and she certainly never felt competitive with her mother-in-law in that area. So, I guess you just never know what thoughts are hidden in those male heads...LOL!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Graciepj,

Posts: 2043 | Registered: Aug 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
I didn't read the first thread, so I am not sure if what I am posting fits, but the title of this thread is.."Husbands are Amazing"....

My husband told me not too long ago that he was absolutely, completely, 100% sure that he wanted to marry me after our first date. I hardly remember our first date. We went to a sporting event, and then he dropped me off at home. Not memorable at all. But he insists that it was all it took for him. That was a surprising revelation!

Posts: 7275 | Registered: Apr 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
Well these are three different reminiscences. Rather two that are alike and Cocok's which is radically different.

I see the first two as the husband wanting to cut the wife off at the knees. You notice that the "undermining" is pitting the wife against her in-laws.

That is in the eyes of the husband, not maybe in the eyes of the wife. Waverider's husband was making her a bully to his family. Gracie's father was entering his wife into a competition with his mother that the wife never wanted to enter.

Cocok you story is just romantic and sweet. Not in the same category at all as the other two.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: lady of shallot,

Posts: 13080 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I didn't know for a long time that my fragrance bothered my dh while we were dating. He could have told me much sooner.

I am still amazed at male selective hearing. All the grandsons have it too.

Strings

Friends divide our sorrows and multiply our joys.

Posts: 6376 | Registered: Sep 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm a fairly new poster to the hgtv boards. My name is Grace and I think I am truly blessed to be married to the man I am married to. He never compared my cooking to his mother's except to say he preferred it. He grew up eating a lot of casseroles but it isn't because his mom did not know how to cook it is because she didn't have time to cook. His parents were concord grape farmers contracted by Welch's. That meant that most of the months out of the year were taken up with taking care of the grapes. Something that he and his siblings had to help with from the time they were old enough and even after they were married and all of the spouses were drafted to help too and I honestly enjoyed learning all that went with being a grape farmer. Once they retired though, things didn't really change with her cooking. It was still a 9 inch casserole meant to serve 4 adults and two teenage grandsons who were bottomless pits. When we left there after eating dinner we often stopped at a fast food place to get them more food because they were still hungry. There was never enough for seconds. My in laws thought I cooked too much food when we had them here for dinner but no one ever left hungry and my husband loved that I made sure there was always enough food for our company. My father in law would pig out like he had never eaten before and I enjoyed seeing him love to eat my cooking even though he would say I made too much. He also didn't hesitate to say if he didn't like something. Apparently they didn't care for cheesecake so he said so. I didn't make it for dessert when they were invited over unless other guests were included. If that happened I made two desserts so they all had a choice. So yes, my dh is amazing in the positive sense. He does everything he can to please me and I do the same for him. I am truly blessed.

Posts: 42 | Registered: Feb 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
My mother once said that she wished she had a video security camera in her house so that when Daddy asked her where she moved his fibbergidget she could show him the feedback and he could see where HE put it. LOL

There is a tremendous amount of good about my DH, but he can be so frustrating. We had two events for this weekend. He wanted to go to one. I wanted to go to the other. So two weeks ago he told me to go to 'my' event with my DS and he would go to 'his' event. He made motel reservations for his event - I saw the printout - reservations for TWO! ???? I overheard him talking on the phone about "we" were headed that way Saturday morning. ???? Friday evening he told me that "we" would be heading out about 6 a.m. in the morning. I told him that I wasn't going there...I was going to the other event. He was furious and told me basically that I was selfish...it was "I" - "I" - "I" !!!

I know that sometimes we do not listen to each other...but he did not listen to himself! <<>>

Posts: 17371 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of peppermintpattitotherescue
posted Hide Post
Hello All,
Just for the record DH always liked my cooking, but it was of a different ethnic. Mine is from Colorado where it was predominantly Mexican/Spanish/American Indian. Hers was Dutch, so no competition not that he ever compared us. I
DH did have an annoying habit of leaving his address book in his shirt pocket which after work, he hung on the bedroom doorknob. I had asked him to take address book out of the pocket before hanging up his shirt on the knob and not to hang dirty shirt on knob. Well, after the third time of me going through collecting dirty clothes and not checking the pockets and washing his address book. He laid down the law. His statement was, "From now on I will do all my own wash." Okay by me. Well, Monday morning came and he's looking for a clean shirt in the closet. "Where are all my shirts???" Me: "Did you do "your" laundry?" "No, check the doorknob" He looked at me like his whole world had come crashing around him. From then on all his laundry was placed in the laundry bin, all pockets were emptied and I did and still do all the wash. No more complaints.
But this started out being a story of my FIL. MIL's sister and her husband came to America from Holland for a visit with FIL and MIL. We were all invited to MIL's house for dinner to welcome Aunt and Uncle. Well, after we had dinner, FIL pops up before I did and starts removing dirty dishes. I was so flabbergasted, for he didn't ever help with housework not one thing. Mom took care of house and siblings took care of garbage, lawn, etc. I have a big mouth and declare very loudly, "Papa what in the world has gotten into you." He stopped in his tracks as if had done something illegal. Then the Aunt said something in Dutch and he colored up. Then we had a good laugh cause he was trying so hard to impress the sister. He had no reason to, they had all known each other for countless years before FIL and MIL came to America. I still laugh at how he stopped as if he were going to be shot/arrested. I know I shouldn't have done it, but I was really surprised.
Sorry, this is so long. I'll be shorter next time.

Save Planet Earth, it is the only Planet with chocolate!!

Posts: 1001 | Location: Camarillo, California | Registered: Mar 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My first husband told me that I should check with his mother to see how she made pancakes....well, I aswered back very sweetly..... "If you wanted your mother's pancakes, you wouldn't have married me." (I did learn to make her kind of pancakes eventually...lol) Also my dad, who loved coffee, told me "next time you make coffee, would you put a little more coffee in....this tastes like colored water!" Love him!

love life

Posts: 1569 | Location: omaha, ne U.S.A. | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
My mother once said that she wished she had a video security camera in her house

This is what we say about a tape recorder and did in fact recently tape some of our conversations. But then we found a way to argue about that so stopped. Our thing is like yours, Sherry, DH does not listen and does not remember.

He went to store for bananas. I said please get a tube of the small baking powder biscuits. He told me he said to someone in the store that he thought he would just get the wrong ones (he didn't really say that) But I think he did get the big ones.

Picture of Annon
posted Hide Post
Every six weeks or so I go away for a week to take care of grandchildren, or a quilt show...whatever.

Every time I get home the kitchen counter is lined up with clean dishes from the dishwasher he "didn't know where they go"! We've lived in this house ten years.

Posts: 3641 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
I think DH was starting to have some serious memory problems. His cardio dr recently changed one of his meds and he seems so much better now.

But they are pretty amazing!! Fortunately for me, DH has never compared my cooking to his mother's. Early in our relationship he mentioned German Potato Salad as something he liked when he was young because his Mom was 1st generation from Germany. So I searched for what I thought would be an authentic recipe. He loved it and the other dishes I made. One day I asked how it compared to his mother's his answer was - She never made it.

Fun and Info

Posts: 3606 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My DH never compared my cooking to his mother's. He just asked me to talk to her about a couple of recipes - specifically her apricot fried pies. When you follow a good recipe exact you hear, "Ummm....just like Mom's."

1st DH just asked why I put mustard in the refrigerator - his mother left it in the pantry.

Posts: 17371 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This all reminds me of a letter to dear abby. A man had written in and said his mother always did the pots and pans before she sat down to dinner. He wanted Abby to reprimand his wife for not doing the same thing!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Annon:
Every six weeks or so I go away for a week to take care of grandchildren, or a quilt show...whatever.

Every time I get home the kitchen counter is lined up with clean dishes from the dishwasher he "didn't know where they go"! We've lived in this house ten years.

I'm impressed that he actually unloaded the dishwasher even if he didn't put them away in the cabinets.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Charming:

...She never made it.

I laughed out loud at this one!

posted Hide Post
WE just got back from shopping errands. DH dropped me off at one store while he went to another. He made me turn on my phone before he left. While I was in my store, I remembered something I wanted from his. Tried to call him and you know what? Of course he did not have his phone on!

Then when I chided him for that, he said he had turned on his phone, then, "Oh, wait, I meant to turn my phone on but didn't remember to do it!"

Picture of Handie Ann
posted Hide Post
About six years after my DS and DIL were married she asked me if I would share my recipe for pancakes. She had been trying every recipe that she could find for pancakes and he kept saying that they didn't taste like moms. I started to laugh and said sure just to up to Freds go to isle #8 and grab a bag of Krusteis pancake mix. I thought that she was going to do harm to my DS. If she had asked me earlier I would have told her, That is the only time he compaired her cooking with my cooking. She was a great cook.
My DH will eat almost anything I cook. I tease him that the first few years we were married I treated him like a G__D, I gave him burnt offerings every night. LOL

Handie Ann

Posts: 3602 | Location: Des Moines, Wa. USA | Registered: Jan 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is a good thread to shout HALLELUJAH!!!
DH had been on a low dose cholesterol med and a low dose BP med. He started having some muscular problems and I told him that it could be the cholesterol med - we've had two friends who had some severe problems - way worse than his - that were attributed to their cholesterol med. One fought depression for TWO YEARS before getting straight again. Well, it took TWO YEARS before I got DH talked into addressing the problems with his doctor. She immediately jerked him off the medication. His total cholesterol was under 200 anyway and they were just trying to lower it a little...the med had made no difference at all.

The other med for BP - DH had fought going on that to start with. He is a retired dentist and argued with his current doctor and two previous doctors that the human body had not changed since he retired from dentistry and he knew what BP level was permitted for a man of his age. The last doctor told him that the medical field had changed it's opinion of the "old" thought. So...DH went on BP meds...a real low dose that he even had to cut in half... In February this year, guess what, the medical field changed its mind on what was allowed for "old folks." It took less time of me harping on him to get him to call his doctor. She confirmed the new study and told him that at such a low dose, he could just quit taking the medication. He will continue to monitor his BP to assure that it does not shoot up but ...

HALLELUJAH!!! I am hoping and praying that he picks up just a bit more energy and feels "perkier" and able to walk without "jelly" legs. LOL

This message has been edited. Last edited by: KeepYouInStitches,

Picture of joyluck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KeepYouInStitches:
I am hoping and praying that he picks up just a bit more energy and feels "perkier" and able to walk without "jelly" legs.

One of the side effects of statin dru_gs (if that is what your DH was taking) is lowered levels of CoQ10. Also as we age our bodies produce less CoQ10 which is necessary at the cellular level for energy. Not all Dr's believe it's necessary but many do.

http://www.livestrong.com/arti...deficiency-symptoms/

Lucky

"I have always had an aversion to the concepts of in style and out of style." ~Rose Tarlow

Inspirational pics: http://inspiration4u.shutterfly.com/

Posts: 12754 | Location: north of 50 in Canada zone3b | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lucky - The cholesterol med was a statin.

I know about the CoQ10, but DH won't take hardly anything. I HATE it when he gets a cold with a cough because he won't take cough suppressant not even to get a good night's sleep. <> (Yet another reason why we are now in two different bedrooms at night...)

I can barely get a multi-vitamin down him. Last October the doctor told him to start taking Vitamin D. He did so begrudgingly. Only when he has a cold will he take a C.