Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Food & Entertaining
  turkey carcass with some meat
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

turkey carcass with some meat Sign In/Join 
posted
Now what? Years ago while working and listening to a radio show, the lady said that she would roast/cook her carcass some more to make soup/stock. That is all I can remember. Anyone ever done something like that? She did say the bones got real dark and added a lot of flavor.

What do others do to make soup from the carcass?

Thanks!

Strings

Friends divide our sorrows and multiply our joys.

Posts: 6170 | Registered: Sep 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
Oh, turkey soup with carrots, celery and noodles (just like chicken soup) will be wonderful. You could also do turkey and rice soup.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6208 | Location: Northwest Florida | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
After boiling the carcass, pick the rest of the meat off, add other turkey meat and make turkey and dumplings! Or turkey pot pie...

Save any leftover broth in the freezer.

Posts: 16466 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
I always make soup with mine -- soup bones, carrots, celery, onion, thyme and simmer until I have a nice stock. Then I strain out the vegetables, take the meat off the bones, add fresh vegetables and simmer until vegetables are done. I sometimes add frozen peas. Noodles or rice can be added as well, but we prefer it without.

Martha

Posts: 5400 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How much water do you know to add to make broth?

Posts: 551 | Registered: Jan 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post

Posts: 16466 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Sherry, I have 2 chicken carcasses in the freezer to add to my turkey carcass. I've only made broth once and I'm scared I'll use too much water.

Posts: 551 | Registered: Jan 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Spanish Revival
posted Hide Post
If I can find it I use Turkey Stock. Pick all the meat off the bones, cover carcass with stock, add onions, carrots and celery I add left over gravy too after I skim all the fat. I usually simmer for a few hours. Then remove all the veggies, and add the meat. I just heat the meat through so as not to boil it and make it rubbery. We like it with egg noodles, and a little pat of butter at the end doesn't hurt either! Wink

Posts: 908 | Location: Florida | Registered: Aug 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I pretty much do what everyone else does, add celery, carrots and a couple of bay leaves. I don't usually add the onion. Once the stock is done I remove those veggies and bay leaves and the carcass and bones. I add a bag of frozen mixed veggies and also add about a 1/2 cup of barley and cook long enough for the veggies to be tender and the barley cooked. I also season with salt and pepper and about one tsp. of poultry seasoning. I still make egg noodles to have with it since the barley is a minimal amount. I also don't put the turkey meat into the soup because everyone prefers it without in my family.

Posts: 37 | Registered: Feb 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of beedeeess
posted Hide Post
Do pretty much what everyone else does except I always try and make as much turkey gravy as I can and freeze it until ready to make soup. Last step in my soup is boiling the noodles in the broth and adding the turkey gravy. If I don't have enough gravy, I had a few packs of McCormick's turkey gravy mix.

Posts: 257 | Location: Southampton, NJ | Registered: Nov 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So many great ideas to try. Thanks!

Strings

Picture of CA Lori
posted Hide Post
Here's how I make mine:
Broth:
1 leftover carcass, broken up to fit into pot)
2 1/2 qts. water (10 c)
1 chicken bouillon cube
2 celery ribs w/leaves
2 sm yellow onions, halved
1 carrot, quartered (no need to peel)
6 whole peppercorns
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 ts seasoned salt (I don't use this)
1/4 ts ground thyme

Put in a large stock pot, bring to a boil, and simmer, covered, for 2 hrs.

Soup:
8 c strained broth (discard everything else)
2 chicken bouillon cubes
3/4 ts pepper
3/4 c chopped onion
4 c various veggies of your choice. (I like to use 2 med. carrots, peeled and sliced; 2 ribs chopped celery; 14 mushrooms, sliced and I like to cook them in butter first before adding to soup; 1 sm diced yam; 1/4 of a cabbage head, shredded or about 14 sm brussels sprouts, halved; 3 peeled plum tomatoes, diced.)

Cover and simmer soup for about 20 minutes or til veggies are tender. During the last 10-15 minutes, add:
2 c diced, cooked turkey*
1 c raw spaghetti noodles, broken in 2" pieces

*I use 1 c turkey or less because I don't care for too much turkey. I'm the same way with chicken pot pies. I'm more interested in the veggies than the meat. No, I'm not a vegan!

Posts: 5881 | Location: Calif. | Registered: Sep 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Seaborne
posted Hide Post
I also roast turkey pieces before making soup broth. I think that's what this lady meant - to put the carcass with meat attached into a roasting pan into the oven and brown it - then, put the broken up carcass into a soup pot and add water, aromatics, whatever to make a rich deep broth. Add enough water to keep everything covered - or as much as your pot can hold.

Seaborne

Posts: 975 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: Nov 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Made the stock and then the soup. It turned out better than I thought it would. I have frozen the rest of the soup. Also froze the rest of the stock. Figure can use it whenever I need chicken stock.

Thank you all so much for the help.

Strings