Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Food & Entertaining
  morning glory muffins recipe
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

morning glory muffins recipe Sign In/Join 
Picture of lady of shallot
posted
I want to share this because I love these so much and I think they are healthy to eat:

MORNING GLORY MUFFINS

In a large bowl sift together 4 C of all purpose flour, 2 1/2 C of sugar, 4 t each baking soda and cinnamon and 1 t salt. Stir in 4 C grated carrot, 1 C each of raisins, chopped pecans and sweetened shredded coconut and 2 apples peeled, cored and grated. In a bowl beat 6 large eggs with 2 C vegetable oil and 4t vanilla and stir the batter until it is just combined. Spoon the batter into well buttered muffin tins, filling them to the top and bake in a preheated oven @ 350 degrees until done or they are springy to the touch. Let cool completely.

O.K. I made 1/2 this recipe on Sunday and had 18. I used paper liners. They baked about 23 - 25 minutes in my elec oven. Made these for my sisters visit next week in Mass and took some to my Mah Jongg group this morning. They are very moist and tasty and good for you too. Oh, I just picked the pecans and cashews (had to substitute) out of a large can of nuts I have.

Posts: 12137 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
They do sound good, but to make them healthier, I would sub Truvia for most of the sugar.

Posts: 18382 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
They do sound good! While they have carrots, apples, and raisins in them, they may be good, but not necessarily good for you. Wink

I did a quick calorie guesstimation....counting only things measured in cups...divided by 36 muffins the calorie content of one muffin would be about 251 calories...give or take.

Since one would never be enough for me Smile I couldn't eat anything else until sometime in the middle of the afternoon. Frown

Posts: 16466 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Muffins are just cupcakes without icing!!!

They are not low calorie but they are good and these sound like a winner when you want to splurge!

Martha

Posts: 5400 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
These are a nice moist quick bread. Not a muffin type texture, nonetheless very tasty.
My recipe also has crushed pineapple in it.
Made them a few years ago for Easter breakfast at church. The recipe is easily multiplied and since they aren't a true muffin texture, they held well and were fresh a day or two later.

Posts: 2639 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Nov 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of joyluck
posted Hide Post
White flour, sugar, sweetened coconut, vegetable oil are not healthy altho the rest of the ingredients may be. Another example of the ignorance about healthy food choices. To make this recipe 'healthy' one would have to substitute organic whole wheat flour, stevia, natural unsweetened coconut, perhaps coconut oil or butter for those ingredients.

quote:
Originally posted by Froo Froo:
They do sound good, but to make them healthier, I would sub Truvia for most of the sugar.

Please check out the side effects Truvia has had on some people. Even tho there is stevia in it, which is healthy, Truvia is not. It's made by the Coca-Cola company, need I say more?

Lucky

"I have always had an aversion to the concepts of in style and out of style." ~Rose Tarlow

Inspirational pics: http://inspiration4u.shutterfly.com/

Posts: 12587 | Location: north of 50 in Canada | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Seaborne
posted Hide Post
Healthy ingredients - and one can lower the sugar if desired - would make a delicious breakfast. Thanks for posting the recipe.

Seaborne

Posts: 975 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: Nov 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Joyluck, we rarely use it and when we do, we have not experienced side effects. I realize some people have stated they do, but they may have underlying health conditions and/ or use it frequently. I basically sub some Truvia for a portion of the sugar called for in a recipe..the rest is sugar. I do not bake often except for guests or holidays.mThis article may educate others though they won't know if they'll have side effects and if they do, whether it's due to Truvia. As with most foods, moderation is always wise.
http://www.truviasideeffects.com/Digestion

Posts: 18382 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Another example of the ignorance about healthy food choices

Joy Luck I am not ignorant about food choices. Although I admit that I am not a fanatic about following all the latest food scare tactics and directives. I would never buy organic food. It is much more expensive and there are not controls over it. Actually any food home grown is "organic"

One's own body should be the final arbiter of the food choices they make. I have no allergies, no painful arthritis and DH and I are in generally much better health than almost anyone else we know who is our age.

Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
Cooks Country did a remake of Morning Glory muffins that sounds really good. They explain their changes - mostly to make it a better muffin.

Morning Glory Muffins

From Cook's Country

April​/May 2011

Morning Glory Muffins
Why this recipe works:
All of the versions of Morning Glory Muffins we tasted were greasy and full of fat. We cut the amount of fat in the original recipe by half, which fixed the problem. We also switched from oil to butter, which vastly improved the flavor. The apple and pineapple added tons of moisture to the muffins, which made them gummy and wet. We strained the fruits and pressed out the juice to take care of the problem.

Without the fruit juice, our muffins lacked their trademark fruity flavor. We reduced some of the extruded juice on the stovetop and added the syrupy liquid back into the batter to insert flavor without introducing too much moisture.

Watch the Video From our TV ShowWatch This Recipe » Season 5: Breakfast Breads

Makes 12 muffins

Don't throw away the juice from the can of pineapple; you'll need it. To toast the coconut and walnuts, place them in a dry skillet over medium heat and cook, stirring occasionally, until they're golden, about 5 minutes. Cool before grinding them. We prefer golden raisins here, but ordinary raisins will work, too.

Ingredients:
3/4 cup sweetened shredded coconut, toasted
1/2 cup walnuts, toasted
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 (8-ounce) can crushed pineapple
1 Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored, and shredded
8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
3 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups shredded carrots (2-3 medium)
1 cup golden raisins

Instructions
1. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 12-cup muffin tin. Process coconut and walnuts in food processor until finely ground. Add flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, baking powder, and salt and pulse until combined. Transfer mixture to large bowl.

2. Place pineapple and shredded apple in fine-mesh strainer set over liquid measuring cup. Press fruit dry (juice should measure about 1 cup). Bring juice to boil in large skillet over medium-high heat and cook until reduced to ¼ cup, about 5 minutes. Let cool slightly. Whisk melted butter, cooled juice, eggs, and vanilla until smooth. Stir wet mixture into dry mixture until combined. Stir in pineapple-apple mixture, carrots, and raisins.

3. Divide batter evenly among muffin cups. Bake until toothpick inserted in center of muffin comes out clean, 24 to 28 minutes. Cool in tin for 10 minutes, then turn out onto wire rack. Serve warm. (Muffins can be stored in airtight container for 3 days.)

Posts: 3397 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
As for food choices - I'm a little nervous about even trying stevia because I had such a bad reaction to Splenda/sucralose. I read a little on it and although rare the side effects are not good.

Also, organic has no real definition. I know that processed foods are not the best choices, but not everyone can afford to buy all those I'm too special to be sold at the Kroger ingredients. It is also a question of availability in some areas. Down here it is difficult to find many of the vegetables I grew up eating in the grocery or the farmers markets. If you do shop the farmers markets be prepared to pay significantly more than you pay in a chain grocery.

Those are the reality of natural foods. Dislike them all you want but frequently canned and frozen foods (buy salt free when available) contain more nutrients than their fresh counterparts that have been shipped across country.

One food related topic I find so funny to me, is the - Diet drinks make you fat comments. People posting this because they heard it on television and not really knowing what it means.

It does not mean drinking a Diet Coke with lunch is going to make those 600 calories you are consuming act like 1200. Calories combined with activity determines weight. SO it is not a new miracle of a zero calorie product causing other foods to develop calories, but because of how your brain might react to the sugar/sweet cues of the drink. So as long as you don't top off the diet drink with a Snickers bar, you should be okay with it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Charming,

Posts: 3397 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Charming:
As for food choices - I'm a little nervous about even trying stevia because I had such a bad reaction to Splenda/sucralose. I read a little on it and although rare the side effects are not good.

Also, organic has no real definition. I know that processed foods are not the best choices, but not everyone can afford to buy all those I'm too special to be sold at the Kroger ingredients. It is also a question of availability in some areas. Down here it is difficult to find many of the vegetables I grew up eating in the grocery or the farmers markets. If you do shop the farmers markets be prepared to pay significantly more than you pay in a chain grocery.

Those are the reality of natural foods. Dislike them all you want but frequently canned and frozen foods (buy salt free when available) contain more nutrients than their fresh counterparts that have been shipped across country.

One food related topic I find so funny to me, is the - Diet drinks make you fat comments. People posting this because they heard it on television and not really knowing what it means.

It does not mean drinking a Diet Coke with lunch is going to make those 600 calories you are consuming act like 1200. Calories combined with activity determines weight. SO it is not a new miracle of a zero calorie product causing other foods to develop calories, but because of how your brain might react to the sugar/sweet cues of the drink. So as long as you don't top off the diet drink with a Snickers bar, you should be okay with it.

Just had to say the "I'm too special to be sold at Kroger" comment cracked me up.

Also, I agree about the quality of frozen or canned vegetables, they needn't be fresh or local.

For me, some foods are worth paying more, others I don't care, I guess I'm not sophisticated enough to know the difference.

I believe in eating anything in moderation. I know people love to hate Coke, but an occasional Coke either regular or diet isn't going to kill you. If you can't drink it in moderation, I get that, don't touch it.

I am healthy, eat a mostly good diet, but I enjoy some junk in my life, tomorrow will be a bag of kettle corn from the local farmers market. I know it is not healthy (even if its corn)but life just wouldn't be fun if I couldn't enjoy my fun foods.

Those morning glory muffins look good, I may keep the recipe for when I have company.

Posts: 2438 | Location: Southern CA (Southbay) | Registered: Nov 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Annon
posted Hide Post
They sound very good to me, too. I like to eat healthy, but we also enjoy tasty food.

If "healthy" is what you want all the time, I guess you better not eat out. No matter what the food is, the portion size alone is unhealthy.

Posts: 3540 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Charming I will try your recipe too as DH loves pineapple. Which BTW is one of the fruits we often get a good buy on fresh (1.98)

I have a friend who loves Whole Foods and is always urging me to buy products there. Well I love Whole Foods too, but can not afford it. I am amused at the recommendations that people make with no regard to the cost they are urging on others.

I know a woman who is apt to say "well if you really wanted to take that expensive vacation you would do it" Without considering that her expensive vacations are on someone else's dime!

Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
Frankly, that recipe sounds very much like my carrot cake recipe!!! And I always substitute applesauce for half of the oil and never notice a difference.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6203 | Location: Northwest Florida | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
LoS I totally agree!

Whole Foods organic chicken breasts = $6.99 per pound purchased by son and his wife

Brookshires organic chicken leg quarters = $2 something (I forget exact cents) per pound purchased by me (chicken breasts were way cheaper than $6.99 but don't remember what because that is not what I wanted.)

While getting ice out of their refrigerator freezer the other day, I saw salmon from Whole Foods and flipped it over...I forgot the dollar amount but noticed it was farm raised. I though all "foodies" knew that farm raised salmon had a higher mercury count that wild-caught salmon.

Posts: 16466 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Meischa:
I enjoy some junk in my life, tomorrow will be a bag of kettle corn from the local farmers market. I know it is not healthy (even if its corn)but life just wouldn't be fun if I couldn't enjoy my fun foods. QUOTE]

Meischa - I say go ahead and enjoy that kettle corn. My rationale is that it isn't as bad for me as full blown caramel corn! There you go! It can be healthy - healthier - healthiest by some stretch of the imaginationSmile

Posts: 2639 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Nov 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post