Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Strawberry tip Sign In/Join 
Picture of CA Lori
posted
My friend just sent me an e-mail about how to prolong the life of berries. It said to remove them from the basket and soak them in 1 part vinegar to 10 parts water and they should be spore-free for about one week.

I'm tired of throwing out moldy strawberries (they usually are even in the bottom of the basket when I bring them home from the store.

Have any of you ever heard of this? I'm certainly going to give it a try.

Posts: 5882 | Location: Calif. | Registered: Sep 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wannaquilt2
posted Hide Post
Haven't heard of this, but I agree about them being overripe even at the store, especially those surprise ones on the bottom. :-( I'd like to try this, wonder if you taste the vinegar though. TFS

"We are all here.....because we are not all there."

Posts: 1925 | Location: Hither & Yon | Registered: Sep 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CA Lori
posted Hide Post
They said you could rinse them after the vinegar treatment but that it wasn't necessary because the vinegar was so diluted. I don't plan to rinse mine.

Posts: 5882 | Location: Calif. | Registered: Sep 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Interesting tip. Thanks for sharing. The last two times that I've gone to Costco, the strawberries have been from local fields. Those have lasted two weeks with no problem in the refrigerator.

Posts: 1725 | Registered: Aug 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
Yes, I've heard of it! Bana posted it over on the General Gardening board last year or early this year. She tried it...it works!!!
It is good for any berries...blackberries, blueberries, raspberries...and I might try it on grapes too!
Some have lasted as long as 2 wks in the fridge after the treatment.

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4314 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
Vinegar is a cure all for so many things.
Even my dermatologist recommends a dilute solution of vinegar and tap water to dab on itchy skin, bites, rash, allergic reactions.

Cleans up coffee pots, used in laundry, someone has probably written a book about 1001 uses for vinegar. Cheap and plentiful!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Lurah,

Posts: 2639 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Nov 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Spanish Revival
posted Hide Post
I have heard of this, posted it about a year ago or so, I've been doing it since and it really does work... It works well for strawberries, blackberries, blueberries, raspberries... and grapes too! Thanks for reminding us!

Posts: 908 | Location: Florida | Registered: Aug 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nance425
posted Hide Post
how long do you soak the berries?

Posts: 4582 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: Dec 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My daughter-in-law makes a Jaimie Oliver dessert called Eton Mess. It basically calls for crushed meringue pieces, almonds, whipped cream and strawberries in Balsamic Vinegarette...it is to die for! The strawberries taste like fresh-picked...so I'll have to try your idea for keeping them fresher, longer - for other uses.

Posts: 735 | Location: Canada | Registered: Jan 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CA Lori
posted Hide Post
I'll have to go back and check my e-mail, but I'm sure you just swish them around in the bowl quickly and then remove them from the bowl. I'm pretty sure it didn't say anything about soaking them.

posted Hide Post
I recently heard of this. I used it on grapes the other days, it's supposed to take all the waxy stuff off fruits and veggies. I'm eager to try it with berries. The instructions I saw said to fill the sink with water (I just used a large bowl) and stir in 1 cup of vinegar. Put fruits and veggies in for 10 minutes and rinse thoroughly.

Posts: 616 | Location: Indianapolis | Registered: Nov 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of joyluck
posted Hide Post
I've been using a diluted vinegar rinse for all my fruit and veggies since reading it on another forum last year. It works well and is especially noticeable with grapes which last much longer.

Lucky

"I have always had an aversion to the concepts of in style and out of style." ~Rose Tarlow

Inspirational pics: http://inspiration4u.shutterfly.com/

Posts: 12594 | Location: north of 50 in Canada | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CA Lori
posted Hide Post
I was not at all impressed with my tip. I'm going to try a second tip that I read about recently in the January issue of Woman's World. It said to line a cardboard box with paper towels and spread the strawberries out in a single layer. Don't know if it should be covered though. It didn't say. So I'll try it first with an open box. I plan to get some more strawberries tomorrow when I go shopping.

Picture of Kathy_in_wlsv
posted Hide Post
I will definitely try this. I have a 7 year old vegetarian.. seriously the kid lives on veggies, fruits, cereals, grains. but his favorite is strawberries and so many of the berries are already moldy by the second day.

Do you use cider vinegar or white vinegar?

Life is GOOD!!

Posts: 1508 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: Nov 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
I tried this, then rinsed the strawberries. I really can't tell you if it worked, because we ate all the strawberries within 24 hours. LOL

Posts: 16472 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CA Lori
posted Hide Post
Don't know whether white or distilled vinegar was recommended. I used distilled and they still got moldy. I just bought another box of strawberries today and put them in a paper towel-lined cardboard box. I'll let you know if it works any better.

posted Hide Post
I did try it with the strawberries, and it worked for me. The berries lasted about a week or longer. I also used it with leaf lettuce I got at the farmers' market 2 weeks ago. I have a little left still, and the lettuce is still good! The same with a couple of tomatoes. Tomatoes always go bad for me on the counter and I still have 2 from 2 weeks ago that are good. I guess it could be because they are directly from the grower and not the grocery, but still....

Posts: 616 | Location: Indianapolis | Registered: Nov 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
CA Lori, if you left the strawberries wet when you put them back in the fridge...that could have made a difference. I always let mine drain for awhile on paper towels, then into some kind of container.

I went to a u-pick yesterday & picked over 13 lbs. of strawberries. They all got a rinse in the sink w/white vinegar. That was the kind that was the handiest. Big Grin

If you want a regular veggies wash, google homemade veggie wash and use the recipe that comes up that has vinegar in it. It will help remove a major amount of pesticide/herbicide residues on veggies.

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4314 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CA Lori
posted Hide Post
Yes, I did dry the strawberries.

I found that the cardboard box/paper towel tip works better.