Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Food & Entertaining
  OK so how do you do egg salad?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

OK so how do you do egg salad? Sign In/Join 
Picture of junk collector
posted
I had to use up some eggs, so tonight is egg salad sandwiches. Pretty plain, Dijon mustard w/mayo, pepper and green onions. DH will rummage the cupboard till he finds the paprika, no doubt.

What's in yours? What type of bread? Wish I had a dark rye for tonight but will do without.

Posts: 3249 | Registered: Aug 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
Chopped egg, mayo, little mustard, sweet salad cubes, hot sauce.

Fun and Info

Posts: 3484 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
I use something crunchy (usually celery but sometimes cucumber), Dijon, enough mayo to moisten, salt and pepper. And I like my bread toasted and a leaf of lettuce on it as well.

Martha

Posts: 5843 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of junk collector
posted Hide Post
Charming - what is a sweet salad cube? Not familiar with the term.

Posts: 3249 | Registered: Aug 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kathy_in_wlsv
posted Hide Post
chopped eggs, mayo, a dab of French's yellow mustard, a bit of onion powder, serve on rye.. hungry.

Life is GOOD!!

Posts: 1554 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: Nov 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by junk collector:
Charming - what is a sweet salad cube? Not familiar with the term.

I'm not charming but they are pretty much just larger pieces of relish....more chunky. They are in the pickle section of the grocery store.

I do chopped eggs, chopped celery, chopped onion, a bit of swt. relish & enough mayo so that it is creamy but not dripping.

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4801 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CA Lori
posted Hide Post
I like mine kind of plain, just eggs, mayo, and green onions.

Posts: 5976 | Location: Calif. | Registered: Sep 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wannaquilt2
posted Hide Post
Eggs, mayo, dash of Worcestershire, few shakes of Tabasco. I make my deviled eggs the same.
;-D

"We are all here.....because we are not all there."

Posts: 1932 | Location: Hither & Yon | Registered: Sep 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
eggs
mayonnaise
mustard
dehydrated onion
minced pimento stuffed olives
salt
pepper
paprika

Any bread works for me!

These are the same ingredients I use for deviled (stuffed) eggs.

I have a brother-in-law who likes deviled eggs, but not egg salad. I looked at him and said that it was the same ingredients...just all mashed up instead of just the yellow mashed up. Logical man that he is did not appreciate my logical explanation. LOL

Posts: 16987 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
Just a little bit of mayo, smoked paprika and Dijon mustard. Sometimes, I mix in crumbled bacon and garnish with chives.

Posts: 5268 | Registered: Jul 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of joyluck
posted Hide Post
For family egg sandwiches I mash eggs with a pastry blender, add S&P, Helmanns mayo, green onions or grated onion. Leaf lettuce if I have it. If no company I also add curry powder.

Favorite bread is homemade white or French or Italian.

Lucky

"I have always had an aversion to the concepts of in style and out of style." ~Rose Tarlow

Inspirational pics: http://inspiration4u.shutterfly.com/

Posts: 12720 | Location: north of 50 in Canada zone3b | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tea Lover
posted Hide Post
This is the recipe I use for tea sandwiches:

Spicy Egg Salad Sandwiches
Tea Time Magazine, Fall 2005

6 hard boiled eggs, peeled and finely chopped
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
Pepper to taste
12 slices Oroweat Oatnut bread

In medium bowl, combine eggs, mayonnaise, and horseradish. Add pepper to taste. Spread mixture on bread slices. Cut off crusts and cut into four pieces.

Posts: 591 | Location: So Calif | Registered: Feb 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
I grate the cooked eggs, add salt and pepper and mayo and 2 X chopped olives to the # of eggs I have used.

My deviled eggs are really good and include grated yolks, hot pepper sauce, horseradish, mayo, seasonings (maybe celery seed, dry mustard) topped with a sprinkle of paprika and if I have them, a couple of criss crossed pieces of chives.

Posts: 12538 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of flboy
posted Hide Post
Plain Jane here, I just use 6 hard boiled eggs chopped good and 3 tablespoons of lite mayo and pepper sprinkled across the top of chopped eggs. The mayo is salty enough that sometimes I do not add any salt. It depends on the brand of mayo if I add salt or not. I love a fresh roll, I try to find one of those powdered flour on top type.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: flboy,

html

Posts: 2480 | Location: Sarasota | Registered: Jan 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Spanish Revival
posted Hide Post
I use a pastry blender to chop so that it's kind of chunky, then mayo, pepper, finely diced celery and sometimes 2 or 3 chopped green olives stuffed with pimiento... no salt. I like salt but for some reason not with eggs.

Posts: 950 | Location: Florida | Registered: Aug 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post