Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Food & Entertaining
  ? Holiday Brie en Croute ?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

? Holiday Brie en Croute ? Sign In/Join 
Picture of CA Lori
posted
I'm thinking about making this recipe (posted by aychihuahua in Dec. 2011). She said it was "easy peasy."

My question is: Can I assemble this on Thursday and bake it on Saturday or is that too long of a time span? I watched the video and the cook said you could assemble it but don't do the egg wash until time of baking. I think she also said to bake it 10 mins. more if it has been refrigerated.

I'm hoping that 48 hours isn't too long to wait to bake this recipe.

Posts: 5884 | Location: Calif. | Registered: Sep 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
Hi, Lori -- I have never done this in advance because frankly I am not that organized.

I looked it up and according to directions from William-Sonoma's brie en croute recipe made with puff pastry dough, it can be made up to 2 weeks in advance. You can assemble the pastry and cheese, but DON'T brush with egg wash. Instead, you can wrap the pastry tightly with plastic wrap and freeze until ready to bake.

Then brush the FROZEN pastry with egg wash and bake in a 350 degree oven for 45 - 50 minutes.

The temperature is lower and the baking time longer because the pastry is frozen.

Hope this helps.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: aychihuahua,

Posts: 5164 | Registered: Jul 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
I've done some of this overnight and it works fine. And I would assume that freezing it would work although I've never tried it.

But it is a good dish and I've made it lots!!!

Martha

Posts: 5404 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CA Lori
posted Hide Post
Thanks for getting back to me.

Would you bother to freeze it if you're going to make it within two days?

Posts: 5884 | Location: Calif. | Registered: Sep 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CA Lori:
Thanks for getting back to me.

Would you bother to freeze it if you're going to make it within two days?

NO.

Picture of CA Lori
posted Hide Post
My Winco carried several Bries but they were all only 8 oz. Am I going to have a hard time locating a 13-oz size?

Picture of CA Lori
posted Hide Post
I called around and found that Raley's came through again for me! They had the 13-oz wheel. Long time ago, Raley's became my go-to store for items that I can't find where I usually shop. I would shop there more often but it's a little pricey and a little out of my way.

The clerk's mouth was watering when he heard that I was going to make it in "that puff pastry."

Picture of nance425
posted Hide Post
You know, I saw it at Aldi's, but maybe it was 8 oz. Not sure what "grade" it was. Smile
When I made it at Christmas, no one liked it. Frown

This message has been edited. Last edited by: nance425,

Posts: 4582 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: Dec 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
Lori, you can make the brie en croute using an 8 oz. wheel and one puff pastry sheet. That's what I've always used.

Picture of CA Lori
posted Hide Post
Oh, nance425, that's terrible news!!!! Too late to change my mind now. I'll let you know next week if anyone liked it.

Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
If you like Brie you will enjoy, however....it is not an item I choose to use for a large group on an hors d'oeurves buffet. It is extremely difficult to serve yourself a portion of this with only one free hand!
After a few guests have tried to get a taste it is not an attractive looking offering. In fact it is a mess.
But I have served it for a small party of a few friends where we can pass it around and more easily serve ourselves.

Posts: 2639 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Nov 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CA Lori
posted Hide Post
The recipe was a hit. Everyone seemed to like it. I thought it was delicious.

My complaint is that I let it cool for 30 mins.--I think 15 mins would have been more than enough cooling time (the party was held outdoors). I would definitely make it again.

I have an old electric heating tray that I haven't used in years. Maybe it would be a good idea to put the dish on that.