Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

OT - Kitty TLC Sign In/Join 
Picture of nettiejay
posted
Sorry for the OT... Although it does pertain to Entertaining kitties. Wink

While son and DIL are on vacation this week, I'm looking in on the grandkitties so they don't feel emotionally abandoned.
I don't have pets and only had dogs as a kid. Know very little about cats. Do you think it's okay to take them a little treat? If so, what kind? I wouldn't want to upset their tummies or anything.

Posts: 4342 | Location: zone 6b, Missouri | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know much about cats except that they can be finicky. They probably would enjoy a toy more than a food treat which would be safer for you, too, as you don't know what foods might upset their systems.

Posts: 1725 | Registered: Aug 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of joyluck
posted Hide Post
If your son and DIL did not leave treats I suggest you not give them anything other than their regular food. As Gracie said a toy may be better. Cats are easily amused by many things that move so if you bring a small ball they might chase it. One of my cats likes to play with pencils and if I leave one on the table she will jump up to knock it to the floor, play with it awhile, and eventually knock it under the buffet. I have to search before vacuuming under there as there could be anything hidden there she thinks is a toy! She also, for some strange reason likes to chew on emery boards so I have to be careful not to leave one where she can find it. I doubt her teeth need smoothing down! LOL

If you want to make friends with cats just sit quietly and let them come to you. With many cats if you try too hard they will back off.

Lucky

"I have always had an aversion to the concepts of in style and out of style." ~Rose Tarlow

Inspirational pics: http://inspiration4u.shutterfly.com/

Posts: 12594 | Location: north of 50 in Canada | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
nettiejay, How nice of you to offer to help with the "grand-kitties! I'm sure that it eased your son and dil's minds to know that someone who really cared would be checking in on them so that they can enjoy their vacation without worrying about "the kids back home!" Smile

Yes, it's definitely okay to take them a treat ~ just a different type of treat than you are thinking ~ NOT ONE THAT IS FOOD BASED! Instead, I'm sure they would enjoy the treat of some interactive "play-time" while their "parents" are gone. Yes, they can entertain themselves for the most part, but they might really enjoy some play-time to break up the boredom of no one home for such a long period of time!

I understand that you are not familiar with cats but would like to make them happy ~ luckily, cats are very easily pleased and a little interaction will please them far more than any food (which, by the way, is a really bad idea.)

So what "play-time" am I suggesting? Well, it depends on the age and personalities of the cats involved. First, stop by Walgreens, Walmart or your local grocery chain and buy a few toys from their pet section. Nothing elaborate ~ maybe a stuffed catnip mouse or two but if you can find a Cat Laser Light ~ bingo!

Then go over to the house, clean the litter box, refill water/food and then go sit down quietly where they can see you. If one or both are willing to approach you, you can toss out the catnip mouse on the string and let the cat explore it ~ don't worry, the cat will know how to play ~ you just have to participate on your end of the string! Big Grin

If one or the other of the cats seems fearful, just leave them alone and play with the other. It can be FUN for all of you ~ especially if you are able to find a Cat Laser Light and start playing with it with them. Check it out; you'll find out what I'm talking about....

Do not leave any "toys" or anything new that you have brought into the house with them ~ it's not safe to give any animals new objects and then leave them unattended. Just bring them with you when you next come over ~ bet the cats will be looking forward to your return! Cool

Posts: 6487 | Registered: Jan 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nettiejay
posted Hide Post
Thanks everybody. I knew I could count on your help.

As advised, I've been going daily to check on the Girls. I know I can't replace their 'real' parents, but I think they feel I'm an okay substitute. Wink My instinct told me strange food treats might not be good. Thanks for confirming that.

IR... Ashes loves playing the string-on-a-stick game. Not sure about the laser light, though. Sounds like it might be too exciting for a kitty who gets hyper-stimulated just having the windows open on a nice spring day!

Thanks again for the help, ladies.

Posts: 4342 | Location: zone 6b, Missouri | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nettiejay:

IR... Ashes loves playing the string-on-a-stick game. Not sure about the laser light, though. Sounds like it might be too exciting for a kitty who gets hyper-stimulated just having the windows open on a nice spring day!

Actually, nettiejay, that is exactly the type of cat who can benefit most from having a human play laser light with them! It doesn't "over-stimulate them" ~ just the opposite in fact. Helps them burn off some energy, have fun doing so and, as a bonus, connect with the "humans" in their lives. Big Grin

Once "playtime" (even as little as 5-10 minutes) is done, they are satisfied and happy and will be content to look forward to the next time! Your son and DIL are lucky to have you ~ thanks for posting the thread even if it was OT... Cool

Posts: 6487 | Registered: Jan 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Before laser lights we just used a flashlight. Bigger beam but the cats still like to chase it. Watch where you point. Cats can run over lampshades and all sorts of thingsSmile

Posts: 6725 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post