Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Food & Entertaining
  cold day - hot bowl of chili
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

cold day - hot bowl of chili Sign In/Join 
Picture of junk collector
posted
Miserable windy cold winter day today. Our first taste of it this season, and we are staying put as there is no reason to go out in the wind. Even the pups won't go out.

Cooking a small pot of chili with beans and will have with corn chips and a little cheese. Likely with a seasonal beer too. I restocked the basic spices, so looking forward to it!

So what are you cooking?

Posts: 3484 | Registered: Aug 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
I was planning on chili, then realized that I had no chili powder. I've done this once already and made do. Tomorrow after church we are going to stop at the store...

Posts: 17383 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh LOL So we are going to have the rest of the lasagna...

Posts: 17383 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In Louisiana we call it gumbo weather. And that's what we're having today--cold weather AND gumbo. But I'm a huge fan of chili as well.

Posts: 3547 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
I made a big pot of homemade cream of potato soup on Thur. We had reruns of that tonight.
It was GOOD!
And there will be sour cream cake in awhile! Big Grin

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 5125 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
There is nothing like big bowls of chili or soup when it is really cold out!

Martha

Posts: 6353 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mmmmmmmmmmmm, split pea soup served with hot corn bread.

Posts: 3547 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
When debating the menu for dinner tonight, I mentioned 15 bean soup, but DH and I decided we'd wait for a cold day when we'd really appreciate it.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6828 | Location: north Georgia mountains  | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh potato soup! I have good uncured bacon in the freezer. Maybe I'll make that tomorrow.

I stocked up on the basics (chili powder, cumin, etc) as the pre holiday prices were really low. Still need exotics, but it is nice to have fresh spices.

Miserable winds here and constant for the past 24+ hours.

posted Hide Post
Chili here today and you've jogged my memory that I have tri-colored tortilla strips in the cupboard to top it. I might even get a little wild and sprinkle shredded cheese on top. Making some Jiffy cornbread to go along with it.

Posts: 572 | Registered: Jan 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trish212
posted Hide Post
I was able to talk hub in making potato leek soup yesterday. He's wanting me to make my chili. I'm waiting until tomorrow, leftover potato leek soup mmmmm mmmmm good. We have home baked bread to go with it.

Posts: 5238 | Registered: Jan 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

posted Hide Post
Chicken pot pie!

Posts: 684 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
and tonight we have the potato soup. Love that sort of thing, it is really a "dump it in the pot and let it cook" kind of dish. Wink