Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Diabetes Sign In/Join 
posted
I would appreciate your opinions of the best diabetes cookbooks.

Posts: 310 | Location:  | Registered: Apr 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You do not need a diabetic cookbook. A healthily diet is a diabetic diet so you do not need anything special.

Posts: 7288 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just keep the carbs low. Take a nutrition class for diabetics - they are usually free at your local hospital.

Posts: 1477 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
Are you interested in baking and making substitutions for regular recipes so diabetics can enjoy or general meal cooking?

Lean meats, low fat intake, lots of fresh fruit and veggies. Whole grain breads.

Really have to watch the fat intake, as well as carbs.

Ask your dietician or nutritionist about using fat free,low fat options and artificial sweetners. Sometimes I wonder about their healtfulness in the diet.

I'm sorry, but we have no diabetes in either family, so I'm unfamiliar with cookbooks.

Are there diabetes support group or recommendations from the foundation/association?

Certainly there are so many more helpful options these days than 50 years ago.

Posts: 2848 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Nov 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Annon
posted Hide Post
Fruit is loaded with natural sugar. Enjoy in very small amounts, and skip the juice. You probably already know this, but I feel I should mention it for the benefit of anyone trying to cook for a diabetic.

Posts: 3642 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
No diabetics in my household either, but I had one very close friend with juvenile onset diabetes and I have several friends with type 2 diabetes. Opinions have changed from when my friend was diagnosed as a 6 year old to today's diets. It's not just sugar and carbs that affect your body.

A diabetic diet is healthy for a diabetic. People with no health concerns need not follow the same diet as a diabetic.

Keep in mind that exercise is just as important as diet.

The internet has a wealth of information.
http://diabetes.webmd.com/diab...abetic-friendly-meal

http://www.livestrong.com/arti...betes-type-1-type-2/

http://diabetes.eatwiserx.com/diabetes-meal-plans/

http://www.diabetescounselling.com.au/

If you find conflicting advice, be sure to check with your doctor...and you should have a doctor who specializes in that field.

Posts: 17376 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cruciferous Vegetables are a good choice. They have low glycemic values.

Posts: 840 | Registered: Sep 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
KYIS! I must disagree with you. I have been diabetic for over 35 years. A diabetic diet is simply a healthy diet and it should be followed by everyone, diabetic or not. (of course it isn't all the time but that is life).

It is a balance of protein, carbs, diary, fat, and fruit and vegetables. The balance must work for your body. Sugar does NoT have to be avoided but it is an empty calorie and will use up your carb allowance quickly.

Posts: 7288 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wannaquilt2
posted Hide Post
It is a travesty how the American Diabetic Association advocates a high carb diet - poison to a diabetic!

"We are all here.....because we are not all there."

Posts: 1942 | Location: Hither & Yon | Registered: Sep 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wannaquilt2
posted Hide Post
flboy - your are correct. Walking helps me more than anything. I have just over the borderline levels.

Posts: 1942 | Location: Hither & Yon | Registered: Sep 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
To the top, to bring a current thread up where it belongs!!

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6824 | Location: north Georgia mountains  | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My DH was diagnosed with type 2 this summer-big time and life changing for him and me too. For those that know about A1C readings, his was 15.8 when diagnosed. Carb counting is very crucial, and also learning about empty carbs and healthy one, like fruit. I've downloaded some great apps for my phone and iPad that aid us in planning what he eats. Calorie King and Go to Meals HD are helpful, plus I keep the Diabetes Carb and Fat Gram counter in the kitchen. Also Home Advisor is great when you're cooking multiple ingredients in dish and need to find portion carbs.

Posts: 3163 | Location: Michigan and sw Florida | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mama spoon, a word of advice that you can take or leave. Well, maybe a couple. When you are beginning it is easier to do simple meals. What I mean are protein, veggie, starch. It is easier to measure and for your body to adapt to the new eating. After awhile you can do casserole because it is easier to judge naturally.

I would also suggest multiple blood testing, like several times a day. It lets you know how his body (and everyone is different) is handling certain foods at which time of day. Testing one times a day, like many suggest, just does not give you enough information.

Also remember, of all the diseases your husband could have, at least one he has a lot of control over.

posted Hide Post
Metwo,
You are correct in saying to start simply. DH is on insulin 4x day thus 4"sticks" for sugar count. There are no spontaneous meals any longer- everything is carefully planned ahead, even when we go out. And you are so correct, because once things get under control, it's something he can live with. It's all the insidious side affects that have affected him as well that we are trying to manage.

Posts: 3163 | Location: Michigan and sw Florida | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jackierenette
posted Hide Post
Hi Rascal Brat,I am prediabetic.I have gotten off track for a long while now.I know mostly to exercise,take my meds.,watch the soda,sweets and breads,starches.I am now getting back on track.

I will say yes to others comments about just eating healthy.I do understand by you wanting cookbook ect.It makes it easy to look at meals or recipes,at a glance. I mostly go look up recipes on Allrecipes.com,keep list of easy meals/foods listed under breakfast,lunch & supper.I found a page with foods to keep on hand at all times.Funny thing is I have mnay of these foods at my home already.LOL.It's just making a list of meal ideas,and sticking to those ideas & recipes.

I will edit and add the links to several sites I use.
I will say the internet is the best reicipe & menu cookbook out there and FREE....
Here's one:
http://www.diabeticlivingonlin...tag/diabetes-recipes

Posts: 3010 | Location: Liberty, S.C. | Registered: Mar 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Florida Farm Girl:
To the top, to bring a current thread up where it belongs!!

Thanks for doing so, I tried to get as many as I could another day brought back up after shenanigans had been played on this board!

Posts: 2848 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Nov 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. Thank you Jackie, I am doing what you are doing. Have found some good ideas on the internet and have lost 6 lbs this past month. Went to a baby shower today and actually passed on the cupcakes and cookies. Cookies have always been my weakness.

Posts: 310 | Location:  | Registered: Apr 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just eat food that's naturally rich in nutrients and low in fat and calories, with an emphasis on fruits, vegetables and whole grains.

Classic Foods

Posts: 93 | Location: Killeen, Texas | Registered: Jul 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Annon
posted Hide Post
Be very careful of fruit. It's very high in sugar and only recommended in small amounts.

Posts: 3642 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nettiejay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Annon:
Be very careful of fruit. It's very high in sugar and only recommended in small amounts.

My husband has consulted a registered dietician several times since his diagnosis. He wasn't told this. He was only told to strictly limit fruit juice, though. Whole fruits, including all their pulp and fiber, have not been limited.

Posts: 4685 | Location: zone 6b, Missouri | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Annon:

It's a common myth that you shouldn't eat certain foods if you have diabetes.

Classic Foods

Posts: 93 | Location: Killeen, Texas | Registered: Jul 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wannaquilt2
posted Hide Post
Eat to the meter.....your after meal tests will show how different foods affect your blood sugar. Fruit can make it go sky high, some more than others.

Picture of Indexlady
posted Hide Post
quote:
your after meal tests

My CURRENT doc told me to test 2 hours after the meal, as opposed to immediately after.

My PREVIOUS doc said to just test once in the morning.

So, consult your doc to see when it's right for you.

Posts: 4621 | Location: In the beautiful Tennessee Valley, between the Cumberland Plateau and the Great Smoky Mountains. | Registered: Jul 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wannaquilt2
posted Hide Post
I have read that most people's blood sugar "peaks" at the 2 hr. post-meal point.