Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Food & Entertaining
  Made this frozen strawberry pie
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Made this frozen strawberry pie Sign In/Join 
Picture of nance425
posted
This sure hit the spot when it was so hot and humid this past weekend. (Yep, we do get that kind of weather up here) Smile

Frozen strawberry yogurt pie
http://www.tasteofthesouthmaga...ontent.aspx?id=27383

1 c gr cracker crumbs
1 c gr pretzels
2 c sug, divided
½ c butter melted
2.5 c chpd fr strawberries
1 T chpd fr thyme lvs
8 oz pkg crm cheese, softened
16 oz vanilla yogurt
½ c conf sug
8 oz cool whp, thawed

Spray 10” springform pan.
Line the bottom with parchment paper, spray agn.

Combine: gr cracker crumbs, pretzels and 1 c sug
Add butter,
Press into pan.
Plc in frzr while preparing filling
In a food processor: blend strawberries and 1 c sugar and thyme; pulse til smooth
Bowl: crm cheese at H til creamy, abt 3 min
Add yogurt and confections sugar, beat til smooth
Add strberry mix to yogurt mix
Beat to combine
Add whpd topping and beat til smooth
Spoon into crust
Freeze for 4 hrs
Cover with plastic wrap, frz up to 1 week.
Remove from pan,
Garnish with more strawberries and thyme

(pardon my shorthand; I hate reading wordy recipes and sometimes change the format) Smile
Some changes for next time:
- not to process the strawberries to liquid. I would have liked to have tasted some small pieces of strawberries instead. Maybe I could leave a few out and cut those up; puree the rest.
- I didn't use parchment paper, just greased the bottom plate.
- Not sure if I liked the chpd pretzels in the crust. Might stick with all cracker crumbs.
- Also, I forgot to put the sugar in the crumbs not sure it made a difference. Cut down on the calories that's for sure. Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: nance425,

Posts: 4582 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: Dec 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Sounds good!

And yes, DD has said it was hot in Minneapolis!

Martha

Posts: 5400 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
Think I will try this with your modifications, for my sister visit in a couple of weeks.

Thanks a lot!

Posts: 12139 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nance425
posted Hide Post
You're welcome LOS. It makes a lot. Probably about 14 pieces..but the good thing is you can keep it in the freezer for a good month.

If you make it, post back and let me know how you liked it.

Posts: 4582 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: Dec 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Spanish Revival
posted Hide Post
That sounds so good nance425, I'm going to bring this tomorrow night to a dinner at our friends house.
I enjoyed the shorthand! reminds me of little blirp that was on Facebook a while back that started off: You just need to see the first and last letter of a word....The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. ... huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt! if you can raed tihs psas it on !

Posts: 908 | Location: Florida | Registered: Aug 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nance425
posted Hide Post
SR, I've seen the same thing about only needing a coupla letters to be able to read the words. Amazing, isn't it?

Hope you like the pie. We took it out about 30 minutes to defrost before cutting/eating. Helped a lot.

p.s. I also took shorthand in H.S. and can still remember it. Sometimes I have to remind myself, people can't read that when I use it!!! Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: nance425,

Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing, I'm going to save and try soon. Reminds me of my favorite pretzel crusted dessert with strawberry Jell-O.

Posts: 2639 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Nov 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nance425
posted Hide Post
quote:
Reminds me of my favorite pretzel crusted dessert with strawberry Jell-O.

Lurah: We call it pretzel salad - don't know why. It's one of our favorites that has to be made at all family gatherings.

This frozen pie goes a long way...

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Nance, we call that strawberry salad as well.

I'll have to try your pie this summer when the girls come to lunch!

Love the addition of the thyme!

Martha

Posts: 5400 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post