Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

salad bowls Sign In/Join 
posted
Where can I find large individual salad bowls to use when salad is the whole meal?

Posts: 185 | Registered: Jan 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Indexlady
posted Hide Post
It really depends on what you are looking for.

I use serving bowls and platters. I bought them just for this purpose. I bought the number that I can sit comfortably at my table, since this is not a portable food. For me, that was 6.

There are many places, depending on style desired, amount you want to pay.

The dollar stores around here have pretty clear glass serving bowls, for not much. Stores like Burlington Coat Factory, Ross', Marshall's, TJ Maxx, and Home Goods frequently have pretty serving bowls and platters, as well.

I'm talking serving bowls, like the size you might put peas in, and then pass around the table.

I've also used Corning Ware cooking dishes that were just the right size.

You can also simply use the dinner plates you have, but compose it just a bit by arranging an ingredient or two on the edge of the plate. This technique works with both round and square dinner plates.

Posts: 4471 | Location: In the beautiful Tennessee Valley, between the Cumberland Plateau and the Great Smoky Mountains. | Registered: Jul 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nettiejay
posted Hide Post
I use my Corelle serving bowls for individual, main dish salads. You can buy them on an open stock basis at discount stores like K-Mart. I think any serving bowl that's wider and shallower, like the Corelle ones, would serve your purpose.

Posts: 4513 | Location: zone 6b, Missouri | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
When the kids were still dining with us I guess I only ever served Taco or Mexican Salad - I made it in one huge salad bowl and we served ourselves from it onto our dinner plates.
But recently and just very recently I ran into this same problem when I wanted Chef salads for dinner for the 2 of us. I just pulled 2 beige serving bowls from the stack but they didn't match - and that bothers me.
So I am in the same boat you are Janie 101.

Is a wide brimmed low flat soup plate big enough? Not for us either.
But I see lots of restaurants serving pasta dinners in bowls - think Applebee's.

So I probably won't find dinner salad bowls to match all my different everyday dishware, but when I come across some Pfaltzgraf, old Corelle, etc. at a flea market or garage sale, I'll snag some more. I do have dupes in serving bowls of Yorktowne but they're pretty wide.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Lurah,

Posts: 2749 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Nov 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
Would this work?

http://www.amazon.com/Fiesta-2...d=1384484310&sr=1-15

This one might not be big enough.

http://www.amazon.com/Fiesta-S...d=1384484310&sr=1-14

~Like sands through the hourglass
~So are the days of our lives

Posts: 9438 | Registered: Oct 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
I bought a set of oval white bowls at Costco recently. They are working great as bowls for side dishes, soups and salad as the meal. Very similar to this but they were only $15 at Costco. http://ecx.images-amazon.com/i...7n3efML._SL1500_.jpg

If I do a plated dinner salad with grilled chicken or another meat I use our large dinner plates.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Charming,

Fun and Info

Posts: 3508 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
I use our large rimmed soup bowls. It serves a manageable amount and can be refilled as needed.

Posts: 3155 | Location: central PA | Registered: Jan 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
Since I have a vast array of china, I would use either a soup bowl (many come in different sizes) or a dinner plate or a regular salad plate (again different sizes) I would probably not purchase for purpose rather for the pleasing design/color.

Posts: 12587 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post

Posts: 17040 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you so much everyone! I've been looking online and never thought to look at serving bowls.We really put a lot of different things in our salads so need something with an edge.We don.t seem to be neat enough to just use a plate for a main dish salad.

Posts: 185 | Registered: Jan 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nettiejay
posted Hide Post
I agree. I prefer a bowl for tossed salads, as does DH.

Posts: 4513 | Location: zone 6b, Missouri | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bozie
posted Hide Post
We like these plain porcelain "pasta bowls" for meal size salads. Not fancy but then neither are we! Smile

http://www.chefscatalog.com/pr...ls.aspx#BVRRWidgetID

Martha

Posts: 7100 | Location: Montana | Registered: Mar 25, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quiltzilla
posted Hide Post
I have some clear glass bowls we use for salad that are supposed to be serving bowls. Just keep looking around the places already mentioned, plus restaurant supply stores. You'll find something you like.

Posts: 6658 | Registered: Aug 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bozie:
We like these plain porcelain "pasta bowls" for meal size salads. Not fancy but then neither are we! Smile

http://www.chefscatalog.com/pr...ls.aspx#BVRRWidgetID

For our regular dinner salads and until now most soups I have a similar set including the large pasta bowl that I bought from Harry and David years ago. They are all chipped and cracked now, but it is just for the 2 of us.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Charming,

Fun and Info

Posts: 3508 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
I have four bowls similar to those that came from Williams & Sonoma many years ago. They were a gift. I love them for salads and pasta, but DH doesn't. For a side salad, they're too big but just right for a meal. Oh, I like them for soups, too.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6586 | Location: Northwest Florida | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
I have had these for several years, bought at Sam's Club. The serving bowl is really HUGE, so it is just on display at the top of the cupboard.

The salad bowls are between salad and dinner plate size/diameter, and 2 inches deep. Great for whole meal salads or pasta and bread.
http://www.samsclub.com/sams/p...-7-pc/prod1113389.ip

This message has been edited. Last edited by: conrad,

Posts: 9612 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Spanish Revival
posted Hide Post
I use these, they're pie plates but perfect for salads too.

http://www.worldkitchen.com/s/...f-6boCFVFk7Aody00AnQ

Posts: 968 | Location: Florida | Registered: Aug 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Spanish Revival
posted Hide Post
Oh, and I dropped it on our tile floor and it didn't break or chip!

Posts: 968 | Location: Florida | Registered: Aug 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post