Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

October Dinner Sign In/Join 
Picture of trish212
posted Hide Post
This evening, I made a couple of Indian dishes. The main course reminded me of a meal friends from Sri Lanka prepared years ago. All the spices, garam marsala, turmeric, etc. have been in our cabinet. I decided to become brave and use them. It was a successful meal.
I paired the meal with an apple cake dessert. Guess it will be made more often. Smile

Posts: 5241 | Registered: Jan 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
Trish212 - would you have a recipe to share using those spices, mine are wasting away in the spice cabinet longing to be used, I'm sure.

I was at Penzey's the other day, another customer was trying to remember the name of a spice she'd been advised to try at Weight Watchers. As she struggled for the name "graham something" I suggested she might be speaking of garam masala and she agreed that was the one.

Posts: 2858 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Nov 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trish212
posted Hide Post
Lurah, my confidence in cooking Indian dishes came after watching Alamelu Vairavan on the PBS channel. She makes it look sooooo easy! She had one recipe with carrots I wanted to try. And have been sidetracked by many others I've found online.

All Recipes has Indian Carrots, peas, and Potatoes. I followed the recipe for the most part....I didn't have the frozen carrots & peas. So....I used all the spices, threw in the fresh carrots with the onions, adding in the potatoes. I only had the canned peas...and left them out. I served the peas as a side. The carrots and potatoes were fabulous!

(Alamelu said that having your oil hot before adding the spices is the trick. (I like how she puts the seasonings in the oil WHOLE, and has them pop open with the heated oil.))

5 T. veg oil (olive oil - my substitution) 1 onion chopped
1 t chili powder 1 T cumin 1 t turmeric 1 T coriander 1/2 t. salt
6 potatoes diced
1 10 oz. frozen peas and carrots 3 T. water

Using a 2nd recipe.....I added 1 t. honey I couldn't locate our powdered curry and used a 1/2 t. curry paste.

So, I basically combined two different recipes to come up with this dish.

Hope this helps.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: trish212,

Picture of trish212
posted Hide Post
Part 2

Chicken

I used chicken legs....however, I think thighs might have been better.

*Marinate for 2-4 hours prior to cooking.

2 T. chili powder
1/2 t garam marsala
1 t. turmeric
1 inch ginger-grind. (I made thin slices, then minced fine.)
4 cloves garlic - grind. (Again, I minced.)
1 c. plain yogurt
1 1/2 t. lemon juice
salt to flavor
I blended all these items in food processor.

Marinate chicken for 2-4 hours in the refrigerator.

Bake 30-40 min. 375 degrees.

I used a baking dish. My friend's dad used a jelly roll pan.

Lurah, let me know how these turn out for you.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: trish212,

Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing, I will let you know how they turn out, but they sound great going forward.

Posts: 2858 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Nov 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
Putting the finishing touches on Emeril's 4 White Cheeses & Macaroni. Takes 1 & 1/4 pound of cheese that I finely grate in my Mouli - that's the worst part of the prep.

Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
Last night we had homemade chicken and rice soup.

The weather is cool and crisp now...I really need to get to the butcher shop for some good ground beef so that I can make chili. I'll have to place an order early next week.

I made a loaf of cast iron Dutch oven bread this morning.

Just a note on something DD told me...olive oil is not made for high temps. She said it can taste scorched. ??? It's pretty much the same thing I've heard about canola oil.

DD recommends grapeseed oil.

Posts: 17440 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
We're in Italy. Fixed dinner tonight. Pasta ala villa sirens. An ant pasta and wine before dinner bakery pasteries for dessert

Martha

Posts: 6387 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tonight will be beef carnitas (another first time recipe)

Posts: 572 | Registered: Jan 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Okay...is Martha bragging now? Wink

Ummm...oh...I'm the one who wanted her to share her food diary...Big Grin I'll be quiet now.

But how's the "ant pasta"?

Posts: 17440 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is snowing here so I made chili a few days ago and we finished it last night. Tonight it was vegetable beef soup made from left over pot roast, another winter meal.

Posts: 7317 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
Or did she mean antipasta?

posted Hide Post

Picture of Seaborne
posted Hide Post
Baked a ham butt last week - then made scalloped potatoes & ham - and today, I made bean soup with the ham bone.

Seaborne

Posts: 1236 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: Nov 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
DS (5yrs old) has been wanting spaghetti and meatballs so tonight he'll be a happy young man Smile

Picture of CA Lori
posted Hide Post
I made my pizza dough from scratch today for tonight's dinner. It was soooooo good! I froze the second half of the dough for another night's dinner.

Last night, I made Michael Symon's Greek-style Chicken & Rice recipe that was on The Chew a couple of days ago. The rice was delicious, but I used chicken tenders instead of the bone-in, skin-on chicken pieces called for in the recipe and the chicken was too dry.

Posts: 6113 | Location: Calif. | Registered: Sep 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CA Lori:
I made my pizza dough from scratch today for tonight's dinner. It was soooooo good!

I was just telling the hubby that I wish I could make a good pizza. Anything that involves making homemade bread products intimidates me.
Tonight, I'm sauteing onions and adding the leftover carnita beef, putting it on a steak roll, and melting chesse on it in the oven. Serving with fries to put a smile on the the youngest DS (4yrs old) face.

posted Hide Post
mountainbeach
Don't let it intimidate you! It's just a recipe. Follow the instructions. Set the timer for resting, rising, and baking times.
Have butter on the counter warming to room temperature and a serrated bread knife for slicing the bread. Wink

This is an EASY no-knead recipe:
http://keepyouinstitches.blogs...h/label/Easy%20Bread

Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
Since I'm leaving town tomorrow, I figured DH would appreciate a decent meal tonight. We had pork tenderloin, stewed apples and steamed sugar snap peas. Dessert will be half of a thing from the local food co-op. Don't know what you call it, but its good!

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6854 | Location: north Georgia mountains  | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
We had a private tasting at the mastrobeardino winery yesterday. Dinner was served there. Soup with mussels and other seafood. More "ant pasta
and a dish with occtupus. And wine. Lots and lots of wine. 12 different bottles

We didn't finish every bottle but did have a half glass from each

Martha

Posts: 6387 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Martha, Glad you are enjoying that ant pasta. Wink
1/2 glass of 12 different wines?! Someone would have to carry me out...or just cover me with a blanket after I slid under the table. Wink

posted Hide Post
DH is out of town. I had a cup of lima beans and ham. Then made some caramel popcorn for DH. I QC'd (quality control) entirely too much of the stuff. Thank goodness I was on the run today at lunch and just had an Atkins drink. Tomorrow a BIG spinach salad is on the lunch menu!!

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
We've been having big lunches and ant pasta for dinner

Today I had homemade gnocchi with pesto.

Oh and the best pastry for mid,owning coffee

Martha

posted Hide Post
GNOCCHI!!! I keep planning on trying to make it myself.

Be sure to get us a recipe for that an pasta!!

Picture of CA Lori
posted Hide Post
Recently, Michael Symon (The Chew) made a Spaetzle with Cabbage dish. I think I'm going to try making that one. Looked easy enough.

I have never eaten Gnocchi. Maybe I'm missing something!

Posts: 6113 | Location: Calif. | Registered: Sep 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can make spaetzle. I really like it. DH does not.

We had spicy hamburger and rice.
Steamed broccoli with parmesan shredded on top.
Last of the homemade Dutch oven bread.

posted Hide Post
I made this tonight http://www.pinterest.com/pin/49258189648025070 I didn't like it, not enough flavor for me. It's disappointing to make something and it not be good. Hubby enjoyed it, but he doesn't usually complain about much I cook.

posted Hide Post
mountainbeach, just add more seasonings! A sprinkle of red pepper flakes would spice that up.

Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
Pork tenderloin with apples & onions, rice medley with Craisins and almonds, acorn squash.

I made a batch of truffles today - about a 100 of them, rolled some in ground chocolate and the rest in a Euro cocoa powder. Turned out nice but next time will tweak the process a bit.

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Oh Purana. I adore truffles. Prefer mine rolled kn cocoa because the look more like the real deal. Lunch was in a farmhouse in the hills above sorrento. Almost all if the food from the ptopery

Ant pasts -- fran mozarella tomatoes thinly sliced fresh Basil pickled eggplant pumpkin cooked and served j. Vjnsigrette and some rex csbbage

Primi - pasts stuffed with pumpkin and orovolone

Secondi - rabbit braised with vegetables and pitatoes

Solve - tiramisu and lrmoncello

Dinnner tonight. Chhese and s glass if wine

Martha

posted Hide Post
CJO, a breakfast casserole is good for company breakfasts. Can be microwaved for later risers. There are many versions. Let me know if you want me to post mine.

Tonight we will be having a chicken casserole. Ds likes rice with it. Also broccoli for vegetable.

During the summer don't like to heat up the oven, but since it is much cooler----yesterday was downright cold to me. Going to be nice this coming week.

Spaghetti will also be on the menu soon.

Strings

Friends divide our sorrows and multiply our joys.

Posts: 6400 | Registered: Sep 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Lurah. I was using a phone and it seemed to have a mind of its own. Sorry

Picture of Spanish Revival
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Linderhof:
Lurah. I was using a phone and it seemed to have a mind of its own. Sorry

Your phone has a sense of humor Martha!!

Posts: 1028 | Location: Florida | Registered: Aug 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Only at times when I would rather it wouldn't

Martha

posted Hide Post
Zuppa Tuscana - minus the kale because I forgot to buy any...

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
I almost had that the day befor. Just a bowl of soup sounded good

Martha

posted Hide Post
Cheeseburger soup and french bread tonight for us.

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
We Ste at a restaurant called m e a t I n g. Had shards of p a r m and walnuts to start. Piazza dough stuffed with cheese. An Italian fillet with bbaked potatoes and grilled vegetables. Panna c o t t a tot dessert. Complimentary limoncello and biscotyi to end

Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
Old fashioned chili with peanut butter sandwiches, a nice relish tray and doughnuts for dessert.

posted Hide Post
I fried some chicken drumsticks for dinner tonight and had mashed potatoes, salad, and mandarin oranges. Then I went to the garage fridge and noticed dh had two large packages of drumsticks so I cooked one of those (pan) with a can of cream of chicken soup. I ran out of energy to do the second large package so will do that one tomorrow. Maybe I will add some tomato sauce and try to put an Italian spin on those.

Posts: 6090 | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
LURAH. Chili is our traditional Halloween meal

Last night even though I thought I could never eat again after that lunch I did manage btusvhetta and s big howl of mussels. $9 for the meal

Martha

posted Hide Post
Martha! Auto correct is really messing up. I LOVE the big "howl" of mussels. Appropriate for Halloween eve. LOL

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
I think my phone was overtaken with gremlins. Howl, indeed!

Martha

posted Hide Post
Until Martha mentioned it, I had not realized that we had a traditional Halloween meal, but thinking about it we usually have chili or soup.

Does anyone else have a traditional Halloween meal?

Posts: 7317 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
DD invited herself to dinner tonight, she even gave me the menu she wanted prepared, lol. Tonight will be roast beef with vegetables, noodles, gravy, and peanut butter pie.