Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Food & Entertaining
  September Dinner
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

September Dinner Sign In/Join 
Picture of Linderhof
posted
It's September -- so what's for dinner this month?

We had a lot of tasty things to eat last month!

Martha

Posts: 5948 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
This evening I'm fixing peppered bacon wrapped beef tenderloins, twice baked potatoes, corn on the cob, wedge salad, fresh baguettes and double chocolate genoise with ganache (long time since I'd made this.) Having guests over.

Posts: 2758 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Nov 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Seaborne
posted Hide Post
Grilled flank steak, fresh corn on the cob, rice pilauf, fresh home-grown cherry tomatoes, local fresh peaches

Seaborne

Posts: 1139 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: Nov 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
SIL smoked brisket yesterday. It was fantastic. Brisket, baked beans, fresh corn salad and my grandmother's Dutch peach pie for dessert -- the only recipe I don't give out. (Actually, I'm not sure if it has ever been written down!) And as many cookbooks as I've read, I've found a similar recipe only twice.

Martha

Posts: 5948 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
Martha, If no one else in the family has it, you need to write it down and put it with your will. Wink The recipe should not be lost.

Posts: 17097 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Spanish Revival
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Linderhof:
SIL smoked brisket yesterday. It was fantastic. Brisket, baked beans, fresh corn salad and my grandmother's Dutch peach pie for dessert -- the only recipe I don't give out. (Actually, I'm not sure if it has ever been written down!) And as many cookbooks as I've read, I've found a similar recipe only twice.

Martha

And in what cookbooks would those be? Wink. On a serious note, I couldn't agree more with KYIS, so many great recipes were buried along with both my grandmas b/c no one thought to ask for them, write them down and make sure Sarah keeps them for her family!

Posts: 976 | Location: Florida | Registered: Aug 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
Last night; oven roasted new potatoes, small pasta shells with butter, (because they love pasta and I was afraid of being short on the potatoes) broiled haddock (decided not to try out my new pan) and corn on the cob in my new plates for that.

Later, store bought choc cake with choc ripple ice cream

Oh, came back to say; also Linderhof's grandmother's cole slaw which they loved!

Family still here.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: lady of shallot,

Posts: 12665 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
LOS. Glad your family liked the coleslaw.

Everyone. The recipe IS written down. We just don't give it out

Marths

Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
We had grilled chicken, potato salad and corn on the cob.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6612 | Location: north Georgia mountains  | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lunch at Red Lobster. Not my favorite place but I did not voice a choice because of trying to figure out where to eat and what I could eat because of my diet. Salad with shrimp - nothing to write home about...iceberg lettuce with a sprinkle of half ripe tomatoes, cucumber, waved the dressing over it Frown. Gumbo served in a hollowed out small round bread - did not eat the bread. ONE biscuit. Online their nutrition counter said the salad was 260 calories...I cut that to 100 calories since you needed a magnifying glass to find the shrimp and I did not use dressing. I KNOW that there was not a full cup of gumbo in the bread...the biscuit was 130 calories...and delicious!

Tonight was pork steak, spinach salad with half a boiled egg, and fresh strawberries for dessert.

Posts: 17097 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Sherry -- I find the simpler the food eating out the fewer calories -- including "spiced" food (i.e. blackened chicken becasue all of that "stuff" has calories!!! I think you did real well!

We ate out last night -- went to the racetrack yesterday afternoon to see SIL's horse run (he didn't win) and he and DD decided that we should eat out. A favorite NY pizza place of theirs. We got the HUGE pizza and only had one piece to take home! I guess we were all hungry!

Today and tonight -- lunch and dinner -- will be hotdogs -- on the road for 8 hours! Not sure if we will "junk" on the way home or drive straight through.

Martha

posted Hide Post
Roast chicken with CRISPY skin! YEAH!!!
Spinach sautéed with garlic
Rice
Buttermilk gravy

Of course I had a small serving of rice with just a small spoonful of gravy. DH had seconds!

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
An easy dinner tonight -- KC strip, oven roasted new potatoes with rosemary, and a kale/broccoli coleslaw.

Martha

Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
Linderhof - so is your Dutch peach pie with a crumbly top crust or a cream custard pie?

Posts: 2758 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Nov 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Lurah, actually it is neither.

Martha

posted Hide Post
Leftover roast chicken
rice and gravy for husband

FRESH boiled okra! I waved the butter over my serving and gave husband an extra pat of butter for his serving. OH MY GOODNESS! I could have made a meal off the okra!

Strawberries for dessert. Husband dipped his in sugar.

Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
Our first fresh Caprese salad of the season.
Been waiting for those tomatoes all year. Yum.

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
I did a class at a venue about an hour away -- The Herbal Pantry and a Luncheon from that Herbal Pantry -- I served: carrot, chive, dried cranberry salad with a lavender honey vinaigrette; lettuce salad with Farmer's zMarket cherry tomatoes and a Purple Ruffles Basil vinaigrette; pasta with pesto; garlic chive biscuits served with chive butter, tarragon butter and peach rosemary jam and a basil blueberry jam cake with a basil cinnamon frosting.

Dinner tonight was easy -- pasta with some more of those Farmer's Market cherry tomatoes and garden basil. Fresh peached with a shower of sugar and a pour of cream for dessert.

Martha

posted Hide Post
Babysitting tonight! Love my two grandsons - this is our first babysitting adventure. One will be three in November the other is 1 1/2 years old. You KNOW we love them since we drove two hours just to be able to babysit them. Smile

I cooked (packaged organic) mac n cheese, steamed broccoli, chicken brats. Husband ate mac n cheese. I ate mac n cheese and broccoli. The kids ate everything. Husband and I do not like the texture of chicken sausages at all. The kids had grapes, apple chunks, and blueberries for dessert. Husband and I split a cookie...then he also had a slice of oatmeal cake.

posted Hide Post
Pasta shells with butter, spaghetti sauce, tortilla chips w/american cheese and that mango/grape salsa from the salsa thread. Buttered english muffin, cheese and ham slices, sliced tomatoes, grapes, and pears.

Posts: 6086 | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
Last night the first of the season cucumbers & onions vinaigrette with pan fried chicken, mashed potatoes & gravy, corn on the cob.

Brunch today was Gruyere cheese souffle with fresh fruit melange. Heavenly!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Lurah,

Picture of Seaborne
posted Hide Post
Grilled baby lamb chops, grilled tomatoes and mushrooms, mashed potatoes, fresh blue lake green beans from our garden.

Seaborne

Posts: 1139 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: Nov 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lurah:
Last night the first of the season cucumbers & onions vinaigrette with pan fried chicken, mashed potatoes & gravy, corn on the cob.

Brunch today was Gryere cheese souffle with fresh fruit melange. Heavenly!

Oh, that dinner sounds so good, Lurah!

posted Hide Post
We went crabbing today and caught some beautiful LARGE Blue Crabs. Usually I would do a crab boil but this time I baked them with lots of garlic, breadcrumbs and butter. With that we had fresh corn on the cob and mango and lychee salad. Enough crab left over to make crab cakes for tomorrows dinner! Anyone have a good crab cake recipe?

Posts: 976 | Location: Florida | Registered: Aug 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
For Sunday Lunch, we went to the Catholic Church for BBQ -- a fundraiser.

Dinner, therefore, needed to be light -- a BT (WE NEVER do the "L") sandwich made a fine dinner -- soon tomato season will be over! Sigh!

Martha

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KeepYouInStitches:
Babysitting tonight! Love my two grandsons - this is our first babysitting adventure. One will be three in November the other is 1 1/2 years old. You KNOW we love them since we drove two hours just to be able to babysit them. Smile

I cooked (packaged organic) mac n cheese, steamed broccoli, chicken brats. Husband ate mac n cheese. I ate mac n cheese and broccoli. The kids ate everything. Husband and I do not like the texture of chicken sausages at all. The kids had grapes, apple chunks, and blueberries for dessert. Husband and I split a cookie...then he also had a slice of oatmeal cake.

Gosh, KYIS, if you don't mind riving a bit farther, you can babysit my kids any time!

posted Hide Post
Charcoalsmom Big Grin I love kids so would do it! I will be solo though as DH has to be emotionally invested before he volunteers such as that. Wink

Sunday dinner there was composed of:
boiled shrimp
grilled ribeyes
grilled corn on the cob
fried cabbage
potato salad
homemade bread
oatmeal cake with broiler icing
pecan pie

By the time I got through the line all the medium steaks were gone...only rare and one burnt well-done left so I ate shrimp, cabbage, potato salad, bread. I had my ' square of oatmeal' for breakfast...hey...it's breakfast food! LOL Grandson was at the table...I was at the bar...he still spotted the cake. and came running. I had a "pinch" on the fork, then thought..."Go eat a spoonful of cheerios and I'll give you a bite." Son and husband fussed at me...cake on the fork headed to his open mouth and you pull it back. So..."Colt, come get a bite. Good. Now go eat a spoon of cheerios." Smart little boy said, "Come sit." LOL So we shared my cake and he ate his cereal.

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
We had roasted chicken thights with thyme, olive oil and salt and pepper, individual casseroles of Wyatt's Baked Eggplant Casserole, and halves of cherry tomatoes marinated in basil vinegar and olive oil with salt and pepper. Oh, and we weren't all that good -- Another Dutch Peach pie for dessert!

Martha

Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
I had a meeting tonight, so ate fast food while I was on the road.
Instead I spent the afternoon making bars - basically double batch each of Chocolate Dump bars and Apple Pie Pastry. Both turned out great but I didn't get to sample them as they are for a fund raiser event in a couple days.

posted Hide Post
Grilled Swiss and pastrami on rye with potato chips. Neither of us were very hungry so we shared a sandwich - gave husband the larger portion.

It was good!

posted Hide Post
I've got a hot & spicy roast in the crockpot for dinner tonight. We'll also have mashed potatoes with it. No idea what else, or even if there'll be anything else with it. We don't do desserts much around here (much to my dismay).

Posts: 6612 | Location: north Georgia mountains  | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
I made chicken thighs with penne pasta (A Pioneer Woman recipe) which was quite good. We started with a salad and ended with peach cobbler with ice cream.

Martha

posted Hide Post
No desserts at my house either. Frown DH settles for store bought pecan sandies. If I "need" a sweet, I eat yogurt.

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
It's cooler so we ate outside -- we had fresh pizza -- DH cooked it on the grill -- fresh tomatoes, basil and fresh mozzarella. The last of the peaches for dessert -- also grilled and filled with honey and marscapone.

Martha

posted Hide Post
Since we were in Europe for 2 weeks, we ate a LOT of meat. So when we got home we made a concerted effort to stay away from anything "red". Tonight! I made turkey sausages which I've made many times. I wanted to do something different so, I sauteed them in my cast iron pan, just a little bit so they had some color, added chopped potato, onion and garlic, and sauerkraut, sauteed more, ... then put some chicken broth in and stuck it in the oven for about 30 minutes so the potato would cook through... OMGosh, this was the WORST dinner I have made in a very long time, it was pretty awful!!!, as in "don't do this at home!!". Doesn't it sound like all those ingredients would go together?? Anyway, they didn't!

Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
Are you a regular for turkey sausages or was this the culprit? I thought it sounded good going together and was surprised by your end result. But I've never done chicken or turkey sausages, yet.

Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
Made a huge Yankee pot roast with onions, carrots and potatoes and the rest for planned overs which will be hot beef sandwiches, nachos, Shepherd's Pie, pot pies, BBQ beef sandwiches and if there is still some left - beef salad sandwiches.

posted Hide Post
Spanish, it sounded good until you said you put all that stuff in with the sausage again! The fried potatoes, onions and peppers on the side would have been good. I'm not personally a fan of the sourkraut, so that's your call.

I like to make sausages from ground turkey. I make them up, give them a quick brown in the grill pan on the top of the stove and then stick them in the oven to finish. They're a good thing to have one hand for a quick pop into the microwave. Good for breakfast or any other meal. In fact, I need to do this. Haven't had them in a while. Thanks for the reminder!

posted Hide Post
Lurah, yes, I use turkey sausages a lot, we like them! And FFG, we like the sauerkraut, but obviously not in this application! I have to laugh because as I was cooking this I said to my husband, I either invented something really good or a disaster! Needless to say it was the latter, into the trash it went! My husband said he liked it, but then again he never complains about what I make.

posted Hide Post
Spanish - I think either - or. Either cook the sausage with the potatoes, onions and peppers. OR with the sauerkraut.

When I do beef and/or pork sausage (we just don't like poultry sausage of any sort) with potatoes, I start the potatoes and onions first in a bit of oil then when the potatoes are about half cooked or better I add the sausage.

DH will eat sauerkraut about once a year so in between times, I fry cabbage and then put sausage in with it. (It's really steamed cabbage with bacon grease in it.)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: KeepYouInStitches,

posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by KeepYouInStitches:
Spanish - I think either - or. Either cook the sausage with the potatoes, onions and peppers. OR with the sauerkraut.

When I do beef and/or pork sausage (we just don't like poultry sausage of any sort) with potatoes, I start the potatoes and onions first in a bit of oil then when the potatoes are about half cooked or better I add the sausage.

DH will eat sauerkraut about once a year so in between times, I fry cabbage and when put sausage in with it. (It's really steamed cabbage with bacon grease in it.)[/QUOTE

I think you're right KYIS, I should have cooked the potatoes and onion (didn't have peppers), then add the sausage. Thing is, we love pork, sauerkraut and potato together so I thought this would be a good substitute. The sauerkraut when it's cooked and combined with other flavors and gets that brown color... ummm, is so good. I know sauerkraut isn't for everyone, just out of the bag I'm not that crazy about it either, but put it in a pan and place a pork roast on top and roast it, that's so good!

BTW KYIS, the other day you mentioned boiling okra, do you just boil it? in salted water? I have some in the fridge now that I want to use. Also, the frying cabbage, you steam and drizzle with bacon grease?

Picture of CA Lori
posted Hide Post
I used to make baked spareribs over sauerkraut. It was delicious. Maybe when the weather cools down, I'll make that again for dinner. I'm getting bored with my usual menus. The trouble is, the older I get, the lazier I get.

My favorite go-to for a quickie dinner is Kinder's mild sausages with sauerkraut over mashed potatoes.

Posts: 5991 | Location: Calif. | Registered: Sep 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Lori -- sauerkraut and spareribs -- fare of my childhood -- always served with mashed potatoes! I'll have to do that again this fall/winter -- we haven't had it in a long time . . .

And when we ate it, we always patted our our potatoes and put the sauerkraut on top with some of the juice!

It was the BEST!

Martha

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Nice that it's cooler -- we ate dinner in the garden -- Ina's eggplant gratin, a salad with balsamic vinaigrette, and Peach Melba for dessert.

Martha

posted Hide Post
quote:
BTW KYIS, the other day you mentioned boiling okra, do you just boil it? in salted water? I have some in the fridge now that I want to use. Also, the frying cabbage, you steam and drizzle with bacon grease?

Boiled okra: You want young tender okra...not much over 3" in length. Cover with water about an inch over the top. Simmer with salt in the water. If you boil it, the pods will pop open. When they are done...15-20 minutes or so...drain, butter and pepper.

Fried cabbage: Fry some bacon to crispy...2-4 slices for 1/4-1/2 decent size head of cabbage. More bacon for more cabbage. Remove from pan. If it looks like too much bacon grease, pour some off. Wash, quarter, core cabbage. I then half/third each quarter lengthwise, then chop maybe about 2" apart up the length. Toss in the bacon grease. Salt and pepper. Turn as low as possible and cover with a lid. Cook until your degree of doneness. Pour into serving bowl. Crumble bacon over top.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: KeepYouInStitches,

posted Hide Post
Thanks KYIS!

Oh yes, a favorite of ours too Linderhof, boiled spareribs and sauerkraut with mashed potatoes!, he@venly!

posted Hide Post
I also do fried cabbage .After cleaning, coring I just chop it up. Put in frying pan with sliced onions and can mushrooms pieces little water and bacon grease (that I save for seasoning) cover and cook. Stir every so often until hot and done.

Be happy Be safe

Posts: 1062 | Location: east coast | Registered: Apr 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
After spending most of the day at the Symbols of Sacrifice event at our Fort, I did an easy dinner -- smoked ribs from the supermarket (they smoke them out front about once a month), fresh corn on the cob and Brookfield coleslaw.

Martha

Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
Gazpacho and paninni grilled 4 cheese sandwiches with Dijonnaise.

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
It was Sunday Lunch out so dinner was light -- a bacon and tomato sandwich -- soon they'll be gone and we'll have to wait until next summer to get one!

Martha