Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Food & Entertaining
  Do you remember Franco-American Spaghetti?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you remember Franco-American Spaghetti? Sign In/Join 
Picture of CA Lori
posted
I did a google search and learned that Campbell's bought it. What a shame! What was once a good product has now deteriorated into a mushy-not-so-good-tasting mess.

I used to always serve it with an omelet-type recipe that mom always used to make. It was my comfort food and a go-to for those days when I didn't have time or know what to fix for dinner.

I even left some on my plate last night, which is something that never happened with F-A spaghetti.

Posts: 5880 | Location: Calif. | Registered: Sep 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of still tryin
posted Hide Post
I remember Franco-American SpaghettiOs. Campbell Soup has owned the Franco-American company since 1915. They changed the name from Franco-American to Campbell's because they thought there was better name recognition with Campbell's. This a link to an article from USAToday from 2004 titled, "Uh-oh! SpaghettiOs switches brands"

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com...hettios_x.htm?csp=34

You can contact Campbell Soup Company and send them feedback about your dissatisfaction with the new version. Here is a link to their contact page. -

http://www.campbellsoupcompany.com/ContactUs.aspx

Posts: 2641 | Registered: Jan 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fun thread ~ thanks for posting, CA Lori! Smile

I certainly DO remember Franco-American Spaghetti and my initial response (after many years of not tasting it - probably 20) was yuck! Yuck

Had no idea it was still being made or that it had been sold. Or that it has its own fans! I just remember it as pasta with some sort of watered down "ketchup" sauce ... again, Yuck

But I can understand that many might fondly recall it as a comfort food from years ago so glad for those who do like it that it's still available. Cool

Posts: 6487 | Registered: Jan 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
I remember it too...but also remember not eating over once or twice. There's just something about canned pasta. I fed DS Chef Boyardee...I know...I was a bad mother.

Posts: 16466 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
I've never bought any of their spaghetti and can't remember if my mother who would sometimes buy into the commercials and think she needed to try "new" products Wink ever did.

I remember she bought the canned ravioli - once. I was probably in my 30's before I ever tried ravioli again! And I still prefer a cheese or veggie filling not meat.

Posts: 3395 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of flboy
posted Hide Post
My Mother was a great cook and never served that or had it in the house. I had friends who had to make that for their siblings because Mom was working. I was talking about the ad ANTHONY the other night and how I loved that ad. When we went to Italy we went to the area where the Pope has his summer residence and it looked just like that ad. Loved it!

html

Posts: 2414 | Location: Sarasota | Registered: Jan 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of still tryin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flboy:
My Mother was a great cook and never served that or had it in the house. I had friends who had to make that for their siblings because Mom was working. I was talking about the ad ANTHONY the other night and how I loved that ad. When we went to Italy we went to the area where the Pope has his summer residence and it looked just like that ad. Loved it!

I don't remember that commercial but you made the scenery sound so appealing I decided to Google the commercial. Is it the one where the mother shouts out the window, "Anthony, Anthony"? This is a link to the commercial - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TP0dy3qvl6g

Posts: 2641 | Registered: Jan 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately, I do: the world's worst stuff. Tried it once, at a friend's home growing up, and never, ever again. My mom wouldn't dream of having this at our house.

Heresy to those who love real Italian food.

Don't get me startedSmile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: aychihuahua,

Posts: 5163 | Registered: Jul 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kathy_in_wlsv
posted Hide Post
I ate both, very occasionally as a child. I always preferred Chef Boyardi stuff.

My kids will once in a while eat Chef's Ravioli.. yeah bad mom here too.

My little girl will eat any of my home made Italian food, little guy apparently libves on air so he won't even try it.

The canned stuff is pretty bad, I'll agree..

Life is GOOD!!

Posts: 1508 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: Nov 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
I guess it is a difference of generation. My mother was an excellent cook but she grew up during the Depression and being a "modern" 20th century woman she would buy all these new to her products as a treat for us. A couple of other disasters - Wonder Bread and Snickerdoodles. We were also of the generation that thought pizza came from an all in one box and the same for Chinese food. Big Grin

Posts: 3395 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
My parents were born before the Depression and came of age during it. Their families had little means, but living in Brooklyn in the 30s and 40s, they had access to fresh produce from farm stands, chickens and pork from local butchers and also fresh-caught seafood. They lived in a very diverse immigrant neighborhood where folks had tiny vegetable gardens in the back of their apartment courtyards; some even grew fig trees! And, there were lovely small ethnic shops and bakeries where they could find inexpensive goodies.

So, even though they didn't have a lot of money, they learned to cook and eat well. Sure, when new-fangled products came on the market, my mom would indulge us. But, she drew the line at some things. Smile

Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
I don't remember who gave it to me...but where ever I was, maybe a friends, I remember I HAD to eat it. YUCK!
Gave my son Chef once...that was all for that too!
I did used to love the Chef canned spaghetti sauce as sort of a base to add all my goodies too. Don't do that any more either.

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4305 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CA Lori
posted Hide Post
This is too funny. I feel like a food low-life! LOL LOL. I thought everbody liked Spaghetti-Os.

Honest, I really do have a pretty educated palate. I can't abide any of the bottled Italian spaghetti sauces sold in the stores (Prego, Ragu, etc.) I make my own sauce that is just about as good as any served in an Italian restaurant.

In my defense, the only thing I have ever eaten FA spaghetti with is the 30-minute egg concoction that my mother used to make (I call it an omelet for lack of a better word). And I have to say that my picky DH always liked this combo, too.

Now I'm going to have to figure out something else to serve it with on those last-minute dinner nights. It will probably be the canned fried potatoes that he will sometimes cook when he needs a side dish to go with a "doggy bag" that he has brought home from his last meal out.

Posts: 5880 | Location: Calif. | Registered: Sep 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of flboy
posted Hide Post
Stlltryin, That is the commercial, and it was very popular in my younger days. That area of Italy was so pretty with the lake and all small shops on the walk beside the lake. Up the hill was where "Anthony" lived in my mind. The courtyard and the ladies knitting on benches and speaking only Italian. All small stores along that courtyard to shop in as well. The buildings surrounding the courtyard were all 3 deckers as we called them in my day. This area was very tourist friendly too.

html

Posts: 2414 | Location: Sarasota | Registered: Jan 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of flboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Stlltryin, That is the commercial, and it was very popular in my younger days. That area of Italy was so pretty with the lake and all small shops on the walk beside the lake. Up the hill was where "Anthony" lived in my mind. The courtyard and the ladies knitting on benches and speaking only Italian. All small stores along that courtyard to shop in as well. The buildings surrounding the courtyard were all 3 deckers as we called them in my day. This area was very tourist friendly too. I just watched it again and we were from Boston, so that must be another reason why I loved it. Thanks for the memory. Anthony must be in his fifties now!

html

Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
CA Lori -- try Wolfgang Puck's jarred sauces. I found them this past summer in Vermont and really liked them. Haven't found them here at home yet.

Prepared foods are getting more and more appealing to me these days, as I really don't enjoy cooking every day any more. Easy, quick and last minute, cause I don't want to spend the whole day thinking about what I'm cooking!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Florida Farm Girl,

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6200 | Location: Northwest Florida | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
quote:
Stlltryin, That is the commercial, and it was very popular in my younger days.

Sorry to throw cold water on this discussion, but the Anthony ad was for Prince Spaghetti. I looked it up because I knew it was not for Franco-American, but couldn't remember the name of the product. http://www.boston.com/news/loc..._globe_photodav.html

posted Hide Post
Since I've never liked cooked tomato sauce, I was spared canned spaghetti, ravioli, etc.

Posts: 1721 | Registered: Aug 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
Our kids all loved Spaghettios as toddlers and I always kept a can or two on hand for quick lunches. As they got older the cans got bigger!

Posts: 2639 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Nov 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My mom used to give us spaghetti Os. Gosh, I think I remember the jingle, too. "The neat little (can't remember) you can eat with a spoon. Uh, oh, spaghettios."

Posts: 6052 | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
I was never fed spaghetti-os as a child, but as an adult, about once a year or so, I get in the mood for them. I like to eat them cold, right out of the can.

Posts: 7075 | Registered: Apr 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Absolutely remember, and I miss their spaghetti and meatballs. I always liked them better than Chef Boy R Dee. Idiots at Campbells Soup Company!

Posts: 1 | Registered: Mar 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Spanish Revival
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Charcoalsmom:
My mom used to give us spaghetti Os. Gosh, I think I remember the jingle, too. "The neat little (can't remember) you can eat with a spoon. Uh, oh, spaghettios."

"Spaghetti" Wink

Posts: 908 | Location: Florida | Registered: Aug 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Spanish Revival
posted Hide Post
Since we're all 'fessing up here, I have to say, my Mom never made this, she and my father couldn't afford to buy something in a can for 7 kids and 2 adults, it was cheaper to make everything from scratch so that's what she did. When I got married, had a little more money... I discovered spaghetti in a can... tried both the Franco American and Chef Boyardee.... I have to admit, there are certain times in my life where I like to look into the pantry (when I'm all by myselfWink) and see something that just fulfills a certain appetite, and,... well.... sometimes that's Chef Boyardee Ravioli with meat... microwaveable, so, in 1 minute and 15 seconds in the micro, I have my instant gratification. Not everyday my palette requires a sophisticated taste, TG!!

Posts: 908 | Location: Florida | Registered: Aug 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post

Posts: 16466 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of joyluck
posted Hide Post
My DM was a good cook and used very few prepared foods so I never had any type of canned pasta until after I was married. I bought some Chef Boyardee Ravioli as something different for lunch for my one year old and he refused to eat it and so did the dogs! So it has never again been on my grocery list!

CA Lori, we all have some non-gourmet comfort foods we indulge in. One of mine is canned tomatoes combined with cooked macaroni. I loved that as a child and still occasionally have it for lunch. I do add some Italian herbs now but even so it cannot be called a sophisticated or overly healthy lunch! LOL Strictly comfort food.

Lucky

"I have always had an aversion to the concepts of in style and out of style." ~Rose Tarlow

Inspirational pics: http://inspiration4u.shutterfly.com/

Posts: 12587 | Location: north of 50 in Canada | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had to smile... I think both of my girls posed for that same picture... and they loved it.Their plastic bibs were never the same after those meals.

Posts: 4454 | Location: Texas | Registered: Mar 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CA Lori
posted Hide Post
joyluck, I have a similar comfort food to yours. My mom always used to brown some hamburger and onions and added it to cooked spaghetti noodles and stirred in a 28-oz can of whole tomatoes that have been cut up with a knife and fork. You cover it and simmer it on low for about 25-30 mins.

Luckily DH likes it, too, so I have it about once every 3 mos. or so. With it being so quick and easy to fix and only needing 4 ingredients, which I always have on hand, this meal comes in handy. Oh, there's one more ingredient . . . I have to sprinkle a generous amount of salt when I put it on my plate. I have the same salt requirement on my popcorn, sliced tomatoes, and corn on the cob.