Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Food & Entertaining
  Apples, Apples, and More Apples
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Apples, Apples, and More Apples Sign In/Join 
Picture of Charming
posted
DH spent the weekend in Gatlinburg TN and brought home a lot of apples. I need suggestions on recipes I can freeze.

He also brought home some apple hand pies, a lot of apple hand pies, I will be freezing them also.

Fun and Info

Posts: 3586 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
Apple cake. I make mine out of pears. My recipe calls for a tube pan, but I make them in two loaves instead...wrap and freeze.

Apple Cake
2 cups Sugar
1 cup Butter
4 large Eggs
2 teaspoons Vanilla
3 cups Flour, sifted
1 1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
1 teaspoon Allspice
1/2 teaspoon Nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1 1/2 teaspoon Soda
3/4 cup Buttermilk
1 cup fresh Apples, finely chopped
1/2 cup Pecans, chopped

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Cream butter and sugar. Add
eggs, one at a time. Add vanilla. Mix well. Sift flour, spices,
salt, soda, and add alternately with buttermilk. Fold in apples
and pecans. Blend well. Pour into a 10 inch tube pan that has
been greased and dusted with flour. Bake 1 hour and 20
minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into center comes out
clean. DO NOT overbake. Remove from pan.

However, I use pears because I have always had access to free pears. If you bake in loaf pans, it still takes about the full time.

Posts: 17253 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Chocolate Pear Cake

2 1/4 cups Flour, unsifted
2 cups Sugar
2/3 cup Cocoa, unsweetened
1 1/2 teaspoon Soda
1/2 teaspoon Baking powder
1 teaspoon Cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon Salt
3 Eggs
1 cup Oil
1 cup Buttermilk
2 teaspoons Vanilla
2 cups tart Apples, shredded
1 cup Nuts, chopped

Combine flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder,
cinnamon, and salt in a mixing bowl; set aside. Combine eggs,
oil, buttermilk, and vanilla in large mixer bowl. Beat on low
speed until blended. Gradually add dry ingredients; stir in
apples and nuts until evenly mixed. Pour into greased and
floured tube pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 60 to 65 minutes or
until cake tester inserted in center comes clean. Cool 10
minutes. Remove from pan; cool completely. Drizzle with
Chocolate Glaze.

Chocolate Glaze
2 tablespoons Butter
2 tablespoons unsweetened Cocoa
1 cup Powdered Sugar
1/2 teaspoon Vanilla
2 tablespoons Water

Melt butter in small saucepan over low heat; add unsweetened
cocoa and water, stirring constantly until mixture thickens. Do
not boil. Remove from heat. Gradually beat in powdered sugar
and vanilla until smooth and of glazing consistency. Add
additional water, 1/2 teaspoon at a time, if needed.

Posts: 17253 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We got a bumper crop of apples this year. My DH ate so many apples one day while he was picking them that he ended up in the hospital with an obstruction in his small intestine and had to have surgery. He is now recovering. I told him to eat just applesauce from now on.

Posts: 514 | Registered: Dec 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
How about apple butter. I make a batch and freeze in small plastic containers.

Posts: 3226 | Location: central PA | Registered: Jan 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
Thanks Sherry and Grapefruit.

Sherry, The apple cake sounds yummy!
Grapefruit, we love love love homemade apple butter. DH brought some home from the Apple Farm. Can you share your recipe? I've seen recipes for crock pot apple butter but have never made it.

Valetta, How terrible! I hope he has recovered.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Charming,

Fun and Info

Posts: 3586 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wannaquilt2
posted Hide Post
I found a wonderful homemade applesauce recipe on the Internet. And it freezes well too. I'll need to post tomorrow as we are leaving for the day/evening.

"We are all here.....because we are not all there."

Posts: 1940 | Location: Hither & Yon | Registered: Sep 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Indexlady
posted Hide Post
Home-canned apple juice.

It uses an incredible amount of apples.

Posts: 4569 | Location: In the beautiful Tennessee Valley, between the Cumberland Plateau and the Great Smoky Mountains. | Registered: Jul 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh...if they are good firm cooking apples, you can make and can apple pie filling.

Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
I used to do applesauce and would melt a bag of redhots in each batch! Yummy.
I don't have a recipe but I would wash, core, cut into chunks, put in a dutch oven pan w/enough water to cover and simmer til soft. Then I run that through my blender...peels and all and wala...applesauce. Add sugar or spices to suit you...bag & freeze or can it & process as Ball Blue Book says.

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4993 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
Here is the way I make apple butter. I adopted the recipe from "The Joy of Cooking". The recipe says that you should wash, remove the stems,and quarter the apples. I did it that way many times, but dealing with the peels, seeds, etc. after cooking was too much of a pain for me. I make my cooking easy! Most likely the skins add flavor, but I remove them.

Wash, peel, and quarter 4 lbs. of cooking apples. Cook them slowly in 2 cups of water. When the apples are completely mushy put them through a strainer. Measure the pulp and return to your pot. For each cup of pulp add: 1/2 cup brown sugar, 3 teaspoons cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon allspice.

Cook this over low heat stirring until the sugar is dissolved. Continue to cook, stirring frequently until the mixture sheets from a spoon. You can also put a blob on a plate, and when no liquid separates around the edge of the butter, it is done. Put into small plastic containers and freeze.

Note....the recipe also calls for 1 1/2 teaspoons of cloves for each cup of pulp. I choose not to add this.

Posts: 3226 | Location: central PA | Registered: Jan 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Apple recipes here...

http://www.applerecipes.us/

Posts: 18727 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Lots of good apple cakes and breads all of which freeze easily and you can make applesauce -- Ina Garten has an easy receipe done in the oven. You can add redhots if you wish. I've not made apple butter but would assume that it would freeze easily as well.

Martha

Posts: 6198 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I made the chocolate pear cake the other day. Absolutely delicious. Couldn't have been happier with the way it turned out.

Classic Foods

Posts: 93 | Location: Killeen, Texas | Registered: Jul 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trish212
posted Hide Post
Today, I was able to use the apple butter I preserved in the fall. It is quite a treat! Now, I need to make some applesauce/applecake/applemuffins, we still have apples to cook. And....family members are hoping for some of my baked goods for the season.

Martha, there's crockpot apple butter recipes online. It's what I used for my first attempt. My young neighbor told me her mother has done it for years. She said her mother doesn't even core the apples; and, many recipes said the same; however, I just couldn't make myself do this. She also said her mother adds red food coloring to make it brighter. As it cooked, I saw the color and tried it. Much brighter and festive! DH enjoys it over French toast. Besides baking.....I think I need to make some more apple butter. Thanks for reminding me of this.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: trish212,

Posts: 5231 | Registered: Jan 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
denawills
Glad you like it! I generally bake a couple of recipes of both cakes...plain and chocolate...to put in my freezer. I have needed an emergency dessert on occasion and they also are good to pull out to take to a family who has lost a loved one.

Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
Chris......no one will look at your links!! You are violating board rules, resurrecting old posts, and generally annoying us!!

posted Hide Post