Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Food & Entertaining
  I've fallen in love with balsamic vinegar!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I've fallen in love with balsamic vinegar! Sign In/Join 
Picture of wannaquilt2
posted
Can anyone share a recipe for homemade salad dressing using balsamic? THX!

"We are all here.....because we are not all there."

Posts: 1925 | Location: Hither & Yon | Registered: Sep 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of junk collector
posted Hide Post
When I use it, all I do is just drip a little onto the greens. Usually just a mix of baby greens, a little chopped apple or pear, some goat cheese, and prosciutto. A little goes a long way and you won't miss the oil.

We use a very thick balsamic from a local vendor. You can find flavored (fig, raspberry, etc) varieties as well.

Posts: 2954 | Registered: Aug 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
One of my faves:

Blend balsamic vinegar with a bit of sugar
and freshly ground black pepper.

Pour over thickly cut fresh ripe strawberries and toss. Eat as is for dessert.

Or serve marinated strawberries as a side salad over fresh spinach leaves and toasted pecans, with a drizzle of hazelnut or walnut oil. Sprinkle with a tiny pinch of sea salt. Add cooked chicken breast for a main dish salad.

Posts: 5162 | Registered: Jul 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
I sprinkle balsamic over strawberries as well. When I make salad dressing, I just use the balsamic in place of regular vinegar. For me it's just oil, vinegar and salt and pepper.

It's also great to sprinkle over roasted Brussels sprouts, green beans, broccoli.

I also use it when I saute salmon.

Martha

Posts: 5397 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
Oh, and there is nothing more delicious than a balsamic/olive oil vinaigrette made with minced shallots and whole grain Dijon mustard. It makes a killer dressing for just about anything, including potato salad.

posted Hide Post
What is the ratio of ingredients in that mustard dressing? It sounds yummy!

Last night we had tomatoes, fresh mozzerala, olive oil and balsamic. So good!

Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
Vinaigrette ratio is 1 part vinegar to 3 parts oil. Dissolve any seasonings & spices in the measured vinegar, then slowly drizzle in the oil & whisk all the while.
However, you may want to start with just a portion of balsamic with another lighter vinegar rather than just balsamic alone. I also prefer to cut down on the amount of oil I use when I do vinaigrettes.

Posts: 2639 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Nov 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by junk collector:
What is the ratio of ingredients in that mustard dressing? It sounds yummy!

Unfortunately, I don't measure ingredients. So, I advise you to add mustard by the scant teaspoon, mix well and taste. Add more, if needed.

Sometimes a little bit of honey will balance the mustard flavor. I don't put too much, as I don't like overly sweet dressings.

Have fun experimenting!

posted Hide Post
OK - Thanks! The balsamic I have on hand is very sweet, so honey would be a bit much. I will try it on potatoes as you suggested Wink

Picture of Seaborne
posted Hide Post
Best quality olive oil (2 to 1 proportion with vinegar), and a combination of regular red wine vinegar and balsamic vinegar, honey and a TB or two of water - shake and use. I always add onions to my salad greens, tomatoes, cucumbers, avocado, and cheese crumbles - sometimes, Kalamata olives and/or Craisins.

Seaborne

Posts: 974 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: Nov 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
I have a wonderful recipe at home. It's very similar to Seaborne's with the addition of dijon mustard. It truly is wonderful.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6198 | Location: Northwest Florida | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Seaborne
posted Hide Post
FFG: I have never used Dijon in my salad dressings but I know that it helps to emulsify the ingredients - and many chefs always begin with Dijon - including Jacques Pepin - who is a favorite of mine - especially loved it when he and Julia Child cooked together.

Seaborne

Posts: 974 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: Nov 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post