Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Food & Entertaining
  emergency ration suggestions needed!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

emergency ration suggestions needed! Sign In/Join 
Picture of lady of shallot
posted
DD surprised us with a last minute visit on Sunday. We did not know till about 9a.m.

Days plans did not include food preparation and/or food shopping so we went out to eat (see March meals)

I think that I should have had something to eat on hand maybe in the freezer or cupboard or something. Do you keep such emergency supplies and if so what are they? I wished I had had a lasagna or maybe some frozen meatballs (always have canned sauce and pasta) or a cooked casserole or something.

By the way her visit was kinda bittersweet. She was bringing DGD back to college and it will be the last trip DGD makes to her college as an undergrad. We will miss having her in Maine but DGS is considering his parents alma mater and that also is in Maine!

Posts: 12551 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you could get your hands on a copy of 365 Ways to Cook Pasta, it has a chapter on emergency dinners which gives you a list of things to keep on hand to make a quick dinner in such situations. It also has other great recipes.

Posts: 3402 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
I almost always have a homemade lasagna, homemade chili, homemade chicken/turkey pot pies in the freezer.

It's easy to brown a pound of ground beef or Italian sausage to mix with a jar of spaghetti sauce to pour over pasta.

Frozen boneless skinless chicken breasts take no time to thaw and you can do anything with them...fry, sauté, oven bake, etc.

Posts: 17009 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
I don't get surprise drop-in's, but if I did, I'd just make a quick trip for take-out at KFC or my local BBQ joint. I don't keep emergency meals in the freezer; but I always have plenty of wine. Smile

Posts: 5270 | Registered: Jul 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Spanish Revival
posted Hide Post
LOS, I always have a 2-3 lb bag of frozen shrimp in the freezer. For us, it's usually shrimp we've caught ourselves but store bought is fine too. You can whip up a very quick scampi and serve over a bed of linguine. And like Aychi... there's always wine!!

Posts: 951 | Location: Florida | Registered: Aug 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
I have 2 freezers besides my fridge freezer. I always have something in there that can be fixed in a pinch!
I just put 6 servings of homemade chicken pot pie in there today!
And I nearly always have the makings for a homemade pizza.

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4810 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
I would say that between freezer and larder that I could come up with a meal or two to serve to unexpected guests.

Martha

Posts: 5855 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
I generally have a casserole (poppy seed chicken, lasagna, ladies chicken luncheon dish) for 4-6 in the freezer. Lots of my recipes are for a batch in a 9X13 pan (from days all children were home) and now I just divide them into 2 smaller pans, freeze one and use one right away.

Another idea is Quiche Lorraine. I whipped one up after returning home from a late morning appointment and had it ready to serve guests in under an hour today. Pulled a few strips of frozen bacon from the freezer and with a good knife, diced it, fried it and grated some Gruyere cheese. I keep unbaked pie shells in the freezer. Blind baked that while the bacon fried, whisked the eggs, milk and seasonings. Voila!

Arranged what fresh fruit was in the fridge and a variety of loaf cakes alongside the serving of quiche and the plates looked lovely. As I closed the refrig. door I noticed yoghurt, so I dolloped atop the fresh fruit.

Another easy and quick item would be chili, as most of the ingredients are canned, the beef can be thawed from frozen in the process of browning and add some diced trinity vegetables as most everyone has those available. I always have cheese to shred and sour cream.

Meatloaf, scalloped or baked potatoes and baked beans perhaps.

Depends on what you consider a well stocked pantry and larder.

Posts: 2741 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Nov 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Seaborne
posted Hide Post
I live so close to a major grocery store - that I or my husband could make a trip to the store in 20 minutes and have anything we might need to cook and serve a complete meal - or a light supper - or something to serve as appetizers with wine or coffee or tea.

Otherwise, I have a well-stocked freezer - often with either home-made spaghetti sauce or chicken or lamb chops - which can be defrosted quickly and be ready in an hour or so.

Seaborne

Posts: 1115 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: Nov 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
Yes, we also live very near a grocery store but it seemed a hassle to think about it esp as she usually is very flexible in her driving time. This time she was exactly when she said she would be!

Alas, no wine on hand either although she would have liked that. I am inspired though to have 3 or 4 cooked things on hand in freezer. Good for just the two of us too! Oh, I did have shrimp but not enough for three!

Thank you all for your suggestions! Our appetites are not quite as good as we age (or maybe too many sweets) and DH is a very fussy eater so I may have dried goods on hand but not necessarily complete dinner makings.

Posts: 12551 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
I would probably do what you did-go out to eat. It is more fun to sit across a table and chat while someone else does the cooking anyway.

Posts: 7178 | Registered: Apr 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
While I enjoy eating out, I have to say that the most fun I have when my daughter and her boyfriend are here is the cooking we do together. In fact, they will be here at the end of May and we are already trying to decide what she has to fix for losing the bet on who would win the men's figure skating at the Olympics.

Posts: 3402 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post