Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Food & Entertaining
  Why are people TOO busy to cook?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why are people TOO busy to cook? Sign In/Join 
posted
I sell Pampered Chef and was at a show a few nights ago. Out of the 10 people there at least 6-7 said they don't have time to cook for their family. They are all 30's - 40's with kids.

I know we're ALL busy but I make feeding my family a priority. I have 4 kids and we manage a sit down dinner 7 nights a week. The hardest part is planning.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to promote the important of eating healthy meals together?

Happily married and mom of 4
Central maryland - Zone 7

Posts: 7650 | Location: Maryland, USA | Registered: Jun 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
I would share simple meal plans with the total calorie, sodium and fat AND Cost. Then I would show a similar meal for 4 at a casual dining restaurant. Then show the savings at different periods of time - 1 week, 1 month, 1 year.

If that does not seem like enough of a reason - show the REAL time involved in eating out. Sometimes you can have a simple meal of grilled meat, starch and salad in the time it would take to go to a casual or even fast food restaurant.

For women who work outside the home share some simple crock pot recipes. Put it all in that morning or even the night before and plug it in for dinner in the evening.

Much of the problem is many tend to over schedule their children.

Posts: 3402 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Over scheduling and working outside of home have all but ruined a family dinner hour unless you are willing to wait until 8 pm to eat, which in my opinion is too late. At my DD's home she has 3 girls who play sports, and there's either a game or practice around 5:30- 6:00 at least 4- 5 nights a week and she's not home much before 4:30 at best. Quick, light meals are in order and can't be too heavy as they'll be practicing soccer or lacrosse and doing a lot of running. Don't like it, but I see that scenario all too often.

Posts: 3055 | Location: Michigan and sw Florida | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
My DD is grown and I don't think I was any busier than the mothers are today -- work, activities, house to care for. It's where there priorities are -- and for some it isn't in the kitchen.

Food out is so simple to get any more. Fast food makes it uber simple to eat out. No waiting to order, no waiting for food -- And with the selection of fast foods out there you're not eating hamburgers every night!

Do you watch The Middle? She brings take out home for dinner everynight!

I'm not sure how you change people from eating out to cooking at home. If they don't like to cook they're not interested in learning healthy and perhaps cheaper meals.

I think where education needs to start is in schools and not just for girls but for boys as well -- teaching them how to prepare easy, tasty, healthy food. Giving them menu ideas.

You do realize that the number one vegetable in the United States is "French Fries" -- not potatoes but French fries. And I'm sure not many of those are made from scratch at home!

I think it's a shame that families are not spending time together around the table -- that's where good families are made -- that time spent breaking bread together and sharing their day's experiences.

I know what a problem it is but I don't have any answers. There are just a lot of families out there who always eat out!

Martha

Posts: 5410 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MyLifeVacation1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Linderhof:

I think where education needs to start is in schools and not just for girls but for boys as well -- teaching them how to prepare easy, tasty, healthy food. Giving them menu ideas.

Martha

The problem with that is many schools, under heavy funding cuts, are cutting out the home economics programs. Such a shame. I learned how to use a sewing machine, make a proper bed, and bake a cake in my 7th grade home ec class. All things my mother should have taught me but didn't.

One of my best friends is a retired home ec teacher and when she retired 3 years ago, her grade 6-8 program was cut and her position was eliminated.

Posts: 967 | Registered: Oct 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Just my personal experience:
To many it is considered a drudgery, rather than an artistic/creative gift to a family?

I did not cook that much when the family was home, we went out a lot...together. It was our "family time", so at least we had that.

When I finally cleaned up (decluttered) my kitchen and bought some easy to clean pots and pans, (and learned to keep a full sink of hot sudsy water to wash cooking things as I used them) it was more of a joy to cook.

We are now mostly retired, and I'm attempting to go GMO free and more organic, as much as possible. Not easy, gradual changes...but cooking is often a big part of it. The prepared food is costlier, but if one is more careful of choosing the raw foods...not much more so than normal shopping of convenience foods.

Posts: 9432 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wavy
posted Hide Post
I'm not too busy too cook, I just hate to cook. I will do anything over cooking, even laundry! (like doing laundry) I was never taught to cook when I was young. As a result, everything takes me 4X as long to do in the kitchen and I am not a good cook. No one's starving in my house, but I never invite anyone over, ever! I love eating out or take-out. I consider that my one and only luxury. I don't shop alot, am very, very low maintenance and my only fun is eating out. Plus, we can afford it.....
You must be making a lot of money, since everyone hates to cook. Right? (I am not familiar with your product at all.)

SPRING HAS F I N A L L Y SPRUNG!!!!!

Posts: 453 | Location: "The Garden State" ~ N.J. | Registered: Jul 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree with the other comments that some people don't like to cook.
I also think people are telling you that because they don't want to buy your product, it is a nice way to say no.
They really don't see the value in buying more tools or can't afford it.

Posts: 2438 | Location: Southern CA (Southbay) | Registered: Nov 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Meischa:
I also think people are telling you that because they don't want to buy your product, it is a nice way to say no.
They really don't see the value in buying more tools or can't afford it.

I can agree with this point also.
Pampered chef has some good products, but honestly no better and often a WHOLE LOT more expensive than one can score in store sales. I have gotten a few PC pieces cheap at garage and thrift stores too, so not everyone loves the brand.

Posts: 9432 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's just me to cook for, but by the time I get home from work, I just don't want to really cook - especially when I work late, which is a lot. So, I have a salad or reheat leftovers or do something in the microwave.

For a family, I would suggest crock pot meals and cooking and freezing on the weekends. Also, cooking something like chicken on a Sunday, enough for a few days, and using it differently each night. That way they can usually get dinner on the table in 30 minutes or less.

Planning is key, and it sounds liked these ladies don't want to plan, or aren't organized enough to do so.

Posts: 616 | Location: Indianapolis | Registered: Nov 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's where there priorities are -- and for some it isn't in the kitchen. . .
I'm not sure how you change people from eating out to cooking at home. If they don't like to cook they're not interested in learning healthy and perhaps cheaper meals.

This describes my DD. She is not interested in cooking or discussing food. She does like to eat and she certainly is a passable cook when push comes to shove. I don't think education is really the answer people simply prefer a variety of activities and now with mothers working it is difficult for them to cook dinner too.

Although when I was young I worked with a woman who had a family of 4. She was extremely well organized and prepared all her weeks meals on the week ends. This would have been before big freezers too.

MLV1. Are you sure it is funding cuts that have eliminated the home ec programs? All of the primary schools in Portland Maine are now serving breakfast (maybe lunch too) to all of the students. Not just needy students. This is funded by the school dept.

I would think maybe the reason such programs are cut is because the academic side is becoming so rigorous, at least in New York state which is what I am most familiar with.

Posts: 12180 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
Budget cuts in California have eliminated home ec: http://acsa.org/FunctionalMenu...Kit/ROP/Rewards.aspx

Here's a somewhat erudite paper (1995) on the elimination of home economics curricula due to budget cuts and other factors: http://acsa.org/FunctionalMenu...Kit/ROP/Rewards.aspx

That said, there is a movement to bring back home economics to youngsters to help them learn healthy eating habits, how to grow and cook good food. Thank goodness.

Back in the 60s, when I was in middle school, I took home ec. What a bust. The cooking section was awful; I had already learned basic and intermediate cooking skills from mom, who was an awesome cook. Then the sewing classes were pure torture for me. Had no aptitude or interest in it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: aychihuahua,

Posts: 5166 | Registered: Jul 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Indexlady
posted Hide Post
I agree with all the previous posters about overscheduling children, not liking to and/or no interest in cooking, working outside the home and commuting, living in areas where takeout is actually fairly healthy (organic, gluten-free restaurants with grass-fed beef, etc.).

And, I'm sure even more reasons.

One thing about cooking is that it's not just about "time" it takes to cook something.

It's far more time-consuming that "just" cooking.

Food Activities wear me out.

1. It's exhausting decision-making about creating a MENU.

2. Then, creating a GROCERY LIST from that menu.

3. Then, fighting traffic and crowds after work or on the weekends to BUY the food--and if anyone else is like me, there isn't a single store that carries ALL FOODS I need so that's MULTIPLE STORES for grocery shopping.

4. Then HAUL IN all the food. And if there isn't an attached garage or such, it means hauling all that food into the house in the pouring rain, scorching heat with sun beating down, the frigid cold... and like one family I know, doing all that while holding onto a child's small hand, or hauling them inside and strapping them in a highchair while you get the REST of the stuff.

5. Then put it all AWAY, and most likely not have ROOM in the home for a WHOLE week of food...

6. So that usually means TWO grocery trips each week.

7. Fine, NOW we finally get to around cooking the food, and how little time it takes to COOK. (Cook, yes, but what about all that time we've spent up to this point, and perhaps in miserable conditions?)

8. But, wait, we're not done yet--there's the mountain of DISHES to wash.

9. Then put the dishes AWAY. And, that's provided there's a dishwasher in the home....

And I DO like cooking, and there's just the two of us. No children at home.

In order to reach people, it's not just about time to cook. It's about everything else, too--ALL Food Activities. Find ways to address all of that, as well.

10. Now, add to that food pickiness, allergies, complaining-about-food-cooked partners or spouses, a small recipe collection, a lack of knife skills for quick chopping, not having decent equipment, and so on.

I'm getting a headache just thinking about all the peripheral activities that MUST happen before cooking can even begin, and AFTER cooking has happened.

We do these things on autopilot, not realizing frequently how overwhelming it all is to others. Even if you stop on the way home from work for just a few things, you still have to KNOW what you are cooking in order to know what to buy. Then menu process has to take place.

I need to lay down now. I've worn myself out just thinking about it all.

After all, I just made a batch of borscht from fresh vegetables that I chopped, bone broth than I homecanned, and eye of round that I also canned. The spices I already had on hand from previous grocery trips. It was quick to pull together, but ALL THE WORK that happened already, before I cut up the beets... searching out the grass-fed beef eye of round, finding bones, canning which means having jars, rings, lids, etc. etc. etc.

OK, so the PC cooks don't need to go THAT far..... Big Grin

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Indexlady,

Posts: 4406 | Location: In the beautiful Tennessee Valley, between the Cumberland Plateau and the Great Smoky Mountains. | Registered: Jul 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
Index Lady - If one likes a person can make preparing themselves to leave the home of a day to go to work, etc sound like an exhausting all day event.

In the end it is a matter of choice and where you place your priorities. Even if you do not cook you still must go to the grocery at least once a week for milk, bread, coffee, luncheon meat, etc. You still have to drag all that stuff into the house and put it away. If a family - this is where your partner and your children get into the act. They eat also - let them take part.

It should no longer be super mom making all the meals and doing all the housework. If everyone pitches in family meals becomes a family event. Younger children should have their assigned tasks. Older children can take part in planning. Much of the pickiness you describe comes from little or no real food at an early age. Children who take part in food decisions in the home tend to be less picky.

DH does not get off the hook either - he eats, he can help, especially if you both work outside the home. DH is at home - he washes dishes and tidies the kitchen.

Instead of taking the toddler to the grocery - why not leave the child at home with their other parent and let them have some bonding time? Makes your life a lot easier and gives you some free time.

It is time to end the Super Mom fantasy once and for all.

My younger step made it clear that her kids could have 1 outside activity and then the parents shared the running around for practice etc.

Posts: 3402 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jewel
posted Hide Post
It could be that those 6-7 people just threw out the "I don't cook" statement as a red herring to avoid having to order much/any products. That would, of course, beg the question as to why they accepted the hostess's invitation to a Pampered Chef party in the first place. by now, I would think most people know the brand has to do with food preparation.

Posts: 8188 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
The two PC parties I felt that I needed to attend were both also "Wedding Showers".
Never again, however.

posted Hide Post
When niece (33 yo now) was pregnant with first baby (now 4 yo) she said she REALLY wanted to be a SAHM, but didn't think she could swing it financially. First, I got blunt and asked what she made as a TA in a day care center and what it would cost for day care... total NO BRAINER. Then got BLUNTER and said she hadda start COOKING and not relying on drawer full of take-out menus. She had a pretty rough time growing up (another story) and think she was just SCARED to try anything. Had a lot of nice kitchen stuff from wedding presents... BIG block fulla decent knives, food processor, KA stand mixer, decent pots/pans. After first baby arrived, I went to visit and brought dinner. Chili and rice that I cooked there. It was tasty but nothing more than ground beef, onions, peppers, tomato something, kideney beans, and a packet of chili mix. You'da thought I was Wolfgang Puck the way they raved!?! Husband is a BIG Eagles fan and often has a bunch of friends over on game days. I mentioned that they could probably feed 10-12 people for about $10 instead of 4-5 times that much for delivery chicken, pizza, etc.

For a while would send her recipes on a regular basis... like 100 ways to create dinner with a pound of ground beef. Don't know how many she actually tried? BUT she does cook most nights now.

Thinking most 30-40-somethings are kids of Boomers... generation when BOTH parents almost ALWAYS worked. When I was a kid, can only think of ONE friend with a working mom... and she was divorced... rarity back then.

Posts: 5577 | Location: mount holly, NJ, USA | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
I personally bought a good set back in 1963 and am still using it. I have other pieces also & 2 other full, cheaper sets...I don't NEED any more cookware.

I'm not really sure how I did it but back when we had a child at home, I only had one, this is sort of a list that I managed to accomplish every year.
Breakfast & supper...sit down meals!
I worked full time at night.
I raised a garden every year.
I canned & froze most of our veggies for the year.
Our son was in at least one activity all year long...sometimes two.
I managed to only miss one event from grade school thru high school...since I worked nights, I gave up sleep to attend.
Every fall on the weekends we cut, split, hauled & stacked our winter's supply of firewood, the 3 of us. It normally took about 3-4 weekends and we heated with a wood stove!
We seldom ate out, but we also lived rural...a lot more trouble to go to town to eat.
I learned to batch cook & freeze extra for later quick meals. Our weekend wood gathering...I would fix a huge pot of chili or something like that & we had that for both lunch & supper both days. That way I only had to cook one time over the weekend & could stay working on the firewood.

And I never had anyone to teach me how to cook either. I learned the hard way, trial/error! I even made scratch bisquits once that our dog wouldn't touch! My son said they would have made great hockey pucks though!

And we still had time to go to other school events, socialize with our neighbors and our relatives. We didn't watch a lot of tv and we didn't have a cell phone in our hand all the time either.

And my DIL still has a sit down supper every night too....and a sit down breakfast also! They have 2 kids and both are VERY active...each invoved in at least 2 things at once...all going different directions and all having practices every night or 2-3 times per week.
Like someone else said...it all depends on your priorities! Mine was family & good, nutritous (sp?) food every day!

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4341 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's just a matter of priorities. My mother was a great cook and baker. The kitchen always smelled good. I learned how to cook from her and I love to bake. My own children were involved in many activities, including year round sports through high school. Unless they played a very late game, we ate at home when we got home. I can understand the issue of having enough time. It is difficult to do everything, especially when both spouses work outside the home. That being said, eating together is a special time.

Of course, I have tons of cookware, including Pampered Chef, it is a very good product which is much better than many of its cheaply made competitors. It is worth it to me to pay more and get a good product because I use the covered measuring cups and cookie scoops that I have from PC all the time. I would promote the products by showing that it is easy and rewarding to make food from scratch. I will make the assumption that your audience is beyond the group that actually thinks that instant mashed potatoes are the same as made from scratch, etc. Show them some easy recipes and discuss how making food together can strengthen a family's relationships.

Posts: 3050 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Feb 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kathy_in_wlsv
posted Hide Post
I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the current ads for Hamburger Helper.. bring home "a greasy bag of deep fried easy."

I cook. nearly every night, and EVERY morning. We have at least 5 sit down dinners a week, and if it is take out we still sit together. I've cooked DH a breakfast every weekday since 1973.

I truly believe it's all about priorities. Right now we are raising our grandkids, our second family, so we won't retire anyy time soon, so I've been doing this a while. I am disabled as well, so I KNOW how hard it can be sometimes.

Before we ever had kids.. in the early 70's we decided we refused to over schedule. Kids get ONE extra curricular activity. for some it was scouts, for some acting, for some art/craft classes.

To us the most important thing was time together at home as a family, reading, playing outside, watching tv, or just hanging out. Meals togehter , cooked at home are a big part of this.

I explained to my little girl yesterday that just pizza for our family is $30, and that same amount will make dinner for 5 at least 3 times.

Sometimes "dinner" is soup and grilled cheese. Today it was roast chicken, stuffing, mashed potatoes and vegs. tomorrow it will be homemade chicken soup from left overs. it's no harder to plan meals than it is to plan anything else.

I plan what I will wear I plan doctor/dentist appointments and hair appointments. dinner is hardly that difficult.

As for needing more than one store to shop, well some of us have just one store. so we shop there and build meals around sales.

I taught myself how to cook, since for us home ec concentrated on making a skirt and baking cookies. My mom was a dreadful cooks, and I pretty much can put together a great meal with just the most basic of tools.

If you are "too busy" to cook, it's because you have chosen to be. In my not so very humble opinion..

Life is GOOD!!

Posts: 1510 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: Nov 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
This is a great discussion topic.
1st) Too many of your party attenders are the spoiled issue of two income families who no doubt at the time did not realize the importance of "The Family Table."
2nd) Truth be known, the family table concept is one of the top few reasons my husband and I feel our children are well rounded contributing members of society. I loved those public service TV ads a few years ago with Phylicia Rashad promoting the family table. And to those who never had the privilege to experience it - they aren't gonna ever offer to their family.
3) Our public schools have lost focus with the No Child Left Behind concept ie: teaching to the tests! So there is no way any Family and Consumer class these days is going to effect the problem of home food prep. IMHO unless you are paying tuition for a private education, children are not learning any values, other than what may or may not be modeled at home.
4) Most married working women have no intention of cooking family meals and they can afford not to.
5) I may be terribly old fashioned, but I enjoy cooking as a hobby (it should be swapped for exercise, but I have asthmatic shortness of breath). Today's society tends to make girls feel guilty for enjoying the SAHM lifestyle choice.
6) We spent the money we saved by dining at home vs. fast food/take-out/delivery for fabulous family vacations and reminded the kids all along the way this is what we were doing. We also never fed change into arcade machines for them or dropped bundles of cash at the carnival rides, etc. We did dine out as a family often enough, and more often than not it was upscale rather than fast food. After all, with a good cook for a wife/mom, most establishments weren't to our standards.

Pampered Chef products are some of my most used items in my kitchen. I already had many of them before the product line was introduced.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Lurah,

Posts: 2639 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Nov 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Indexlady
posted Hide Post
ForensicMom, I think you've received great ideas on how to approach the selling of the product. By addressing the issues first, then showing how the products fit into those issues--and the cookbooks/recipes that PC publishes to use those products, seems like it would be a success.

There will always be some that don't buy. Many hosts/hostesses tell their guests to come anyway.

Posts: 4406 | Location: In the beautiful Tennessee Valley, between the Cumberland Plateau and the Great Smoky Mountains. | Registered: Jul 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Forensic Mom, Great topic for discussion but think it has two components - one: making time to cook and two: possible excuse not to buy a very good quality but EXPENSIVE product. Since so many have have addressed the first one, I'll concentrate on the second.

My DH works in a field where his supporting staff is mainly composed of women and since he believes strongly in supporting them - including outside interests and ways to supplement their income - he has always been a soft touch for raffles, XYZ-a-thons, bake sales and home parties including, amongst many, Tupperware, Salt Lake City Candles and Pampered Chef.

He drops by when invited, spends a few minutes, buys something and then leaves. However, we jokingly refer to the last "home party" he attended ~ and it will be his last ~ because it was a party for Pampered Chef and he came home with a TEN DOLLAR egg slicer! Roll Eyes

When he showed it to me, I rolled my eyes and he said, "What could I do? It was the cheapest product they had!" That was a number of years ago and I must say that we still have it ~ Pampered Chef products are good but quite expensive. So, just a feeling here, but I think those 6-7 people out of 10 were using the "don't cook" as a way to politely avoid buying products they didn't feel were a necessity and were ones they couldn't afford....

Posts: 6487 | Registered: Jan 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quiltzilla
posted Hide Post
This is an interesting topic.
I think all of the reasons you've already mentioned contribute to the issue, & I think it's a big problem.
#1 Let me say my husband & I have always worked outside our home as teachers & when our oldest son was a freshman in high school, I cried the first time he missed dinner for sports practice. It was devastating. The beginning of the end for our little cocoon.
#2 The school lunch & breakfast programs are federally funded & required to make sure our children are fed daily. The schools don't initiate or pay for these programs.
#3 In my classroom, most students do not have dinner with their families. Take out is frequent, or mom cooks, but everyone takes their plate to their favorite TV set in different rooms to play games, computer, or watch. It's sad.

Posts: 6623 | Registered: Aug 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nettiejay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Resident:
... we jokingly refer to the last "home party" he attended ~ and it will be his last ~ because it was a party for Pampered Chef and he came home with a TEN DOLLAR egg slicer!

And, was that before or after adding on sales tax and shipping?
Their products are okay, nothing special that the same amount of money couldn't buy two of in a retail store. That's my issue with home parties in general, including PC. I don't happen to enjoy paying extra for the salesperson's commission, shipping charges, and the hostess' incentive gifts along with the cost of the product I'm buying for myself. If many of the women in your target audience feel the same, I suspect they are using the "don't cook" claim as an excuse not to order.

Posts: 4344 | Location: zone 6b, Missouri | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
#2 The school lunch & breakfast programs are federally funded & required to make sure

But we don't have them in our town, nor in my DD's town. That is for every student. Which is what is being done in Portland.

Not all take out food is unhealthy. Within easy walking distance of my house are two places that sell good food. One is a pasta place, the other I guess you would say regular food (potato salad, chicken dishes, etc.) we also have a pizza place nearby that has terrific salads.

I just checked the lunch programs in my town. 6% of the students are available for reduced or free meals. Then I checked the income eligibility and the incomes are really low. If this is the wealthiest town in Maine, how people in more rural areas must really struggle.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: lady of shallot,

Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
I make breakfast, lunch and dinner every day for DH and myself. We only eat out once or twice a month for dinner.

No wonder the restaurants are always crowded, and no wonder people are always saying they can't afford the neccessities. Eating out is so much more expensive than staying home and cooking.

Whether You Think You Can Or You Think You Can't..... You're Right - Henry Ford

Posts: 7276 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of peppermintpattitotherescue
posted Hide Post
quote:

Back in the 60s, when I was in middle school, I took home ec. What a bust. The cooking section was awful; I had already learned basic and intermediate cooking skills from mom, who was an awesome cook. Then the sewing classes were pure torture for me. Had no aptitude or interest in it.

My sentiments exactly. I could put on a Sunday dinner for my large family and I was stuck in this basic cooking class. plus they didn;t even cook the kind of foods which were prevalent in my neighborhood.
Cooking class and sewing were alteranted and to this day I HATE sewing. Never learned a thing in sewing class.

Save Planet Earth, it is the only Planet with chocolate!!

Posts: 992 | Location: Camarillo, California | Registered: Mar 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Then the sewing classes were pure torture for me. Had no aptitude or interest in it.

We got the sewing/cooking deal in junior high. This was in the '40's. So get this you took sewing first and made an apron to use in cooking next term (or year) well they were still using treadle machines and I was terrible at it. No coordination, at all. It took me a week to sew the hem in the pocket of the apron.

I felt like a real failure as I also never was a good typist or pianist either. Anyway when an electric machine came into my life I found I was really quite a good seamstress and now with computers I am a pretty passable typist too! these keyboards are much more user friendly than those heavy keys we had to push forceably down.

My mom though used a treadle machine all her life and made all of the clothes for her five daughters (but then she could play by ear too!)

posted Hide Post
I learned cooking and sewing in the 4H, did anyone have 4H clubs in their town?

Posts: 2438 | Location: Southern CA (Southbay) | Registered: Nov 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Growing up in mid-Indiana, I was in 4 H for several years until we moved to big town in W MI. I learned to sew and made my first cake from scratch in 4H, went to the county and state fairs regularly. Vividly remember seeing all the jars of canned goods and baked products that women made. I think it's still a fairly big deal in small, rural communities.

Posts: 3055 | Location: Michigan and sw Florida | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Funny I was in the 4H in Southern California.
One year I raised sheep, I loved the different projects.

Okay so I just googled 4H, there are 19 clubs in Los Angeles County.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Meischa,

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Meischa:
I learned cooking and sewing in the 4H, did anyone have 4H clubs in their town?

4H is still a huge deal here in Idaho and not just in the rural areas ~ although probably 90% of Idaho would be considered rural! Smile 4H has evolved through the years to include public speaking, leadership and computer skills as well as the more traditional areas.

I never took Home Ec but DH did as a freshman in high school in the late 60's. I met his former teacher years later who remembered him as her most creative student ever. Apparently the course involved making an apron and serving dinner to the faculty for their final exam.

DH lined the pocket of his apron with plastic and smuggled green food dye into the kitchen. As part of his presentation for the final, all of the teachers cracked up when he ladled gravy from his pocket over their green mashed potatoes. Big Grin

PS. Not sure what grade she gave him! Cool

Posts: 6487 | Registered: Jan 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I may be considered crazy but I think modern couples don't want to work at ANYTHING!
Many get divorced because they don't want to WORK at their marriage!
Many raise their kids by handing out video games (saw one family 2 parents, 2 kids (9 &12 about) and the kids never spoke one word to parents and visa versa during their whole meal and I'm not talking fast food place.

Parents don't teach many things that were taught at home (they don't have time or it's too much work) and that's why TEACHERS are asked to teach things that are not/never have been in a ciriculum.

SO--IF you CARE about your family-with crock pots meals, three ingredient meals and all the short-cut books out there--they're really saying their family isn't worth the work! AND many parents are BOTH working for boats, and big houses (what happened to cape cod homes?) and showy vacations! IMHO

This message has been edited. Last edited by: marcydaisy,

Posts: 1708 | Location: Allentown PA USA | Registered: Oct 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
I don't cook nearly as much as I used to when my kids were at home. Now it is just hubbie and me and we enjoy stopping for dinner somewhere on the way home on week nights. We can sit and talk and then no dishes to do up. We are both tired, so it works for us. (of course we don't do that EVERY night)

I think that when more women stayed home and worked as homemakers that cooking went along with that job. Now that more women work outside the home, they have to look for ways to fit everything in, and sometimes it isn't that important who made the meal as long as the family gets fed.

Posts: 7077 | Registered: Apr 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by marcydaisy:
I may be considered crazy but I think modern couples don't want to work at ANYTHING!
Many get divorced because they don't want to WORK at their marriage!
Many raise their kids by handing out video games

I disagree. Maybe some people don't work at the family stuff, but I know plenty of young couples who are doing a great job of working really hard at raising their families, and teaching their children good values, keeping their marriages strong, and managing their homes and finances. There are a lot of great people out there!

Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
I'm invited to Pampered Chef parties for body count. My friends know that I think the products are over priced. I've purchased one thing - an oil spritzer - that I'm crazy about but could've gotten something nicer looking and cheaper on Amazon. The body count is for the meal prepared. If you have X number of guest, you do not have to pay for the meal. Under that number and you have to pay. At least that's the way it works here.

I like to cook. I was the "pastry chef" growing up in my home. Wink I learned to cook and can by standing in a chair with my grandmother's apron tied across my chest as I added exactly 1 teaspoon of salt to each jar for green beans. I watched my grandfather whip egg whites with a flat whipper.,I can make a delicious chocolate cake and to-die-for home fried chicken. (I didn't learn to make gravy until after I married. My German shepherd tried to bury that first batch of perfectly molded gravy.)

My parents had three teenagers in the house at one time. We each had different interests and were going and blowing every evening. BUT we had a cooked dinner just about every evening.

It is all a matter of priorities.

In my house now (just two of us) the hassle is that my husband prefers to eat out. That gets expensive on what little we bring in from his SS and my pay check. And we have for the most part mediocre places to eat in our rural area. Every week before going to the store I ask him what would he like for me to cook next week or get from the store for him. 99 times out of a hundred he says, "Bring home some mixed nuts." Thanks a lot for helping plan the menu. In just the last few years he started announcing that he doesn't like leftovers. eyeroll For 7 years while we were both working, I sat across the table from him at El Toro in Clute Texas as he ordered a cheese enchilada a la carte with chili sauce and a few onions sprinkled on top...FIVE DAYS A WEEK! And now he doesn't want meatloaf on Monday and Wednesday in the same week. arrrggghghhh! I baked a pork tenderloin a short while back. After the first meal, I sliced the piece of meat in meal-size servings, wrapped, and froze. Last week I removed a package from the freezer. DH asked, "What's for supper." I told him. He replied, "Oh. Leftovers." On the other hand, if I cook two pieces of chicken, he's hungry enough for seconds. If I cook three pieces, he decides he's not real hungry and will cut the piece of chicken in half. I can't win!

I have a friend who does not like to cook. Her husband is tired of eating in restaurants. I asked her if she wanted to trade! LOL

Addressing the expense of pizza...make your own! Brown and season some ground beef, sausage, etc. Line up the cheeses, vegetables, etc. Let the kids assemble their own either on dough you've made, flour tortillas, biscuits rolled out flat, pita bread, etc. I bet the kids would have a lot of fun! Eat salad while the pizzas are baking...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: KeepYouInStitches,

Posts: 16497 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lived in Ohio in the sixties and recall taking home-ec in grade 9. Learned zilch...they had no budget so we never got passed making scrambled eggs and I never had any sewing talent. I got married at 21 and we both worked four almost 5 years until I had our first child. Some nights it would be 7:00 before we both got home from work so we got into the habit of eating out just about everynight...I think it was cheaper than cooking (at least in the 70's). Once I was a stay-at-home mom, I learned to cook and actually enjoyed baking too. We had two kids, then another 8 years later so I cooked for 5 everyday. We were on one salary all those years and my meals were pretty basic...eg. Meatloaf, chili, spaghetti etc. and even the kids school lunches were pretty basic (could never have afforded all the packaged snacks the kids have now). When the last was in high school, we brought my Dad to live with us and as he was ill, I made all his meals etc. which were actually not the kinds of foods we ate; hence, 6 meals daily. He passed away 4 years later and after over 40 years of cooking, I guess, I'd had it. All I could ever think about was how much work would it take and how much clean-up would it involve. About that time, my husband retired and we just slowly evolved into him cooking dinner; he's still at the phase where it's new and interesting to cook or bake so I enjoy a much-needed holiday from cooking. Basically, we fix our own breakfast and lunch as we have different tastes...and funny thing, I don't mind the clean-up...just feed me and I'm happy!

Posts: 735 | Location: Canada | Registered: Jan 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JoW
posted Hide Post
Don't forget the single people. Cooking for 1 is more trouble than its worth. You spend 30 minutes cooking and 15-minutes cleaning for a meal that you eat in 20 minutes.

Cooking at home is very expensive for a single person. Most food is packaged for a family of 4. You use 1 portion and the other 3 sit in the refrigerator until they spoil and you throw them away.

I work full time. I have to exercise regularly to control the pain from an old bone injury. Work and exercise and travel time mean I'm booked 7am-7pm most days. I cook on holidays and sometimes on weekends. I keep frozen meals on hand for when I'm snowed in.

As for Pampered Chef - most cooking tools are a one-time purchase. Even someone who cooks every day will use the same cooking tools for 30 years or more. Once you get your kitchen set-up you don't need to buy more tools.

I have never been to a Pampered Chef party. I've seen the catalog and there is nothing in there I would pay for. Most of it, if I got it as a gift I would return it or donate it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: JoW,

Posts: 8582 | Location: Omaha, Nebraska, USA | Registered: Oct 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi: I love pamphered cheff products, and I have many. There are about two items I can live without. I LOVE the stone ware pdts.
I love cooking, BUT I am retired, but when I had a 5 day week job, and my DH worked, my kids were in travelling hockey, baseball etc. We did a menu for each week. Children would take turn setting table and other one start with food. This is of course when they were older, 11 & 12. We would do menu's and pull tags, sometimes we had to switch pork chops, potatoes, and veg for a casserole that was in freezer. This would be a hockey/ringette nite. It worked with a lot of planning. I find now I like cooking, but dh is border diabetic so again planning and checking menu's. It is work but can be done. My children are now married with families and they seem to be on top of good meals, (MOST nites)

Posts: 90 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Aug 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like to cook but I don't like to wash the pots. I could cook up a storm if it wasn't for that. Its essential that I shop because I look for the best ingredients but I don't like to spend the time doing it especially in the new giant grocery stores. I'm getting older, not that old, but I have my energy limits especially for a big holiday meal.

Posts: 755 | Registered: Sep 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
I know I have already commented, but I had another thought, and that is that with the onset of Martha Stewart, and other lifestyle writers there seems to be the idea that a meal has to be fancy and elaborate. When I do cook I keep it simple. A quick pot of soup, or chili and a simple salad is really all that is needed for a nourishing dinner. It is overwhelming to think of making fancy beautiful food all the time.

Picture of joyluck
posted Hide Post
You have received several suggestions which answer your question but I don't think you will change the attitude of women who say they don't have time to cook. As stated before some of these do cook but don't need more kitchen products or think they are overpriced.

You may have to be satisfied with selling to the 30-40% of people who will buy your products. Not a bad percentage for retail.

Lucky

"I have always had an aversion to the concepts of in style and out of style." ~Rose Tarlow

Inspirational pics: http://inspiration4u.shutterfly.com/

Posts: 12603 | Location: north of 50 in Canada | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can so agree with Cocok's idea of keeping it simple.

I too get annoyed or amused at the gimmicks people try to sell on infomercials. I'm not talking about Pampered Chef.

I had sons who played football. Talk about time restraints. I had to redo my whole life style for the overwhelming practice schedule. The kid would get in at maybe 7 o clock at night. Oh man was it hard to have a meal at that time. I was a 5 or 6 o clock meal person.
I'll try not to mention that I felt that academics were more important. MY sons were smart and in advanced placement. The son would stay up late doing homework for those courses.
I wanted to start a campaign (in my fantasies only) to limit the practice time on school nights. Don't talk about weekends. Those were messed up too if one wanted to do a fun trip to hike in the mountains etc.

I didn't say a word to my kids. It was what they liked but I didn't like that our life was a bit limited by sports.

Posts: 755 | Registered: Sep 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mainecoon1995
posted Hide Post
I agree that we are rather spoiled...so many good places to eat, little effort.

I like to cook...I really do..but I get up at 8am to get ready for work and get home at 11pm. Five days a week. Sometimes work half days on my days off. If I don't work my days off, I spend that time cleaning the house, doing laundry, running errands. Sometimes, I am too pooped to cook, othertimes, if I really clean my kitchen, I don't want to mess it up. And I LIKE someone waiting on me...lol. And cleaning up!

Posts: 524 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Mar 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Waverider ;)
posted Hide Post
I just googled "Pampered Chef" as I had no idea what it was. It's cookware, right?
Honestly, I too, would have absolutely NO USE for any of those products. I bought pots, pans, and all the prerequisite cooking utensils a long time ago when I got my first apt. and then I got married and had twice of much of that stuff (my DH had his own set of cooking stuff). I hate to cook and RARELY use most of these large pots that were bought with enthusiasm and excitement nearly 25 yrs. ago..... So honestly, while those products are very nice (but a little expensive) most women ALREADY have enough cooking products if they have lived alone or married. They would make nice newlywed gifts, though!!

Posts: 2238 | Location: "The Garden State", NJ ~ Zone 7 | Registered: Nov 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't buy it--too busy to cook. I grew up in Kansas City which is a sprawling urban area. I say this because my parents both worked and had long commutes everyday. My mother picked us up from the sitter every evening, took us home, cooked supper from scratch (and the Crock Pot had yet to be invented although we did have a pressue cooker), and had us bathed and in bed for 8:00. My father insisted that we eat at the dining room table and observe basic manners as well. There was no tv or radio on during supper. I'm not trying to make any smug value judgments here, just reporting the facts. If women don't like cooking or consider it an art not to be rushed over, they should just say so. I worked with a dear woman whose children teased her about not liking to cook by pointing out that there were people in their very neighborhood who ate something other than take out Popeye's every day. She just laughed at them and refused to feel guilty about it.

Oh, I forgot--my mother also cooked breakfast every morning as well.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sms29s66,

Posts: 3242 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trish212
posted Hide Post
Schedules...the EXTRAS that aren't required, but parents don't want their kids to miss out on them.

When my children were young....I had to learn the hard way, kids don't have to be involved in Everything. FAMILY time is IMPORTANT. Learned it early enough to make the necessary changes. I also provided opportunities for my children to feel they were 'cooking', when I had prepped everything; all they had to do was turn it on. One of my children was afraid of cooking.....a neighbor's fire didn't help.

I recently watched some kids; their schedules ARE busy. BUT....the kids are homeschooled and they can adjust their schedules as needed. They also share their dad is the "cook" in the family. It's not always 'Mom's job.

As kids get older, they have extra opportunities from schools. This is when I became quite involved in the "extras"; much to my dad's dismay since I had been the one who had dinner ready when Mom got home from work. After I left for college, I discovered, my family did a LOT of eating out since I wasn't there preparing the meals. My mother has since confessed.....she didn't like to cook.

While shopping, I noticed a family buying frozen dinners. I didn't stop and ask if the reason was to "reduce" kitchen time, reduced funds (not realizing cooking is cheaper if doing the math), "hate cooking" & enjoys convenience.

So many influences on this topic.........

Posts: 5049 | Registered: Jan 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
An interesting topic. Love some of my Pampered Chef products. Broke bar pan and miss it. Just haven't bothered to replace, but will some time. One of my favorites is the bar pan for the toaster oven! Have given several as gifts.

When our boys were growing up, dh worked most evenings, so we didn't eat out a lot during the week. I wasn't perfect at the meals, but they did get mostly balanced meals.

After kids left home, dh and I ate out often. Not expensive places, but cafeteria, local restaurants etc. Maybe fast food some times. The two local restaurants have reasonable priced good food. Only time we usually eat out at special/expensive places is for annv.

I feel lucky that dh will eat planned extras. Our kitchen is small, so having help in it is not workable.

Last evening fixed a chicken casserole for the grandsons. They love it and we hadn't had it over the summer. Oven really heats up the kitchen, so it is back to using the oven. Dgs#2 suggested that we have the casserole every Sunday night. He also said that if he could use a microwave, he would love to take the leftovers to school for lunch. It did me good to see them enjoy the meal. Not saying that we don't do the hot dogs, burgers or other easy things they like.

If dh and I are out and about and it gets to be eating time, we will stop off to eat. Last winter think we ate at home more than we ate out.

When the grandsons are here, we eat at the table and try to gently work on the manners. If it is pizza, we do tend to eat in front of the TV. If they are here on a Sat. or Sun. morning, usually have a big breakfast.

I do wish I was a better cook. Don't plan nearly enough. Do want to get some spaghetti sauce and soup etc. in the freezer for times when time is in short supply.

Holidays that are food centered are coming up. Time to bring out some tablecloths and good glassware. Dgs#2 loves the inexpensive stemmed water glasses. Hope they remember the special touches when they are older. They don't eat together at a table at home. One reason I try to do it here.

I was in a sewing class years ago and the topic of sewing in home ec came up. Most said that their home ec teacher kept them from sewing for years and almost turned them permanently. These were a few that came back to it, but wondered how many didn't sew in later years at all. Don't think the cooking lessons were very good. When I lived at home, wasn't interested in learning. Still can't make a decent gravy. Think if my late Mom had had the larger kitchen she had when my younger sisters were at home, would have learned a little more. When I was growing up we had a very small kitchen. Moved into a larger house house the same year I got married. My middle sister learned more cooking from Mom than I took advantage to learn. Call her sometimes when I have a question about something she learned from Mom and I didn't.

Didn't mean to write so much.

Strings

Friends divide our sorrows and multiply our joys.

Posts: 6173 | Registered: Sep 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of katiemedarlin
posted Hide Post
This was a very interesting topic.

I think we all choose to make time for the things that are important to us. Food is important - I want to make sure that we have nutritious and tasty meals. I leave for work at 5:45 am and get home by 6 pm every day. My DH is disabled, so I'm kind of 'it'. But we have a sit down dinner 6 days a week ( I NEVER cook on Fridays). I cook 3 meals a day on the weekends and pre-make breakfasts then also. I make use of the crockpot and since it's only the two of use, I usually make enough to put one meal aside in the freezer for the nights I'm just too worn out to cook. It can be done, you just have to make room for the things that are important to you. And if it's not, then you won't.

As for Pampered Chef - I love the stoneware and have a couple pieces. I agree it's pretty expensive, but there was a time that I seemed to be invited to these parties all the time. Now I live farther away and it's just too far to go.

Happy is a choice.

GO RAVENS!!!

Posts: 3996 | Location: Maryland | Registered: Sep 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post