Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Food & Entertaining
  Can I use Olive Oil in cake mix
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can I use Olive Oil in cake mix Sign In/Join 
posted
Don't want to go backout, but I'm out of vegatableoil. Can I substitute olove oil?

Posts: 494 | Location: Cape Cod  | Registered: Oct 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Depending on the Olive oil, some has more of distinctive flavor than others, probably safe with Extra Virgin type. If the cake is chocolate, you might not notice the difference, regardless.

Posts: 9616 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Conrad, going for it- it is a chocolate cake and it is extra virgin oil---Thanks!

Posts: 494 | Location: Cape Cod  | Registered: Oct 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of junk collector
posted Hide Post
I've done it. I use evoo for most things and don't notice a difference, though most cakes I make aren't delicate in flavor.

Posts: 3276 | Registered: Aug 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CA Lori
posted Hide Post
There's a recipe for chocolate cake that uses mayo. I'd be more inclined to use that. I think applesauce is also used in cakes instead of oil.

Please let us know how the olive oil worked out.

Posts: 5991 | Location: Calif. | Registered: Sep 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
You've made the cake. I've used olive oil in place of vegetable oil but only if it is a really mild oil. I've had some that weren't and the cake batter tasted "off" (you could taste the olive). I've also melted butter and used that if I have found myself out of veg oil.

So it came out all right?

Martha

Posts: 5940 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of joyluck
posted Hide Post
Some extra virgin olive oils have a great deal of flavor and are best used in foods where that enhances the flavor of the dish. If a person wants to use olive oil that has little, or very mild, flavor it's best to use light olive oil which has been well filtered.

That said, in a chocolate cake I doubt too many people could detect even a strong olive oil flavor.

I use olive oil in almost anything, altho I am definitely not a purist.

Lucky

"I have always had an aversion to the concepts of in style and out of style." ~Rose Tarlow

Inspirational pics: http://inspiration4u.shutterfly.com/

Posts: 12736 | Location: north of 50 in Canada zone3b | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Seaborne
posted Hide Post
Of course, you can use olive oil - wherever the recipe calls for vegetable oil. But even if the recipe says butter, oil could be substituted. In parts of the world, only olive oil is available - if the climate is too hot, or too rocky - or no grassis available for feeding, then no cows can be grazed or kept - and thus - no butter. Well - in those parts of the world, it's usually the olive tree which provides the liquid gold for cooking - and even baking.

Seaborne

Posts: 1139 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: Nov 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post