Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Food & Entertaining
  Chocolates for Gifts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chocolates for Gifts Sign In/Join 
Picture of nance425
posted
I suggested Abdullah chocolates for Linderhof to try if she comes back to MN and she suggested Christopher Elbow Chocolates in Kansas City.
Abdullah's are made in MN:
http://www.abdallahcandies.com/retailstore.cfm

Do you think the chocolates from either company would hold up if I had them sent as a gift?

Martha, those CE chocolates look awesome! Can you suggest something from the collection for an 88 y.o.?

I'm always looking for a unique gift for my dad for BD's, Christmas, etc. I've got until mid August to decide on something. Smile He usually gets Outback certificates from us, which he loves. But he does love chocolate AND nuts!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: nance425,

Posts: 4582 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: Dec 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
I know the Elbow chocolates will because they ship them very carefully. I send them to my DD and SIL in Minneapolis ALL the time (well, actually just for the candy holidays but there are several during the year) and they always arrive in perfect condition!

If your Dad loves chocolate and nuts the Elbow turtles are TDF! I've included those sometimes with the assorted chocolates!

Martha

Posts: 5833 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
We've send chocolates as gifts before, but only during the cooler months. I'd never attempt it during the summer.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6543 | Location: Northwest Florida | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
Just wondering if you can find a local chocolatier or bakery that does chocolate where your DD lives? Maybe even a chocolate bouquet of regular candy bars?

Posts: 16979 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Sherry -- Elbow chocolates are sooo good that it is worth sending them -- you just ahve to order early in the week -- they won't ship if the shipment won't get there before the weekend!

Martha

Posts: 5833 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
I just brought up the local thing because of shipping chocolate during the summer heat.

Posts: 16979 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
If the packaging is airtight from the store it should ship fine anytime. Think about candybars at the ballpark - as long as it's in the sealed wrapper it won't melt.

Posts: 2733 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Nov 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nance425
posted Hide Post
I'm gonna try it this year. Those Elbow chocolates sound like just the right gift, Martha! And I will tell him how to savor every lil bite, since he's used to getting "cheapy" chocolates. Smile

Posts: 4582 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: Dec 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The better chocolate shops will not ship during the summer months. They would have to send it with dry ice to make certain that it wouldn't melt. It simply gets too hot in the delivery trucks, cargo areas, etc. If you want chocolate in the warmer months, it's better to go to a local shop.

Posts: 3177 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Feb 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Here's the info from the Elbow website about their shipping methods and they DO ship all year -- but they won't ship where it will sit over the weekend.

Shipping chocolates to arrive in perfect condition can be challenging, but don’t worry, we have been doing it successfully for a long time. Please familiarize yourself with our shipping rates and policies before you order:
Standard Shipping Rates
Shipping Method
Standard Ground* (1-5 business days)
2nd Day Air* (2 business days)
Overnight (Next Business Day)
Saturday Delivery
Alaska or Hawaii

Only these methods may be used when weather allows.
∗∗
Shipping rates are calculated per package, if you are shipping to more than one recipient, then additional shipping charges will apply for each shipment.
∗∗∗
Delivery timelines do not take unexpected weather delays into consideration, which may affect delivery timelines, ship dates and arrival dates. We cannot be held responsible for delays due to weather, incorrect address provided to us or other circumstances beyond our control.
Order Processing
We try hard to get orders placed before 3:00pm EST out the next day but occasionally during peak holiday seasons, it might take 24-48 hours to get your order shipped. If you place your order by overnight or 2nd day air, those take priority over ground shipments and we will process those first. If you need your order by an certain date, then please call 816-842-1300 and we will help you with your order.>
Shipping Over the Weekend
Most of our shipments are shipped early in the week in order to avoid having the chocolates sit over the weekend in an unconditioned warehouse. If you are shipping a package to a warm weather destination over a weekend, your package may be held until the following Monday to ensure minimal time in transit. If the weather permits, we may ship to arrive on a Monday.
Packaging
We go to great measures to ensure that our chocolate is delivered fresh and in good condition. To reduce the risk of melted chocolate on orders in transit to warmer climates (65 degrees and higher), we use insulated packaging and gel packs to protect the chocolates. It can get very hot in the back of a delivery truck!
Delivery Times for Businesses & Residences
FedEx is our preferred shipping vendor. All of our shipping vendors only deliver on business days, unless Saturday delivery is specified (where available, additional charges apply). Our shipping vendors may require a signature for delivery at the discretion of the driver. Deliveries to businesses occur between 9 am and 5 pm, and deliveries to residences occur between 9 am and 7 pm.

NOTE: WE'VE SHIPPED LOTS OF CHOCOLATES FROM ELBOW AND THEY'VE ALWAYS ARRIVED AS PRISTINE AS THEY ARE IN THE SHOP!

MARTHA

Picture of nance425
posted Hide Post
thanks so much for that shipping info, Martha.

I had a problem with "David" candy that I received as a gift once. When I contacted them about it, they sent a replacement that was much better and more expensive. I'll see how the weather is closer to my decision date.