Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Food & Entertaining
  Recipes for hot banana peppers anyone?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recipes for hot banana peppers anyone? Sign In/Join 
Picture of peppyun
posted
I purchased a green pepper plant last year and ended up having both green peppers and hot banana peppers in the same container. I have so many hot banana peppers and no idea what to do with them. Does anyone have any recipes that I could use them in as one of the main ingredients?

Posts: 1043 | Location: Florida | Registered: Jan 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jo-CT
posted Hide Post
Sausage and peppers with onions on grinders
Peppers and eggs (like an omlette)
Fajitas

How hot are they?

Posts: 1314 | Location: Southwestern, CT | Registered: Aug 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CA Lori
posted Hide Post
I would guess, on a scale of 1-10, I'd give it a 4. I don't like "hot" but this doesn't leave me with a burning tongue like some salsa recipes do.

Posts: 5880 | Location: Calif. | Registered: Sep 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of peppyun
posted Hide Post
They are a 6. Definitely a 6.

Posts: 1043 | Location: Florida | Registered: Jan 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jo-CT
posted Hide Post
I'm not one for hot/spicey food so I'm not much help! I did make a great bean salad over Memorial Day weekend that had a little jalepeno pepper and diced green pepper in it. I would think your peppers would sub for the two of them. It was called Mississippi Caviar. Made with black beans, black eyed peas,& corn. I'll post the recipe if you're interested.

Posts: 1314 | Location: Southwestern, CT | Registered: Aug 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
I love banana peppers - hot or sweet. I'm wondering if you could use a candied jalapeno recipe substituting the banana peppers? The candied jalapenos are great with pork (IMHO) or some people pour a jar over a slab of cream cheese and serve with crackers.

Posts: 16466 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Spanish Revival
posted Hide Post
I don't know if your peppers are big enough but... I cut this type of pepper length wise, scoop out the seeds and vein. Soak in white vinegar, salt and a little sugar. When the marinade has permeated the pepper and the pepper is supple I stuff it with tuna fish salad and use as an hor d'oeuvres.

Posts: 908 | Location: Florida | Registered: Aug 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post