Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Food & Entertaining
  "Tarting" Up A Plain Dessert Into Christmas
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Tarting" Up A Plain Dessert Into Christmas Sign In/Join 
Picture of Linderhof
posted
I had company for lunch today. It is the Ad vent season and the Christ mas china has come out. I felt we needed a "Christ max" dessert. To my regular chocolate ganache cake, I added sugared cranberries and sugared rosemary to the top of each piece. It WAS edible as well!

But it does look like Christ mas doesn't it?

Martha

Posts: 6344 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Spanish Revival
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Linderhof:

But it does look like Christ mas doesn't it?

Martha

I think it's beautiful! How did you make the Rosemary edible?

Posts: 1022 | Location: Florida | Registered: Aug 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gorgeous!

Posts: 83 | Registered: Sep 08, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Rosemary's always edible. Did you mean how did I "frost" it? Dipped in egg white and then sprinkled regular granulated sugar on top.

Martha

Posts: 6344 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Seaborne
posted Hide Post
The decorations are lovely - lots of ways to decorate plain desserts at this time of year. But what I want to know is this recipe for the chocolate Ganache cake/torte - please - that's what looks good.

Seaborne

Posts: 1221 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: Nov 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post

Posts: 17369 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
It's Ina Garten's chocolate ganache cake -- the recipe I use most often for a decadant chocolate cake. It's easy and oh, so good!

Martha

INA GARTEN’S CHOCOLATE GANACHE CAKE

1/4 lb butter, at room temperature
1 cup sugar
4 eggs, at room temperature
1 (16 ounce) cans hershey chocolate syrup
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
1 cup all-purpose flour
GANACHE:
1/2 cup heavy cream
8 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 teaspoon instant coffee granules
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
Butter and flour an 8 inch round cake pan, then the bottom with parchment paper.
Cream the butter and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment until light and fluffy.
Add the eggs one at a time.
Mix in the syrup and vanilla.
Add the flour and mix until JUST combined (overbeating with make the cake too tough).
Pour the batter into the pan and bake for 40-45 minutes, or until just set in the middle.
Let cool thoroughly in the pan.
GANACHE:
For the ganache, cook the heavy cream, chocolate chips, and coffee in the top of a double boiler over simmering water until smooth and warm, stirring occasionally.
Place the cake upside down on a wire rack and pour the glaze evenly over the top, making sure to cover the entire cake and sides.
You can tilt the rack to smooth the glaze.
Do not refrigerate.

Picture of Seaborne
posted Hide Post
Thank you for sending the recipe. I probably have it in one of her cookbooks - somewhere. Sounds easy - and chocolatey!

Seaborne

Posts: 1221 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: Nov 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
It is, it is! And almost as easy as a cake mix!

Martha

posted Hide Post
Looks like something from a magazine. Just beautiful.

Posts: 1144 | Registered: Jan 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Lu

Martha

Picture of Spanish Revival
posted Hide Post
I realize Rosemary is edible, it's one of my favorite herbs, I was wondering if you did something to its raw state to make it pleasant to eat b/c the leaves are somewhat woody.

Posts: 1022 | Location: Florida | Registered: Aug 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
No -- just egg white and sugar. No one ate theirs but you could.

Martha