Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Food & Entertaining
  Need a new hand mixer
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need a new hand mixer Sign In/Join 
Picture of junk collector
posted
My hand mixer gave up the ghost on Sunday Frown

Any recommendations? Light use (I do most recipes by hand mixing) for cakes and cookies - creaming the butter/sugar/eggs type of work.

Posts: 3271 | Registered: Aug 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
The old standby, Sunbeam, if you can find it. I still have the one given to me WAY back when in 1969. It still works, too, but doesn't get used much 'cause I have a Kitchen Aid.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6586 | Location: Northwest Florida | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
I have a Braun I bought when my old mixer, probably a Sunbeam, died years ago.

I like the weight, it has a spot for the whip and it has a burst of speed in addition to the 3 speeds.

Fun and Info

Posts: 3514 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
I like both my Kitchen Aides - upright and hand held mixers.
My only advice would be: don't by your new hand held mixer at an outlet mall.
I went through 3 of those ( different brands besides) in very quick succession before I wised up.

IMHO - Outlet Mall = off load the damaged goods, inspection failures, new model lemons and seconds, etc.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Lurah,

Posts: 2749 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Nov 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lurah:
I like both my Kitchen Aides - upright and hand held mixers.
My only advice would be: don't by your new hand held mixer at an outlet mall.
I went through 3 of those ( different brands besides) in very quick succession before I wised up.

IMHO - Outlet Mall = off load the damaged goods, inspection failures, new model lemons and seconds, etc.

I got a really great deal years ago on my Kitchen Aide stand mixer at an outlet mall. It was a factory refurbished model and has served me well over the years.

Fun and Info

Posts: 3514 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My hand mixer is a GE model 169204 I bought about 3 years ago. I like it because it will go thru thick cookie dough.

Posts: 7032 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
I still have my 1971 avocado green Sunbeam. I dropped it one day and thought I would have to hold a sad funeral, but popped in what popped out and all was well.

I started doing some research and as much as I wanted to purchase a KitchenAid hand mixer, I found that they are not made in the USA. So if I was going to have to buy an import, I went on reviews. The Cuisinart hand mixers hand better reviews than the KA mixers. Right now I don't know if I got the 5 or 7 speed...but I love it! Talk about power! I did not realize how weak the motor in my old Sunbeam had gotten.

(Looking at reviews on Amazon just now - the KitchenAid reviews have come up from a couple of years ago and are comparable or better than the Cuisinart...and they have a red mixer. DANG!! I may have to go home and drop the white Cuisinart. Wink )

Posts: 17055 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KeepYouInStitches:
I still have my 1971 avocado green Sunbeam. I dropped it one day and thought I would have to hold a sad funeral, but popped in what popped out and all was well.

LOL - this one broke and I said to myself "HMMMMM where the heck is that ol' green mixer with the broken handle????" Seriously, I don't know what happened to it other than (maybe) when DH and I consolidated households, it went bye-bye! It must have been 70's - no doubt. Don't even know how I acquired it!

OK - you all have given me several options to consider. Hopefully I'll have a new one this Saturday!

posted Hide Post
I told DH about this discussion and that I found that the KA mixer reviews have equaled or surpassed the Cuisinart and KA made a red hand mixer. Such a shame I just bought the Cuisinart a couple of years ago...I can't order a red KA. He asked, "Why not?" Smile

Nice wasn't it. I'm too frugal. Now...if one of the kids decides they need a new hand mixer, I'll give them the Cuisinart and get a RED KITCHENAID! Big Grin

Posts: 17055 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CA Lori
posted Hide Post
I have a black 5-speed handheld Kitchen Aid and am very satisfied with it. It's probably about 3 years old. My old white counter top Kitchen Aid must be at least 30 years old, if not more.

Posts: 5984 | Location: Calif. | Registered: Sep 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Spanish Revival
posted Hide Post
I've had my Sunbeam hand mixer for maaaaannyy years, it's still kickin'!

Posts: 975 | Location: Florida | Registered: Aug 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I went to Macy's yesterday as they were having their "One day Sale" (right) and by the time I found the mixers, there was only ONE left and it had been opened Frown

Now I need to find another place to pick up a Cuisinart - but the price was so low......

sigh

posted Hide Post

posted Hide Post
Thanks KYIS - I had checked before I hit Macy's. I did find an Oster at W-mart today. 7 speed + turbo, beaters, whisk, dough hooks, and storage case (bonus!) all for 29.99.

All in all, I'm pretty happy with the choice, but wish I had picked it up yesterday as there was a bunch of bad bananas to turn to bread. There wasn't time this afternoon for baking, so I mashed and stashed in the freezer. Maybe this week sometime....

Thanks for your help!

posted Hide Post
I just wanted to pop in and give an update on the Oster I purchased a few weeks ago (in case anyone wanted a review or is in the market!)

I used it for the first time this a.m. and it is fantastic! We had waffles for breakfast (using my new Krups waffle iron - also fantastic fyi - I think all my kitchen items died at the same time) so I used the whisk attachment for the egg whites. Lovely lovely results!

Also used the regular beaters on the batter prior to adding the whites. Again, great mixer and I'm able to balance it on the bowl hands free.