Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Macaroni Salad Sign In/Join 
Picture of wannaquilt2
posted
Please share what ingredients are in your macaroni salad. I don't need an actual recipe or quantities unless you choose to. :-)

"We are all here.....because we are not all there."

Posts: 1933 | Location: Hither & Yon | Registered: Sep 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I make the same dressing as I would for potato salad: mayo, mustard, sweet relish, stuffed olives, but just one boiled egg, yolk mashed, white minced.

Posts: 3411 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
I don't make macaroni salad (neither does my mom) but we've eaten it at potluck picnics -- I thought it was like potato salad with egg, relish, onion and the mayo/mustard sauce over all.

I do, however, make pasta salad with lots of veggies (whatever is cheap and colorful) and an oil and vinegar dressing.

Martha

Posts: 5905 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kathy_in_wlsv
posted Hide Post
.. macaroni salad

Always:

some kind/shape pasta
hard boiled eggs
celery
finely minced onion
finely minced green peppers

mayo
mustard
salt, pepper

sometimes:
tuna
baby shrimp
canned crab
spam
cheese

every now and then when I make too much mac and cheese I turn it into a tuna mac/chesse salad.. rince in hot water, add tuna, mayo etc. makes a very different flavor.

Life is GOOD!!

Posts: 1561 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: Nov 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
Someone posted the link to this recipe a few months ago. I'm not a big fan of macaroni salads but this stuff hooked me big time. I can eat it by the bucket. I do make a couple of changes to the original recipe - 1. I like using Cavatappi rather than regular elbow macaroni. 2. I like using equal parts light mayo, lt. sour cream and lt Miracle whip (or store brand. and 3. I use much less sugar - I put in about 2 tablespoons.

Amish Macaroni Salad
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cook Time: 10 Minutes
Ready In: 1 Hour 25 Minutes
Servings: 6

Ingredients:
2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
3 hard-cooked eggs, chopped
1 small onion, chopped
3 stalks celery, chopped
1 small red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
2 tablespoons dill pickle relish
2 cups creamy salad dressing (e.g. Miracle Whip)
3 tablespoons prepared yellow mustard
3/4 cup white sugar
2 1/4 teaspoons white vinegar
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon celery seed

Directions:
1. Bring a pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add macaroni, and cook for 8 to 10 minutes, until tender. Drain, and set aside to cool.

2. In a large bowl, stir together the eggs, onion, celery, red pepper, and relish. In a small bowl, stir together the salad dressing, mustard, white sugar, vinegar, salt and celery seed. Pour over the vegetables, and stir in macaroni until well blended. Cover and chill for at least 1 hour before serving.

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © 2013 Allrecipes.com Printed from Allrecipes.com 9/24/2013

Fun and Info

Posts: 3511 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Whenever a recipe calls for macaroni or elbow noodles, I use shells.

Posts: 3411 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wannaquilt2
posted Hide Post
Thx to everyone! Macaroni salad is the one dish I do not have confidence in making and mainly needed to know your ingredients. Charming, I appreciate you taking the time to post the full recipe. :-)

"We are all here.....because we are not all there."

Posts: 1933 | Location: Hither & Yon | Registered: Sep 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Charming's sounds awesome.

Posts: 780 | Registered: Sep 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Charming I use a very similar recipe but it calls for much less sugar, does not have the celery seed and also calls for some French dressing as well. I use about a 1/4 of a cup but if I don't have it I just eliminate it. I will try it with celery seed next time I make it.

Posts: 42 | Registered: Feb 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
Mine is more like Kathy_wlsv. No eggs though. And I add a teaspoonful of Ranch dressing mix...the herbs and stuff. Shrimp is the preferred addition with some capers and grated cheddar.

Posts: 17049 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Macaroni salad served in scooped out green pepper or red pepper shells is fun.

Picture of Jo-CT
posted Hide Post
Mine is totally different but it's what we grew up on.If I don't make it this way then we're eating some that I got at the store.

Cooked and drained pasta (shells or elbows)
large scoop of sweet relish
s&p
shredded carrot
2 small cans of drained and shredded solid white tuna
mayo to bind it all. About a cup

Posts: 1323 | Location: Southwestern, CT | Registered: Aug 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Mine is similar to Charmings.

ELBOW MACARONI
CERERY
GREEN AND/OR RED PEPPER
CELERY SEED
HARD BOILED EGGS
SALT/PEPPER
MAYO
MUSTARD
SOMETIMES PICKLE RELISH
CHOPPED GREEN OLIVES
ONION

I often sprinkle paprika on top.

Posts: 18676 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AC Fan:
Charming I use a very similar recipe but it calls for much less sugar, does not have the celery seed and also calls for some French dressing as well. I use about a 1/4 of a cup but if I don't have it I just eliminate it. I will try it with celery seed next time I make it.

I skip the celery seed and sometimes the celery. I also only use about 2 Tablespoons of sugar.

Fun and Info

Posts: 3511 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
Macaroni salad is very simple in our house. This is the way dmil made it so I adopted the recipe too.

Add chopped onions and carrots with the cooked elbow macaroni. Dressing is He*llman's mayo with a splash of vinegar.

Enjoy trying the different recipes!

~Like sands through the hourglass
~So are the days of our lives

Posts: 9438 | Registered: Oct 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quiltzilla
posted Hide Post
DMIL made an amazing mac salad.
It had macaroni.
chopped celery,
shredded carrot,
vinegar,
mayo, salt & pepper,
baby canned shrimp.
I can almost taste it right now.

Posts: 6658 | Registered: Aug 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maryim
posted Hide Post
Elbow macaroni (8 oz. cooked - 2c uncooked)
2c celery
1 med. onion
radishes - a little less than a bag
1 -2 cucumbers
tomatoes - about a pint of cherry halved
mayo S&P to taste
2 cans shrimp - mix a ittle of the shrimp liquid into the salad - adds to the flavor.
Add shrimp last as they tend to crumble.

Posts: 5423 | Location: Maryland | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Becky56
posted Hide Post
Macaroni
Hellmans
Boiled eggs
Chopped homemade sweet pickles
Chopped bell pepper
Grated cheddar cheese
Diced tomatoes(fresh, not canned!)
Dash of onion powder(gives the flavor without leaving the taste in your mouth the rest of the day)
This is also good the nest day to add tuna or chicken chunks to it the next day for a good lunch dish. We like it that way with some saltines.

Posts: 3267 | Location: Bama G.R.I.T.S. | Registered: Jun 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
First, I prefer bow tie pasta. I use fat free Miracle Whip to keep the fat content down. Sugar, four eggs, apple cider vinegar. Also, love celery so I add extra and I also chop the leaves from the celery stalks and add those. I also like to add in a little garlic salt and can of well drained tuna.

Classic Foods

Posts: 93 | Location: Killeen, Texas | Registered: Jul 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post