Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Food & Entertaining
  Seeking a crowd pleasing summer dessert for a picnic gathering at friends
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Seeking a crowd pleasing summer dessert for a picnic gathering at friends Sign In/Join 
Picture of Froo Froo
posted
Hi fellow foodies. This is a hamburger type affair at someone's home with ten to twelve adult couples in attendance. The hostess prefers I bake since I have done so in the past. I am avoiding anything that requires refrigeration. I thought something with fruit or fruit sauce but desire something less expected than strawberry shortcake or cobbler. TIA.

Posts: 18447 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
One of my favs for this type of affair is two sheet cakes -- a Texas sheet cake -- chocolate and a White Texas sheet cake (almond). Everyone seems to like it, it's easy to make and doesn't need refrigeration. I often put pansies on each piece of cake to make it more "festive". You can google both and get recipes -- they've been around "forever"!

Martha

Posts: 5435 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CA Lori
posted Hide Post
I've made the chocolate Texas Sheet Cake for years. It's easy and a crowd-pleaser. Another choice would be some sort of a bundt cake, Kahlua Chocolate maybe.

Posts: 5887 | Location: Calif. | Registered: Sep 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
I just found a recipe for a strawberry cake that has strawberries baked in it. It makes a one layer cake in a spring form pan but could be easily doubled or tripled for a larger group. It is really good with ice cream or whipped cream.

Posts: 3409 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
If you'd like I would be happy to post a White Sheet Cake recipe that is a family favourite. If I recall it has buttermilk in both cake and frosting.
A great companion to Texas Sheet Cake brownies.
Both serve neatly when cut into squares and can be eaten from your hand if you have to while standing up.

But I'm guessing you might be looking for something to offer that doesn't look like a cake mix was used for dessert!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Lurah,

Posts: 2642 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Nov 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quiltzilla
posted Hide Post
Cookies are great for a backyard barbeque. Much easier for transport & everyone loves cookies!

Posts: 6628 | Registered: Aug 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love making a flag cake for summer BBQs. It doesn't matter whether it's a specific patriotic holiday or not. Somehow, summer BBQs seems particularly American to me.
http://www.foodnetwork.com/rec...ke-recipe/index.html

Posts: 1738 | Registered: Aug 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
Slab Pie - It can be eaten out-of-hand no plate or fork needed!

Here's my recipe. The crust is to die for!!! You can substitute any fruit!

Apricot Cherry Slab Pie

3 1/4 cups Flour
1 teaspoon Salt
1 cup Shortening
1 Egg Yolk
Milk
1/2 cup Sugar
3 tablespoons Cornstarch
3 (15 1/4 oz) cans apricot halves, drained and cut into quarters
1 (16-oz) can pitted tart red cherries, drained

1. For pastry, in a large mixing bowl stir together the flour and salt. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Lightly beat egg yolk in a glass measuring cup. Add enough milk to egg yolk to make 3/4 cup total liquid; mix well. Stir egg yolk mixture into flour mixture; mix well. Set aside one-third of the dough.
2. On a lightly floured surface, roll remaining two-thirds of dough into an 18x12-inch rectangle. To transfer pastry, carefully wrap it around the rolling pin; unroll into a 14x10x1-inch baking pan (pastry will hang over edges of pan). Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
3. In a large bowl combine sugar and cornstarch. Stir in apricots and cherries. Spoon into the prepared crust.
4. Roll the remaining dough into a 16x11-inch rectangle; place over fruit. Bring bottom pastry up and over top pastry. Seal edges with the tines of a fork. *****LOL (pr*ick) top pastry over entire surface with the tines of a fork.
5. Bake about 40 minutes or until golden brown. Cool in pan on a wire rack. Serve warm or cool. Drizzle with Vanilla Glaze. Cut into 2x3-inch bars.

Vanilla Glaze: In a small bowl combine 1 1/4 cups sifted powdered sugar, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla, and enough water (5-6 teaspoons) to make drizzling consistency.

Note: I used two large cans of sliced peaches instead of apricots...couldn't find any apricots in the store.

Posts: 16571 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Thanks to everyone who offered suggestions. I guess I am hoping for a tried and true unique summer dessert tho. I love the element of surprise, steering clear of the normal fare and a memorable presentation and taste bud experience. Sounds like a tall order, but that's just me.Smile BTW, I have found some possible bundt cake candidates, but was hoping for a dessert recipe highly recommended from my buds here. Please keep them coming.

CORRECTION regarding a head count...10-12 adults.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Froo Froo,

Posts: 18447 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
I love puff pastry tarts with seasonal fruits.

Here's any easy and yummy recipe that makes individual tarts. You could substitute plums. http://artofdessert.blogspot.c...-peach-tartlets.html

Some more puff pastry dessert ideas: http://www.puffpastry.com/reci...ategory/183/seasonal

Posts: 5169 | Registered: Jul 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I serve a platter of fruit with a dip made with a small package of instant vanilla pudding combined with an eight oz. container of cool-whip and 1/3 cup amaretto. I also serve an ice cream bar- bowls of vanilla ice cream with various help-yourself toppings. Both choices are easy to make and so good.

Posts: 81 | Registered: Apr 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
FrooFroo - I found a list I'd drawn up, erased a few that don't work in the summer and here's what's left, all from scratch:
Lemon Pound Cakes (Individual) glazed or serve with fresh berries.
Apple Dumplings
Beehive Peaches
Cream Puffs
Toll House Pie
Peaches & Cream Pie
Rhubarb Torte - even folks who think they don't like rhurbarb will LOVE this!
Strawberry Mousse Dessert
Banana Split Dessert
Peach Melba
Baklava

Or some great bar & cookie scratch recipes:
Almond Dream Bars
Apple Pie Squares
Blonde Brownies
Coconut Cupcakes
Cream Cheese Chocolate Cupcakes
Petite Orange Cupcakes
Oatmeal Cake with Broiled Icing
Apricot Spritzkuchen
Sour Cream Raisin Bars
Turtle Dove Bars
Tassies – many types of fillings
Shortbread

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Lurah,

Posts: 2642 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Nov 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nance425
posted Hide Post
quote:
White Sheet Cake recipe that is a family favourite.

I would love your recipe, Lurah. I've made the chocolate one but would love to try the white one.

FF: How about turtle brownies?

Posts: 4582 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: Dec 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
I've love Lurah's as well -- my chocolate has buttermilk but my white has sour cream and almond flavoring -- would love to try a buttermilk version of the white!

Martha

Posts: 5435 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Thanks all. Lurah, you are a list person after my own heart. Wink I am still considering a few options. What are beehive peaches?

Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
I might try this cutie..if not for this event, certainly by summer's end. Anyone ever bake a similar cake?
http://birdonacake.blogspot.co...n-flavored-cake.html

The orange creamsicle cupcakes look tasty too.

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
FrooFroo -- I think you've nailed it!!!! It's a perfect cake for a Summer picnic! Only thing is that if it's outdoors and it's hot, the icing may melt if it stays outside on a buffet table for very long (happened to several cakes at a 4th of July picnic last year and they were in the shade -- the icing just oozed down so they weren't pretty anymore)

I'm going to make it this year sometime -- it's perfect and so cute!

Martha

Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Oh, rest assured, if I bring this cutie, it will remain under the AC. Smile. BTW, there are cupcake versions of this on the NET.

Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Dang!!! This is an 8" two layer cake so not enough for 10-12 adults. Maybe I will make the cupcake version tho not as realistic. Hmmm....

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
I think a 8 inch two layer cake should serve 10-12 adults -- slices are thiner because they're getting TWO layers (a one layer cake I think could serve 8 but six would be a better size piece) . . . or you could make TWO one layer cakes and that would serve 12 -- if you cut it in sixes -- it just wouldn't be as tall.

Martha

Picture of Seaborne
posted Hide Post
Various versions and photographs of Lemon Tarts:
http://www.google.com/search?q...sAQ&biw=1066&bih=459

Seaborne

Posts: 985 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: Nov 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
Friends,
Here is my mom's recipe for White Sheet Cake.
I hope you enjoy this as much as our family does.

White Sheet Cake
20 servings
Cake
½ cup Crisco – do not substitute
2 cups sugar
3 egg whites
1 teaspoon soda
1 teaspoon salt
3 cups flour
1¾ cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon almond extract
1 teaspoon vanilla
Grease and flour a jellyroll pan, set aside. Preheat oven to 350°.
In large bowl of electric mixer, cream together the Crisco and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg whites one at a time and beat well after each addition. Combine the dry ingredients. Add flavorings to buttermilk and add alternately to the creamed mixture with the dry ingredients, beginning and ending with the flour, do not over mix. Pour into prepared jellyroll pan. Bake 30 – 35 minutes.

Frosting
½ cup butter
¼ cup buttermilk
3 1/3 cups (1 pound) powdered sugar
½ teaspoon almond extract
½ teaspoon vanilla
Heat butter and buttermilk in medium saucepan until butter is melted. Remove from heat and stir in the powdered sugar and flavorings. Beat well until smooth. Frost cooled sheet cake.

Picture of nance425
posted Hide Post
Thanks so much Lurah. The only thing I never have is Crisco. I usually bake with butter or veg oil. Hmmm.

Posts: 4582 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: Dec 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Seaborne:
Various versions and photographs of Lemon Tarts:
http://www.google.com/search?q...sAQ&biw=1066&bih=459

Oh, yeah. I'll take one of each. I prefer this kind of easily transported, individually portioned dessert for a crowd. But, that's just me.

Posts: 5169 | Registered: Jul 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Seaborne
posted Hide Post
Aren't they wonderful Aych? Me too. I'm making a Key Lime Pie dessert today - for a party tomorrow - and also for Father's Day. I'll make a double batch and fill up a pie plate and then make smaller tarts too.

Seaborne

Posts: 985 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: Nov 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Seaborne
posted Hide Post
Any kind of filling can be used for tartlets - line muffin tins with graham cracker crumb mixture (sugar & butter) - bake a while - then add the filling - bake if necessary, or refrigerate, depending on the recipe. Then, adding fresh fruit to decorate and individualize can make them colorful and inviting.

Seaborne

Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
I used to make a very easy strawberry (jam) almond individual tarts. It is in the Fanny Farmer cook book

Everybody loves this.

Or what about pudding (with or without additives) served in flat bottomed ice cream cones?

I think it would be easier to not have to cut something. Individual desserts allow you to know exactly how many servings you will have.

Posts: 12214 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
I appreciate everyone's suggestions but I can not consider any that require refrigeration. Seems there are a ton of summer desserts, I have some tried and true hits, that require refrigeration.

I may make the lemon flower shaped tarts using store bought lemon curd. When I first saw them on the Web, I thought, "How cute!" They were also featured on the Pinterest link. I have a great crust recipe using vodka that comes out super flaky too.

That being said, if anyone has a fav summertime from scratch dessert, I'm listening. Wink BTW, I think someone is bringing a fruit salad.

Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
quote:
That being said, if anyone has a fav summertime from scratch dessert, I'm listening.

Just gave you one Froo! And mine wouldn't be anymore imperiled by the weather than lemon curd!

Posts: 12214 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Seaborne
posted Hide Post
Lemon curd is a great idea - cream cheese crust is really easy to make and foolproof - recipes all over the place. Just add some berries - blueberries or raspberries - will look wonderful.

Seaborne

Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
seaborne, the suggestion to use cream cheese crust sounds deeeelish so I wasted no time scouting recipes. The Epicurious site's seems ideal. I am concerned that some site reviews reported shrinkage tho. Do you have a tried and true recipe you could share?

Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Thanks again for taking the time to come to my aid everyone!

Picture of Seaborne
posted Hide Post
So sorry, Froo Froo, that I didn't see your request earlier. I have made tartlets in quantity for various group occasions - and I've used the extra small muffin cups - and be sure to mold them carefully - and that the dough is not too soft. Then you shouldn't have any trouble with them shrinking - try to anchor them a bit at the top. I'll post the recipe in the next frame.

Seaborne

Picture of Seaborne
posted Hide Post
Recipe for cream cheese crust: 1 cup flour, 1 stick butter, 1-3 oz. cream cheese. Mix butter and cream cheese thoroughly - gradually add glour. Roll pieces into balls and chill for 1 hour. Press into miniature muffin tart / pans. If you're making a large quantity - this recipe needs to be increased.

Seaborne

Picture of Seaborne
posted Hide Post
Sorry - typo: "flour" - not glour.

Seaborne

Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
I would probably bake a pie as so many people don't bake them. A homemade fruit pie or two is always special.

Posts: 7086 | Registered: Apr 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Seaborne
posted Hide Post
I agree - I make berry pies for summer parties. But, the Key Lime Pie I made for a bridge party two days ago was very well received - and it was easy. I tripled the graham cracker crust and filling recipes to make a 9-1/2 " pie - and a Corning Ware 8-inch casserole.

Seaborne

Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Cocok,I agree that few bake pies these days, but I think I am leaning toward individual servings so not to create more dishes for the hostess.

Thanks for the crust recipe. It is very simple compared to the ones I have found. I don't think I will make mini tarts tho as I did for their last gathering and there did not seem to be enough for seconds or thirds for everyone.

Picture of Seaborne
posted Hide Post
Just make sure to double / triple / the recipe as needed - and then do it again. It really is a fool-proof recipe - bake ahead & fill and decorate - lovely idea.

Seaborne

Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
Is there a reason you can't bring a large cooler with ice packs to keep the desert cool? That gives you a lot more options.

Posts: 3409 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Follow-up as gathering was last evening. I baked and brought a huge basket tray of old family favorites...German Sour Cream Twists and shell shaped chocolate tea cakes (forgot I had this seasonal Nordic pan)dusted with powdered sugar. Both seemed to be well received and many bagged some to take home.

Meanwhile, I have the ingredients for a watermelon cake or cupcakes to try later in the season. BTW, it took me two days to bake the two as the twists require yeast and refrigeration of dough whereas the tea cakes take pan filling time and I only have one pan.

My heartfelt thanks for everyone's contribution on this topic. Hopefully, you've helped others who are wondering what to bake for a similar occasion this summer. Thanks for your time and suggestions.

Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
The tried and true usually works best when taking to a gathering.

Good luck with the watermelon cake - It is really cute but you're talking waayyyy more patience to prepare than I will ever have. Big Grin