Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Food & Entertaining
  It's Not Thanksgiving unless.....
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

It's Not Thanksgiving unless..... Sign In/Join 
Picture of Charming
posted
Time for Thanksgiving traditions. Be it a certain food you don't serve the other 364 days or a special visit.

List ONE thing that screams - "Thanksgiving" - for you.

For me, listening to Arlo Guthrie sing Alice's Restaurant. Yeah, I know it dates me, but I started doing it years ago when a local radio station always played it on Thanksgiving day.

Posts: 3400 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Baked turkey and cranberry sauce. I never have either during the year except at Thanksgiving. I've been to dinners with ham being served and there was 1 year I forgot the cranberry sauce. It just didn't feel like Thanksgiving either time.
Thanksgiving evening we putting up the Christmas decorations. My favorite song to start the Christmas season is TSO Christmas Eve Sarajevo.

Posts: 551 | Registered: Jan 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanksgiving is the only time we have turkey too. Adjusted traditional menu to fit our family. We didn't have sweet potatoes this year and I for one missed them. Will make up for it with the ham for Christmas. Think I have forgotten cranberry sauce before too. Since grandsons are at their Mom's on Thanksgiving, we do our dinner before or after Thanksgiving. Last several years it has been the Sunday before. I like doing it before rather than after. We had turkey, dressing, cranberry sauce, corn pudding, broccoli casserole, gravy, rolls and pumpkin pie w/topping.

My dsis has adapted her menu to what her family likes, too. Still a lot of what we serve is what our Mother and Grandmother's served.

At holidays, I do really miss family that are no longer with us. Do treasure the memories though.

Looking forward to reading other's traditions.

I am too tired to start decorating after the big meal. Guess that is one reason I prefer to do our meal early, can start cocentrating on Christmas earlier.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Strings,

Strings

Friends divide our sorrows and multiply our joys.

Posts: 6173 | Registered: Sep 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
It's the only meal that I combine all the favorites...
turkey, dressing, noodles, candied yams, cranberry sauce.
I do have most at other times during the year but not the candied yams & cranberry sauce.

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4322 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Can't think of one thing that we do only on T-day as we have turkey breast throughout the year. I even bake pumpkin pies from time to time in the Fall and Winter. I guess I'd have to say the Thanksgiving Day Macy's parade tho I don't always catch it on tv either.

Posts: 18386 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quiltzilla
posted Hide Post
We were just working on the menu.
turkey
gravy
mashed potatoes
cornbread dressing
zuccini casserole
yams
corn casserole
pumpkin pie
berry turnovers
coconut meringue pie
pecan pie
new this year: wild rice salad with pomegranit, cranberries, orange, mint & pumpkin seeds

Posts: 6622 | Registered: Aug 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Seaborne
posted Hide Post
Foodwise - it's the dressing - because I don't make dressing any other time - except for Christmas, if I didn't do it for Thanksgiving. Otherwise, I fix turkey quite often during the rest of the year. Also, the home-made whole berry cranberry sauce - which I only make when I make the dressing to go with the whole turkey.

Seaborne

Posts: 980 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: Nov 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
HAM

I'm not much of a turkey person. No one in my family will pass up ham for bird. My mother always baked a ham - a REAL ham from the pig hip, not a picnic from the shoulder (those were for every day meals). She put it in the oven around midnight and cooked it until it fell off the bone.

We all miss her hams, but especially one niece. At just about every family gathering she mentions Granny's ham and her mashed potatoes.

Posts: 16481 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Waverider ;)
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Strings:
At holidays, I do really miss family that are no longer with us. Do treasure the memories though.

I now dislike Thanksgiving and wish I didn't have to celebrate it with my DH's DM & DS. I remember the Thanksgiving my mother was in the ICU and then passed away a week later. I miss all my family no longer here. My heart aches for my beloved family, and my DH's family dulls in comparison.

Posts: 2238 | Location: "The Garden State", NJ ~ Zone 7 | Registered: Nov 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
Wavy, I do understand your feelings. I don't dislike it, per se, but it doesn't feel right since Mama died. And, losing your Mom so close to Thanksgiving would definitely change things. Hugs.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6212 | Location: Northwest Florida | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Waverider, I do understand. One of my grandfather's passed away on a Thanksgiving morning. It was hard for many holidays after that. When my grandmother got so she couldn't do the dinner, my Mom started it. Grandmother would come to our house for Thanksgiving and my Aunt's for Christmas.

I don't think that we ever went to my Dad's side for Thanksgiving, but we did go Christmas. My Dad was one of 4 so lots of cousins. Only time the "parlor" was used. Real country ham and fried oysters. They lived on a farm and I loved it there.

My youngest sister passed away Labor Day weekend in 1989 and that first Christmas was extremely difficult for us, especially my parents. We went to my other sis' house for our breakfast and gift exchange. Think it was back to my parents the next Christmas. My Mom passed in 1994 and my Dad in 1998. After Mom was gone, Dad never wanted to do Christmas at his home again. That is when my sister and I started doing our own. For a while we would go about 100 miles to dh's family until his Mom passed. Now we alternate the trip with dh's brother and his family. My sister and get together when we can. Life got complicated when she and her dh split and her boys split time. Also her inlaws had split, so more places that they needed to go. See her often, so not like never see her. We get together with dh's brother and family sometime between Christmas and New Years. That was after many years of us being the ones who travel every Christmas, getting there late on the 25th and listening to bil griping about when we got there.

Our holidays are further complicated by ds#1 living so far away and ds#2 and his wife split.

Things just aren't the same. We do what we can when we can. It does get easier with time. If doing a tradition is difficult, just try something else. Might take some trial and error, but don't give up. Life changes but does go on. Not easy to adjust sometimes.

Strings

Picture of Seaborne
posted Hide Post
I lived away from my birth family for 10 years - and we only came home once during that time - for Christmas and Thanksgiving - when my kids were in grade school. So, we made our "own" traditions. However, my in-laws would come over the day "after" Christmas - on the bus - for a 4 day visit - so I couldn't even rest "after" the holiday - but had to cook and have everything "perfect" for them. Nothing stays the "same." Change is inevitable. For the sake of our children, we need to forge new traditions and make the best of it. Now - 50 years later - I go to my son's for Xmas Day - but I have a buffet open house on Xmas Eve. And I have a Xmas Cookie decorating party about a week before Xmas for my cousins and extended family - which ends up being the best party of all. We couldn't have done that when my parents' generation were still alive. So - now, I'm happy with whatever the younger ones want to do. But I still do lots of cooking or baking - which I enjoy doing.

Seaborne

Posts: 980 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: Nov 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
The only thing constant is change. We adapt. Or we crumble.

I watched my mother grieve for her parents for over five years. They died within months of each other. Mama grieved on their birthdays...on the dates of their deaths...on Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Easter...and whenever else something triggered a memory

I MISS MY PARENTS TERRIBLY! But I prefer to celebrate their lives not relive their deaths. I enjoy the things that they enjoyed and bless the influences they had on my life.

Posts: 16481 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Becky56
posted Hide Post
KYIS I totally agree with you and that is how I also try to be.

One thing I have found as my kids have grown up , married and are starting families of their own, is that we have to adapt and be flexible with changing traditions on holidays.

Just when you think you have a new adaption all figured out, change occurs and you need to come up with a new adaption. So I have learned to just roll with it.

The important thing is we are well, and together. Not some tradition that we are upset about missing because "we have always done it this way".

Posts: 3194 | Location: Bama G.R.I.T.S. | Registered: Jun 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
Wow, did this topic head off in a completely different direction!! I was waiting for someone to post, "when Uncle Harry drinks too much punch before dinner and tells the family secrets". Wink

I am never one for tradition. I think we pay a disservice to those who are living to not take joy in their lives as we remember those who are no longer with us. I think Sherry nailed it. Almost all of us will lose our parents especially when we start moving into our 50's and 60's. Unfortunately for some it is sooner. But that is part of life and being an adult. We have losses and we deal with them.

Isn't it better to say - Mom sure made the best mashed potatoes, too bad we didn't pay more attention in the kitchen; or Dad always wanted the same meal, but I think he would like your sweet potatoes than to be sad when there are so many great memories to share with a younger generation?

So everyone moved away? Okay DH's children and our grand children live 3 states over. We will celebrate the holidays with them in January. We have a wonderful time and a lot of the pressure is relieved by not trying to fit everything into the time between Thanksgiving and Christmas.

I am very happy celebrating with just DH. He is my partner for life and he is the only one I need for my holiday to be complete.

Posts: 3400 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
Having lost both my parents at a relatively young age...my mother when I was 4, my grandmother who moved in to raise me at 7 and my father at 15...and then I spent 3 yrs. in a girls home...be glad for the time you got to spend with your parents.
I don't have a lot of the memories that most of you have! I didn't get to have my mother or grandmother teach me things like cooking/baking, etc. I didn't get to have my father walk me down the aisle when I got married.
But I have adapted. Those of us left behind have to go on living and set new traditions and make the events in our lives "ours".
Love the ones that are with you now and create new fun memories for them for after you/we are gone!
Cherish your memories but always remember to make new ones!

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4322 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CJO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KeepYouInStitches:
The only thing constant is change. We adapt. Or we crumble.

I watched my mother grieve for her parents for over five years. They died within months of each other. Mama grieved on their birthdays...on the dates of their deaths...on Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Easter...and whenever else something triggered a memory

I MISS MY PARENTS TERRIBLY! But I prefer to celebrate their lives not relive their deaths. I enjoy the things that they enjoyed and bless the influences they had on my life.

Well said....I need to print your whole post and read it every day...thank you!

Posts: 2775 | Registered: Oct 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
It's not Thanksgiving unless the living room is full of sleeping adult men sitting in their easy chairs within minutes of finishing dinner!
Gpa, Uncles, Dad, brothers, husband, cousins, etc!

Posts: 2639 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Nov 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lol, Lurah! When I was little, can remember my Grandmother, my Mother and my Aunt in the kitchen cleaning up and my Granddad, my Dad and my Uncle sleeping while they "watched" football.

Think it has been proven that turkey has something that makes one sleepy. Overeating contributes to that too.

Strings