Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Food & Entertaining
  What's For Dinner in June?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's For Dinner in June? Sign In/Join 
Picture of Linderhof
posted
Yikes -- it's June already! It sort of slipped up! So what are you all fixing for dinner this month?

Martha

Posts: 5397 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Yesterday for Sunday Lunch we had grilled chicken and a big pan of grilled vegetables. With hot fresh out of the oven homemade bread and strawberries with whipped cream and mint madeleines!

Martha

Posts: 5397 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Shrimp kabobs with zucchini and yellow squash and rice pilaf for a side dish.

Always have strawberry shortcake in June with fresh local berries.

Posts: 3047 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Feb 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
Nothing exciting at my house yet. But I did make homemade chocolate ice cream in the attachment for my Kitchenaide mixer. OH MY GOODNESS!

Posts: 16461 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CA Lori
posted Hide Post
Chicken Piccata. Sherry, just curious, do you cook your ice cream recipe?

Posts: 5880 | Location: Calif. | Registered: Sep 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
Shrimp cocktail with homemade sauce, grilled ribeye, baked potatoes and Romaine with avocado, pears, peppers, onion, celery, carrot and sweet Italian dressing. Homemade dense yellow cake with chocolate glaze for dessert when I get hungry again.
Didn't feel like fixing anything. Spent all day doing paperwork after a lousy convention that sent me home with a headache I'm still fighting.

Posts: 2639 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Nov 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
CA Lori, If my ice cream has eggs in it, yes I cook it. But what I made last night did not have eggs so I did not cook it even though that particular recipe called for cooking, but I started it later than I intended so stirred it together, threw some nachos under the broiler and stirred the ice cream base more to make certain the sugar dissolved. Then I let the Kitchenaide do its job. We ate it soft and froze the rest. I got it out while we ate supper tonight (nothing to brag about). That gave the ice cream time to soften enough to scoop. DELICIOUS!

Next time you make chocolate ice cream, add some cinnamon!

Posts: 16461 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KBTrendsMag
posted Hide Post
Last night, I made chicken breast marinated in BBQ sauce then wrapped with bacon and cooked on the grill.
Asparagus sitting in lemon juice for a half hour and then cooked on the grill.
Grilled pineapple for dessert.

Husband was very happy when he came home from work!

Kitchen Bath Trends
www.kitchenbathtrends.com

Posts: 25 | Location: Connecticut | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
Haven't cooked dinner in a week!! Been visiting and its been out to dinner every night, either a restaurant or at their house. It's been wonderful. Last night was lasagna, salad and garlic bread at our friends' house. Then his parents came over and brought strawberry shortcake makings for dessert. Man, I'm gonna hate when we leave tomorrow.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6198 | Location: Northwest Florida | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Last night (nothing special) we had homemade tuna salad with stir fry vegetables and fruit.

Tonight it's fajitas with chips and salsa

Posts: 80 | Registered: Sep 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
I recently saw a recipe for fish and greens. Weird, huh?

But I marinated some salmon in an Indian based marinade - fresh ginger, garam masala, etc. then grilled. I bought a bag of turnip greens and sautéed them with onion, garlic and a bit of red pepper flakes and garam masala. On the side roasted potatoes and tzatziki. Smells wonderful.

Posts: 3395 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Picture of CA Lori
posted Hide Post
Sherry, interesting tip about the cinnamon. My tip to you is rum extract and chopped roasted almonds--it tastes just like my favorite Baskin-Robbins Chocolate Almond ice cream that they stopped from making all the time to once or twice a year (and not available in all their stores, bummer). I don't know about you, but I HAVE to have nuts in my ice cream.

??"threw some nachos under the broiler and stirred the ice cream base more to make certain the sugar dissolved."" What do you do with the nachos??

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CA Lori,

Posts: 5880 | Location: Calif. | Registered: Sep 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh yes! Now that I know that that recipe is a keeper, I will start "making it mine"! The recipe called for WATER!!! I know if you use water or reduced fat milk that the final product is icy. So I used "whole" milk and cream. I had some mini-marshmallows and thought about rocky road...too late. Maybe next time.

"threw some nachos under the broiler and stirred the ice cream base more to make certain the sugar dissolved"
Translation: While I gave the ice cream base time to sit and dissolve the sugar, I made a pan of nachos. Big Grin

We ate 'em before they burned. Wink

And just in case you wanted to know what kind of nachos: they were just cheese and jalapeno nachos. I don't get fancy and do NOT put refried beans on my 'chos!

Picture of Spanish Revival
posted Hide Post
Tonight we went out for a bone-in Rib-eye, baked potato and a Cesar salad. Don't think I'll be eating for a week, well, until tomorrow at least Smile

Posts: 904 | Location: Florida | Registered: Aug 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I took some pulled pork out of the freezer last night to thaw and we had it with Bush's steakhouse beans. That pork is from my very favorite BBQ place at home. Yummy!, and there's enough left for me to have some more, too.

Posts: 6198 | Location: Northwest Florida | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
Night before last we had BLTs with fresh sliced maters from my veggie patch! YUMMMMMM!

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4305 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
We had stuffed shells and Caesar salad with some garlic bread.

Martha

Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
Shredded leftover roast beef nachos with 3 cheese artisan queso tortilla chips, fresh homemade salas.

Posts: 2639 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Nov 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
It was a cooking day today -- guests for lunch --

cool cucumber soup garnished with borage blossoms
chicken and asparagus individual frittatas
strawberry, pecan, feta, spinach salad with
poppyseed dressing
Chocolate craggy cake (flourless chocolate cake)

And for dinner, we grilled pizzas -- we each chose our own toppings from refrigerator leftovers and had more of that delicious strawberry, pecan, feta, spinach salad with it and we will have the last two pieces of chocolate craggy cake for dessert.

Martha

Picture of Seaborne
posted Hide Post
Along with grilled checken and lamb chops this past week, I grilled Yukon Gold potatoes, tomato halves, sweet onion wedges, zucchini and red pepper slices - drizzled with olive oil. I do this in my own oven - on a large flat baking sheet and place under the broiler - turning when needed.

Seaborne

Posts: 974 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: Nov 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Seaborn -- love grilled vegetables!

Tonight we're going to have a grilled hamburger with bun and onion, tomato and mayo (my fav way -- DH adds pickles and cheese) and a dilled potato salad the dressing of which has yogurt to lighten it a bit. Oh, and leftover German cherry pie for dessert -- just two slivers left -- that's perfect for the two ofus -- I had company for lunch and that's where most of the pie went!

Martha

posted Hide Post
4-cheese tortellini with olive oil/butter herb sauce
mixed green salad with avocado
garlic bread (the last 3 chunks of homemade bread)

Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
We both came in sweating from completing our chores outside. I thought it would be refreshing to have fresh fruit plates for dinner with cottage cheese and some Danish pastry. DH still asks for "meat" to be served so added a rotissere chicken breast.

When we sat down to eat, I said you know the cottage cheese would have been enough protein, I don't know why you always think you have to have a honking size piece of meat every night for dinner.

"I'm not a VEGETARIAN! Why do you always have to have sweets?"

Sssoorrryyyy.

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Cheese stuffed shells, garlic bread, Caesar salad

Martha

posted Hide Post
Today we took the boat out into the Atlantic Ocean for some deep sea fishing and caught a 15 pound grouper, actually my son caught it. We came home, he filleted it up and we had beautiful pieces of grilled grouper along with a spinach salad with a coconut mango from a tree in the back yard and a crusty baguette.

Posts: 904 | Location: Florida | Registered: Aug 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
SR -- My husband wants to move to your house!!!

Martha

Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
Sunday eve DS2 came to visit and we made authentic Valencian paella in the pan he gave me for Christmas. Well no rabbit or much seafood, but with chorizo, chicken & shrimp. It turned out fabulous! Had leftovers tonight and it was just as good.

posted Hide Post
Tonight it's going to be fresh from the garden: golden potatoes, yellow squash & zucchini, fresh tomatoes from the Amish farms, Vidalia onion, corn on the cob and cornbread muffins

Posts: 80 | Registered: Sep 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We went up to the farm and picked blueberries this morning. While there I picked up some squash, a canteloupe and some sweet corn. Hallelujah -- its not the GMO stuff!!

So, given that lineup, I think dinner tonight is going to be corn on the cob and a rack of ribs we brought home from our favorite BBQ joint in Iowa. Then fruit for dessert.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Linderhof:
SR -- My husband wants to move to your house!!!

Martha

Hahaha!!! You're both welcome to come anytime!!

posted Hide Post
Since today is Flag Day I made a luscious dessert made up of red, white and blue... a simple sheet cake with blueberries and raspberries, and of course a white frosting, cream cheese, my favorite!

Picture of Indexlady
posted Hide Post
We're enjoying grilling chuck EYE steak.

The ribeye steaks are certain ribs on the cow, and ONLY those ribs. Chuck eye is the very next rib, and half the cost.

It's not chuck steak. It's chuck eye steak. There are only 2 per cow because it's the single rib next to the ribeye ribs.

We love it, and love the savings.

Not sure how many steaks they get off the rib, but we love them as much as the ribeye.

Posts: 4404 | Location: In the beautiful Tennessee Valley, between the Cumberland Plateau and the Great Smoky Mountains. | Registered: Jul 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We had meat tonight (pork loin) but the best part was fresh from the garden broccoli (best I've ever tasted!), fried green tomato slices, homemade chocolate/cinnamon ice cream.

posted Hide Post
Tonight I made Cioppino with shrimp we netted off the bridge, clams, and crabs we caged (baited with chicken necks) and mahi-mahi we caught the other day. Served over linguini. Being in the sun all day, didn't make anything else other than a vege salad, too tired, but it was good!!

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
SR -- I'm jealous!

Martha

posted Hide Post
quote:
SR -- I'm jealous!

Martha

Still have a couple quarts in the fridge, come on down!!

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
I wish I could!!!!

Martha

Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
We picked up 182# of fresh pork we had processed at a great locker a few counties over (we split it three ways with family) and enjoyed the first of that for supper tonight.
I decided on the pineapple brats, baked beans, relish tray, fresh nectarines and bing & Ranier cherries. OMgoodness the brats were so good! Tomorrow night fresh pork chops and sweet potato something.

posted Hide Post
We had chicken salad on romaine lettuce, with strawberries, blueberries and cantaloupe. It was wonderful.

posted Hide Post
Did ALL the food shopping for a wedding I'm catering on Saturday as well as shopped for pretty bowls and platters, flowers, took me darn near the entire day. In 90 degree HOT weather. Tonight was Chinese... Delivery, husband answered the door!, we ate on the sofa... I vegged.

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
SR -- your wedding catering is on Saturday? What did you decide to fix?

Martha

posted Hide Post
quote:
SR -- your wedding catering is on Saturday? What did you decide to fix?

Martha

I PMed you Martha with the menu, thank-you for asking!

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
SR -- Thanks, I'll go check and PM you back!

Martha

Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
My favorite bing cherry & chicken salad (not served on lettuce) but a curry mayo dressing holding all together, raw carrot, fresh pineapple & raisin salad; canteloupe & cottage cheese - my trio salad dinner.

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
We're at DD and SIL in Minneapolis -- I brought the ingredients and the recipe and she fixed a lemon chicken with orzo and kalamata olives dish that was superb (and that I will fix again) along with some sauteed green beans.

Martha

posted Hide Post
Mediterranean Herb Chicken pizza from Papa Murphy's - they make it and you bake it! Yummy

Extra thin crust with sundried tomatoes, fresh spinach, fresh garlic, feta cheese, white chicken and the most unusual mixture of spices which is why this is one of the few things we actually pay to order out/take out although I do have to ask them to go easy on the garlic when I place the order.

I know, it's not really a "dinner" as this thread means but it sure is good and no way have I ever been able to duplicate those herbs although I have tried! Anyone else have Papa Murphy's in their area? Cool

Posts: 6487 | Registered: Jan 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
For Saturday brunch I made Jacques Pepin's Crepes Souffles, excellent and easy.

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
IR -- we have one in the town 25 miles away and the next time I'm down there I'll have to bring one of those home.

And what do you mean that it's not really "dinner" -- it is and you gave everyone a good recommendation on a restaurant menu item.

So I thank you --

Martha

posted Hide Post
We had boiled Texas Gulf brown shrimp with apple/cabbage coleslaw. Delicious!