Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Food & Entertaining
  When a person does everything in excess
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When a person does everything in excess Sign In/Join 
posted
I'm curious.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Leafly,

Posts: 755 | Registered: Sep 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jeeze- wouldn't know how to address this one.

Posts: 3053 | Location: Michigan and sw Florida | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My brother's ex brought 40 (!) gifts to her daughter's baby shower. I don't have an explanation for your person, Leaf, but I thought you might recognize the same sort of person here.

Posts: 3234 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Mamaspoon and sms29s66,

Wow, Aren't h o m o sapiens fascinating? I've seen parents who were divorced overcompensate by giving too many gifts to their kids but 40 is way over the limit. As the actor in "Scent of a Woman" would say it....Huaaah

Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Not a shrink, but it sounds like an insecurity problem and this person craves attention or acceptance. Could also be an obsessive-compulsive disorder. How's that for a free analysis? Wink

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Froo Froo,

Posts: 18382 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Froo Froo,

People never cease to amaze me in good ways. Hurray! Hurray! for them.

Maybe we'll hear some good stories here. We all have our interesting peculiarities.

Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
Are you talking about a person who gives too many gifts?

Could be about getting attention for doing it.

Could be it is the way they show love.

Could be they get over excited about the holidays and it is just fun to them.

Could be they feel insecure and this makes them feel more secure.

Could be they are trying to impress someone.

Hard to tell with so little information - not that I would know the answer anyway, not being a psychologist or psychiatrist.

Posts: 7075 | Registered: Apr 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
I too don't know what the original post said but in general to answer the broad question. . .

I bet if you think about it everyone a person knows does something to excess. Could be squeezing every dime 10 ways. Could be going to ch urch too many times in a week. Could be buying too many of anything for one's home.

Could be volunteering so many hours that ones own beloved are neglected. Could be spending so much time on a hobby that your mate might as well be single.

You get the idea. We are all probably doing something to an extent that others could say was excessive!

Posts: 12138 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post