Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Food & Entertaining
  How do you cook your corn on the cob?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How do you cook your corn on the cob? Sign In/Join 
Picture of MyLifeVacation1
posted
Growing up in a family of 7, we would shuck a dozen of corn then boil it in a large pot of salted water for about 15 minutes or so.

These days, as a single, I take off the outer leaves (just one layer), cut off the top silks with scissors, then soak two ears in cold water til I am ready to cook. I then just put them in the microwave on high for 4 1/2 minutes. I let them sit in the microwave for ten minutes or so to further steam and then to cool a tad.

When I am ready to eat, it is so easy to shuck the leaves down and the silk comes away without a problem. I rarely have to pick single threads of silk to make the corn clean. I then use the shucked back leaves as a handle and enjoy or if having company it is easy to snap off the leaves.

How do you prepare yours?

Posts: 967 | Registered: Oct 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For a LOT of corn, I'll go with big pot of boiling water... but only about 5 minutes.

For 1-2 ears, I go to microwave, too. I husk corn first, into glass casserole dish with maybe 1-2 T water, cover (sheet of parchment laying on top works fine), and cook about 2 minutes per ear. I usually let it sit a miinute or 2 before attempting to eat.

Posts: 5637 | Location: mount holly, NJ, USA | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
We are big corn on the cob lovers so I usually boil it in order to make enough. When I make just a cob or two I have used the micro method where you just put it in, husk and all, and nuke it about 4 minutes.

When you take it out ( it will be very hot) just cut off the stem end, hold it by that end and it will slip right out completely clean! Watch a video on YouTube in order to see it!

Posts: 3157 | Location: central PA | Registered: Jan 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Handie Ann
posted Hide Post
Try to soak the cob in water than put it on the hot grill for about 10 minutes. take it off the grill and shuck it. This is the bust way we have found to cook it.

Handie Ann

Posts: 3539 | Location: Des Moines, Wa. USA | Registered: Jan 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
I prefer it boiled or on the grill.

I've had it prepared by someone else in the microwave. Sorry, but for me...it's just not very good.

Same thing with sweet potatoes. I know someone who MWs sweet potatoes. I'vd tried it too. That just does not give them enough time for the sweet to develop the way it does in the oven cooked longer.

But...That's why we all have different tastes and different preparation methods. Smile

Posts: 17079 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maryim
posted Hide Post
Bring water to a boil, turn off heat, put corn in for ten minutes.

Posts: 5423 | Location: Maryland | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
I boil my two ears till I can smell the corn. It takes 2 or 3 minutes.

But I will definitely try your way MLV.

Posts: 12647 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quiltzilla
posted Hide Post
LOS-me too!
But I always boil a pot full at a time. I love it cold the next day.

Posts: 6658 | Registered: Aug 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just discovered that you can broil corn on the cob!!! Soak the unhusked ears for fifteen minutes and then pop them in the oven about six inches under the broiler. Then let them broil for about 20 minutes. I turn them every five minutes. This is perfect when I don't want to grill outdoors. When I do, I put them directly on the coals.

Posts: 3414 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KeepYouInStitches:

I've had it prepared by someone else in the microwave. Sorry, but for me...it's just not very good.

The humidity here today in NE Oh is 85% and sticky, sticky, sticky so doing the corn in the microwave is a must do or nothing. Perhaps your friend's corn was old, too dry, cooked too long, a different variety, etc.

I would love to see you try just one ear in the microwave -- soaking in water and with husk on -- for 3 minutes. What's to lose? 65 cents for an ear.

posted Hide Post
I like my corn on the grill.Husk it and remove the silk then place in foil with lots of butter. wrap foil over tight and twist ends tight . place on grill in bout 20 min remove open and eat. work done before hand so just eat and enjoy.

why do I get the red line under my words

Be happy Be safe

Posts: 1062 | Location: east coast | Registered: Apr 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MyLifeVacation1:
Growing up in a family of 7, we would shuck a dozen of corn then boil it in a large pot of salted water for about 15 minutes or so.

15 min. sounds like a long time to cook corn. Perhaps my memory fails me or maybe it just took that long to bring the pot back to a boil after dumping a dozen ears of corn into it.

I too love roasted corn but no longer have the outdoor equipment to do it. If it cools off enough I am going to try the oven roast.

Just came from the Farm Market -- corn was $5 a dozen, up a quarter from last year. Last year the price never wavered, from end of June to mid-October.

As an aside -- when I went to get my eggs there was a carton on the bottom shelf -- the eggs were so big the lid would not shut. I've never seen chicken eggs that big. All of them were no doubt double yolked -- and one looked like it could have been a triple. Huge! $2.75/dzn.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by icecream:

why do I get the red line under my words

I couldn't tell if this was a real question or part of your signature line. Anyway, the line usually indicates a spelling error, sometime caused by a lack of a space between words.

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
I bring my unsalted water to boil, add the corn and when it boils again, it's done! Too many people IMO cook corn WAY too long!!!

Then it's plenty of salt, pepper and BUTTER!

Martha

Posts: 5932 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The corn I'm cooking this season is perfect with no salt OR butter.

Posts: 3414 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
OMG you folks are making me drool. It's July 10th and STILL no local corn! Always we have it for July 4th, sometimes available in late June. Last year was drought and poor corn crop.
This year rainy spring, floods and late planting. Who know when it will arrive.

Big pot of water brought to a rolling boil, cleaned ears of corn plunked in and brought back to boil, making sure all is submerged by water. When comes back to a boil it is done.
Sometimes I add a tad of sugar to water for sweetness.

As an extended family we have always frozen corn near the end of the season, last year it didn't allow for this, hopefully we can accomplish this season.

Most gardens can still be seen through here as they haven't been in the soil long!

Posts: 2753 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Nov 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CA Lori
posted Hide Post
I mostly MW mine but I remove the husks/silks and wrap them individually in Cutrite waxpaper. I cook two of them on High for 5 minutes. Perfect!
I don't like the taste it gets from the husks or silks.

The best way, but more work, is to pull back the husks and remove the silks. Scrub them with a brush, slather them with butter, and roll them (at least 3 rollings) in heavy duty foil, making sure to drizzle some water in the package before sealing. This method eliminates any brown kernels, which I do not like. I grill them for 5 minutes on each of the four sides, 20 minutes total time.

Posts: 5988 | Location: Calif. | Registered: Sep 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Seaborne
posted Hide Post
For two cobs, totally clean of silk and husks - place in a Pyrex pie plate with a few TBs of water & microwave 8 to 10 minutes.
For a crowd - take off silks - keep husks on - soak in water - and then place on baking sheets in oven - don't remember what temp - maybe 350 or so - and roast in the oven for 10 - 15 minutes.
I never boil corn in water anymore.
I think on the grill would be good too.
I've had them served from a campfire - they're really good.

Seaborne

Posts: 1130 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: Nov 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Seaborne
posted Hide Post
Forgot to add: I cover the cobs in the Pyrex dish with a Pyrex / glass / or plastic wrap cover.

Seaborne

Posts: 1130 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: Nov 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
MyLifeVacation
I MAY try it.
I've eaten corn prepared by this friend several times...
And she is a really good cook.

Did someone mention "field" corn here...no I think it was on another thread...
We eat it here. If you gather it just before full maturity it is pretty good.
However, I have a story. Smile
First DH was a truck driver - long haul. He was gone up to 2-3 weeks at a time. He would turn the garden with his uncle's tractor and disk and then would till with our tiller laying out rows. He fussed when he ran short of time and I ran the tiller because the rows weren't straight. I told him that I would look at the fence post and aim the tiller at it. Of course I weighed about 120 pounds and that tiller really just pulled me along behind it. Big Grin He said my rows were "crocked as a dog's hind leg." I told him the vegetables didn't know any better.

He left to make a load one day and said that when he got back we needed to get the corn planted and for me to go buy the seed - field corn because we could get 3 ears per stalk. I went to the feed store and was looking at all that seed corn. Several varieties of field corn and several of sweet corn. A friend was in there buying for his garden. We talked about corn and he recommended Silver Queen SWEET corn. Said it was delicious. That's what I bought. Big Grin

I cranked the tiller and made my rows and planted corn. Husband thanked me but said I should have waited on him...that was a lot of work. Besides the rows were crooked. I never said a word about the corn.

You know...the stalks didn't grow as tall as he was expecting. The ears didn't get very big. And there wasn't a third ear. But DANG that corn was GOOD!

The next year..."When I get back we'll plant corn. Don't go to the feed store, I'll handle it." Well...I planted corn before he got home. Big Grin He finally gave in. After another year or so he told me that it was time to plant the corn and I could do it while he was gone. I wore him down! LOL

This message has been edited. Last edited by: KeepYouInStitches,

Posts: 17079 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Seaborne
posted Hide Post
Wonderful story, Stitches.

Seaborne

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
KYIS -- I think I mentioned it on another thread -- driving through Iowa, alas, no corn in the fields.

I've eaten field corn and when it is young it is edible. But, oh, my, does it make you full!

Great story about your corn!

Martha

Posts: 5932 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great story KYIS. BTW, silver queen is my favorite variety of sweet corn. My ex and I used to own a small country store in a fishing/lake resort area of NW Pa. We would average selling 250 - 300 dozen of corn a day during the season and silver queen was always a favorite of our customers too.

posted Hide Post
I froze some ears whole. Some I cut off the cob scraping each cob making 'cream' corn. I could eat it for breakfast it was so good and sweet.

Picture of Kathy_in_wlsv
posted Hide Post
home grown, fresh picked, corn on the cob. get the water boiling, go out and pick the corn, just barely cook it, salt, butter, pepper, dive in.... it tastes like.....corn.

always tastes like...corn.... everyone around the table is weeping with joy and I'm hearing Peggy Lee singing "Is that All There Is?"

Life is GOOD!!

Posts: 1562 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: Nov 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CA Lori
posted Hide Post
Sherry, I can't believe you did all that work yourself. Whatta gal!

In my area, we can't wait until the local Brentwood corn is available. I don't know what kind it is, but it's sure good.

Having said that, every ear of corn I eaten for the last month or so has been very good. Most of it from Winco and some from Trader Joe's and Safeway. I sometimes fix an ear for my lunch because DH doesn't want corn more than once a week. I live for corn season!

Posts: 5988 | Location: Calif. | Registered: Sep 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post