Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Food & Entertaining
  Need some Irish finger foods...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need some Irish finger foods... Sign In/Join 
Picture of nance425
posted
I'm helping with food at our IrishFest this weekend. What can I bring for finger food? We are feeding the entertainers and 60 volunteers all day Saturday...

Posts: 4621 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: Dec 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
I would do the little smokies in crescent rolls for the Irish like their sausages. Cheddar cheese biscuits especially if you use Irish cheddar and they can be served at room temp. You could do little corned beef sandwiches with the party rye bread. And potato skins but they would have to be served warm!

Martha

Posts: 6290 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nance425
posted Hide Post
O, Martha, those are very good ideas.

Got a good recipe for those cheddar cheese biscuits? Do they need to be served warm. I could take a crockpot....

What would you put in the corned beef sandwiches? And what kind of bread would you use?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: nance425,

Posts: 4621 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: Dec 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
No, the biscuits don't need to be served warm although if I were doing it, I would probably do drop biscuits. If you really want finger food for the sandwiches, I would use that thinly sliced square rye bread that I find near the deli section of the store -- not with the bread. If our store has it, surely yours does too. I would do corned beef, Swiss cheese and mustard but not too much mustard -- enough to taste but not enough to overpower the corned beef and cheese.

If you don't want "finger" sandwiches, you could use regular rye bread and make sandwiches with the corned beef, Swiss cheese and mustard.

Martha

Posts: 6290 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
What about...taking a rolling pin to the rye bread, then mixing grated corned beef, shredded Swiss with some cream cheese (or mix with mayonnaise/sour cream/etc.). Spread it on the flattened rye bread and roll up. Like tortilla rollups. You could use mustard for dipping.

Look at this website:
http://www.littleshamrocks.com...petizer-Recipes.html

This one has a fondue made with Irish cheddar and stout (beer)
http://www.yummly.com/recipes/irish-appetizers

This is an interesting concept! I really like the idea!!!

Oh...and perhaps sweet scones for dessert?

Posts: 17317 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
I have an Irish Cooking cookbook by Minogue so I brought it out of the library. I'm married to an Irishman, but we rarely eat Irish inspired foods.
Basically, the Irish cuisine does not enthrall us.
I've got extensive menu research for two Irish cultural luncheons I've prepared and a few other notes culled over the years.
Personally I think you've got some great suggestions already.
If you'd like I could add recipes for Smoked Salmon stuffed cherry tomatoes, Potato Cakes from Ester Dunne's, and a chicken loaf that is good served hot or cold for a party buffet or picnic.

Posts: 2828 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Nov 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Seaborne
posted Hide Post
And roast beef sandwiches -

Seaborne

Posts: 1212 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: Nov 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a long relationship with an Irishman (from Arklow, Wicklow, Ireland) and I loved to tease him about the Irish and English being the only two cultures with no discernible cuisine.

Posts: 3514 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of junk collector
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KeepYouInStitches:
What about...taking a rolling pin to the rye bread, then mixing grated corned beef, shredded Swiss with some cream cheese (or mix with mayonnaise/sour cream/etc.). Spread it on the flattened rye bread and roll up. Like tortilla rollups. You could use mustard for dipping.

They do make rye wraps now - a little pricey, but if you did the roll up and cut it into pinwheels it might work too.

How about boxty? I've had it prepared in different ways, so you could make smaller portions topped with salmon or???

Potato soup - could easily go in a crockpot and be served in small bowls.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: junk collector,

Posts: 3453 | Registered: Aug 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
I think I've purchased potato cakes in the freezer section of Trader Joe's.

Posts: 2828 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Nov 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nance425
posted Hide Post
thank you so much everyone. What great ideas. We have someone bringing Irish Stew, Potato soup. So the biscuits would be a great idea. Do we need butter on the side???

sms29s66 and Lurah:
I kinda feel the same way re Irish cuisine. Not a real fan, except when it comes to Ruebens and corned beef!!!! Smile

Any ideas for sweet stuff? I was thinking shamrock cookies and maybe mint brownies. Any other ideas?

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Yes, I would have butter for the biscuits.

Sweet stuff -- all from St. Patrick's past --

Fresh apple cake

MARY'S KERRY APPLE CAKE
(From One Perfect Bite courtesy of Margaret Johnson)

1/4 c. butter
1 cup sugar
1 egg beaten
4 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and diced (2 cups)
1/4 e. chopped walnuts
1 t. vanilla
1/2 t. baking powder
1/2 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
1/2 t. cinnamon
1/2 t. nutmeg
1 c. flour

Preheat oven to 350. Generously grease an 8 inch square pan. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add egg, apples, nuts and vanilla and stir well. Sift in dry ingredients and mix well with a wooden spoon or your hands. This is a very stiff batter.

Scrape batter into prepared pan and bake until cake is lightly browned and a skewer inserted into its center comes out clean, about 45 minutes. Let cool in pan for 5 minutes, then unfold and serve hot or cold with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.

NOTE FROM MARY: I was not able to unmold my cake, so I sliced and served it from the pan. Yield: 8 to 10 servings.

NOTE: I did not try to unmold my cake and so served it from the pan. I got SIX generous pieces.

GROWN UP ST. PATRICK'S DAY CHOCOLATE GUINNESS CUPCAKES
WITH IRISH WHISKY FROSTING

1 1/2 c. flour
1 c. packed brown sugar
1/3 c. cocoa
1 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
1 cup Guinness
1/2 c. canola oil
2 T. vinegar
1 T. vanilla

Irish Whisky Frosting

1 cup butter
3 cups powdered sugar
1 t. vanilla
2 to 5 T. milk
3 to 4 t. Irish whisky

Preheat oven to 350. Line a 12 cup cupcake pan with paper cupcake liners.

Whisk together the flour, brown sugar, cocoa, baking soda and salt into a bowl. In a separate bowl, mix the Guinness, oil, vinegar and vanilla until smooth. Pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture and whisk until well combined. Divide the batter evenly among the prepared cupcake liners. The cups should be filled about 3/4 full, and bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 18 to 22 minutes. Let the cupcakes cool completely.

IRISH WHISKY FROSTING

Beat the butter on high speed for 1 to 2 minutes. Add powdered sugar and vanilla and beat to incorporate. With the mixer running, add 1 T. of milk at a time until it reaches the desired buttercream consistency. Add whisky, 1 t. at a time, until desired taste. Beat on high for 2 more minutes until very fluffy.

KELL'S CHOCOLATE GUINNESS CAKE
1/4 c. cocoa
1/3 c. Guinness draught stout
1 cup flour
3/4 t. baking soda
1/4 t. baking powder
1/8 t. salt
1/4 c. butter, softened
1 c. sugar
2 large eggs
1/2 t. vanilla

1/3 c. buttermilk

Preheat oven to 350 and place rack in middle of oven. Grease and lightly flour 9 inch cake pan.

In a small saucepan, combine cocoa and stout and heat over low-moderate heat until smooth. Set aside to cool.

In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. In a large bowl with an electric mixer on low-medium speed, beat butter until creamy. Gradually add sugar and beat until pale yellow in color. Beat in eggs one at a time and add vanilla

Stir buttermilk into cooled cocoa and stout mixture.

With mixer on low, slowly add one-third of buttermilk mixture into creamed butter until incorporated. Add the flour mixture in three parts, alternating with the remaining two parts of the buttermilk and ending with the flour. Batter will look grainy or appear to be breaking up.

Pour batter into cake pan and bake for 25 to 35 minutes or until the cake pulls away from the sides of the pan and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Remove to a wire rack with parchment or waxed paper beneath it. Allow cake to cool in pan for 10 minutes, then slide knife around the edge of pan and invert to release cake, bottom side up, onto wire rack. When cool, use a fork to poke holes generously into bottom side of cake.

Chocolate Guinness Sauce

1/4 c. Guinness draught stout

4 T. light or dark brown sugar

2 T. cocoa

1/2 t. vanilla

Mix ingredients in small saucepan and heat over low heat until smooth. Allow to cool. Spoon 3/5 of the sauce over bottom of the cake, allowing sauce to seep into cake. Invert cake right side up onto serving platter. Poke hole sin top of cake and spoon remainder of sauce on top of cake.

Chocolate Ganache Glaze

10 ounces (1 1/4 c.) heavy whipping cream

10 ounces semisweet chocolate chips

Bring cream to a simmer in a small saucepot. Turn off heat and stir in chocolate pieces until sauce is smooth and creamy. Pour onto finished cake, smoothing ganache atop and along sides of cake. Ganache will pool at bottom of cake and can be removed with a knife.

Martha

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Also you could make the Bacardi Rum cake only use Irish whisky instead of rum.

You didn't say whether booze would be a problem.

If it is, You could make your favorite chocolate cake only sub the Irish Cream creamer for the milk.

Martha

posted Hide Post
Or Bailey's Irish Cream Cake!!!

http://www.theansweriscake.com...sh-cream-pound-cake/

Chocolate:
http://www.food.com/recipe/bai...ish-cream-cake-66507

http://www.piarecipes.com/2013...rish-cream-cake.html

Hmmm...still looking online for the non-chocolate recipe that I've used. Everything has I've found starts with a cake mix - I don't use mixes. I'll look it up when I get home.

Posts: 17317 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nance425
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Linderhof:

You didn't say whether booze would be a problem.
Martha

Booze absolutely not a problem, Martha! As a matter of fact, Two Gingers Irish Whiskey is giving out free tastings. Smile Made in Ireland and available exclusively in Minnesota.

http://www.2gingerswhiskey.com...ingerswhiskey.com%2F

Would love to try the Guinness recipes. However, DH and I don't like Guinness and we'd have a bit too much leftover. Smile If I had more time, I would do one or the other in bulk to use up the Guinness, but....
----

Sherry, the recipes at your links look amazing! If I had more time to plan & shop, I definitely would go for the more involved cakes. (I was just asked to help with some food 2 days ago.)
However, I may try the Bailey's pound cake and make it in a bundt pan for easy transport. I have a bottle of Bailey's in the fridg!!!
Have you made this cake?

posted Hide Post
No I have not made any of those recipes. When I get home I will pull out the recipe that I have made and post here for you. It is a layer cake, but of course those can also be made in a sheet cake pan.

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
I think the Bailey's cake would be terrific! A perfect dessert! I think one year I made something similar -- well, anyway I made a cake with Bailey's! Obviously it was memorable! LOL! (Lots of years I do an Irish luncheon for lady friends and often have couples over for dinner -- so I've made lots of different desserts over the years -- some I've saved and others while good I didn't) I think the Bailey's cake was years and years ago -- before we started putting stout in cake!

Nance -- are you able to buy just enough beer for the recipe. In our state you could buy one beer from a six pack.

Martha

posted Hide Post
Here we go...pffftttt...I just realized that it is on my blog with photos...
http://keepyouinstitches.blogs...Irish%20Cream%20Cake

Bailey's Irish Cream Cake

2 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon cloves
3/4 cup Bailey's Irish Cream
1/2 cup butter, cut into pieces
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
4 eggs
1 1/3 cup sugar

Frosting
2 3/4 cups cream, chilled
1/3 cup Bailey's Irish Cream, chilled
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 round cake pans with wax paper or parchment then butter and flour. Combine dry ingredients, set aside. In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine Bailey's and butter; heat until butter melts and mixture almost boils. Remove from heat, stir in vanilla. Cover to keep warm. In mixer bowl at high speed, beat eggs until pale yellow and tripled in volume about 5 minutes. Reduce speed to medium; beat in sugar 2 tablespoons at a time until combined. Reduce speed to low. In a thin steady stream beat hot Bailey's mixture into egg mixture until just combined. Beat in flour mixture until just combined. Divide batter between pans. Bake 20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool in pans on rack 10 minutes. Remove layers from pans and continue to cool on racks.

Frosting:
Combine all ingredients. At high speed beat until stiff peaks form (3-5 minutes). Refrigerate frosting until ready to use. Assemble cake spreading frosting between layers. Frost top and sides with remaining frosting.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: KeepYouInStitches,

Picture of nance425
posted Hide Post
Well, it looks like I'll get to try some of the recipes you gals have suggested. Look at what the vendors will be offering outside? (I'll be inside in the hospitality room for a coupla hours being hospitable and making sure everyone is well fed...so they will come back next year.) Smile Good thing, cuz it's gonna be near 90/humid.

Amongst the offerings from the vendors:
A take on Cornbeef and Cabbage – Cornbeef meatballs with Braised Cabbage
Crowd favorites – Beer Battered Fish & Chips
Guinness Sheppard’s Pie
Johnny’s Chicken Wings with Guinness BBQ Sauce

Sweet treats – for adults
Apple Barley Pudding with optional shot of Jameson
Apple Pie made with 2 Gingers Whiskey
Chocolate whiskey bacon cookies
Inebriated Vanilla cookies
Drunken Caramel cakes
Stout cake with Irish Cream Ganache

I'll take pics if I can...

p.s. Sherry, do you think i could make your cake in a 9x13? (easier to transport)
And hey, Sherry, that's no frosting you posted. It's a darn huge BIC drink with that 13 cups of Baileys!!! Smile (I know, it's 1/3 cup)

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Nance -- where is it? In Minnesota -- I'm in the Cities for the weekend and we all love things Irish (although my Irish blood is but a trickle1)Is it in the Cities or somewhere else?

Martha

posted Hide Post
quote:
posted. It's a darn huge BIC drink with that 13 cups of Baileys!!! Smile (I know, it's 1/3 cup)

ROFLMBO!!!! Hiccup.....No wonder I had a hangover! Big Grin

Yes, I think it could be made in a 9 x 13 pan. You might put the frosting in a bowl and assemble before serving...Or just plop a spoonful on each piece of cake after it has been plated.

Picture of nance425
posted Hide Post
Sherry: might just try it in the 9x13...and just pack the frosting. We have use of a frig but not an oven. Hmmm, wonder if I can make a lil more cake batter and make it in an 11x17 sheet pan.

Picture of CA Lori
posted Hide Post
I think you could also do it in a bundt pan, which is so easy to tote and cut.

Posts: 6073 | Location: Calif. | Registered: Sep 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You could double the recipe. Bake 3/4 in the 11 x 17 pan and the remainder in a round or square layer pan to keep at home!

posted Hide Post

Posts: 836 | Registered: Sep 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
An old Irish friend told me this recipe.
Irish Cheddar Crisps
Ingredients:
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
3/4 teaspoon sugar
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup butter
1 1/2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
1/2 cup water, cold
2 tablespoons white vinegar
fresh coarse ground black pepper

Mix flour, cornmeal, sugar, salt, and baking soda in large bowl. Cut in butter with pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in cheese, water, and vinegar with fork until mixture forms soft dough. Cover dough and refrigerate 1 hour or freeze 30 minutes until firm.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease 2 large cookie sheets. Divide dough into 4 pieces. Roll each piece into paper-thin circle on floured surface. Sprinkle with pepper; press pepper firmly into dough.
Cut each circle into 8 wedges; place wedges on prepared cookie sheets. Bake about 10 minutes or until crisp. Store in airtight container for up to 3 days.

Classic Foods

Posts: 93 | Location: Killeen, Texas | Registered: Jul 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post