Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ants! Sign In/Join 
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted
So I get home from work yesterday and notice ants in the kitchen. Yowl!!!

Me: We have ants in here!
DH: Yeah, I know. I didn't know what you wanted to do with them.
Me: You could've picked them up one by one and gone outside to release them back in the wild.

Okay. I admit it. I grumbled that last statement under my breath. I took a damp cloth and wiped up as many as I could and drowned them in the sink. I went outside and found that there was a 'nest' of them where the screen room is secured to the outside brick. The only thing I could grab quick was the wasp spray so I saturated what I could. Back inside the house I took the plate off the switch for the light over the sink - they were coming in that electrical box. I sprayed with some cleaner(edited: not INSIDE the electrical box!) to knock out their 'pherenome' trail (or whatever the heck you call it). Wiped out more ants before going to bed. Repeat this morning. I also got the sprayer and mixed up some ant poison and sprayed around the outside of the house, drenching the screen room/brick wall connection...found another batch in the facing to the back door of the garage. sigh... Then I found the non-toxic to humans and pets pest control and (outside) sprayed a paper towel to wipe around the electric outlet. Finally when I walked back in the house after an hour outside to find DH on the couch I told him that he owed me $100...that's what we paid the exterminator the first time we had an ant invasion so I took over the job myself. Then I went for a dip in the pool...showered...dressed...finally ate breakfast at 10 a.m.

I didn't see the $100 but DH took me out to eat for lunch. Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: KeepYouInStitches,

Posts: 16562 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nance425
posted Hide Post
o, Sherry, whatta gal you are. You deserve that 100 bucks!!! I think that's exactly what my DH would have said to me. Not sure he would try to rid them right away or leave it to me. I did get him to vacuum the basement and made him use the edger because the spiders come from there. Smile

and hay, this is what I thought of when I read your story...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZInmx5Z_j0

Posts: 4582 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: Dec 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I forgot all about that song!

All afternoon yesterday, I would find an errant ant and "dispatch" it promptly. Sigh...this morning I had ANTS again. I wiped them up then soaked a paper towel with the inside spray and wiped around the light switch then just put the towel on the counter directly under the switch.

Posts: 16562 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by KeepYouInStitches:

Me: We have ants in here!
DH: Yeah, I know. I didn't know what you wanted to do with them.........[QUOTE]

LOL! Boy we could have a whole thread on answering that one! Big Grin

I'll go first..Razz

I was thinking about getting them all together and teaching them to sing "High Hopes".

Whether You Think You Can Or You Think You Can't..... You're Right - Henry Ford

Posts: 7290 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

posted Hide Post
I have used a product Terro when I've had an ant invasion(prone to that in FL).. Unfortunately, they seems to come out in force at first, but they eventually track it back to nest and within a few days and then I notice they're gone.

Posts: 3056 | Location: Michigan and sw Florida | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I feel as though as soon as the stuff I sprayed gets carried in and out that they will be gone. I just want them gone NOW! Smile

Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
Have you had alot of rain and moisture? Our local ants seem to like that.

Posts: 2642 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Nov 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wish! We are dry. Husband said that they probably came in looking for water. But they were not crawling in the sink...just around it.

I've resisted the urge to call him this afternoon as to whether they are still crawling around on the counter...it can wait until I get home.

posted Hide Post
No ants this afternoon. Smile

I left the "correct" spray in the corner of the kitchen floor. Husband said ants were still coming in, so he cut the power to the switch, took the cover off, and sprayed inside the box.

Fingers are crossed!

posted Hide Post
I have found ants to be persistent little creatures. In every house we've lived in here in southern CA, we've had multiple any invasions. Not fun.

Posts: 6052 | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of flboy
posted Hide Post
We just went through an invasion of white foot ants and paid hundreds of dollars to our lawn guy to spray in and outside of house. these ants were tiny, tiny. As soon as keepyouinstiches wrote about her problem our problem with ants are back BUT they are bigger and feel oily when picked up. I have killed 6 this a.m. alone. I have my sad face on.

html

Posts: 2422 | Location: Sarasota | Registered: Jan 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We use Terro here too. It works great just a drop or two and the ants take it back to their nest and kills the whole colony.

Posts: 512 | Registered: Dec 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
flboy, I'm sorry if I activated your ants. Frown
Wink

None in my house this morning.

Picture of flboy
posted Hide Post
Keep you in stiches, dh was all set to pay 100.00 to a chemical store and he decided to wait after hearing the price. The buggers seem to be gone at the moment. I did want to blame you for their invasion, but in real life I blamed Dh just for the fun of it.

html

Posts: 2422 | Location: Sarasota | Registered: Jan 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post