Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Food & Entertaining
  Comical Kitchen Mishaps, Disasters, Embarrassments Etc?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Comical Kitchen Mishaps, Disasters, Embarrassments Etc? Sign In/Join 
posted Hide Post
Kathy and Stitches, You all have good rules. Since my incident I don't put knives into the rinse or soapy water. I leave them on the sink. Experience is so passionately imprinted.
Thanks.

Posts: 770 | Registered: Sep 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of still tryin
posted Hide Post
Ah, Kathy they shouldn't have made you feel bad about getting a free lunch. My HS had the same thing and I ate the free lunch even though I had lunch money. They have to throw the food away that isn't eaten at the end of the day. I was always hungry when I was a kid and I was skinny. Wherever I ate the servers would fill up my plate, take a look at me and add more food until plate was so high they couldn't add more food.

You reminded me of story though. One day after school I was hungry so I made a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. I sat there enjoying my sandwich and started wondering why my brothers were looking at me in horror. I finally asked why they were looking at me like that. They said, "Didn't you notice that the jelly is full of ants?", which of course I hadn't.

Posts: 2647 | Registered: Jan 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You guys are making me laugh and cry at the same time. Hugs to all!

Posts: 6082 | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kathy_in_wlsv
posted Hide Post
Still Tryin! Your story reminded me of another from our house.

When our oldest was about 4 she used to pour Koolaid on the sidewalk to lure ants, which she would quickly scoop up and gobble. I about croaked seeing her do that, but she sincerely answered, "It tastes like crawly lemonade!"

Life is GOOD!!

Posts: 1544 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: Nov 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kathy_in_wlsv:

When I was done I went into the kitchen to clean up and looked at the can and saw I had used Purina Tuna flavor cat food. Back then both Star Kist and Purina had a kind of green checker board design and I hadn't looked real close at the can!!!

Oh, Kathy, how funny! Big Grin

I did the same thing (sort of) but in reverse! When my first bottle-fed kitten turned one year old (our poodle had adopted her doing all the "necessary" cleaning), I told my Mom that "Cat" should get a special birthday dinner ~ think I was about 11 at the time ~ so Mom said, "Go ahead and give her a can of tuna."

I did and couldn't believe it a few hours later when Mom started making dinner and, quite upset, found me and asked "just what is this, young lady?" as she held the empty can in her hand. Censored

I said, "But, Mom, you said it was okay to give Cat a can of tuna!" Seems Mom meant a can of Purina Tuna Catfood - not the one she intended to use for dinner to make a tuna casserole! Razz

We laughed about that incident for years ~ especially the fact that we ended up having Creamed Chipped Beef on Toast (SOS) that night which I absolutely did not like! Yuck

Posts: 6492 | Registered: Jan 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Love these stories! Thanks

Picture of Quiltzilla
posted Hide Post
Not draining the noodles reminds me of a dinner for friends early in our marriage...
I forgot to drain the green beans when I made the green bean casserole. One of our guests asked for more "of that slurpy green stuff!"
We still call it that, but you can be sure I always remember to drain the cans now!

Posts: 6653 | Registered: Aug 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
I absolute hate it when somebody puts ANYTHING into my dishwater. I have a certain order in how I wash dishes and I don't want it messed with. And anybody who would put a knife in there is gonna get an ear full!!!

The only cooking adventure I remember was when I was about 12 or 13 and had cooked my first meal all by myself. Fried chicken, mashed potatoes, peas, biscuits and cake for dessert. However, the cake didn't rise for some reason and the layers were about a half inch thick. Wouldn't you know we had a drop in for supper. And he promptly stated that it looked like an elephant had stepped on the cake. He ate it anyway, and it did taste okay.

I'm sure there have been others but I've put them out of my mind. Smile

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6478 | Location: Northwest Florida | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Quiltzilla,

That slurpy green stuff sounds yummy. LOve your story!

Florida Farm Girl,
Gee, that guest was rude to say such a thing! Oh My Gosh. I would have dreamed of showing him to the door promptly.

Your story reminds me of an effort my dad made to prepare breakfast during my mother's absence. Her youngest sister was in the hospital in another state. She was visiting her, so my dad did his best to feed us. He was one of those men who did not cook. His eggs were dry and weirdly flavored. I choked them down and appreciated my mom's cooking all the more. I was in elementary school. I didn't let my dad know how much I hated his cooking. I thought that I would hurt his feelings. Imagine that.

Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
Leafly, that's why I was learning how to cook at 12 years old. To be the cook if Mama was sick or something. Daddy hated to cook, although he could do it if he had to. And g*od forbid he wash dishes!!

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6478 | Location: Northwest Florida | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mine isn't so much a disaster as a live and learn. I was in my thirties so I should have known that baking powder loses its oomph, but I didn't. I had gotten into the habit of doubling the amount of baking powder I used on the rare occasions that I made pancakes. Then we moved from southern Louisiana to Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. I certainly didn't know that elevation affects baking. Well, I had bought a fresh can of baking powder and was making pancakes my usual way--doubling the amount. That combined with the altitude turned my pancakes into REAL cakes. They tasted fine, but talk about fluffy!!!!!!

Posts: 3391 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Miss Lensews2
posted Hide Post
I have certainly enjoyed reading these stories & when I hear stories like this the first thing that comes to mind is my "Pudding Fiasco" Sorry for the length of this but just had to share:

DS had many Sunday dinners at his GF's house. He raved about her mother's boiled vanilla pudding. I asked Thereasa about it & she gave me the recipe/directions. Simple ingredients mixed together then put into an empty margarine tub, wrapped in tinfoil & put into the pot with the boiling vegetables. When ready to serve, remove from the pot, peel back the tinfoil, open the plastic tub & empty out the cooked pudding & slice. OK so I give it a try & it works out perfectly. DS raves about how good it was, even tells Thereasa's mom how good it was. Proud as a peacock I was. They say pride commeth before the fall right?

OK, the following Sunday I try it again. I should tell you that I don't have a lot of counter space. I have one counter on one side of my kitchen under the cabinets. The toaster is on that counter & the tub of butter is always on that counter. My other counter is on the other side of the kitchen, where the sink is located, kinda like an L shape. It was at the sink counter that I was working preparing my ingredients exactly as I had done the week before. Mixed it all together & then I was ready to put it into the tub & wrap it in tinfoil, so I moved my batter/bowl to the other counter because the tinfoil is in the upper cabinet over on that side of the kitchen. Gets the tinfoil, fulls out a long piece stretched out on that counter, places tub in the center of it, wraps up the sides & drops it into my pot of boiled Jiggs dinner, same as I did the week before.

Just as everything was ready to be served, who should drop in but Thereasa & her mother. I asked them to stay & have supper with us, I had Jiggs dinner on & I had made her vanilla pudding. Yes she says, Andrew & Thereasa told me you had made it & how good it was.

So I start to dish it up. Had a feeling something was wrong as soon as I felt how light it was. Should have felt heavier than that. When I took the cover off my jaw dropped! The tub was full of liquid! Looked like canola oil or something. Joanne laughed & asked what did I do - forget to put the flour in it? I said I put flour in it, my batter was nice & thick, I didn't know what had happened to it, it must have leaked or something. Well we had our Jiggs dinner without vanilla pudding that Sunday.

Next morning is Monday & I'm getting ready for work. Makes my toast & goes to butter it & the tub of butter is not on the counter where it always is. Looks in the breadbox & in the fridge & no butter. Looks over on the other counter by the sink & there is the tub. Says to self "what's it doing over there"? gets it, opens it up to butter my toast & wish I could show you the quizzical look that came over my face when I looked inside. It did not contain butter. I didn't know what it was. It looked like leftover porridge. What? I haven't had any cooked porridge, where did this come from? Then it hits me. This was my pudding! I had cooked my tub of butter!!!!

Posts: 5270 | Location: ~ if I'm not here...I wish I was. ~  | Registered: May 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post

Posts: 16913 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Miss Lensews2,

I love your story. Thanks for sharing.

I have a bit of a story about baking powder. I let my baking powder reside in the spice cabinet long past it's expiration date. I had used it for some inconsequential dishes where it wasn't needed for it's full strength.
When I made biscuits they were too flat. Finally, I started the search for problems. I checked the date, threw out the can and bought new powder. The biscuits were much better after that. Not too comical but true.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Leafly,

posted Hide Post
I've got a new one. This morning I dumped a whole carton of eggs on the floor beneath the refrigerator door. Twelve eggs, all busted. That took forever to clean up. (Wrinkled face)

posted Hide Post
Yuck.
It's too late now and there's no telling how much it would take, but years ago I read/heard that if you poured salt on a busted egg on the floor, it helped make the cleanup easier. ??? I don't know if it cuts the slime or what.

Posts: 16913 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kathy_in_wlsv
posted Hide Post
This isn't abuot me but my sister..

Both she and I have a tradition of oyster stew for NY Eve. We make it simply, evaporated (canned) milk, water, butter, oysters. she adds corn, I don't.

Several years ago my BIL was putting together their oyster stew, he had the milk simmering, added the butter and the rest of the ingredients, when the oysters edges were curled nicely, they dished up the stew, added oyster crackers and began eating..

and nearly barfed.. "OMG!!! what did you put in here?" "the usual... milk corn, butter, oysters, a little water.."

My sister got up and looked in the trash at the empty can of evaporated milk and saw that BIL had used SWEETENED CONDENSED milk meant for cookie bars instead of regular evaporated milk.

Life is GOOD!!

Posts: 1544 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: Nov 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Love it! Kathy

Stitches, If I drop eggs again. I'll try the salt. THANK you.

Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
quote:
when I hear stories like this the first thing that comes to mind is my "Pudding Fiasco"

Do you still have that recipe? I would like to try it and I'm assuming that you can just put it into boiling water without any vegetables, right?

Posts: 12489 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Spanish Revival
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Miss Lensews2:

...wraps up the sides & drops it into my pot of boiled Jiggs dinner, same as I did the week before.

Am I the only one who doesn't know what a Jiggs dinner is? [Funny story!]

Posts: 941 | Location: Florida | Registered: Aug 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've never heard the term.

posted Hide Post
I had never heard it but did an online search when I saw Miss L's post.

I'm sure she will be back to give her version, but you can search for the term and recipe online.