Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Food & Entertaining
  Comical Kitchen Mishaps, Disasters, Embarrassments Etc?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Comical Kitchen Mishaps, Disasters, Embarrassments Etc? Sign In/Join 
posted
I'll go first. I was trying to perfect an original creation today. I was tired and rushed into the kitchen because I had left it in the oven longer than I meant to. So, hurriedly I pulled it out only to drop the whole chocolate mess face down on the floor.--- Wished I had a dog to eat it. ---Should have borrowed a neighbor"s Saint Bernard or Great Dane but I don't know anyone with those breeds. I used a spatula to put it in an empty Dorito bag. I didn't do any clean up until the steaming glop cooled off. The stupid thing had to bake for one hour. Wasted afternoon, Ruined my diet too. The chocolate sauce prepated separately did that along with the hamburgers made for dinner. I should have painted my nails instead but I've been lucky. Today was the first time in my memory that I dropped a dish after taking it right out of the oven.

Do you have memories or disasters to share?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Leafly,

Posts: 784 | Registered: Sep 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Awww, Leafy. Hugs to you. Don't beat yourself up over either of the mishaps. The cake wasn't meant to be and you were meant to go off of your diet for a day or two. That is ok!

Gee, just about every time I go into the kitcen, it's a disaster. I just have no skill in there. So no funny stories to tell though I remember my mom telling me that she had dropped a chicken taking it out of the oven. She said one would have thought this chicken dropped out of the sky the way it went splat. I still chuckle about her story--wasn't there to witness it myself. Bless her soul.

Posts: 6082 | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry you had a kitchen mishap, Leafly. I always hate it when I drop something that's sticky. It seems like I find little drips and spatters of it for weeks afterwards no matter how carefully I clean.

Posts: 1900 | Registered: Aug 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
I'm not talking about diet - that is a four letter word!

Back "in the day" when I was still frying quite a lot of good stuff... Wink ... I strained the not-too-hot-to-deal-with Crisco back into the can. Put the lid on it, picked it up, and as I turned around...it slipped. It was pretty close to being full. As I felt it go, I just tipped it into the corner of the kitchen so that it wouldn't cover everything.

I don't know how many rolls of paper towels I used, then a couple of old car wash towels. Then my mop. After all that...I went to town and bought a new mop...

Posts: 17073 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Leafly, Sorry for your mishap but thanks for posting a fun new topic that I'm sure most will relate to ~ myself? Worse kitchen disaster ever was when I was a young college student living in a small apartment, started boiling some eggs and forgot about them until I heard the explosion from the next room after all the water had boiled away! Yes, they truly do EXPLODE !!! Took several days of climbing ladders to scrub the CEILING, walls, floors and more to completely clean it all up plus the smell? Yuck

My mother had taught me better but I did learn from my mistake ~ never again have I left boiling eggs unattended! Cool

PS. Good thing you didn't have any dogs available to help clean up the mess ~ chocolate is a complete no-no for dogs/not because of fat or weight issues but because it can k*ill them...

Posts: 6492 | Registered: Jan 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quiltzilla
posted Hide Post
Once when we were first married I dropped a full glass jar of mayo & it exploded all over! What a nasty mess. It was slippery for days.

Posts: 6658 | Registered: Aug 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of peppermintpattitotherescue
posted Hide Post
Hello Leafly and Everyone,
Having a chocolate sauce wouldn't be a problem with us. Sorry about your cake.
When we used to give 4th of July parties I cooked everything from scratch. This year I am about to discuss we had 85 people for the party. I made tons of everything, tried to get as much done before the day of the party. Decided I didn't have enough food, so I thought, I will make macaroni and cheese, 2 huge casserole dishes of. Decided that I could cook the macaroni and layer it with the cheese, pour the milk on it the day of the party. Well, when I took it out of the refrig, I had a solid block of macaroni and the milk would not penetrate it. Argh what to do I have people already arriving. So I poked holes into the mass and threw some milk on it stuck it in the oven baked and served. I had people tell me that it was the best they had ever had. Argh, I decided then and there that most people didn't know anything about cooking.

Save Planet Earth, it is the only Planet with chocolate!!

Posts: 993 | Location: Camarillo, California | Registered: Mar 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
Kitchen mishaps - fun topic!

I have had many, but the first one that came to mind was a couple of years ago. I am pretty well known for my pies, and my (big) family looks forward to the 7 or 8 I make for thanksgiving. As they all eagerly dished up and started to eat the slices of pumpkin pie there were some pretty funny faces being made. Turns out I forgot the sugar. Let me tell you, they haven't let me forget it!

Posts: 7186 | Registered: Apr 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kathy_in_wlsv
posted Hide Post
I have several mishaps mostly from my first year of marriage. But for tonight I'll post this one.

My mom had baked all our bread all through my childhood and I thought it might be nice to try. I followed the recipe, kneaded it well then looked for a warm place to let it rise.. well.. what could be a nicer warm place than an oven at oh maybe 250 degrees??

It rose and smelled great. I beat it down again, shaped it into a loaf and baked it.

When it came out of the oven it was gorgeous! just beautiful, and perfumed the whole house. I went to slice off a nice slab for DH and discovered I couldn't cut it, not even with a hacksaw!!!

I varnished it and we used it as a doorstop for several years!..

I DID learn to bake bread and did my own bread for many years.. But I fondly remember that first loaf.

Life is GOOD!!

Posts: 1562 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: Nov 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
I also had the "forgot about boiling eggs" b.o.m.b in the kitchen. I wonder how high they would have went if I didn't have 8ft. ceilings at the time? Big Grin

Life is a great big canvas...throw all the paint on it you can.
Danny Kaye

Posts: 7422 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
LOL I boiled eggs dry once as a teenager but caught it in time before the explosion. Thank goodness!

The first gravy I made - the spoon stood up in it. It looked like a jello. The dog tried to bury it.

1st DH was telling his co-workers how he got homemade biscuits nearly every morning (when I wasn't working outside the home). One said something about his wife's biscuits being like bricks. I whipped up some salt dough and baked a few biscuits for DH to share. Wink The office manager kept his on his desk as a paperweight for years.

Posts: 17073 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
I had the biscuit mishap...my son said they could be used for hocky pucks and our dog wouldn't even try to eat them!
I've never boiled any eggs dry but I sure did some fresh green beans one time...talk about stink! I didn't have any room freshener so I used my hubby's spray cologne...and I don't remember the name of it, but it did NOT mix with burnt green beans...I still can't stand the smell of it....this was back in the 70's, so an older men's cologne.

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4853 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
These are fantastic stories. I'm so glad we're not perfect. Life is much more fun that way!

posted Hide Post
Smart cat! Big Grin

Posts: 6492 | Registered: Jan 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kathy_in_wlsv
posted Hide Post
I've posted this before, but it's too good to not reshare.

In 1999 I was fixing Thanksgiving dinner and everything was steaming along nicely. I had the potatoes nearly done boiling, needed maybe 10 more minutes, and was ready to take the turkey out.

I moved the potatoes to the back of the stove, opened the oven door and realized I hadn't cleared space on the table to set it down to rest (I have a porcelain table so heat's not an issue.) So I closed the door and turned back to the table when I heard a loud and ominous "CLUNK"

The oven had somehow turned itself on to the self clean cycle and I could NOT turn it off or get the door unlocked.

I was scrambling around and Becky asked "should we call uncle Roy to come down to the house? (Mark is EXTREMELY Un handy.)
I replied "Why? do you think he'll stick his pen*is in it and make it unlock?"

So I was still struggling and told her to go get my biggest chisel and hammer.. I got the top lifted only part way, maybe a half inch, stuck the chisel in there and blasted the darn thing open..
The glass on the door cracked and I saw a whoosh of fire as the turkey slid into the back wall and slopped grease everywhere.

I grabbed the box of baking soda, yanked the now hanging door open and threw about a ton of baking soda into the oven, all over the turkey and stuffing.

I got the turkey out, covered in baking soda and told Becky to wash it off with a clean dish rag. And I gave a satisfied "THERE" Mark woke up from his reading daze and asked " There what? is dinner ready?"

Suddenly I realized that all this time the potatoes had been soaking in their water, and when I used a spoon to scoop one up it just fell apart..
I drained them as best I could the water was thick LOL.. and did an interesting mash job..

Dinner was served, everyone enjoyed it thoroughly and towards the end of dinner mark asked " did you do something different with the skin? It really tastes extra good this year."

"Yeaah honey.. I did a baking soda rub."
I thought Becky and I would die laughing..

Life is GOOD!!

Posts: 1562 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: Nov 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know what would happen if you flip the breaker to the oven if it's accidently locked into self-clean. It would turn it off...I don't know if the door lock would release. But I'll keep that thought in mind...just in case. Wink

Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
Speaking of self cleaning ovens, I need to go turn mine on! Thanks for the reminder!!!!!

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6591 | Location: Northwest Florida | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of still tryin
posted Hide Post
Oh I have had some funny experiences like boiling potatoes dry when was teenager. Adding way to much popcorn to a pot and having popcorn all over the stove and kitchen floor.

When I was teenager my friend and I decided to learn how to make Coq au Vin. We made it at her house and invited her adult siblings and spouses for a dinner party. We couldn't get the sauce to ignite when we lit it so we kept pouring more and more cognac onto the chicken. After emptying the bottle here father came home and told us we were supposed to warm the cognac before pouring but he did manage to light it for a second. We served everyone dinner and waited on them. We had to use bowls because there was so much cognac. Her sister spooned all of the sauce from her bowl and drank it. It wasn't very long before she started listing from side to side and her head started to bend over her bowl. My friend and I wondered if her head was going to land in the bowl. She wasn't a drinker and we got her drunk because we didn't burn off the alcohol from the cognac.

One of the dumber things I did as an adult was holding a colander in one hand and a pot of boiling pasta in the other. I poured out the pot aiming for the colander but poured the boiling water and pasta over my hand as well as the colander. I wouldn't let go of the colander because I didn't want dinner to be ruined. I really added one dumb move on top of another because I had 5 other bags of pasta in the cupboard and I only paid 99 cents for each bag of imported Italian pasta. I had a lovely huge second degree burn blister on my hand as a result.

Posts: 2653 | Registered: Jan 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ack, still! Hugs to you for that one!

Kathy, did you have to buy a new oven?

I don't know if you guys will think this is funny or not but I'll tell it. When visiting my out-of-state then-boyfriend (now husband), his refrigerator had all sorts of yellow globs of whatever it was on the outside it. So I asked what the globs were.

Turns out, he had a can of that construction spray foam crack filler (or whatever it is) that exploded when it was sitting on his counter. He said this happened right before he was going to work so he didn't have time to clean it up. He said the stuff went everywhere and I could still see signs of it on some of the doors, too, but the fridge was the worst--I guess he couldn't get the stuff off there no matter how hard he tried.

Posts: 6082 | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm LOL. Keep these stories coming. I love them. I hope that your oven was very old so that you didn't feel bad if you had to buy a new one, Kathy in wisv.

Mmm, that chicken sounds deliriously delicious, still tryin.

posted Hide Post
Over last 3-4 months have had TWO baking potatoes totally EXPLODE all over inside of oven?? Each time thoroughly poked?? First one... knew was about done and reached in with oven mitt to give it a squeeze just to check. ALL of the potato flew out of the skin and all over inside of oven... just empty skin in mitt? Second time was a week or 2 ago... again well poked but exploded anyway?

Have been comfortable in kitchen since before I was a teenager... thanks to the cooking basics from my Grandmother. Dad was a fan of cooking show when they were only on public tv... Julia, Jeff Smith, Graham Kerr, etc. He was also a BIG beef man... not "beefy", but love his steaks... never more than medium-rare... as they SHOULD be, imnsho!?! So after watching some cooking show, decided SUnday dinner would be Beef Wellington... I was maybe 17-18 yo. I checked out cookbook... BIG ** hunka tenderloin baked in pastry crust... seemed simple enough. Was bragging to myself before it went into oven... looked wonderful!! When it came out of oven... it looked FABULOUS... like something right outta JUlia's kitchen! Dad, 14-ish yo brother, sister and grandparents sit down at the diningroom table. Dad could not CUT thru the crust?!? Picture younger brother LITERALLY ROFL and Grandfather trying to convince me it was "fine"!! We hadda almost CHISEL the crust off... but luckily big $ beef was perfectly pink all the way thru inside.

Posts: 5637 | Location: mount holly, NJ, USA | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Your Grandfather sounds like a perfect grandparent, Chairlady. Wow, were the potatoes in a microwave? Maybe the voltage was higher than usual that day. Voltage can rise and fall according to the grid and other situations.

posted Hide Post
This was my mother's disaster. I was in awe of my mom. I don't remember her ever making a chicken from scratch except this time. By scratch I mean that she had the whole n*ked bird over our kitchen sink trying to get some minute feathers out the skin or something like that. I was very young, probably early elementary school age. I don't know who gave her the bird because we didn't raise them. Anyway she had it facing up with the ammunition pointed in her direction. She squeezed the bird the wrong way and bam, was hit in the eye with chicken d---. She sputtered and spewed a choice work similar to what she had been hit with. I laughed and laughed while she rubbed the mess off her face. I didn't see my mom make too many mistakes.___

My mom never said that, word, that I hinted at in public but I did hear it a few times in the privacy of our home.-- Not many times but a few.

Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
This is not my kitchen disaster but DH's. In January I took a cruise with my sister and left DH home with the dogs. When I got home late after a 12+ hour drive from Ft Lauderdale I walked in and the house smelled awful!!! Hold your nose awful.

A day or so before DH was browning ground beef (why he had to cook when I left a refrigerator and freezer full of food is beyond my understanding) when he left the room to return to smoke and almost fire. The pan was Teflon coated and caused a horrible stench. DH had tried airing out the house, wiped the counters, etc. But it stunk!

So my first day home from vacation was spend dismantling the kitchen and scrubbing every surface. It took days to get the remnants of his ground beef out of the house.

Fun and Info

Posts: 3517 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
LOL These are such fun! Since only one happened to me. Wink

I walked in from work one day many years ago to a kitchen with the cleanest floor. Son was small at the time and 'fessed up.' Seems he and his dad decided to run the dishwasher. I was out of DWer detergent so husband squirted a healthy squirt of regular dish detergent in the dispenser. Suds everywhere.

I personally know three men who have done this. I think mine (husband and son) were the only guys who cleaned it up. Husband would've never told and jokingly told son to never tell all he knew. LOL

posted Hide Post
Charming, It sounds like you need a house sitter for your husband.

Keep you stitches, My son did that once.

I found a porcelain doll today which had a repaired skull. It was broken and the guilty party had repaired it without telling me. Hmmm, there are three male culprits in this household.

Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
LOL, I know the feeling Sherry!
We grew up without a dishwasher so I had no idea they used a special detergent. I was visiting a friend when I was about 20 and did the same thing, put regular dishwashing liquid in the machine. When she got home I told her the machine was broken because it leaked suds all over the place. It was about an hour before she stopped laughing.

Danny Kaye

Posts: 7422 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kathy_in_wlsv
posted Hide Post
Another of my all time favorite disasters.

we were very newly married and I made baked chicken, just plain cut up, salted, peppered baked chicken. Mark sat at the table, kind of poking it with his fork, gamely eating a bite every few minutes. I had a bad cold and wasn't all that hungry anyway.

So as only a newly wed 20 year old girl can, I got all huffy and said "well FINE if you don't want to eat it, don't eat it! I'll just throw it in the garbage!"

So to show him just how mad I was I picked up the platter and walked out of the apartment to toss the chicken into the dumpster in the alley, rather than just in the kitchen garbage can.

When I got outside, suddenly my sinuses cleared. I could smell rotting carrion. someplace in the alley was a long dead animal, maybe a dead raccoon or skunk. I looked around and realized it was my freshly baked chicken....

I had purchased it maybe 2 months before and left it sitting in the fridge before cooking it, and with my cold didn't smell that it was rotten.

My poor sweet loving DH tried to eat it just because I cooked with my tiny little hands... poor boy. He REALLY loves me.

Life is GOOD!!

Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
OMG, Kathy!! That boy must love you to have done that. I can't even imagine! It must be funny now, but certainly not at the time.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6591 | Location: Northwest Florida | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kathy

I think you are in a top position for the prize. Wow! Your husband is a top prize too. I love gentlemen.

posted Hide Post
Yep. I believe Kathy wins this "contest." Phew!!!! Just the idea of rotten chicken almost makes me gag now.

Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
LOL and EWWWW at the same time!

Danny Kaye

posted Hide Post
I'm glad it wasn't close to meal time when I read that. LOL

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leafly:
This could be a disaster, not quite, but....

A month ago I tried to enter my cookie recipe and a dessert recipe into the Pillsbury contest but I couldn't put them in my file there until later. So, I stored them in my house somewhere. Guess what? I cleaned house, I had company in and I did this that and the other. So yesterday I thought it's time to log those recipes in before the deadline. Couldn't find them. Nope, Nada, not anywhere. So last night I try to remember the cookie one and I type it in. Today I ran out and bought ingredients again to make sure that I remembered what I did. Sheesh!
I'm going to gain so much weight after sampling all those carbs. Ka Thump, Ka Thump, Here I go across the floor ten pounds heavier than before. !!!
Oh well I ended up entering two cookie recipes that were similar. I also make a dessert recipe. Its worth a try but not worth the weight. Now I've got to clean my kitchen. Good bye.

Good luck with the contest, Leafly!

posted Hide Post
Thank you so much Graciepj

posted Hide Post
Was super busy trying to make a bunch of dishes at once. Went to make gravy and had flour and other stuff in clear containers. Grabbed the wrong one and made a baking soda roux instead of flour roux. The bubbles were impressive though!

Posts: 50 | Registered: Feb 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Love it, earthlings3

Makes Me think of a nice pedicure, after getting dirt in my shoes. (SMILE) Those bubbles would be great for that.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leafly:
Oil makes me think of my handy dad who is now deceased. He came to my house and was doing something mechanical. I can't remember what it was. Maybe he was oiling a lawnmover or something. He must have used 1/4th or more of a bottle of olive oil. Yikes. It's expensive. I had vegetable oil too.

I loved my dad's escapades. He had a habit of getting up in the night and raiding the leftoversi in the fridge. After a holiday meal my mother put meat scraps in a bowl for the dog.
The next morning she couldn't find them. My dad had mistakenly eaten plate scrapes during the night. Yum!

Yikes! I guess it didn't hurt your dad, but it was sad for the doggie...no holiday treat.

posted Hide Post
Graciepj,

Just so no one had a cold. eeeeu. Dogs do love meat.

Picture of Kathy_in_wlsv
posted Hide Post
I made meatloaf tonight, one of our favorite meals.. So I remembered and told the kids about the first meatloaf I made as a new bride.. (that first year was....interesting..foodwise.)

DH worked nights so sleep was very precious to him. I decided to make meatloaf and thought I'd add cubed cheese to it. I figured if a little cheese was good LOTS and LOTS of cheese had to be better.

I fixed the meatloaf, put it in the oven and as I did back then set the timer. I knew nothing about cooking by sense of smell or by how the food looked.

When the timer dinged, I woke up DH. He was sitting up groggy having had maybe 3 hours of sleep to go on another full shift. THEN I opened the oven..

I had a cake pan FULL of liquid cheese with bits of meatloafy..ish bits floating in it..apparently more was NOT better..

I grabbed some bread, put it on the plate and poured the mess over it and told him it was "hot meat cheese sandwich..'' he ate it of course. sweet boy.

He still swears it actually tasted pretty good.

Life is GOOD!!

posted Hide Post
That sounds yummy to me. You saved the meal and the day. Thank you Kathy

posted Hide Post
Gotta love husbands (and other family members) who eat our messes and swear that it was good. LOL

posted Hide Post
I agree KeepYouinStitches. We have an acquaintance who can't cook... well. Hmm, should I say more. She baked some chicken pieces and took them to a large group gathering. The bird was dry and hard. No one touched it. Another family member ate a few of her breakfasts. It's reported that she can't even scramble eggs. Her poor husband, he looks charmed when he eats at other people's homes.
I'll wager that those husbands who grew up in homes where their mom couldn't cook are very appreciative of yummy mistakes.

The others are adonises in heart if they eat disasters with a smile.

One of my bosses had a husband who wouldn't touch leftovers. She was a working woman. He was a public school teacher. She recalled that he was especially critical one night so she picked up the dish and threw it out the door.

Gotta love the patient guys.

posted Hide Post
I had never had lasagna til I married into an Italian family. Of course I decided I could make it, so I got the recipe from DH's grandmom.
Unfortunatly, she didn't mention that you have to dry off the lasagna noodles! DH still talks about the time I made lasagna soup! It was actually pretty good when we drained off the extra liquid.

Posts: 2991 | Registered: Jul 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Holly, I love it.

Picture of Kathy_in_wlsv
posted Hide Post
Leafy, I have a HUGE phobia about cutting myself when doing dishes. All my life the rule has been "knives above the sink to be washed one at a time, and glasses on the counter to be washed separately." I have not cut myself in 55 years of washing dishes.

However once when I was putting a pile of dishes into a bus pan in a cafe I impaled my hand on a broken glass.. so I am adament about the knives and glasses being kept where I can see them.

Not funny either but maybe a huge safety rule around here.

Life is GOOD!!

posted Hide Post
While still a teenager I boiled eggs dry. I caught them before they exploded...in my mother's kitchen. WHEW!

The stinkiest thing I've ever done - I had some brand new silicone baking mats. I lined a cookie sheet with them and plopped some cookie dough on them. Before the cookies were baked, a stink filled the house and the smoke alarm went off. I jerked them out of the oven, transferred the half-baked cookies to parchment line cookie sheets to finish baking. I threw the silicone sheets in the trash.

Knives! My mother taught me - no knives in a sink full of soapy water. Knives are placed on the counter and only the person washing the dishes handles them. Husband is - I mean WAS bad about walking through the kitchen and while I was working in there he closed cabinet doors, put dirty bowls and utensils in the sink - stuff like that. I don't know how many times I would turn around with flour on my hands wanting to grab an ingredient I forgot to set out only to discover the pantry door closed. One day while cleaning the kitchen, I reached into the sink to pick up the cutting board that husband had put in there behind my back. He put the knife in the sink first. I sliced the pad of my middle finger for about an inch - not deep but long. I sorta came unglued on him...don't mess with my stuff unless you want to do all the cooking and the cleanup. He tiptoed through the kitchen for a long time after that. Recently he's started closing doors again...I tell him that I'm not through in there....

Picture of Kathy_in_wlsv
posted Hide Post
Years ago I was a mother's helper/ nanny for a family with a new baby. The mom used formula and we had to sterilize the bottles and nipples in boiling water.

One day I managed to get completely distracted supervising the kids outdoors and the water boiled away and the rubber nipples boiled away as well.

We had burned rubber odor forever it seemed. I scrubbed out the inside of every cupboard and drawer in that house..

Life is GOOD!!

Picture of Kathy_in_wlsv
posted Hide Post
Posting about tuna reminded me of a mishap from high school. When I was in HS one of my usual after school snacks was a tuna sandwich. I often didn't eat lunch because they made such an embarrassing deal about getting the free lunch because my father had died.

Anyway, one day I made my tuna salad sandwich and was eating it and thought, "mmm this tastes a little different.." I was REALLY hungry that day, so I made a second sandwich and ate that one too.

When I was done I went into the kitchen to clean up and looked at the can and saw I had used Purina Tuna flavor cat food. Back then both Star Kist and Purina had a kind of green checker board design and I hadn't looked real close at the can!!!

Life is GOOD!!

posted Hide Post
Oh Kathy, Cat Food! I hope you didn't lick your hand to clean your ear after that. Hope it had lots of protein. Good Story!