Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Food & Entertaining
  lemon pound cake
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

lemon pound cake Sign In/Join 
Picture of junk collector
posted
Anyone have a rock solid recipe for a from scratch lemon pound cake? I'm looking to earn my baker' s hat back after the layer cake fiasco so am turning to folks I trust! I know the chocolate mayo cake so many of you recommended was great, so hope there's a lemon recipe out there!

I have ordered new pans too btw. Two eight in rounds and a very pretty fleur de lis bundt pan. I'm not a frosting person, so a pretty design is welcome.

Posts: 3454 | Registered: Aug 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
I always use Ina Garten's lemon pound cake is my go to and often I have one in the freezer for it's a great quick dessert. It is baked in a loaf pan, however, instead of a bundt or tube pan.

Martha

LEMON YOGURT POUND CAKE

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 cup plain whole-milk yogurt
1 1/3 cups sugar, divided
3 extra-large eggs
2 teaspoons grated lemon zest (2 lemons)
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
For the glaze:
1 cup confectioners' sugar
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
Directions

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an 8 1/2 by 4 1/4 by 2 1/2-inch loaf pan. Line the bottom with parchment paper. Grease and flour the pan.

Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt into 1 bowl. In another bowl, whisk together the yogurt, 1 cup sugar, the eggs, lemon zest, and vanilla. Slowly whisk the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. With a rubber spatula, fold the vegetable oil into the batter, making sure it's all incorporated. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for about 50 minutes, or until a cake tester placed in the center of the loaf comes out clean.

Meanwhile, cook the 1/3 cup lemon juice and remaining 1/3 cup sugar in a small pan until the sugar dissolves and the mixture is clear. Set aside.

When the cake is done, allow it to cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Carefully place on a baking rack over a sheet pan. While the cake is still warm, pour the lemon-sugar mixture over the cake and allow it to soak in. Cool.

For the glaze, combine the confectioners' sugar and lemon juice and pour over the cake.

Posts: 6295 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That sounds yummy! I have several loaf pans - do you use glass or metal?

Do you know what I like best about lemons? It gives me a chance to use the great big glass (vintage) reamer I picked up at the flea market. I LOVE that thing. Must have been made for oranges as it holds a lot of juice.

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
I use pottery -- emile henry.

Martha

Posts: 6295 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tea Lover
posted Hide Post
This is not a pound cake, but it is a very good lemon cake.

Glazed Lemon Cake
Silver Palate Cookbook

2 sticks butter, softened
2 cups sugar
3 eggs
3 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup buttermilk
2 tightly packed tablespoons grated lemon zest
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice

Preheat oven to 325º. Grease 10-inch tube pan.

Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time, blending well after each addition.

Sift together flour, baking soda and salt. Stir dry ingredients into egg mixture alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with dry ingredients. Add lemon zest and juice. Pour batter into prepared tube pan. Set on the middle rack of the oven and bake for 1 hour and 5 minutes, or until cake pulls away from sides of pan and a tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool cake in the pan, set on a rack, for 10 minutes. Remove cake from pan and spread on icing at once, while cake is still hot. 8-10 servings

Lemon Icing

1/2 pound powdered sugar
1/2 stick butter, softened
1 1/2 tightly packed tablespoons grated lemon zest
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice

Cream sugar and butter. Mix in lemon zest and juice; spread on warm cake.

Posts: 591 | Location: So Calif | Registered: Feb 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Could this be made in loaf pans and will it freeze?

Posts: 2304 | Location: Arkansas Zone 7 | Registered: Aug 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Mine can and I do! In fact I ONLY make it in loaf pans.

Martha

posted Hide Post
Good tip! I like to make more than one and freeze for later with cake recipes too.

Looking forward to trying both these recipes. Maybe one for home and one for work. Wink

posted Hide Post
Linderhof, I tried the pound cake and it turned out be very flavourful and tasty.

Classic Foods

Posts: 93 | Location: Killeen, Texas | Registered: Jul 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of beedeeess
posted Hide Post
Most pound cake recipes are pretty similar. Look at the recipes and you will see ingredient amounts are pretty much the same. Just pick a pound cake recipe and substitute lemon extract for the vanilla.

Same for the icing(most call for vanilla extract) except I think the lemon extract is a little stronger tasting than vanilla so I would do a little less...you can always add more.

Posts: 301 | Location: Southampton, NJ | Registered: Nov 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Dena -- glad you liked it!

Beedeeess -- I would add lemon peel instead of the extract. Lemon peel is full of flavor!

Martha

Picture of beedeeess
posted Hide Post
Good call Linderhof! If I had lemons I would also use the zest or at least top the cake with zest.

Posts: 301 | Location: Southampton, NJ | Registered: Nov 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post