Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Food & Entertaining
  Need a side dish suggestion/recipe
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need a side dish suggestion/recipe Sign In/Join 
Picture of CA Lori
posted
I have to bring one for our cruise-out on Friday. I'd either like something I can make at home on Thursday or something easy to throw together on the boat on Friday. I do have an electric stovetop/oven available.

Any suggestions?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CA Lori,

Posts: 5887 | Location: Calif. | Registered: Sep 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Potato salad?

Posts: 1727 | Registered: Aug 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nance425
posted Hide Post
How 'bout Asian salad (coleslaw with ramen noodles made with Asian dressing)

Posts: 4582 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: Dec 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
I like vegetable salads with oil and vinegar type dressing. My Plan B that I've posted many times with broccoli and cherry tomatoes; then there is corn (frozen), onion of some sort (green, red, whatever), bell pepper (I use a different color than the onion so the salad is colorful) and then you can just pour on bottled Italian type dressing (your favorite) or use oil and vinegar (although if you're going to refrigerate it, I would use vegetable oil as olive oil gets yucky in the fridge)

Martha

Posts: 5406 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CA Lori
posted Hide Post
The Asian Salad might be a good choice. I've brought potato salad before.

Martha, is there no lettuce in your corn salad?

Posts: 5887 | Location: Calif. | Registered: Sep 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
No. Just corn, onion and peppers. It's colorful and I always bring home an empty bowl.

Martha

Posts: 5406 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
CA Lori, Both nances and Linderhof's suggestion sound great so I'll just toss out a third idea to make the choice difficult for you...

Fresh Spinach Salad served with Hard-Boiled Eggs:

Ingredients needed: Large package of fresh baby spinach, some bacon, 6 eggs, a little bit of sugar, vinegar and some paprika.

Thursday, Hard boil the eggs, then cook the bacon, chop the bacon and make a dressing with the drippings using sugar and vinegar (to taste) putting it into a travel-safe container and then refrigerate everything.

Friday on the boat: Warm up the dressing as you peel the eggs, halve them and sprinkle with paprika. Put the spinach in the center, drizzle with the warmed dressing, toss and then top with the chopped bacon. Serve surrounded by the halved eggs ~ I've done this many times at events in the mountains where amenities are limited. No left-overs to take back home yet! Smile

Have fun out cruising... wish I could join you! It's dry here in Idaho and I do love the water! Cool

Edited to Add: Put the eggs shells into what ever container you brought the eggs onto the boat; other than the shells, there should be nothing to dispose of on the boat itself ~ this salad is really "self-contained" and there is usually nothing left.... Big Grin

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Idaho Resident,

Posts: 6487 | Registered: Jan 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CA Lori
posted Hide Post
Thanks, IR. That's one of my favorites. DH doesn't eat spinach. 1) He doesn't really care for it, and 2) he's on coumadin and shouldn't have any green, leafy veggies (Vit. K). Come to think of it, Asian salads aren't his favorites either (they are mine though).

His choice would be the potato salad, but I'm tired of making potato salad and it's time to please "moi"! LOL