Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Food & Entertaining
  The Most Common Cooking Mistakes
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Most Common Cooking Mistakes Sign In/Join 
Picture of still tryin
posted
Cooking Light has a nice article with pictures titled,

"Our Most Common Cooking Mistakes"
"Learn how to avoid these common mistakes for success every time'.

http://www.cookinglight.com/co...986/print-index.html

Here is the opening page if you don't want to download all of them at once.

http://www.cookinglight.com/co...tips-00400000064986/

This message has been edited. Last edited by: still tryin,

Posts: 2653 | Registered: Jan 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
My first thought was forgetting to put salt in bread dough, biscuit dough, or cornbread batter. That's my most common cooking mistake. I now taste the dough before baking.

Edited to add: Letting people walk through my kitchen and adjust the burner while my back is turned!!! Talk about irritating! My first MIL was bad about it. I don't know how many times I've had to tell DH, "Don't touch that!"

This message has been edited. Last edited by: KeepYouInStitches,

Posts: 17216 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
I get in a hurry when it comes to heating a pan, or wanting to get dinner done.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6698 | Location: north Georgia mountains  | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
I turn things on high to get them going faster and then get to clean up my boil over! Roll Eyes

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4960 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
Fun read. They forgot my most common mistake though, and I'm not kidding - I do this more than I would like to admit - I put something on the stove to cook and then I get on the internet and forget the time. I have the burned pans to prove it.

Posts: 7219 | Registered: Apr 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
mine would be copying a recipe down incorrectly. although I do also do the boil over and forgetting thing!

Posts: 12866 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Spanish Revival
posted Hide Post
The boil over, especially when boiling potatoes to make mashed potatoes. I always put them in cold water to boil, it takes a long time to come up to boil and inevitably I get distracted until I hear all that water going all over the stove.

Posts: 992 | Location: Florida | Registered: Aug 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
Cocok -- that's what your timer is for!!! I'd burn everything if my timer ever went on the fritz 'cause I get distracted way to easily to remember its there otherwise.

I even use the timer on my stove to remind me of other time limits too, not just cooking.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6698 | Location: north Georgia mountains  | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Seaborne
posted Hide Post
Boiled down liquid and burned pan. If I've left the room, I can't hear the timer.

Seaborne

Posts: 1199 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: Nov 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
You can always set the alarm on your cell phone. I do that for when I'm cooking something long and may not stay within hearing of the kitchen timer.

Or there are plenty of "portable" timers you can take from room to room or outdoors or wherever with you.

Posts: 17216 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Waverider ;)
posted Hide Post
Interesting thread! I never leave the kitchen when boiling water. Had the boil-over-thing happen and I wasn't happy about it. I also never leave the kitchen when cooking on stove because I am terrified of fire. Had a fire in my apt. yrs. ago (my mother's smoking) and am still afraid of fires!! I think my most common mistake is cooking things on whatever temp I think is right and sometimes it is overcooked (never undercooked) - I can't stand rare/pink meat!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Waverider ;),

Posts: 2506 | Location: "The Garden State", NJ ~ Zone 7 | Registered: Nov 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Cooking and talking with guests in the kitchen at the same time. Once, while preparing a holiday meal, I forgot to add water to the pot that I placed broccoli into an insert to steam. I burned not only the broccoli, but melted the pot AND the burner coil.

On another occasion while mixing bread dough in my Kitchenaid, I did not notice that a small plastic part on the mixer fell into the batter and was baked inside my bread. It was the knob that allows you to affix attachments to the mixer. Fortunately, no teeth were broken.

Also, during my early married years, I was known to melt one or two plastic cooking utensils while preheating my oven. I learned to check if the oven was empty before turning it on pretty quick.

Posts: 18713 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Seaborne
posted Hide Post
Warming bread/ rolls in the oven - either too long or the heat is too high - and it's burned or too crisp for eating. My SIL used to say that it was time to warm up the buns so they can become inedible.

And toasting bread - under the broiler - it gets burned too many times.

Seaborne

Posts: 1199 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: Nov 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The most common mistake I make is that I forget to measure ingredients and put them in the dish in haywire manner.

Classic Foods

Posts: 93 | Location: Killeen, Texas | Registered: Jul 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post