Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Food & Entertaining
  Does This Hat Make My Butt Look Big?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does This Hat Make My Butt Look Big? Sign In/Join 
Picture of Lurah
posted
Every time I read that line on KeepingYouInStitches entries I chuckle, ROTFLOL!

I don't wear jeans, they are too hot and uncomfortablly heavy gear.

Been noticing all these girls and women wearing the bling embelished butt, low rise waisted, gaudy faded front skinny leg jeans lately. Do any of these females realize how BIG THEIR BUTTS LOOK poured into tight skinny jeans with butt embelishments?

Tonight my extremely gorgeous DN emailed me her Sr. picture proofs. There were many lovely poses to admire.
Yep, there she was standing with her backside to the camera in butt embelished skinny jeans. And she's a diminuitive star athlete. I hope she doesn't mind but I teased her back about that particular pose. It also made her look short like the camera was distorting her profile.

Posts: 2662 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Nov 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lurah, I don't know your age (I am 64) but we seem to share the opinion that a big butt is undesireable so I'll assume we are from the same generation. I think my daughter's generation doesn't agree with us. I am horrified by Jennifer Lopez's backside but my daughter thinks JayLo has a perfect body!!!!

Posts: 3256 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
Yes, you're right on about our generation. I never thought about it from a younger gens perspective!
But old gals like us in these bling butts really should walk by a 3-way mirror before leaving the store.
Sorry about the off topic.

Posts: 2662 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Nov 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
As one with no hips and a flat butt I really don't get it. Yep a firm rounded one would have been nice, but not the cards we were dealt in my family. Roll Eyes

That said - I hate, hate HATE!!! Spandex in jeans. Who in their right minds thinks middle aged, over weight women with no hips really want to wear something that makes them look like they are carrying a basketball under their clothes?

It is almost impossible these days to find a pair of plain old jeans that are all cotton. When I find any I will usually buy 2 pairs because who knows when I will find them again.

Lurah, your comments remind me of discussions on a travel board I visit - Jeans in the main dining room on ships and on formal night. I get a giggle out of all this people asking about wearing their - nice or "dress" (oxymoron?) jeans to dinner.

Posts: 3412 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
FASHION TIP: Big purses make your butt appear smaller. Smile Big accessories in general do.

Listen, I am not lacking in the butt and hip areas and am a women in her 60s so I avoid pockets of any kind let alone brand logos, embellishments or worse yet, WORDS across my behind. Of course we are all ages and body types, but I have to question designers. It is pretty obvious that they are bent on calling attention to their brands and what better place to showcase their logo but a prominent physical area? To make matters worse, WE pay THEM to advertise! It is up to us whether to reject becoming human billboards at the expense of how it may detract from the perception we project dispute what the industry dictates is "in fashion". What I find offensive is the younger generation proudly flaunting JUICY (the so called high end brand...no pun intended) on their rears. Is that conveying the message the fans are in style, that they can afford pricey duds, that they desire to be noticed, or something less socially acceptable? Only the wearer can say, but I feel no matter how young or slim, words on one's behind is plain dumb IMHO. That being said, as long as sales are up the "fashion" trend will survive and there will always be consumers who desire them while disregarding what others think. To each his/ her own.

My other fashion pet peeve is women and men wearing pants too low....but, I will hold my tongue as this entire thread is OT after all.

BTW, I am a HUGE fan of a small amount of spandex in clothing but not to the degree that clothing looks like sausage casing. NOT a flattering look on anyone.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Froo Froo,

Posts: 18488 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
Oh, I think we're all pretty much of a like mind about bling and words on butts!! I love my jeans, with or without a bit of spandex, but I certainly don't want sparkles and embroidery on them.

A fellow I worked for many years ago had a drawing/painting in his office depicting a stylized nude from the back. Nothing obscene at all, just shades and lines, but the female figure had a bigger butt. After I had been there a good while, somehow we started talking about art and that piece came up. I said that it wasn't my favorite and he wanted to know why I disliked it. Turns out my reason for disliking it was precisely the reason he liked it!! Just goes to show that perceptions are different for everyone, and particularly between men and women. He wasn't sexist in any way -- in fact, one of the best folks I ever worked for and we remained friends even after I stopped working for him.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6255 | Location: Northwest Florida | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Spanish Revival
posted Hide Post
I don't understand the whole concept of designers putting front and back pockets in women's pants. The percentage of women I know and see out and about do not need extra material around their stomach and backside. I would like to see more stream lined, thinner legged pants. I just don't feel like extra flounce, anywhere, is attractive.

Posts: 908 | Location: Florida | Registered: Aug 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
These days, for the young crowd the bigger the booty the better. I think J-Lo started it but the "K" family is making it worse. Sometimes they are so big it looks unreal, as if they were photoshopped.

I had to try on dozens of jeans to find a couple that were not overdone. Ever try the NYDJ brand? (Not your daughter's jeans) they are actually decent.

Living down here I wear cotton cropped pants most of the time. I hate tight clothes, always did...even when I was young and in shape.

Whether You Think You Can Or You Think You Can't..... You're Right - Henry Ford

Posts: 7303 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
Big Grin
So glad to give you a chuckle!

I almost cringed before opening this wondering if I'd typed something to offend someone. WHEW! Not THIS time. Wink

I do not like bling on back pockets. I think not so "cute" words written on the seat of sweat pants are cute at all. "Precious" "Sexy" etc.

Imagine my almost embarrassment when SIL tried to steer me to a pair of jeans with bling and I told her not on a butt the size of mine and at my age...then later she had on a pair of butt-bling-jeans. oops

When husband got his motorcycle in 2007, he wanted me to buy a pair of leather chaps. NOPE! They make a skinny woman's butt look big. I sure didn't need my big butt looking bigger! After all, my hat does a good enough job with that. Smile

Posts: 16599 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
My two middle-aged sisters and I (the oldest of the 3) are--unfortunately -- much too well-endowed in the backside. Our nickname for each other is The Butt Sisters. (My gorgeous niece also carries the Big Butt genes, but because she is a gym rat, she keeps her Beyonce-style booty looking delicious.)

Jeans? RU kidding? Not 4 us. That is the worst thing ever for our physique. Might as well put a license plate on our trailers.

Posts: 5173 | Registered: Jul 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
I agree with almost everything that has been said....except I need POCKETS!!!! I refuse to buy pants/shorts without them. I guess that I have had allergies all of my life because I have to use tissues every day!

In the summertime I also put a cloth hankie in my left pocket because I need to mop the sweat!

I love NYDJ jeans. They fit so nicely. I do not do bling or words on my butt even though I am buttless.......it is genetic Wink

Posts: 3053 | Location: central PA | Registered: Jan 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
Another flat butt & no bling here.
I wear jeans more than any thing else. In fact, I'd have to really hunt for anything other than jeans.
BUT, I buy men's jeans cause they fit better than women's do. I don't have "saddlebags" and it seems every time I try on a pair of women's...there is all this excess material around the hip area.

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4437 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CA Lori
posted Hide Post
I've loved and worn jeans ever since I was 10 years old. And I, too, must have pockets. I just love anything denim: pants/shorts/capris, jumpers, dresses, jackets, vests, tote bags, caps. When I'm out shopping, I gravitate toward anything denim.

I've not heard of NYDJs. Where do they sell them? Macy's maybe?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CA Lori,

Posts: 5887 | Location: Calif. | Registered: Sep 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
In regards to NYDJ jeans, I cannot buy them locally in our small town stores. I purchased a pair in Chicago while visiting there....I think it was Macy's.

I buy all of mine on eBay. They are quite pricey in stores and much more reasonable on eBay.

Posts: 3053 | Location: central PA | Registered: Jan 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ga.karen
I was sorting clothes in the closet one day and saw a 'new' pair of jeans on husband's side that were against the wall...his "I do not wear these" corner. I pulled them out...they were the wrong brand - evidently a hand-me-down from someone. I took them off the hanger and tossed on the floor. Then...I looked at them. They were Wranglers. A size or two smaller than husband's Levis that he has worn all his life. I held them out. Tried them on. They fit perfectly! And as you said, no saddlebags or as we say here muffin top.

I immediately got online and ordered an identical pair with a longer inseam...DH is just barely taller than me but his legs are shorter.

Posts: 16599 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
They sell them a most big department stores, Zappos and here...

http://www.nydj.com/denim-bootcut/l/105

Whether You Think You Can Or You Think You Can't..... You're Right - Henry Ford

Posts: 7303 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
Well guys like nice rounded butts on women! (maybe that is why the bustle?) And now I hear on t.v. women commenting on men's butts! That is new to me. somehow I can't imagine Lauren Bacall lovin' Humphrey's butt!

Posts: 12246 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I also like NYDJ jeans. I have to have pockets as I put my cell phone in my rear pocket. I usually buy my NYDJ's on ebay. Grapefruit, maybe we are competing with each other. I just bought a pair of Alysha Skinny for $15 at Nordstrom Rack.
Hmm I should check out some mens jeans. I'm kinda straight up and down, not too curvy.
The 6PM site also has NYDJ for a good price.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Meischa,

Posts: 2439 | Location: Southern CA (Southbay) | Registered: Nov 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Snicker. I personally think my husband has a cute butt...feel free to look next time you see him. Wink A few years back at work there was a guy from the field standing at the copier. As I walked by, I thought "cute butt like husband's." I looked up and a co-worker was giving me the "come here" hand sign from her office. "I saw you staring at his butt!"
"It's like husband's!"
"But you were staring!"
"YES! Next time husband comes in the main building you are welcome to look at his butt to compare! This guy's butt is just like husband's!"

We had a good laugh...and I try to be more discreet now. Big Grin

Picture of norahs978
posted Hide Post
I used to have a decent butt. Now it's merged with the back of my thighs.....Never really had a large derriere, was more well endowed in the chest area Smile. My daughter has a very large, round bottom (firm and high, but she's still young) and is complemented on it ALL the time. It's a different generation....

Posts: 1403 | Registered: Aug 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, I have sort of a big bottom--always have, well, except back in the days when I was skinny but I THOUGHT I was fat. Anyway, I gave up jeans in my early 30s. But oh, do I love bling!

Posts: 6057 | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I still wear Jeans. Actually pants are more flattering to me than skirts. But of course I like to wear a nice long top!

I had a butt but narrow hips probably kept it in bounds! (still do have one but part of it has slid around to the front!)

Picture of Waverider ;)
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sms29s66:
Lurah, I don't know your age (I am 64) but we seem to share the opinion that a big butt is undesireable so I'll assume we are from the same generation. I think my daughter's generation doesn't agree!!!!

I don't even know what "butt embellished jeans" you are talking about!? Is this a new style? I agree with you about "big butts" now being very desirable! When I was young, I hated BIG BUTTS and thought small butts were much more appealing (we called them as--- not Butts!) I think men like big butts.... They now sell "Booty Boosters" in the stores (butt padding!!)

Posts: 2285 | Location: "The Garden State", NJ ~ Zone 7 | Registered: Nov 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bling (aka butt embellished) jeans...imagine these on an "ample" behind.

I'm not saying that when I was a young skinny thing that I would not wear these. I am saying that I am NOT going to wear them now...period.

Picture of nance425
posted Hide Post
You all are so funny. I think we should all go find some of these jeans, try them on, take pics of our bums and post back here. (No one would know whose butt they were!) Smile

Posts: 4582 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: Dec 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
LOL We could try them on in the store...Think I'll do that next shopping trip which could be a month or two. Wink

HOWEVER...I think our avatar would give away our identity.

posted Hide Post
We could all contribute anonymously, then everyone guess which ones go with the screen name!

LOL

Posts: 2439 | Location: Southern CA (Southbay) | Registered: Nov 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Picture of Waverider ;)
posted Hide Post
I never saw those before. Butts nowadays are too big and those useless pockets do absolutely NOTHING but make your butt look bigger. Does any woman ever use the back jean pockets??? My DD would look cute in bling jeans, her butt is young & small!

Posts: 2285 | Location: "The Garden State", NJ ~ Zone 7 | Registered: Nov 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
Yes, I use the back pockets on my jeans. Whenever I have a note on a paper it goes into a back pocket. It is sort of my 'safe haven" and an easy place to find things.

posted Hide Post
This isn't nice but, this is what I think everytime I hear spandex/leggings mentioned:

Posts: 551 | Registered: Jan 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Waverider Wink:
I never saw those before. Butts nowadays are too big and those useless pockets do absolutely NOTHING but make your butt look bigger. Does any woman ever use the back jean pockets???

I love a back pocket, I use it for my cell phone many times so it is easy to reach. I also put my shopping list in it. But no, I don't do the bling.

Picture of Waverider ;)
posted Hide Post
Funny ~ I put everything in my front pockets when I don't carry a pocketbook, just tote bags (I love tote bags!). I put my keys, change purse, cell phone, pedometer & a tissue in front pockets. I never use my back pockets ever! Maybe I should cut them off.... ;^D

posted Hide Post
I don't use back pockets...well, yes...on occasion like for something flat - like a credit card that would bend in my front pocket. But there's no way I would put my cell phone in my back pocket...sit on it and either break the screen or but*t dial somebody.

I have a pair of capris on now with back pockets, flaps with buttons. Stupid IMHO. Since developing a belly - pffffttt - I never tuck my blouses or wear a belt. So there is no need for froo-froo on my but*t.

Picture of joyluck
posted Hide Post
With 33 replies and 500 views I had to see what was still going on here!

I love bling but not wearing it on my backside! I think it looks cheap. I also don't wear big logos on my clothes. They'd have to pay me to be a walking billboard. I never use back pockets on jeans but use front ones for my cell and keys.

The low-rise look is not attractive on most people wearing it. I don't find it comfortable, I like the waist of my pants AT my waist.

As a Northern/Western gal I've worn jeans forever! However I seldom wear cotton denim ones since I found Simon Chang jeans. They are rayon/nylon/elastane so have some stretch and are extremely comfortable, unlike denim. However they are not tight fitting. Great for traveling and can be dressed up and don't really look like jeans. Unlike denim they can be worn for days (when traveling) and still look good.

Totally agree that leggings are not pants. She needs a tunic!

Lucky

"I have always had an aversion to the concepts of in style and out of style." ~Rose Tarlow

Inspirational pics: http://inspiration4u.shutterfly.com/

Posts: 12615 | Location: north of 50 in Canada | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
They'd have to pay me to be a walking billboard.

ItA. BTW the pic, I'm pretty sure there are no leggings of any kind. See where the left thigh meets the buttock? With tights you wouldn't see that indentation. Think about your panty hose, they smooth everything out even if only a little. IMHO that woman is nude from the waist down.

posted Hide Post
los, look at her ankles again. I think they are tights. Good grief...what is she thinking??????

Posts: 3256 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
Oh, she has on tights, but she might as well be nude!!! Who in their right mind would do such a thing???? (((shudder)))

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6255 | Location: Northwest Florida | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Waverider ;)
posted Hide Post
quote:
ItA. BTW the pic, I'm pretty sure there are no leggings of any kind. See where the left thigh meets the buttock?

They are leggings!!! Haven't you noticed her arms are brown and her legs are white? I too thought she was ***** from the waist down but then noticed her arms and see her feet and where the leggings start? OMG you just can't make this stuff up. Bet Walmart customers had a jaw dropping moment that day....;^D
(jes kidding about Walmart, don't know what store!)

Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
LOL - I think it's Lowes. I'll have to tease a friend who worked there. They "used" to have a pretty strict dress code.

Posts: 3412 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Waverider ;)
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KeepYouInStitches:

I'm not saying that when I was a young skinny thing that I would not wear these. I am saying that I am NOT going to wear them now...period.

Exactly my feeling! I just saw a woman wearing those bling embellished jeans last weekend. (finally!) I thought the pants were pretty. There wasn't that much "bling" on the butt, only a little! The woman was thin with a smallish butt, so it was okay, "average". I think a woman with a nice round butt would really 'rock' those bling jeans! (Many girls' have too flat butts), round is definitely "in"! :^D