Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

June Dinners Sign In/Join 
Picture of Linderhof
posted
It's June -- so what are you eating this month?

Martha

Posts: 6078 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of junk collector
posted Hide Post
Tonight our plan is to go out for dinner. One of the local eateries has fish tacos as a seasonal specialty and it only runs through Wed., so we'll go for that treat!

Posts: 3343 | Registered: Aug 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CJO
posted Hide Post
We made chicken stewed in wine/butter/spices yesterday with noodles, mashed taters and salad. Plenty leftover for today.

The recipe is from Southern Living; pm me if you want it; it's super easy and you can use broth or water if you don't have wine.

:_)

Posts: 2877 | Registered: Oct 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Spanish Revival
posted Hide Post
One of our sons and girlfriend and one of our daughters are coming over for dinner. Making bone-in Rib-eye Steaks, sauteed mushrooms, Potato casserole, roasted broccoli, salad, and garlic bread. Peel and eat shrimp, and Hummus with Pita chips for the appetizers.

Posts: 989 | Location: Florida | Registered: Aug 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Seaborne
posted Hide Post
Grilled Top Loin New York Steak - one for 2 of us with oven-fried potatoes, creamed peas & broccoli & Romaine lettuce salad with avocado, grape tomatoes and sweet onion.

Seaborne

Posts: 1194 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: Nov 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
Last night Veal Parmesan and pasta with asparagus Hollandaise.
Tonight my copycat recipe for Summer Poppy Seed Chicken Salad with crusty French bread.

Posts: 2788 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Nov 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Seaborne
posted Hide Post
Got a 1-1/2 lb. piece of Copper River Sockeye salmon today at Costco. It's a once-a-year indulgence for DH and me. We'll have it for a couple of days or more.

Seaborne

Posts: 1194 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: Nov 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
Our Veterans Service Officer at the courthouse gave me a gift card to Outback for helping him with an online course that he had to take. I was surprised and pleased. I am the county judge's administrative assistant...the VSO is a part time position with no secretary. I help him out whenever I can but expected nothing. He is appreciative and always thanks me. The gift certificate was a nice surprise.

Oh! I had steak while DH has ribs. And the garlic mashed potatoes were delicious!

We had eaten there only once before...a party of four. All of our steaks were overcooked as was the blooming onion which was like eating potato chips. We had not been back so we're extremely pleased this evening.

Posts: 17191 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Seaborne
posted Hide Post
Got a boneless pork roast in the oven - and will shred it and have pulled pork barbecue on buns with coleslaw for dinner - strawberries, cream and angel food cake for dessert. My DD is coming over with a friend for a late dinner (after work) and we'll watch a movie together.

Where is everyone? Vacationing? Or just not cooking?

Seaborne

posted Hide Post
Seaborne, I saw a recipe for pulled pork using a tenderloin. You just stick in a crock pot, pour a can of root beer over it and let it cook on low for 6-8 hours. I served it on French bread with potato salad on the side while my daughter and her boyfriend were here and they loved it.

We also made a meal of top sirloin steak with creamed onions and roasted brussels sprouts one evening. The creamed onions were especially good--first roasted at 350 degrees, then covered with a heavy cream-white wine-garlic concoction, back in the oven covered with foil for 20 minutes, and then topped with shaved parmigiano reggiano (sp?) cheese, then back in 450 oven for a few minutes to melt the cheese. For dessert, we had my snowball cake and his homemade ice cream.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sms29s66,

Posts: 3463 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
Well, I've been trying to not cook. Got away with that last week because we had company and we ate out at lunch most days and had a big meal, so that meant I didn't have to cook dinner. Just us now, so tonight I made a chicken/veggie stir fry served over rice.

OMG, those onions sound to die for!! We're in the RV, so I don't do things in the oven too much. I do need to pull out the crock pot, though, and use it.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6680 | Location: north Georgia mountains  | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Seaborne
posted Hide Post
Sms29: Mmmm good - you are a good cook, sounds like. And tell us about your "snowball cake," in the summer time (almost - out here not too warm yet - but hitting 70, now & then).

I am using a boneless pork loin - and have it in a roaster pan - with foil and a lid - and lots of onions, fire-roasted tomatoes - and I'll add a barbecue sauce later. (I do not use a slow cooker but adapt slow cooker recipes to long-cooking oven cooking.

Seaborne

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Sms29 -- those onions sound delicious!

We've been gone so have been eating out.

Tonight, I cooked -- steak tips, roasted Farmers market carrots, Farmers Market peas, and probably the last wilted lettuce salad of the year.

Martha

Posts: 6078 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I forgot about the bottle of barbecue sauce for the pulled pork. Normally I would do something more elaborate, but I'm always on the lookout for something that minds itself for the day that they drive in so there's no pressure on any of us. My daughter always arrives ravenous and she's very irritable until we get some food down her throat!

For some reason, I can't resize the Kindle pics we took so I'll post a couple of poor shots of my first attempt so you can hopefully get an idea of what it will look like.

About the cake. After tasting a snowball for the first time since childhood, I decided I could do better than that horrible chemical filling so I started googling and found several recipes for the snowball cake so I adapted them to make mine with my go to chocolate cake recipe on the Hershey's Cocoa can and my own buttercream/coconut frosting. I mixed 8 oz philly cream cheese, an egg, 2T. sugar for the filling. You mix up the batter in an oven proof bowl, spoon the cream filling carefully into the center and bake at 350 for one hour, 20 minutes. Let cool for about 15 minutes, and then loosen from the bowl with a flexible knife. Invert onto a wire rack and let cool COMPLETELY before frosting.

Posts: 3463 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
Roast beef planned overs tonight with a small cottage cheese & fruit plate salad.
I had a day full of club and committee meetings.
Ughh I hate to cook when I come home from being gone all day, so this was just perfect.
Besides, the air conditioner was in need of a wee bit of tweaking attention so it wouldn't have been cool enough to spend all afternoon in the kitchen over a hot stove.

Posts: 2788 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Nov 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here's a prettier pic:

posted Hide Post
Lurah, I love cottage cheese with fresh strawberries or with canned peaches.

ffg, those onions WERE to die for. I had never had creamed onions so I tried a cheapo recipe just to see. I liked them so much that I decided to save this good recipe until I could serve them for company. There were four of us and I used a bag (six) of Vidalia onions. We liked them so much that I wish I'd make about eight. There was enough of the cream "gravy" that I used some of it to scramble eggs, and then used the rest of it to make a spaghetti alfredo.

Picture of Seaborne
posted Hide Post
Sms - the Snowball cake looks wonderful and I'm sure it's delicious. Love the pink one.

Seaborne

posted Hide Post
Thanks, Seaborne. If you have an oven-proof bowl, try one. It wasn't hard at all.

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Tuesday is Farmers Market Day -- there's a guy that sells homemade tamales. Brought some home for dinner with black beans and salsa. We get 3 for $5 which will feed both of us -- two for DH and one for me.

I'm thinking that Tuesday's will be Tamale Tuesday until the market closes.

Oh, and for my newspaper column, I had to make a cherry pie to photograph so that will be dessert.

Martha

Picture of Seaborne
posted Hide Post
I will sometime or another, Sms.
And Martha, let's see the cherry pie.
I'm making enchiladas with my leftover pulled pork - which I seldom - if ever - do. Since my kids left home, I make very few Mexican dishes. But I think that the pork will be delicious. So, I got whole wheat tortillas - yes I know - not everyone else's choice - but I have to - becuase of DH's diabetes. And I have enchilada sauce - and green chiles - and I have Mexican shredded cheese on hand. So - how do you folks make enchiladas??

Seaborne

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
The Pie -- a regular cherry pie -- the special is the decoration -- the column runs Saturday and Saturday is flag day.

Martha

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Seaborne -- I don't make Mexican food that often either but your shredded pork enchiladas sound wonderful!

Martha

posted Hide Post

Posts: 17191 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Seaborne
posted Hide Post
Martha, your cherry pie looks wonderful - very creative - and delicious I'm sure.

The pork enchiladas were a hit with DH - he said he didn't realize that the tortilla itself could be so good. And it was - even though it was whole wheat - because I had plenty of enchilada sauce "and" cheese - covered it with foil and cooked it until all was soft and yummy. Had red beans with it - and rest of the cole slaw. And DH has leftovers for tomorrow night - when I leave early for a night of Duplicate Bridge.

Seaborne

posted Hide Post
I've made only chicken enchiladas but the pork ones sound wonderful.

We went out late yesterday and took a drive by a couple of houses that were on the list. Off the list now, though. Intended to go grocery shopping but DH was suddenly hungry so we ended up having Mexican food last night, too. It was good. (And I didn't have to cook. hehehehe)

Posts: 6680 | Location: north Georgia mountains  | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I confess that last night's dinner was from Panda Express. The leftovers will probably feed us tonight, too, if I make some fresh rice.

That snowball cake is so cute, SMS, and Linderhof, I really like what you did with the cherry pie crust. You both are so clever.

Posts: 1945 | Registered: Aug 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Sherry -- tart, of course! That to me is a cherry pie!

Martha

posted Hide Post

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Sherry, we are!!!!

Dinner tonight was in the garden -- the first harvest of basil was showered over a plate of linguini with a sauce of Muir Glen fire roasted tomatoes and fresh farmer's market garlic finished off with a good sprinkle of Parm. Served with a glass of wine!

And since there is more pie, I changed it's name to "tart" and served it with vanilla ice cream.

We are happy but stuffed!

(And then DH put together the second rocker -- yes, we got another porch rocker -- for ME!)

You can always ply a man with food Smile

Martha

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Lots of little bits of fresh Farmers market vegetables in the fridge -- so I made minestrone since it was a rainy day and served it with my version of Red Lobster's cheesy garlic biscuits. Dessert is the last of the cherry pie with ice cream.

Martha

Picture of Seaborne
posted Hide Post
Dinner out tonight before a high school graduation. I had Copper River Sockeye Salmon and risotto and asparagus. DH had halibut. Appetizer was calamari. Drank a delicious Italian and Ste. Michelle white wine. We were guests of my cousin whose daughter graduated with the highest honors and was the class speaker. It was a happy event.

Seaborne

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Had stuffed shells, a KC Italian Salad (think and Olive Garden type of salad before there was an Olive Garden -- LOL!), and ice cream with strawberry sauce for dessert.

Martha

posted Hide Post
We went over to the weekly gathering here in the RV park and the main dish was turducken, straight from New Orleans via one of the guests. It had two layers of sausage stuffing and one of cornbread stuffing. This was my first experience with turducken and it was very good. There were all kinds of side dishes to go with it. I took fresh peach crisp. Nary a scrap of it left to bring home.

Oh, Seaborne, I'm so jealous of your DH's halibut. I think that is my favorite fish.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Florida Farm Girl,

Picture of Seaborne
posted Hide Post
FFG - halibut is a rare treat, even out here - and very expensive. So DH was so happy to be able to enjoy it. I've prepared it for us at home once this Spring - and it was so good - wish we could have it more often.
Today, I had lunch out - a seafood Cobb salad - with salmon, prawns, and crab.
For dinner at home, I roasted a whole chicken with potatoes, carrots and onions.

Seaborne

posted Hide Post
Boy,how times have change! When I lived in Canada, halibut was the poor man's salmon!

Picture of Seaborne
posted Hide Post
Sms: No more - halibut probably was over-fished - and now, it's become more carefully managed - and thus the prices are higher. My father was a commercial fisherman - and he would be astonished at today's prices too.

Seaborne

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
After making breakfast burritos as 6 a.m. for the farmers market (a fund raiser for them), having a brunch at my sorority and planting the rest of my annuals . . . my plans for dinner changed to Chinese takeout!

Martha

posted Hide Post
Sons are here for Father's day. Chicken spaghetti, mixed green salad, carrots. Homemade salad dressings: honey mustard and peppercorn ranch. Pound cake with peaches and/or strawberries.

Picture of junk collector
posted Hide Post
It's been quite hot here - well into the mid-nineties for most of June already. Anything that can go on the grill works best, but after a very hot day of chores we went out for a movie and drinks with appetizers. Calamari and then sliders were more than enough for dinner.

Posts: 3343 | Registered: Aug 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sms29s66:
Boy,how times have change! When I lived in Canada, halibut was the poor man's salmon!

It was common on our family dinner table when I grew up, too. My dad's idea of going fishing was to the fish market.
He always brought home a great tasting catch and nobody had to clean it or pick out the bones while we ate it, except for lobster and shrimp tails.

I couldn't believe my husband thought the only fish was fish sticks. They were of the faith that ate it and he'd never been served shrimp, scallops, clams, lobster, crab,
salmon, nor any common white fish that didn't come pre-breaded. Needless to say that he never has taken a liking to fish except for lobster, shrimp and fresh salmon.
Tuna is not allowed when he's home.

Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
Daughter will be here for dinner tomorrow - steaks on the grill and a chop-chop salad. I made a fresh strawberry-banana-bing cherry trifle for dessert.

Picture of Seaborne
posted Hide Post
We had leftover roast chicken tonight and the rest of the vegetables. DH had more strawberries and songe cups (which he loves).
Tomorrow, DH is going out with daughter and I am going to a concert - so no cooking at home.
On Monday, our anniversary, I am having son and daughter over for dinner - it will be NY steaks and loin lamb chops. I'm thinking of making German potato salad too. Haven't decided about the dessert yet.

Seaborne

Picture of Seaborne
posted Hide Post
Correction: sponge cups - the little shortcakes that are sold in the grocery store alongside the berries. DH has always loved them. He simply adds lightly-sugared berries over the cup - and then moistens with milk - no cream - nothing else.

Seaborne

Picture of nettiejay
posted Hide Post
Dad's Day dinner for DH. The kids will be here to share.
All his choices ~

Barbecued pork steaks
German potato salad
Three bean salad
Buttered cauliflower
Garlic-chive bread
Chocolate cake with chocolate cream cheese icing

Posts: 4571 | Location: zone 6b, Missouri | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tonight, butter beans and rice with a side of cornbread!!!!!

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Seaborne -- that's how my DH likes his strawberry "shortcake" too! I'm of the old school!

Martha

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
For Father's Day -- took DH to one of the chicken restaurants in the town south of us (they have like 5 and those 5 have been in business since the 30s and 40s) -- fried chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy, German coleslaw for me and baked beans for DH and we started with onion rings (another speciality in this area and the portions of rings are HUGE!)

Martha

posted Hide Post
My kids love beef. So, I'm experimenting with the beef and making different dishes with it.

Classic Foods

Posts: 93 | Location: Killeen, Texas | Registered: Jul 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Seaborne
posted Hide Post
That's so cool, Martha. Actually, even our grown kids like it that way - only, with the addition of some "real" whipped cream never hurts.
I just put an apple pie in the oven for our anniversary family dinner.
I had frozen applie pie filling the last time I made pie - so decided to use it - just one package. Just had to make the crust and it's in the oven. I added some tapioca around the edges as it seemed pretty "soupy." I also added Craisins - because my DH loves them - in apple pie.
I also have a bottle of Pinot Noir hidden away for the occasion - 52 years.

Seaborne