Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Food & Entertaining
  conversations with strangers
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

conversations with strangers Sign In/Join 
Picture of lady of shallot
posted
Do you tend to make "friends" with people you just run into? The other day we were in the $ store and a man coming towards me said "If you smell fish that is me, I just came in"

He was a lobster man and we had a great conversation about lobsters and I said I would be buying some meat soon at Harbor fish and he said it will be mine then, 'cause I sell it to them.

Then today a young woman came up to me and asked me to sign a petition (since it was for more trails I gladly signed.) Didn't notice at first that she had one of the metal calves that people with amputated limbs now wear. We had a very nice conversation about a house she had wanted that I admire too and she ended up shaking my hand and hoping we meet again (DD's age)

Another person I knew years ago has reentered my life. I was told she had a piece of DH's art work. Had a wonderful conversation with her DH who is a totally outgoing guy and Tues she and I will go somewhere together and then I will check out the art which we still don't remember!

I love talking to people!

Posts: 12587 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
DH and I are both talkers, so it's easy for us to strike up a conversation with just about anyone and we do often. I'm amazed at the information some people will spill on a chance meeting with a stranger. I think it's therapy for some and a good way to reach out to people who may or not need a little "lift" in their day.

Have you ever had someone tell you their life story on a long plane ride?

Life is a great big canvas...throw all the paint on it you can.
Danny Kaye

Posts: 7413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I don't fly much (haven't flown since 1986!) but when I had my antique shop many people confided in me.

posted Hide Post
funny, I was just out shopping and stopped at a small cafe for a coffee, the counter was very small, so I asked several people if they were waiting to order or waiting for their coffee. One women received an usual looking coffee drink, I asked her what it was, as we each received our order and I was adding sweetener and cream, we proceeded to talk. She told me she was quitting smoking and doing extra doses of caffeine to help her. I encouraged and told her about what I know worked with people I know who quite. We talked for several minutes, I enjoyed talking with her and hope I encouraged her to keep working to quit.

Posts: 2463 | Location: Southern CA (Southbay) | Registered: Nov 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nance425
posted Hide Post
I, too like to meet and talk with new people.
Where I volunteer, it is so easy to do. They are usually passing time awaiting a loved one to recuperate in the hospital, etc. I meet people from all over the world. I've had some pretty interesting conversations! After about 20 minutes, they go on their way and me back to work. Smile

I talked with a guy across the aisle on a plane one time for almost an hr. My sister couldn't believe how I could just talk to strangers like that, as she sat there reading her book. (She didn't feel like talking I guess, so I had to do something.) Smile
We were in the last row, so I don't think we bothered too many people. And I think we kept our voices down. I think the best time to engage is when you first sit down. You get a feel for whether they want to be left alone or not.
I wish more people would "engage." Makes a plane ride go so much faster, unless of course you have an interesting book. Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: nance425,

Posts: 4582 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: Dec 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zone9alady:

Yes, I frequently fly alone and have met some interesting people, I still think about some as some of their stories are memorable.

Posts: 2463 | Location: Southern CA (Southbay) | Registered: Nov 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
It happens to me too from time to time. Just recently while waiting for over an hour to update my driver's license photo in the DMV, a nice younger lady who sat beside me and I struck a conversation, mostly about today's manners or lack there of. The conversation touched upon some other topics too. I often had strangers come up to my floral booth and chat when I was head of that dept. in a craft store. Once, I started a conversation while attending a craft show as I knew the lady, also alone, shared a mutual interst. We stayed in touch for a period afterwords even tho we did not live close.

I agree that some people are super friendly and/or need an ear in which to vent or share their thoughts. I think that especially in today's busy pace, the art of listening is lost and to encounter someone who seems genuinely interested in your spoken words is a rare find.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Froo Froo,

Posts: 18672 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CJO
posted Hide Post
I've always enjoyed talking to strangers...Wink

Posts: 2865 | Registered: Oct 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
WE have become pretty close friends with two couples we met on two different cruises. One English and one from Calif, who both have entertained us when we were in their parts of the world.

I find almost everyone interesting but do not like loud or annoying people!

Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
I, too, love talking to strangers! DH and I were in London last month. One of my favorite things was talking with the people that we encountered! They are from all over the world and often have a story to tell about why they are now living in London.

It was fascinating, interesting, and very educational.

I am often approached by people needing help in the grocery store. I am tall enough to reach the top shelves, and I apparently seem "ok" to talk to.

Posts: 3155 | Location: central PA | Registered: Jan 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
I love it. Talking comes very easy in our family. In fact, sometimes folks probably wish we'd shut up! Now, DH, not so much.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6586 | Location: Northwest Florida | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lavern2
posted Hide Post
Yep,

I'm 5'9" and I find myself doing the "reaching" for ladies in the grocery store quite often.

I think people are interesting, and I absolutely enjoy talking to strangers - If you give folks a chance, most are quite nice and many have fascinating stories to tell.

Just the other day, I was looking for honey in the grocery store, and a lady heard me talking to myself and muttering about not being able to find it...

Well, a couple of minutes later, she walked up and handed me a jar of honey.

All I could do was smile and say: "Why, thank-you Sweetie" (pun intended) Smile

Posts: 1026 | Location: Chesterfield, Virginia | Registered: Jan 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Spanish Revival
posted Hide Post
Same thing here, I'm 5'7" and I get asked a lot to help in the grocery store, but mostly when I see someone struggling to reach a product, opening a door or whatever I will not think twice about helping, just part of my personality. And the grocery store... well, all kinds come up to me, but it seems old men are particularly drawn... I like talking to strangers, I find them friendly and interesting!

Posts: 968 | Location: Florida | Registered: Aug 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kathy_in_wlsv
posted Hide Post
People will talk to me about anything and everything. DH has one of those faces that EVERYONE seems to want to talk to.

When I was traveling in Australia I talked to everyone, to the extent that a woman on a bus asked me "how long have you known 'so and so'" (the complete stranger I had just had a LOOONG chat with) and she was stuned to find out I had known her only for the duration of our conversation.

A friend of mine once said "you could talk to a stone, and it would love you in 5 minutes."

Thing is 90% of the time I am just listening.

Life is GOOD!!

Posts: 1561 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: Nov 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nance425
posted Hide Post
Ok, I think we should put out an All Points Bulletin for all the friendly people who like talking to strangers. They need to wear a pin or something identifying themselves! Smile

Posts: 4582 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: Dec 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Lavern2, I can relate to your shopper rescues stories. It's getting so I see the helpless upward look in customer's eyes and I waste no second asking, "Can I get that for you?" Just last week in BB&B, notorious for their two story peg walls of merchandise, I knocked down ice cube trays for a lady. Luckily they didn't land on her head. Typically a,
"Thank you!" follows along with, "It must be nice to be tall." As you and I know tho, there are some drawbacks that we deal with. Overall, I feel blessed and it's become one little way to practice RAKS. Smile

Posts: 18672 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
Yep. It is an inherited trait in my family.

Same with DH. He says "a stranger is a friend you ain't met yet."

Posts: 17042 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
I'm 5'9" too, and I have often gotten things off the top of grocery shelves for people. I have also asked guys taller than myself to get stuff I couldn't reach. Two weeks ago in Walmart a man asked me to get something for him. He was a dwarf and about 4 and half feet tall. It felt good that I could help him.

FrooFroo, DH and I are really into RAKS. It gives us such a warm feeling inside.

Life is a great big canvas...throw all the paint on it you can.
Danny Kaye

Posts: 7413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of joyluck
posted Hide Post
I sometimes think it's the 'smile' wrinkles that attract people to others. I smile easily and often and know that makes a person more approachable. Often when I am out shopping and minding my own business people will start a conversation and tell me confidential things. I always feel bad if I have to cut the conversation short because I don't have time to talk. When I had a store it was a constant occurrence that people would confide in me. Many told me things I'd never confide in a stranger. Perhaps because they didn't know me well made it easier for them and they had no one else.

Lucky

"I have always had an aversion to the concepts of in style and out of style." ~Rose Tarlow

Inspirational pics: http://inspiration4u.shutterfly.com/

Posts: 12725 | Location: north of 50 in Canada zone3b | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
DH and I just had a great conversation today with the owner of a little country restaurant where we stopped for lunch. Just being neighborly, that's all it was.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6586 | Location: Northwest Florida | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Georgia Peach
posted Hide Post
LOS, DH and I took a wrong turn down a private drive while following our motorcycle's GPS to Cape Elizabeth's Portland Head Light. The owner of the property was in his yard and we talked awhile. His wife's family was from Valdosta, Ga.

While visiting the Lighthouse DH asked someone if they would mind taking our picture. Another lady came running over saying she heard someone say "y'all" (apparently DH) and told us she was from Alaaaabammaa....She had recently moved to Maine.

Both conversations turned in to 1/2 hour chats with interesting folks Smile

Posts: 2221 | Location: Zone 8b | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
LOL
"Y'all"

DH and I regularly vacation in Colorado - Lake City/Cedaredge/Delta/Montrose areas. I went to the grocery store in Cedaredge and very consciously made certain I did NOT say "y'all" or "don't chew" (don't you), etc. I mean...I really cleaned up my colloquial sayings.

The checker asked me, "What part of east Texas are you from?"

I almost dropped my teeth! "How did you know? I did not say 'y'all' once!"

She said I sounded like her aunt who lives in Tyler. !!!! Tyler is only an hour and 15 minutes away.

Posts: 17042 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The other day we were in the grocery store and there was a man with a toddler in the cart. The man was playing hide and seek with the child who was chortling heartily.

When we walked by we waved to the child and said to the man that he had a fine boy there. He was very pleased. They were of a different ethnicity and maybe don't hear such comments often, or maybe he was so proud of the boy that he appreciated the comment. Note to self: when able, share kindness with someone who does not look like me! And of course who does!