Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Food & Entertaining
  February Dinners
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

February Dinners Sign In/Join 
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
I made a Mexican casserole that DH really liked! Served it with a salad of greens and cherry tomatoes with a homemade guacamole salad dressing.

Here is the recipe:

INGREDIENTS:
1 pound lean ground beef
2 cups salsa
1 (16 ounce) can black beans, drained
3 cups tortilla chips, crushed
2 cups sour cream
1 bunch chopped green onion
2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese or Mexican cheese blend

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook ground beef until no longer pink. Stir in salsa, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes, or until liquid is absorbed. Stir in beans, and heat through.
3. Spray a 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray. Spread crushed tortilla chips in dish, and then spoon beef mixture over chips. Spread sour cream over beef, and sprinkle over the sour cream. Top with cheese.
4. Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes, or until hot and bubbly.

Posts: 6357 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
I've been on a cruise! Big Grin The only thing I've personally fixed was about 11:15 a.m. on Sunday before disembarking, I slapped a piece of ham on a slice of bread and folded it in half so that we wouldn't have to find a restaurant in Galveston before leaving.

We had good seafood before boarding the Sunday before.
On ship I had seared Atlantic salmon three times!
Fried frog legs with provencal herb butter
Lobster and shrimp
Filet (beef)
Ate at the Mongolian grill 2-3 times

Desserts were
molten lava cake (hanging head in shame I must admit to three of them spread out over the week)
Grand Marnier soufflé
Bitter and Blanc (white chocolate bread pudding with bittersweet chocolate garnish)

I have gone back to my normal boring diet and will start back on the treadmill this week. I will NOT get on the scales until March 1!!!!!

Posts: 17386 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Sherry -- cruise food is so good and considering how many people they feed, I am astounded at their quality.

You must have been on Carnival -- molten lava cake. I DO have the recipe if you want it! I got it from the chef on a cruise several years ago. (We paid extra for a fancy multi course dinner and that was part of the deal -- the demo of making that cake --)

Martha

Posts: 6357 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Gone most of the day so I picked up some frozen cheese stuffed shells, marinara sauce and bread from the Italian grocery in the Italian town 20 miles from us. Easy to eat up and I got to walk the dogs, too! Dessert will be a piece of Washington Pie (which is really a cake) which I made to photo for my newspaper column that runs on Saturday (Washington's birthday!)

Martha

Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
Dinner meeting last night so DH reheated leftovers.

Tonight, planned leftovers. I fell in love with Butter Chicken when we were in CA a couple years ago. I found a jar sauce that is a pretty good replica so all I had to do was cut up the chicken breast, brown it and let it simmer in the sauce. So that with jasmine rice (love the smell of rice), salad and naan bread and we're done. I might check out a local middle eastern market to see if they carry pappardorn and onion chutney.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Charming,

Fun and Info

Posts: 3608 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Last night:
spaghetti and meat sauce
mixed vegetables
garlic toast

Martha, I have a recipe for the molten lava cake but found it on the back of a bar of chocolate in the baking aisle. They are so rich! I only bake them a couple of times a year!!

Posts: 17386 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Spent the day in the city (and had a fantastic lunch) so dinner tonight was going to be some of the terrific bread I got at the bakery, spaghetti with leftover sauce from the other night and a salad.

However . . . . a friend called and we ended up going to a restaurant for fried chicken!

Martha

Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
Today had guests for lunch - made Pita bread tuna melts and had Peach Melba for dessert.

Posts: 2849 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Nov 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of junk collector
posted Hide Post
Tonight it was chicken with mole sauce. The sauce is a new find from Rick Bayliss. Sold in the international section and it was GOOD! With roasted potato wedges. Highly recommend trying the sauce.

Posts: 3490 | Registered: Aug 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
We saw Monuments Men and then had dinner at one of the five fried chicken restaurants in the town south of us. (which is also where the movie was) --

Martha

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Fixed a new recipe from bon appetit -- slow roasted pork shoulder with mustard and sage, creamy polenta and roasted broccoli. No dessert -- we're trying to be good! (And we had pancakes for breakfast)

Martha

Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by junk collector:
Tonight it was chicken with mole sauce. The sauce is a new find from Rick Bayliss. Sold in the international section and it was GOOD! With roasted potato wedges. Highly recommend trying the sauce.

I'll have to look for that. I love chicken enchiladas with mole sauce. Unfortunately, the restaurants around here do not have a good mole sauce. I was spoiled by one of our restaurants in VA.

Fun and Info

Posts: 3608 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
Last night was short ribs from about 3 different recipes. I also fixed mashed potatoes (not one of my favorites to cook and they ended up a little gummy.) and sautéed kale with onions. Sour dough bread rounded it out. Very yummy!

Fun and Info

Picture of CJO
posted Hide Post
We had Dutch oven chicken yesterday, stewed in wine and a bit of butter/olive oil and spices. It's a Southern Living recipe we make often. Makes good broth for noodles (used fresh pasta this time). Lots left for today. Will make some fresh asparagus, too.

Posts: 2931 | Registered: Oct 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Charming:
quote:

I'll have to look for that. I love chicken enchiladas with mole sauce. Unfortunately, the restaurants around here do not have a good mole sauce. I was spoiled by one of our restaurants in VA.

It is a " Frontera" food product. I bought it at a Sprouts Market. Don't know if it's carried by other chains, but you can buy Frontera on line.

Tonight we had BLT salad. Basically, it is the bl&t and I add hard boiled eggs and ranch dressing. Not a "healthy" salad per se, but I had a lot of tomatoes to use. Threw in some cukes too. So yummy.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: junk collector,

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
I have lots of pork from last night so I put some in a small Dutch oven with ketchup, brown sugar and a bit of vinegar and cooked it slowly for a couple of hours. Made "pulled pork" sandwiches with it and I served it with Amish girls broccoli/cauliflower salad and potato salad.

Martha

Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
DH requests good hot dogs occasionally so with chips and a small fresh fruit & cheese plate for supper.

Posts: 2849 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Nov 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kathy_in_wlsv
posted Hide Post
February meals haven't been as well planned as usual at all.

I've been sick, kids have been sick, had dental work, DH had a couple of board meetings so it's been a lot of take out, or quick stuff around here. Kids and DH have been off school all week too, so its been sort of vacation.

However on Thursday I decided to make a HUGE batch of meatball mix. I used about 2/3 of it for just meat ball sandwiches, with chips. Nice tomato sauce and plain bread.

The other 1/3 I added a lot of parmesan, smooshed til the mix was far smoother and made teeny meatballs so I could make Italian wedding soup for Friday.

As it happened DS and his GF came over Thursday evening (mmm right about supper time.....) so we invited them to sit down with us. Then told them to come back on Friday for the soup.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh soooooooooooo good. Italian wedding soup, mixed salad, hard bread and sherbet for desert. I sent home at least 4 good size bowls full with them too.

We had KFC on Monday, I swear someone spilled a cup of salt into my bucket.. nasty.

Life is GOOD!!

Posts: 1579 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: Nov 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
I had a package of ground beef thawed in the refrigerator and I told DH early in the day we'd have spaghetti. Always a favorite for him. Well, I look up from working and it is 5:30 and nothing started.

Yea for the pressure cooker! Dinner was ready in no time!

Fun and Info

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
We had a big pasta lunch (salad, bread, pasta) so dinner tonight was just a grilled cheese and a dill pickle.

Martha

posted Hide Post
We started Feb with tuna cassarole and we'll end with it too! The recipe requires milk, which I don't keep on hand, so I needed to finish the small amount I had, plus roasted red peppers (jarred) which can go bad if not used quickly. That and an apple, grape, pecan fruit salad dressed with yoghurt.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: junk collector,

posted Hide Post
Tonight is a ground beef noddle bake.

Strings

Friends divide our sorrows and multiply our joys.

Posts: 6376 | Registered: Sep 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Seaborne
posted Hide Post
I've been sick for three days too. But I roasted a chicken 3 days ago with potatoes & carrots & that's about gone. I found some boneless chicken thighs in the freezer just now - defrosted them - and browned them in a Dutch oven - in the oven now and I'll make a risotto to go with. Some kind of frozen vegetables - maybe fruit to finish off with.

Seaborne

Posts: 1222 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: Nov 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
Prepared a great veal Parmesan with buffalo Mozzarella and a spicy pasta sauce, fettucini, Euro tasting breadsticks; strawberry Romaine salad with homemade creamy poppy seed dressing.
All Italian items a great line available at Aldi's.

Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
We were away for a week, so tonight's the first time in a week that I have to cook!! Bummer. Guess its time to get in there and rummage through the pantry and frig!

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6831 | Location: north Georgia mountains  | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Had pulled pork tacos with sour cream, lime, salsa and cilantro on corn tortillas and a side of Mexican rice.

Martha

posted Hide Post
I guess I'm through cooking at home for February.

After pulling grandparent duty, we got home Sunday evening and had nachos for supper. Not wanting to cook anything and have leftovers, I sliced a short chunk of Hillshire Farms sausage and cooked it with a bit of homemade BBQ sauce...served on toasted French bread with some mixed vegetables on the side. Tonight we had canned (blech) clam chowder.

Immediately after I get off work tomorrow we are heading out again for grandparent duty and won't return home until Monday evening.

Aren't grandchildren GRAND?!

Picture of Spanish Revival
posted Hide Post
For some strange reason (roll eyes) I am so bored with cooking I'm finding any reason to get out of it. I usually enjoy it very much but it seems since the beginning of the year, it's just been, meh. I had a very busy day ending in SAM'S so I got one of their rotisserie chickens, a bag of broccoli salad and popped in a baked potato, nothing great, just food Wink

Posts: 1025 | Location: Florida | Registered: Aug 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
The recipe requires milk, which I don't keep on hand, .

I don't keep milk on hand either, but I do keep a carton or two, quart sized, in the pantry, just in case I need it for a recipe. Borden's has a good quality one IMO. It can come in very handy!

Posts: 1025 | Location: Florida | Registered: Aug 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I find the individual sized servings to be just right. It's not that we don't use milk, but rather we don't use much. So if I open a single serve, it is enough to make whatever recipe I'm fixing and yet doesn't waste a large amount if a quart is opened and not used.

posted Hide Post
Well, DUH!!! I never thought about buying some of the milk that you can store in the pantry!!! I see it all the time at the grocery store. I normally don't keep milk on hand because I'm the only one who uses it, unless for cooking. Had DH pick up some today, in fact. I keep powdered milk on hand but that works only in some situations.

Posts: 6831 | Location: north Georgia mountains  | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Dinner tonight was poulet au paprika (chicken paprika) and vichy carrots -- both recipes from French Taste by Laura Calder. It was a colorful plate of reds and orange!

Martha

Picture of trish212
posted Hide Post
Today was my shopping day. The best part was asking the owner if he has seen an increase in people purchasing items from his Indian grocer. He said that it HAS increased. Some items just can't be purchased in a regular grocery.

My husband made a fabulous FIRST Chicken 65. It was so delish....I told him that we could not talk during the meal. lol He realizes this is a compliment.

We've decided THIS will be the new dish to share with guests. I told him he and his colleague should make this for the next "Snack Day".

Posts: 5238 | Registered: Jan 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Will you share your chicken 65 recipe?

Posts: 7296 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd love the Chicken 65 recipe also, we love Indian food.

Picture of trish212
posted Hide Post
We're not to "advertise" from other sites? I've seen many who have with disastrous results. I already have a problem getting onto the blogging site for HGTV, not giving up the MB, too. Smile

If you type Chicken 65 in a search online, you'll find SEVERAL of these recipes.

Spanish Revival, it IS wonderful!

Posts: 5238 | Registered: Jan 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Chicken and sausage (andouille) gumbo simmering on the stove. I like it over white rice but with a dollop of southern potato salad on the side. YUM, YUM! Let's see if this batch tastes as good as the last one. There's never an exact recipe, so.....

Picture of Kathy_in_wlsv
posted Hide Post
Tacos for tonight.

DS and his GF have been eating with us quite often. He lost his job, and is waiting for roofing season to start. She works, but pays for frivolities like rent, car insurance and electricity.

Sooo we can expect to see them fairly often for supper. The other night we had breakfast for supper. Scrambled eggs, bacon and sausage, potato pancakes and biscuits.

Wednesday was Chili, Tonight is tacos.

I got groceries on Wednesday.

I spent over $250...But I did get lots of fruits and veggies, decent cheese (a nice gruyere)and meats for at least a week.

Life is GOOD!!

Posts: 1579 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: Nov 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not cooking from home, but am while keeping the grandsons! Last night I cooked oven baked chicken, roasted broccoli, and fried cabbage.

Decided I better do something with broccoli as there were three bunches in the refrigerator! The only cabbage was purple cabbage so we had colorful plates. Wink Stepson bragged on the broccoli...said that they roasted it all the time, but did not get that flavor. I tossed it with Italian dressing made with olive oil, salt and pepper. Big Grin

I've got a sick 2-year old who wanted to go to school. But sent a well 3-year old - who did not want to go - on to school via Pawpaw who said he was prancing and itching to get in the door once they got there. Typical! Wink

Picture of Seaborne
posted Hide Post
I was gone all day - first to my regular Friday morning duplicate bridge game - my partner and I came in 2nd in our Section - then out to lunch and a movie afterwards - saw "American Hustle" and loved it. Went out to a nearby Chinese restaurant for dinner - had Orange Chicken with pot stickers and DH had beef and vegetables in a garlic sauce. Sliced orange and fortune cookies for dessert.
Tomorrow is a birthday party in the afternoon and Opera in the evening - will eat the leftover orange chicken for dinner.

Seaborne

Posts: 1222 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: Nov 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Last night I cooked brats on the griddle. They weren't in the original wrapper (still helping with the grands at their house) and from the texture and taste I think that they were chicken brats or at least had some chicken in them. Frown I ate less than half of one.

DH and I ate our with a salad. The grands ate mostly mac n cheese.