Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

easy snack Sign In/Join 
Picture of lady of shallot
posted
My sisters bought this very easy to make snack when we visited the Mennonite store recently.

I don't know the proportions but would say what looks right! They loved it.

Cheerios
peanuts
raisins
oyster crackers

I bought salted peanuts as that is what DH preferred. You could probably use unsalted too.

Posts: 12808 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quiltzilla
posted Hide Post
One of my most popular snacks to take to school field trips & big crowds is similar.
I buy whatever's on sale on the snack aisle-
Cheetos
Fritos
any small crackers
Chex Mix
nuts
sesame stix
pretzel sticks
any cereal that's easy to pick up - Cheerios, Life, Coco Puffs, etc.
It's always a hit!

Posts: 6664 | Registered: Aug 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
I just sampled a premixed and packaged snack mix the other day that included raisins, peanuts, cashews, dried apricots and M&Ms. A little too much salt and sweetness for me tho. I like plain unsealed nuts like raw or toasted almonds, shelled pistachios, or peanuts. I also like Swiss or sharp cheddar with mini unsalted pretzels. Peanut butter on unsalted top crackers, apple slices or Graham's is another.

Posts: 18703 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They all sound yummy!

Posts: 6086 | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My favorite snack is tacos with flavored tortilla chips. Easy to make (I usually prefer frozen filling) and lip smacking taste!

Classic Foods

Posts: 93 | Location: Killeen, Texas | Registered: Jul 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Amish country reminds me of my one time visit there. I bought a shoo fly pie to go. Oh what a mistake. I'll Never do that again.

Posts: 803 | Registered: Sep 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leafly:
Amish country reminds me of my one time visit there. I bought a shoo fly pie to go. Oh what a mistake. I'll Never do that again.

Was Shoo Fly not what you thought or was it bad?

Shoofly pie (or shoo-fly pie or Montgomery pie)[1] is a molasses pie considered traditional among the Pennsylvania Dutch and also known in Southern cooking.

The pie may get its name because the sweet molasses odor attracts flies that must be "shooed" away.[2]

The shoofly pie's origins may come from the treacle tart with the primary difference being the use of molasses rather than golden syrup.[3] A Montgomery pie is similar to a shoofly pie, except lemon juice is usually added to the bottom layer and buttermilk to the topping. A chess pie is also similar, but it is unlayered.

I like Chess pie, custard pies, etc. and probably this one as well.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Lurah,

Posts: 2791 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Nov 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
That snack mix could be an infinate number of combinations, all gone with a blink of the eye when there's something in there for everyone.

The other day at a friend's home for a luncheon meeting guests were treated to candy corn. Someone said M&M's now making it also, with white chocolate. Haven't seen that yet.

Anyway, asked if she should pass the candy dish around the table, one gal said, only if it has peanuts mixed with it, otherwise I don't care for candy corn! Our hostess had a divided dish, one side just plain candy corn, the other side had peanut & candy corn mix (think salted nut roll taste.)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Lurah,

Posts: 2791 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Nov 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post